Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Maybe just have a single piece of 'armor' and weapons with no tiers for iron that lasts the entire game, with them made from resources giving them a minor damage/protection buff but a unique property for a big cost. That way you can build a few elite units that stand out but overall combat balance is mostly the same the entire game.

I suggested this exactly on the official forums 18 months ago and got ignored. It's such a pain in the rear end trying to figure out if it's cost-effective to give X unit adamantium gloves, boots and a helmet... No then I can only build 2, what about just the boots and helmet and glassteel gloves? No, I don't produce enough glassteel for that. Oh gently caress, I wanted that adamantium trinket for my hero, start over. gently caress it, I'll just wait until I have 100 stockpiled and upgrade everything.

The thing that's especially bizarre to me is the sheer number of trinkets they crammed in that I can't imagine anyone ever using. I can't even remember an example, but there's like 20+ with ridiculously circumstantial abilities and pretty nontrivial costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Darkrenown posted:

Looking at EL Tempest, the new Morgwr race's description mentions they want more than just the planet, so perhaps we'll see them in ES2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7C0YieQmeKE

Actually, that's kind of a running theme for EL races.

The Vaulters' questline is to build a ship, the Cult mentions taking their crusade beyond Auriga, the Necrophages say that when they've eaten everything on Auriga, they'll "look to the stars, still hungry", etc.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
So with the new expansion, would anyone be up for giving MP another shot?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
As far as I've been able to tell, the AI doesn't actually do any of the faction quests, it just automatically completes them after a (difficulty-dependent?) set amount of time, with minor variability.

Unless it's changed, I don't think the AI actually completes the last step though, so you don't have to panic.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
The Morgawr are fun, but I'm skeptical about their multiplayer odds. It really feels like the only thing stopping adjacent players from just curb stomping me in the early game is AI stupidity.

It strikes me that the faction of mind controlling assholes whose ground army sucks should have the force peace ability rather than the Drakken who actually have one of the strongest militaries.

Speedball posted:

Ugh, the thing that keeps getting me is goddamn Fomorian boats appearing out of nowhere to kill my fortresses. You really need to garrison every one of them or you run the risk of losing them.

It's not that bad since you can reconquer them just as fast and don't have to rebuild them like minor villages. It is kind of weird that they have no built-in defenses at all though given that they're called fortresses and all.

BitterAvatar posted:

So I'm mostly through my first campaign and there's only 2 of us left and we're allied and now I feel like I'm stuck in this game for another 120 turns to reach the scientific victory if I don't want to declare war. My faction quest requires me to take a territory from him and neither of us will ever capture of enough territories for that kind of victory. Are there any other options? Fighting the guy feels like it'd be a huge slog.

Megazver is right, I wouldn't even consider going for the science victory unless you're Vaulters or hate yourself.

I just started playing again, but aren't there 2 military victories? One that's control X proportion of territories and one that's conquer all capitols?

The second one is probably faster if you're trying to avoid a slog.

The faction questline victory is also very slow since the last step requires you to build something MASSIVE.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Oct 18, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
The Capitol has a little crown icon next to its name on the world map.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cephas posted:

For cultists, do you have any reason to research extractors for resources that aren't in your city's region? Like, do you need to know the research for harvesting spice in order to receive any from your converted villages? I couldn't find any explanation in the game.

Yes, though not having to build the extractors themselves gets really nice with the Tier 3 ones, which are actually pretty expensive.

Weirdly, nobody needs the techs for Sea Fortress resources.

Technologies that are literally useless for a race (e.g. +science techs for Forgotten or +food techs for BL) do not appear on the tech tree.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I'm interested in getting Endless Legend MP happening again and want to get an idea of who's interested and what times are reasonable.

If you haven't played it before, it really is way, way better than the SP and no one will bully you if you don't know what you're doing.

So interest check on Sunday @ 3 PM ET?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Are the mogawr kind of op? By turn 50 I was getting 80 influence a turn from just my citadels (had an influence thing on one of them). I didn't have to focus on influence at all ever and could pretty mucheap max out my empire plan every time.

I suspect that part of the reason that they seem OP in SP is because the AI probably doesn't distinguish between naval/army power when it's deciding if you're vulnerable to attack. In the current game I'm playing, I think either the adjacent Drakken or Wild Walkers could have wiped me off the map in a 5-turn war if they realized that Leviathans can't defend cities.

Brendan Rodgers posted:

I'm in, though how are the desync issues on late game now, ain't played MP for a few expansions/DLCs.

Good question. I've only played Shifters/Tempest for a few hours and I've gotten at least two program locks, so we'll have to see.

Spanish Matlock posted:

Sunday at 3pm would be 3am monday for me, but I'd be down for anything that fits into the Taipei time zone.

Sooo like Sunday morning (Sunday night for me) or Saturday around noon (saturday around midnight)

Chadzok posted:

That'd be 6am Monday here in AU. I'm totally down, always wanted to try mp.

Oh, my bad.

How about a roll call on:

Saturday at Noon, ET (NEVERMIND)
1. Avasculous
2. Drunk Spanish Matlock
3. BadOptics
4. Chocolate Chunk

Sunday 9 AM, ET.
1. Avasculous
2. Drunk Spanish Matlock
3. Generic Octopus
4. BadOptics
5. Chocolate Chunk
6. The Deleter
7. ?

(we can add more slots or split into 2 games if there's tons of interest)

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Oct 22, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Looks like we're doing tomorrow, at 9 AM ET.

I'll post something in the Goon Legend Steam group, PM me there or here for an invite.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Happy to have you. We're playing at 9 AM ET, which is 2 PM BST?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

mitochondritom posted:

which is why I like Endless Legend so much, but with Civ VI they just haven't sat down and objectively looked at the things they were implementing and its so obvious.

Honestly, 'too much content' is hardly a fair complaint, and I'm not rooting for release-day Civ (haven't played VI), but there's so many spinning plates in Endless Legend + all the expansions that I keep loving up the basic things now, like "oh poo poo, none of my cities have governors" or, "oh yeah, I should probably open the unit design screen for once in the past 3 eras."

I like that the game prods you if you haven't activated your overflowing boosters in a while, but I kind of wish they'd added reminders for the 50 other things to keep track of.

I still need to find out what the gently caress the moth-bat-people actually do besides "something with pearls."

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
You mean these chill guys?

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/the-grand-alliance/images/c/c0/Silicoid.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20140117035359

The ones who had a racial mechanic that tanked diplomacy, because their sheer ugliness started wars?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
GG, guys.

Everyone: "Is shared victory on?"
Slander: "Nah, don't think so.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
mgghhrrll

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Speedball posted:

Have to find them first! :haw:

Their cities don't have stealth.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

berenzen posted:

As for trade routes, they automatically happen when you research Imperial Highways and build the Right of Way improvement in your city. They'll automatically generate as more nearby cities build the Right of Way improvement.

Boroughs level up when there are 4 adjacent city expansion improvements beside them.

To add to this:

Both cities require a Right of Way to form a trade route between them. Trade routes generate an amount of Dust and Science based on the distance and size of cities trading and trade routes are automatically remapped each turn for maximum income. Right of Way gives each city a maximum of one route, which can be increased by other technologies. Domestic trade is automatic, trading with other players requires a Commercial Agreement and adjacent colonized regions.

There's a bunch of technologies and upgrades that improve trade multiplicatively and it can easily become your primary source of income/research in the mid->late game, especially if you're Roving Clans.

Cities can also trade by sea with the Cargo Docks improvement, which the Morgawr get in Era II and everyone else gets in Era IV (?).

Leveling boroughs is very important, because each level 1 borough imposes a negative happiness modifier and it's very easy to tank your happiness by just building districts in every direction. Level 2 boroughs give a positive happiness modifier instead, cushioning the penalty of expanding. The cult alone can upgrade districts to level 3, everyone else caps them at 2.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 25, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

The big thing with EL AI is it respects strength. If you want friends you need to carry the biggest stick.

This is its only consideration as far as I can tell. Cowering friendship if you're stronger, obnoxious bullying if you're weaker. Which is honestly pretty competent as far as play style goes.

The one thing I envy from another game was the confederation aspect in GalCiv2, which probably had the best 4x AI I've seen. Basically if any empire (AI or human) got too strong, one of the AIs would do a whip around of all the other players to form an alliance against them.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Chocolate Chunk posted:

Yeah, in last weekend's MP game, the Morgawr spawned on a 3 tile wide peninsula. He got every wonder building except the Museum because his tiles were so good

Actually, I hosed myself over a bit with that because there wasn't enough land on the peninsula to actually level up most of my districts/wonders, and I didn't want to risk losing the race by burroughing my way to the mainland.

The real reason my start was stupidly lucky was because there were 2 sea fortresses within sight of my 1st city, and they both gave me trivially easy quests. None of that "ambush you with 3 Fire Ships lol!" bullshit.

I've definitely had SP Morgawr starts where it took me ~20 turns to even find a sea fortress.

Besides that (which is significant), the bonuses the Morgawr get from sea tiles make them more resilient to awful start locations than most of the other races. Even Arctic gives you plenty of Food/Industry if you can find a peninsula.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

Added to the OP.

If anyone has anything else to contribute, please let me know. I still need to do a better ES2 writeup.

Awesome effortposts from Lichtenstein. I'd love to get something like that for each faction, especially since almost all of the steam and reddit guides are pretty dated, but I don't think I'm nearly knowledgeable to write one myself.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

I haven't had much of a change to play since Tempest released but I was wondering, can Cultists control ocean tiles? Because that seems like it'd be a really massive boon to them.

They can, Slaan took over the ocean region of JESUS FISH in our multiplayer game. Fortresses are pretty sweet in general, but why a massive boon for them in particular?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Chocolate Chunk posted:

I would have gotten away with it too, if it wasn't for those meddling kids GIANT SEA MONSTER WITH 4000 HEALTH

:argh:

You're braver than I am, I still haven't attacked that thing.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Spanish Matlock posted:

Doing the Sunday game this week?

Eh, sorry. I woke up a few hours ago after a night of bad decisions and I have a huge presentation tomorrow.

Maybe sometime this week, or next weekend?

Tollymain posted:

what means of production do the various factions want to settle on?

Very generally speaking:

-Food is important to everyone in the early game except Broken Lords for whom it's useless and invisible.
-Early cities for anyone need to generate a lot of Industry and/or Dust (i.e. you can't forego both).
-Broken Lords, Ardent Mages, and Forgotten are very Dust hungry.
-No one wants Tundra/Arctic/whatever it's called without strong incentives (anomalies, resources).

Wild Walkers: Forest
Vaulters: Science, strategics.
Necrophages: Industry, MF villages
Ardent Mages: Dust, Science
Drakken: Anything. Ruins give +inf.
Broken Lords: Desert, rivers.
Roving Clans: Anything, Dust.
Forgotten: Dust.
Allayi: Anything.
Morgawr: Coasts and rivers.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Generic Octopus posted:

The Era I boat (Boarding Vessel) also comes with the Boarding Party trait, which converts X% (tier 1 starts at 30%) of remaining life into bonus damage...and RC mercs get 2x health.

Oh Jesus, that didn't occur to me at all.

Vores are good, but don't seem wildly above the curve- I wonder if Roving Clans actually have a better navy.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I'm in.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
It's a little embarrassing that I have some 150+ hours in this game and I still keep encountering stuff like that that has never occurred to me.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Chocolate Chunk posted:

Seriously, wtf was with that map generation? The Morgawr were sitting all along by themselves. The land didn't have any resources anywhere. I don't know what happened there.

Mrrrgghhhlll!

Re: the resource thing, I'm pretty certain that with Tempest, they split existing resources in some proportion between land and sea. Which is kind of dumb, because it means ignoring the ocean (which is presented as a very optional thing) is totally shooting yourself in the foot.

I'm not sure if it was especially bad on that map for some reason- I thought BadOptics just used the default settings.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Nov 7, 2016

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Mokinokaro posted:

The ES1 races were okay (outside of being too human heavy I feel,) but they had a lot of weird poo poo caused by being too open with the community votes. Like one of the administrator heroes was literally GladOS from Portal because the Portal memes were big at the time. The main problem with ES1 is a lot of it just feels incomplete and bland.

Conversely, the Cult of the Eternal End in Endless Legend is also community-designed and is probably the most interesting faction in fluff and mechanics.

They're a cult led by an abandoned AI devoted not to worshipping their gods, but hunting them down and destroying them for being absentee landlords.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

HookedOnChthonics posted:

e: so for the person who wanted to know how you play cultists, this is how: :v:

There's a pretty solid consensus that Custom Race is breakable as hell.

I'm not sure that that, play an underpopulated map, and save scum for Wonders are the most useful tips for newbies on "how to play Cultists."

I mean, straight-up editing the game files is also a pretty unbeatable strategy.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

I appreciate the advice, and I'd like to get to this point someday but I always get savagely murdered in the early game. Their units seem rather... bad.

Preachers are terrible at fighting, and not even good at supporting in combat. I would strictly use them to hit more Ruins/Villages on the strategic map. You can even upgrade them with the Movement trinket at the start of the game to cover more ground, if you're not starved for Dust.

I think Angry Diplomat and Spanish Matlock hit the key stuff. You want to exploit the hell out of Convert to get a huge workforce, passive Resource income, and free units. Look especially for the stronger combat Minors like Kazanji and Urces- you're not paying for them anyway, so their higher cost doesn't matter.

In addition to what Angry Diplomat said about selling spare Minors on the Marketplace (there's probably a better way to word that), it's also way more cost-effective for Cult than anyone else to buy Luxuries since you need a much lower amount for the Boost. In the mid-late game, you should have as many boosts as you can running nonstop.

Happiness is trivial for the Cult since they don't have Expansion penalties.

The Cult has one of the most rewarding questlines, as long as you don't get bogged down by the Destroy a City step. The early Trinket reward (signet ring or something) they get is a really nice boost, and you can put it on units- I thought it was Hero only for a while and missed out.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Feb 11, 2017

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

I really liked the original, it was like a true follow up to Master of Orion 2. Then they decided to recreate MOO 3 for some reason.

I'm a huge fan of MOO2 and tried repeatedly to get into Sword of the Stars without success. I'm sure it's a great game if you put the work into circumventing the painful UI and figuring out what the gently caress is going on, but I couldn't do it.

I didn't even try the sequel, but the release was comically bad. I remember people saying that the Diplomacy screen button was grayed out in the release version of the game.

Fangz posted:

You know, this is where the whole lore kinda falls apart a bit. It's okay having dust be basically currency... But then how does trade generate it? I mean if it was fiat money, or we could just change the value of dust that would be fine, but dust is an actual substance that needs to be mined. It shouldn't just appear because you are real good at trading.

You know fiat currency is not all that old, right?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Fangz posted:

That's a debatable point, but what I meant is that dust acts like fiat money in that you can create it through government policy and able administrators, but the lore has it as a physical object with a set intrinsic value.

Historically you can't set an empire plan and get more gold, you had to either mine it or invade someone and take it off them.

I mean, historically you can't set an empire plan to make knights cost less production or improve soldiers' eyesight either. All of the mechanics are abstractions.

"Creating dust through government policy/able administrators" could just be negotiating a better rate on our beaver pelt exports, or hanging bureaucrats to reduce wastage.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Flipswitch posted:

Any tips on Necrophages? I like them but suck with them. Especially early game.

You're not just good at fighting, you have to be fighting, because of the way food works for them.

They suck at farming (-1 food on all hexes), but get free food from stuff dying in combat.

In order to get that free food, you have to activate it from your empire screen. I think it's every 8 units gives you 1 stockpile, which you can activate for a specific city to give it 100 food instantly. This gives you a lot of momentum in the early game (if you're fighting), and you should be able to get a few huge cities fast.

Necrodrones are probably the single most efficient unit in the game and should be your go-to unless someone is spamming archers at you.

Make a beeline for their Age 2 upkeep reduction tech. It's really, really good.

Their sacrifice population for happiness tech, on the other hand, is garbage.

Also spam burroughs. Necrophages only need 1 population for every burrough, everyone else needs two. Having huge sprawling cities helps to make up for the fact that you can't trade like everyone else in the late game.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Prism posted:

Smoking the Trees: The Unfallen can force peace by sacrificing a population unit, as their smoke is intoxicating and has an extreme pacification effect. This truce lasts twice as long as a normal truce as the effect of the smoke is addictive, too. This sacrifice is highly regarded as one of the most noble things an Unfallen can do.

This is a joke, right? I know you said it was being reworked, but how was it even being considered?

It sounds like a way less costly version of one of the most powerful (and certainly the most annoying) abilities in EL, and the description reads like the kind of wink wink nudge nudge humor I expect from a 14-year-old.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

The Unlife Aquatic posted:

There's still one unreleased major faction, and the Vaulters and Harmony are still in the files. Perhaps one of them will make a return.

Isn't this the Unfallen? Or did you mean another one, after them?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

Hmm, Unfallen for my first playthrough, I think.

Anyway I bought Endless Legend on a whim and dived in without knowing much about it, and I've had a great time gradually working out that it is a work of sci-fi rather than just weird fantasy....

As someone pointed out earlier in the thread, it's great that Dust being nanomachines makes EL the one 4x game where construction buyout actually makes sense.

I also like how some of the factions are stale fantasy tropes turned on their heads:

Wildwalkers = Wood Elves, but have gone full Saruman on the woods
Broken Lords = Undead, but honorable knights trying to regain their humanity instead of evil/mindless zombies
Cult of the Eternal End = Religious fanatics, but instead of serving their gods are devoted to hunting them down and destroying them

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

There is also a game called dungeon of the endless which takes place on auriga starring a cast of characters who crash-land there in a spaceship.

There's actually a cool narrative thread that connects all of the games.

Dungeon takes place thousands of years before EL, which takes place thousands (?) of years before ES.

Dungeon and EL are both set on the world Auriga, which is actually an abandoned Endless research laboratory. The monsters (Endless experiments) you encounter in Dungeon later populate the surface along with the Endless invention Dust (nanomachines), becoming the fantasy monsters and 'magic' of EL.

The Vaulters in EL are descended from the protagonists of Dungeon and the robot medic narrates their questline, which is about building a ship to escape the dying world and becoming the ES Vaulters.

Auriga is primordial in Dungeon, 'dying' in EL, and a lifeless rock in ES.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Ragingsheep posted:

The thing I'm having trouble with is that there are so many loving techs that I really don't understand which one to research first.

I'm having this problem too. It also feels like an excessive number of basic abilities that everyone needs are gated behind techs, a lot of which are not even early.

Colonization is especially rough. It feels like it's really easy to start with nothing available in your vicinity, forcing you to either:
-Spend 25 turns colonizing a mediocre world 8 systems away
-Research fairly deep into the tech tree so that you can colonize one nearby planet
-Research the inter-constellation tech, travel to a neighbor, and probably still have to do one of the other two

It makes sense that Lava and Toxic worlds need tech to colonize, but Mediterranean/Desert/Jungle, really?

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 14, 2017

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Cease to Hope posted:

if your leading party is the environmentalists, you can colonize any telluric (non-gas giant) planet, with a happiness and max pop penalty on planets you don't have the tech for.

Oh, I thought that was a Horatio-specific ability. I didn't realize it was because they start as Environmentalists.

Is there some way to force the leading party to change early though?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Onean posted:

I believe the policies you enact, buildings you construct and science you research influences the shifting parties in the political system. I haven't played since the first major update though, so I don't know if they've changed the system in that time.

This is still the case, but it takes a lot of time to shift this way, especially if you're stuck with one colony. I was really asking if you can force an early switch to Environmentalism to deal with starting without any usable worlds nearby without falling way behind.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I might be functionally brain-damaged, but how do you actually use/activate luxuries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

They can be used in 3 ways.
The first way is in upgrading a systems' development level. Go into your economy screen and if you have the tech you can click on the development level and put a resource into the box(es). Different resource give different bonuses. It's an odd system but it works out.
The second way is by feeding them to your pops via the population screen (you can get to it quick by clicking on a pop in your system view's pop totals). Every game every species is assigned a random luxury that makes them grow gooder, feed them and they grow more.
The third way is by selling them on the market for $$$$$

Thanks, that was driving me crazy. I've got 10,000 potatoes lying around, and I missed the system development tech, and the system population screen for that matter.