Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

victrix posted:

I ask this knowing the answer is no, but I'll ask anyway

Can the AI actually play this game semi-competitively with a human?

There are shades of intelligence beyond what was in EL. In the game I'm playing now, my immediate rival has refit his ships repeatedly to counter mine, and now that I'm snowballing, three of the AIs have allied against me.

It's still dumb as hell though, unfortunately. It will colonize worlds on the opposite side of your empire, and then run helpless colonists straight through your navy over and over, letting you kill them for tons of money. It can have an overwhelming military advantage over you and will just vaguely blockade your border systems, very occasionally invading one.

I can kind of understand its reticence though, because the way invasions work is loving annoying.

Is there any way to get around the defender just Conscripting every single turn? It seems impossible to wipe out large garrisons in one attack, and the fact that he can refill his Garrison every turn for 1 Pop in a 28 Pop system is... tedious. Not to mention that I don't even want the system if I have to murder every last citizen to take it over. And how the hell is he conscripting tanks anyways?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Prism posted:

In other news, you'd think you'd notice Low Gravity as soon as you got there without extra investigation, really.

Yeah, well, you'd think aircraft and colonizing "Arid" worlds would predate INTERSTELLAR TRAVEL but here we are.

Edit- count to think of it, that actually makes sense for the Riftborn though.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 02:00 on May 20, 2017

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
The Sophons are not evil at all. They're just naive and reckless. An entire race of Leonard of Quirms from Discworld.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, I'd even say the Sophons can be unambiguously moral if you're playing them that way. I mean, in their quest you can even try to teach ENFER that tolerance is a good thing.

Do the faction quests only have 4 steps?

I'm 4 steps into the Sophons military path (which appears to be the end), and they're not even evil there. It's just them repeatedly giving ENFER power and then having to blow up ENFER.

The final quest was actually really anticlimactic- literally just invade an undefended system spawned next to my capitol.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Antti posted:

Economic victory might be a little poorly tuned.

That and happiness, I think.

I've only played a game as Sophons, but my systems were all Ecstatic for most of the game with none of the hero abilities, maybe 1-2 of the several happiness buildings I had techs for, and me being too lazy/clueless to game the politics system or exploit luxuries.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Ramadu posted:

Man, does this game run pretty poorly for other people? Lots of lag just adding buildings to the queue. Is there some kind of memory leak?

Runs increasingly poorly after turn 100 or so. Aren't memory leaks resolved by saving, restarting the application, and loading? Because that doesn't help.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Jastiger posted:

I wish there was a way to make my ships move faster, they take forever to get anywhere. The colony had lost all its buildings by the time i got there, and i sent a settler straight away.

There's a few ways:
-A lot of the Science and Exploration techs give you upgraded engines, but you have to go to the Ship Designer and Edit your colony ship blueprint to add them. I think there's even a couple of ship upgrades that boost movement for the entire fleet.
-There's at least one science law that boosts movement for all of your ships.
-A lot of the heroes have fleet movement boosting powers, but it's probably kind of insulting to put them on a colony ship.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
I think there's a battle tactic that nerfs the hell out of long-range damage- like -50% or -75% for both sides. No idea if the AI is smart enough to use it though.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Perestroika posted:

I'm at my third attempt at a game now, and only now things finally start to click and develop a proper flow for me. I appreciate the depth, but goddamn this game can be overwhelming as all hell early on.

I wish there were a reminder if you haven't passed any laws in a while. Some of them are extremely powerful, and I keep completely forgetting to use them once I start getting the influence for it.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Pierson posted:

Yeah everyone is, and people are saying it wasn't this bad in EA either. Feels like a patch should be on the way though.

Turning down the graphics to minimum didn't help with this at all.

Someone posted an interesting finding on the main forum though:
https://www.games2gether.com/endles...fs-a-lot?page=1

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Speedball posted:

I'm a little fuzzy on what manpower actually does. Is it something I need to have my ships regenerate health?

Available soldiers, basically. Whenever you build a ship or gain a colony, it gets filled to capacity from your global manpower. If that's insufficient, it gets distributed out to them in drips. Riftborn have to manually build manpower, I think everyone else gets it based on population/techs/buildings.

Ships can only replenish manpower (after invading) in your own systems.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
For anyone who's having slowdown issues in later turns, try switching to Windowed mode. It makes it way smoother/faster for me.

Am I missing something, or is Tower of Temporal Paradox utter garbage? It's a tier 4 tech, Riftborn exclusive, and the Tower is the only thing the tech gives you:

Once per empire building:
+1 Dust, bonus increases by +1 every turn

Compare that to Cube of the Viceroy, a Riftborn exclusive, tier 2 tech:

Once per empire building:
+25 Dust per System Level
+5 Dust per Original Empire Population

And the tech also unlocks Production Buyout.

Did they forget to multiply Tower by 10 or something?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

ZypherIM posted:

Do I need a certain tech to take over a minor faction? Only problem with the tech tree is finding crap that I have no idea of (once you kind of know it isn't too bad to find poo poo).

You need a tier 1 purple tech to communicate with them at all.

You boost your relationship with them by praising them (costs influence), bribing them with luxuries, and doing things they lIke (blowing up poo poo if they're warmongers).

The higher it gets, the more tribute they send you.

When it gets high enough (only like 60% of the bar), the option to Assist them opens- they give you a simple quest, and if you do it they join you outright.

Sometimes Assist stays grayed out because they are 'already aligned with someone else'. I think this means they've already given a quest to an AI.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Paper Kaiju posted:

While we're on the subject of Victories, has anyone actually managed to win with a Science or Wonder victory? I just finished an Unfallen game, and I researched all four '... of the Endless' techs AND built all three Obelisks, without earning a victory. I checked the Victory display, and it confirmed that I had built 3 out of 3 Obelisks needed, but the Science Victory display was contradictory. It says 'Research all four victory technologies to win', but under that it says 'Progress: You have researched 4 out of 6 required Technologies of the Endless'. I couldn't find any additional Endless techs on the tree.

Eventually my alliance with the Lumeris triggered a shared Economic Victory, but then it ALSO said that we had a Wonder Victory. Does having a Alliance alter the victory requirements?

Yes, both. And yes, your alliance theory is correct.

I ran into exactly the problem you describe with the wonder victory- built all 3 obelisks, didn't get a victory screen for 3-4 turns.

I terminated my alliance and got the victory screen on end turn.

My guess is that for Science and Wonder, all members of the alliance have to satisfy the victory condition in order to get a shared win. It sort of makes sense as a balance measure for the Wonder victory- because otherwise you could pool the Strategics/Dust of multiple players to build 3 Obelisks really early.

It doesn't make any sense for the Science victory though, since you can't 'pool' science.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

NmareBfly posted:

I really like the Riftborn but they don't work quite as well thematically with some of the random event quests you get. They feel like they should be distinct enough that they get some entirely different strings and flavor text but that'd be a whole pile of effort I suppose. The main quest is great, I just mean the random one-offs.

If you're doing the Riftborn main quest, whatever you do, don't take the Ecology option for the last step.

It requires you to get 4 systems to 30% Ecologist. Note that this is not the Senate seats, which are easy to force with Lobbying or by just going Dictatorship. The quest wants the actual popular support to hit 30% in 4 systems.

Good loving luck. Riftborn get 1/2 influence from Ecology events, 1x-2x from everything else, don't grow food (+ecology), and have probably mainly colonized Sterile worlds (so no one else is growing much food either).

After 80 turns of researching every Ecology tech left on the tree one after another, building every +ecology building I could, passing 4 ecology laws (+ food), and finally spamming about 50 colony ships in a row in each system, I couldn't get Ecologist support in any system above rock bottom.

The Industrialist option, by comparison, is something like: Colonize 4 worlds with Antimatter and 2 worlds with Adamantium.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Clarste posted:

The Riftborn became much more satisfying to me once I realized that building a Riftborn pop was usually a far more efficient use of production than an improvement or a ship. Although frankly I think their time bubble gimmick is kind of... boring? Annoying? It just feels like busywork, and I can't really imagine a situation where I'd want anything other than +25% FIDS on all my best colonies filled with super-pops. I kind wish that instead they'd gone all in on the reverse terraforming theme and been able to purge their planets of all life or something (something like Harmony in ES1).

I actually think the population gimmick is kind of boring, because it's such a no-brainer. As you said, they're outright better than a lot of improvements, so I found myself spamming population in every system for a lot of the time.

The +25% FIDS singularity definitely seems better than the negative starting one, and I agree that it's busywork to place- would be nice if you could automate refreshing it. I think where the choice might become interesting is because you can only have 3 up at a time, and the later ones are interesting:
-Expensive one that counts the top building in production as completed (not wonders, couple of other things). Not sure this beats +25% on a best system, but you can probably do some nifty things like use a big Industrial building to accelerate its own construction on a new system, and then spam pop way faster.
-Expensive one that I didn't try, lets you accelerate passing fleets and replay combats somehow?
-Insanely science-costly one (think like 1.5x the cost of Endless techs) that completely freezes a system for 10 turns- no production, nothing moves in or out, no hero reassignments. It's way too late to see having much impact, but if they notch that down I can see this being backbreaking.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Clarste posted:

Given that the goal is specifically four systems though, and not 30% of empire in general, I think the only way you could possibly do it would be to create flesh-ghettos out of Ecologist minor factions. Which sounds... incredibly tiresome unless you specifically plan this out from the very beginning of the game. On the other hand, it's simple enough to assimilate a minor faction system and then simply never build a Riftborn there. It feels bad not to use your mega-dudes, but it's not difficult.

Actually, I almost added the same thought to the end of my post. I didn't even try, because all of the Minor Factions I had at that point were similarly Industrial-minded. But as you said, it does sound really tiresome if you don't luck into it/have it set up way in advance.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Clarste posted:

Or:
  • Yes, you could do that... or you could just ship Riftborn pops from your main systems and get 25% more science and dust too. Since it doesn't work on Wonders, it strikes me as really bad.
  • Or you could get more dust, science, and production and win the game. I can't think of a situation where a single fancy maneuver like is worth the cost of falling behind on your general economic growth.
  • Assuming that your opponent has a system that's even remotely worth freezing, maybe? I mean I guess if someone else is building a Wonder Victory or something? Although given that you're the freaking Riftborn you probably could've already completed it yourself if you hadn't wasted all that time researching this instead of winning. ...You also lose the boost that would help you finish your Wonder 25% faster.

As for the pop gimmick, I'm a crazy person who actually liked the Sowers in the first game, so I dunno. I agree it's not really a choice in most cases, but it does affect the rhythm of their gameplay. You don't have to worry about wasting food by not colonizing an extra planet in time, for example. I like having total control of their population. As I said though, I just wish they'd had a more permanent terraforming gimmick instead of just constantly refreshing time bubbles. Make them even more about perfectly controlling their colonies, down to every detail. I think that fits their "pure order" theme better than time bubbles anyway.

Well fine! With your valid points and dislike for highly situational gimmick plays.

I'm going to do a playthrough where I just race to the freezing singularity and see if it's as potent as I think. Being able to shut an opponent's fleet out of the game for 10 turns at a time at any distance, in a way that can't be countered, repeatably, seems like it would make it really hard to lose a war.

I agree that no amount of usefulness can make up for the fact that you can probably literally complete a wonder victory before having that tech however.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Yeah ok, gently caress the Riftborn Stasis Singularity.

The tech costs 2x what any of the Endless techs do. IE, right off the bat, you could be over halfway to a science victory (if you get the Endless science tech first) in the time it takes to research. Trying to rush it, I got it around turn 140.

The thing itself costs 15000 Dust, and 5 of each of the endgame strategics (purple, green) to build. It's a little hard to tell since the AI is kind of terrible, but based on completely loving a Vodyani player with it by catching his 30 CP fleet, it is a pretty insurmountable "I win" button- especially since I had more than enough income to throw out 3 at a time, continuously. It just comes about 60 turns too late to matter.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Overminty posted:

I'm probably misunderstanding what you mean but I've definitely had multiple buildings complete on the same turn. The auto interrupt would be good though.

He's talking about the Governor dropdown thing, where you tell a colony to auto-build prioritizing Food/Industry/Approval/Science/etc. It only queues one building at a time.

IIRC, Endless Legend automatically stored production overflow and applied it to the next building. Is that not a thing in ES2?

e:fb

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Speedball posted:

I'm not really sure why ice planets (and ice environments in Legend) get +Science from a lore perspective but, more importantly, it follows the coloring scheme of the FIDS so it's easy to remember. Blue=Science.

Game balance, but it actually also makes a fair amount of sense.

1. Hostile environments push innovation to survive and maximize resources. See all the random day-to-day innovations in everything from nutrition to firehouses that have filtered out of the space program.

2. Alien environments increase the likelihood of observing phenomena outside the norm.

3. Finally, a lot of advanced physics, chemistry, and engineering applications require such absolutely stable conditions that a frozen wasteland (or the depths of space) are probably the best places to do them.

None of this really applies to EL, where innovation doesn't go much further than a printing press, but... you know.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
The Craver questline reward is impressively lame.

You get your choice of:
-Defeat an NPC fleet -> gain the ability to ignore forced truces for free.
-Control 74 planets (about half the loving galaxy) -> Gain 2 Influence for every CP of ships you destroy.

I miss the Endless Legend questlines, which were twice as long and often totally undoable, but gave suitably massive rewards.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

Huh, when I got that quest as Cravers it was only 16 planets. What size galaxy are you playing in? I was on Large so maybe it scales.

Oh, no it must scale to turn.

I think I was playing on Medium, but I had a bug or something that stopped me from completing Step 1 (Intercept the ship) for 100+ turns until I quit and logged back in.

So if you do it in a timely fashion, that's a lot more reasonable of an objective- but the reward is still pretty lame and irrelevant to the Craver lore.

Destroying planets is incredibly pointless, for anyone curious. You need an endgame Military tech to get a Ship Module that can only go on a large ship with no other weapon modules. It takes a huge amount of production to build (like, comparable to the Obelisk), and then that defenseless ship has to hover in an enemy system for 5 turns before it can blow up one of that system's planets.

Unless your ground forces are complete garbage (despite you being at the end of the military tree) or you're really, really lazy about refilling fleet manpower, I can't imagine any scenario where it wouldn't be way faster/easier/more beneficial to just invade and conquer the entire system with the large ship and the fleet you need protecting it.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 18:34 on May 24, 2017

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Warfare isn't so hot, however, since the AI apparently is dogshit terrible at designing ships? I mean, when your basic attack ship does single digit damage to whatever I design, your ability to spam ships and grow pops super fast is kinda useless. At least I can confirm that the "bigger ship = plain better than point equivalent in smaller ships" theory is true as of now.

That seems accurate, but also the way it should work. If small hulls were just as good as their point equivalent in larger hulls, you'd never bother with the greater research/production cost.

I don't know about the AI being bad at designing ships, or for that matter how much room there is to be 'good' at it. With the exception of the absolutely critical siege module and some of the fleet buffing ones, most of the utility stuff just seems way too marginal and circumstantial when I look at them. I had the same issue with a lot of the equipment in EL (Ring: +12% morale when at < half health and adjacent to two enemies during a siege!). Are people really getting mileage out of the +10% chance to be targeted/-10% chance to be targeted/+2 manpower killed with every shot/etc modules?

In terms of impact, the much bigger warfare issue with the AI is that it seems totally oblivious to the card system, which definitely does make a huge difference.

Just a line or two of code telling it "pick the +shield card if they have tons of energy damage, pick the +armor card if they have tons of ballistic damage" would make combat way harder.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

DarkAvenger211 posted:

My invasions don't seem to be making much sense. I went to invade a system, and the battle went poorly, with most of my guys dying. At the end of the battle it says something like 185/700 remaining. The next turn I get the same ground battle prompt without trying to attack and I'm back up to 700/700. What's up?

Your fleet has a total manpower stock, but in each turn, you can only deploy a set amount of Manpower (in your case 700).

So 700 of your guys went down, most of them died, and then next turn it refilled to 700 from the fleet stock.

I think most of us are annoyed with this system to varying degrees.

Some of the technologies increase how many guys you can send down at once. I pretty much always choose Bombardment unless I have an overwhelming advantage.

Baronjutter posted:

I also have invasion issues. My troops never seem to refill on ships unless I send them back to my space and let them sit in orbit for a while. I swear I saw supply transports before, but even sitting around in neutral space right next to my home system everyone stays at 0/150 troops, my systems never send supply ships.

No, that's normal. You can only refill ship manpower in your space.

It takes a single turn, unless you don't have enough Manpower in your Empire, in which case it refills as fast as it can.

The 'supply ships' you saw were probably going to a colony.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 26, 2017

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

prometheusbound2 posted:

Is it viable to play this game as peaceful scientists/traders/builders? I keep trying to play this way as Sophons, but run up against pirates and neighbors with stronger navies that then declare war or raid me. I then research military technologies and build up a defensive navy, and all of a sudden the militarists are in control of my government.

I wish there was a way to build up positive relations with other empires through trade routes(and maybe there is and I'm missing it) or some bloc building system like religions in Civ IV.

I assume it works just like other 4xs where if you have no military or a very weak military, the AI can tell and will bully/murder you.

I do think the Senate goes Militarist way too easily right now. As you said, just vaguely defending yourself for a few turns tends to flip your Ecological/Scientific Utopia into Sparta.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

nessin posted:

Bombardment never worked as the tooltip described in the beta and initial release. Don't know if it got fixed in one of the subsequent patches but if you're selecting bombardment constantly that might be why you're annoyed with the system.

Oh, that's concerning. I feel like it's more effective than Blitz, but obviously I've never Save/Loaded to test that.

quote:

Also most of the annoyances I've seen people having is that they can't bum rush a strong system in one turn. Which is fine to be annoyed about if that's what you want, but hardly much of an actual criticism on the system.

Actually, the main thing that annoys me is the potency (and ease) of spamming Conscription. I think it should either have some cost (approval?) or limit (only generates infantry?) added to it.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Antti posted:

Thanks, this also helped. Looks like the two key pieces of information were that villages spawn armies so if you don't have a plan to assimilate them soon just genocide them (you can always rebuild them later), and that you can and should customize FIDSI in cities. I'm now leading the AI slightly in the score on turn 58 as opposed to being 200 behind on turn 130.

The 'do something about villages' tip is what I was going to tell you- the Roaming Armies don't come out of nowhere. Parley with everyone, because a lot of the quests are trivially easy and give considerable rewards in addition to shutting down the roaming armies. They also go up in level as soon as anyone hits one of the higher Tech ages (forget which one) and if you're really far behind you get hosed. We had goon MP games where Roaming Armies eliminated newbies because of this.

If you really don't want to deal with them, I think there's also a separate difficulty slider for them that you can tone down.

Finally, don't get caught up on your score vs. AI. The EL scoring tends to weight military very highly, and since the AI gets quantitative bonuses at most difficulty levels and basically spams units, you'll almost definitely lag behind in the early-mid game.

There's actually an achievement to have the high score for X number of turns at the start of an Endless difficulty game, and people have said you pretty much have to crank up Anomalies and restart until you get an insane, 6-anomaly starting location to pull it off.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 27, 2017

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Gamesguy posted:

Anybody interested in a weekly MP game?

I'd be very interested since MP was by far the best way to play EL.

Not so interested with Custom factions or if the Desync issues are still a problem.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Baronjutter posted:

This game still has so many bugs. I don't want to be like the people raving on the forums about FULL REFUNDS and DECEPTIVE BUSINESS but I think it's really hosed up that this sort of behavior has become so normalized in PC gaming. (still better than stellaris though)

I don't disagree about the bugs and normalization, but I give Amplitude a lot more latitude than most developers because they're a small studio, doing some very cool things, and they've been great about continuously fixing and expanding other titles for long after release.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Kalko posted:

I've only been playing for a few days, as the UE, and when I found out I could ship my population around between planets and systems I thought I'd stumbled onto a great way to rig an election, but it seems like the base political affiliation of each race doesn't actually mean anything?

I eventually realized that one of my systems that had no militarist races at all was still showing massive support for the militarist party, so I'm guessing when you fight battles or declare war it's like a global modifier for all your systems. I might try this, but if I had a system which had never built any military ships or buildings and had no militarist races would it actually show limited support for that party?

Your guess is correct. Every party has associated techs/buildings/actions that globally increase its support among your people.

Base affiliation actually means a lot, but it's more receptiveness to the above than outright affiliation. So Cravers for example get 2x influence from Military actions, and 1/2 influence from Pacifist.

Finally, Militarism seems overly weighted compared to other parties right now- if you're in a war at all, you tend to go hard Militarism, even if you've been doing something else for the last 50 turns.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Gobblecoque posted:

I like how they cyber crusader lady will send those leech ships to suck up your population and then get really mad when you blow them up because "hey those are unarmed civilian ships!"

Actually that sounds like a pretty accurate portrayal of diplomacy.

You're leaving out the best part, which is that if you yourself play Vodyani and send leech ships, the AI sees that as a hostile action.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Kanthulhu posted:

I need a tutorial to understand how to play the Vodyani. I tried playing them but I detached my Ark to fight some quest spawned pirates and then my upkeep erased my money before I could return and produce money again :downs:.

So, Vodyani: How do you play them right?

Find a Minor Race ASAP to leech off of. Build a couple of military ships early to keep pirates from obliterating your leech ships. Prioritize colonization techs (Gas planet especially) and find systems where you can 'colonize' 4-5 planets at once.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

toasterwarrior posted:

Jesus Christ, Impossible mode is nonstop war. I pretty much only feel comfortable playing as UE in it because I can poo poo out a billion ships with a decent loadout at a clip that can match up against the enemy AI. And that's enemy AI, because these fuckers are certainly not your friends; they will backstab you because I suspect that have some "destroy the human" programming or are hard-coded to gang up on anyone in the middle of a war.

They're not. Their aggression towards other players is largely influenced by their difference in current military score (strength).

At lower difficulties, the AI doesn't get a lot of bonuses and you can kind of keep pace, so they act like lazy pacifists towards you.

At higher difficulties, the AI gets huge quantitative bonuses that you can't possibly keep up with for most of the game, so they act like a bunch of belligerent assholes and Impossible would be literal if they had a clue what to do.

If you're looking for a tip to make things easier, the AI is completely inept at surviving early game-rushes, even on Endless. If you research the first military hull and throw a fleet of 3 or 4 of them at the nearest AI before turn 30 or so (?), you can easily eliminate them and take their bonused-up worlds.

Avasculous fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 31, 2017

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Gamesguy posted:

I'm starting a weekly game with a few people from another forum. Looks like It'll be Saturdays at 8pm PST if you're interested. No custom factions, still 2 slots left.

http://doodle.com/poll/99trike9qiukz5b2

Thanks, I signed up.

redreader posted:

Thanks! I appreciate it. What race should I start with? I just bought it.

Honestly, any of them. Sophons are probably the most vanilla/straightforward.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Are we doing the Multiplayer game tonight?

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Shab posted:

Seconded, I'd watch the hell out of that

Joke's on you, we'll probably desync and restart 6 times in 40 minutes and give up.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Trip report: The technical aspect worked a lot better than I expected. We did have several desyncs, but in a surprise improvement from EL, they happen after the start-of-turn autosave, so they took literally 2 minutes to fix and with no progress lost.

On the other hand, we played for 3 hours and made it to about turn 50 with zero PVP combat. As much fun as Space Simcity is, I'm going to recommend that next time we do it, we play on Fast game speed, people make a conscious effort to not take 5-8 minute turns in the early game, and nobody sets their house on fire.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Clarste posted:

So is there any indication of which factions are overpowered or underpowered in a PvP setting? I'd imagine that the Pacifist factions would be a whole lot weaker when their opponents realize how big those bonuses can get. On the other hand, maybe people would just aim for allied victories with them?

Not from our game, which just didn't go very far. The Unfallen player had a significant lead scorewise and won several of the global achievements (first two Wonders, first to have a level 9 hero, first to have 8 planets), but I don't know if that was because he was Unfallen or just generally playing well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Are we giving Multiplayer another run tonight?