Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Trying to scramble for tip and build order stuffs. Any words on Horatio?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Krinkle posted:

Almost every single race wants to research and build the tier one manufacturing and research things that are like +10 for planet +10 for every temperate planet +10 for every fertile planet.
But not horatio! Because your planet is a hot hellhole. Good luck, idiot.
You want to not do those two.

There's a youtube channel called 4x alchemist which has not updated for six months but has a lot of neat early game strategies which largely do not matter anymore. For example the unfallen guide says you can build a new vineship in 5 turns and get your first system seeded by 10 turns and no both of those things, each, cost twice as much now so it is four times longer than that.

But I would at least still trust their first turn research and build orders for horatio.

Saw his video. Thank you.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
As someone who jumped in on this free weekend, it's good.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Krinkle posted:

I liked the 4x alchemist youtube videos. That very very very nervous man explaining every single step of the way. His strategies do not work, you cannot min-max like that after the last six months of patches, but you get some tips about using probes and then rebuilding the ship so you get more probes, to find the best system to expand to faster, and he explains the point of FIDSI and what worlds are easy or hard to expand to.

anyway, my question, I'm starting horatio and my first quest gives me a reward that is a building I can only build once that gives +4 on original empire population. Does that only apply to that system or does having that building make that happen everywhere? I just want it to be clear and say "+4 industry on original empire population in system" so I don't wonder.

I tested and completed that questline. Yeah, all your horatio pops everywgere get +4 food. Its a pain to fit in, but it really helps you expand. That wonder and cash money buying a sustainable farm explodes your pop gen.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol holy gently caress i never bothered building it because i thought it was just local

does Intensive Cultivation do the same thing?

Been a while since I built it, but that one is system only. Quest rewards are really a cut above regular national wonders in this game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Krinkle posted:

I literally do not understand how to shuffle up my ships and say who goes where. They're not clickable on. They just do it based on what the card says. If you're saying "have three ships" then okay.

e: if they're clickable on i'm going to flip my poo poo. They couldn't have muted out that purple any harder to tell me "don't even bother i'm background noise that doesn't matter"

Yes, it is the least notable thing in that entire UI that you have to interact with in order to change ship location.

Its the little arrows on the left hand side of the Advanced Battle info whatever screen when you get notified of the fight. Keep in mind, the different battle tactics have different squigly lines that determine where your ship goes. That where the different ranges of weapons mechanic culminate to their last decision point into what it does for a fight.

The top and bottom squigly lines doesnt unlock to fiddle with until you have enough CP worth of ships in that fight.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Dec 20, 2017

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

lol why is this loving game so opaque

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fix Lag posted:

Why are the pirates in Endless Space 2 so much more of a military threat than other empires, even on medium to high difficulties?

To let you know you gotta start your military research by turn 15 AT THE LATEST.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I feel like I always get the Lumeris starting next to me. And I have a raging hardon for annihilating them.

Bet you do for the good ol busty dragons.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Horatio: ecology is dope. By the time I changed government I had the necessary planetfall techs just to get rid of the -50 fids penalty. I did federation for expansion bonuses anf it was underwhelming.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

GenericOverusedName posted:

What else would the space weebabirds call it? :v:

Mods plz change my name to Space Weabird.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Im down and currently super unemployed.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Im in the Pacific Time zone. Any time yo. I've put in like 20 hours a long while ago, only ever played the vaulters. So Im a bit green.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Avasculous posted:

Well this is a clusterfuck.
Interested parties:

1. Avasculous - EST, Any time after 8 PM on weekdays, any time Weekends
2. Chadzok - AEST, 9 PM - ? Mon-Thursday, 4 AM-8 AM Tuesday, Anytime Wednesday
3. mitochondritom - BST, 19:00 - 0:30 Weekdays, 18:30 - 2:00 Weekends
4. TreeBucket - AEST, 9 PM onwards on Saturday
5. KirbyKhan - PST, Anytime
6. ???

I didn't really appreciate the fact that US - GB - Aus meant that unavoidably, at least one of us is playing in the middle of the (work)day, one of us is playing in the godforsaken hours of the morning, and one of us is playing at a normal time in the evening.

So far for options, I've got:
Tuesday/Wednesday: Mitochondritom 7 PM, KirbyKhan 11 AM, Chadzok 4 AM, gently caress Avasculous and TreeBucket

Saturday: mitochondritom 7 PM, Avasculous 2 PM, KirbyChan 11 AM, gently caress TreeBucket and Chadzok

Saturday: Avasculous : 7 AM, KirbyKhan: 5 AM (any time, really?), TreeBucket 9 PM, gently caress Chadzok and mitochondritom

Obviously I want to include everyone, but I don't see any options that get even 4 of the 5 of us.

So let's see if a couple more people chime in or a couple of us get fired or abandoned by our families. Ideally, maybe we'll get 2 groups playing at different times.

I will accept a 5AM Saturday start time if one of you gives me a wake up call using my foreal phone number. I will reciprocate the call at (your local) 5AM randomly in the future. PM for digits if you want that hanging over your head.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
But just enough to make you start going crazy. Cultist Simulator does this as well. It is... Effective and gently caress them for doing it.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
My body is ready

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

mitochondritom posted:

Indeed, I am also around.

I got the PM. Gonna hang around the Blackjack and Hookers channel. Dibs on Vaulters or Metz, otherwise I babyrage quit and waste everybody's time.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The call has been made, the lobby has been created.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'll be there. I might have to cut short when the wife comes home, but we will cross that bridge when we get there.

Edit: Ooops, timezones. Mixed up 3 hours ahead with 3 hours behind.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Aug 18, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I really do love the Horatio mechanic. I can see some diversity in play for the Ecology like the reverse pop above or altering the fids penalty for not having the research.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
For multiplayer Saturday, would a game of Endless Space be okay with folks.?

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ill be hanging out in the Discord at 12:00 noon PST (like 1.5 hours from this post). Hollar if you wanna Endless game.

Edit: By 12, I mean 11am. So like now.

KirbyKhan fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Aug 25, 2018

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Big Data Dock and O2 Transport 4 lyfe. Left side of that tech tree to start. gently caress a garrison building that early, if Im gettin invaded itll have by the time I can research the better planet defense building.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Fister Roboto posted:

Are there any good intermediate to advanced guides for EL out there? I understand how all the systems work, but I struggle to put them all together into a cohesive strategy. I want to know things like when I should expand, or what techs/buildings/units are worth prioritizing, and stuff like that, but every time I try looking for a guide it's all beginners poo poo like "here's what the empire screen looks like, here's what all the buttons do".

Same

4X Alchemist put out some Optimal First 30 Turns videos but gently caress if I don't fall asleep.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
This fuckin game!

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Just saw a Nivalrious go through the first 20 minutes of a Humankind game and the fids symbols brought me right back to remembering this aesthetically gorgeous game. Well that and the bizarre bug fixing. Never did finish a game of ES2, think I only ever got up to cruisers before slamming down 2 AI and getting tired of crushing the third. I never quite got through the Horatio story, always got up to choice 3 before scrapping the playthrough to see the alternate questline bonuses.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Max Wilco posted:

How easy is it to pick up/learn Endless Space 2? I remember a review of it from a while back that made the game sound really goofy and fun, but it also struck me as being one of those games where you need a bachelor's degree in order to know how to play it competently.

Oh, if you start up a game at like regular difficulty you'll be fine. The game has an inertia to it and the most common failstate early on is not building a fleet at the same time pirates show up.

Yes, you could get a bachelor's out of the mechanics of this game. But if you don't choose to engage with it, the game is good at giving you suboptimaly upward growing number by default. You can click next turn with a civ based muscle memory and roll along fine.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Sometimes you will get lost in menus. The UI is intricate and ornate, yet ES somehow uses all parts of their ui buffalo. My mind was blown when I found out where the space battle tactic card system was after 150 hours in. I may have stumbled into it before, without the understanding but that was when I utilized it with intent and I made my number go up.

It is largely not worth optimizing in case a desync or scripting error or time moving forward craters your game. But drat does it look pretty.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

El_Elegante posted:

Played some free dungeon of the endless this weekend. I’ve found it really frustrating so far. I constantly feel like I just can’t get enough resources, or that I’m spending them too quickly only to go into a death spiral.

I don’t feel like I’m ever making interesting trade-offs, just deciding whether I’m going to die horribly on one side of the map or the other, or if I am really lucky I’ll survive just to get wiped out on the second or third floor.

I can see what they are going for and I catch glimpses of a fun experience here and there. If only the game was little better about helping you learn from your mistakes.

Dungeon of the Endless is an actual hard game. It broke me. I was not expecting the jump in difficulty from ES2 to Dungeon and it crack my back over it's knee.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
The Academy are jerks in the fiction and the expansion really drills down into what pesky jerks these dust addicts are.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Hello bookmark crew.

The Endless Space 2 ost is kicken rad. A banger for the ages. The theme song and a bunch of tracks at the end have the production shots showing the instruments and choir. It's so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP9n1CANQO0

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Vasler posted:

Picked up ES2 from the humble monthly in March and just started playing it last night.

I've played many space 4x games over the years including stellaris but there's something I can't figure out with respect to luxury goods and strategic resources:

I've discovered planets with this stuff and I got loot from exploring. But, how do I actually start getting x resources per turn? In stellaris, I would send constructor ship over to build an outpost. That doesn't seem to be a thing here and the tutorial doesn't give me any additional information aside from congratulating me from finding a resource.

The UI is pretty slick in this game though. If only this could be combined with stellaris. I really, really enjoyed the early and mid game in stellaris...

Ok resources are a thing. Industrial extraction techs are on the rights side of the tree, the luxury extraction is on the left maybe. Before extraction tech they still provide FIDS bonuses.

You gotta find a menu somewhere in your government to turn them on as boosters. But are also used to level up your cities. But are also just dust cash money on the market.

Early game is where ES2 really shines. It is really rewarding to optimize and refine build orders, but the flow of this game doesn't require optimization, just participation... If that makes sense.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Picking a mechanically sub-optimal culture for the desired aesthetics is a fulfilling play-act at nationalism. Remaining and prestiging that culture models the gerontocracy and stagnation of culture that refuses to evolve perfectly actually.

Humankind is genius and that's why I'm thinking about reinstalling Endless Space 2 to play Horatio again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Excuse me, this is happening? Endless Space 2 is getting updated fr? Will I be able to reinstall the game without having to shut down my OneDrive?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qzx8WxzlyEY