Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Honestly, I quit months ago. When TV Johnny Depp was at that camp where people were feeding themselves to zombies. It's actually pretty impressive, I'll watch some unmitigated garbage but Fear was just a bridge too far to me. The premise could have been good too, and no comic baggage but nahhhhh.

Believe it or not, it got worse.

Speaking of which Chris had the funniest loving death in the universe though. Like an evil Leroy Jenkins, except played straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

nelson posted:

Hopefully ABC will renew it, but if they don't I hope one of the streaming companies decides to continue it.

The real bummer is 90% of the stand-off MCU vs AOS was because of Coulson and how much Whedon hated that. With Whedon gone, it's possible that could change, but yeah.

The show was clearly divorced and moved into a one-way tie-in with the MCU where the Netflix series, having a much smoother start, are very likely to take that cake. Plus Netflix and Marvel are really linked now so despite the fact ABC is a Disney network, it's odd.

Now, the one thing going in it's favor is it is a way to keep shouting the word Marvel over and over onto TV. Disney uses a lot of the shows on ABC for advertising their stuff; they have gone out of their way to make sure characters drop Star Wars references and Marvel references throughout every bit of media they own for the brand. They may want to keep something Marvel related on ABC merely to keep the name being said.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Nill posted:

Dude was obviously a Skrull. :v:

I would legitimately love the twist that her kidnapping agents and replacing them actually is the good thing to do, because of a body snatcher invasion like the Skrull.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

CW executives along the lines of "MUST HAVE STUPID DRAMA IN ORDER TO APPEAL TO OUR TEENAGE AUDIENCE"

The fact they wreck everything they touch is part of why "CW show" is an insult. They're just the worst. They want every show to be about people bitching at each other and nothing else.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrianWilly posted:

I think it's safe to say that I'm flat-out exhausted by the Inhumanz plotz of this show.

It's been going for three years now and has long since run out of interesting things to do.

~Ooh Watchdogs ooooh~

The most annoying thing about it is that inhumans never come up on the Netflix series or the movies, which cuts the show off from the MCU even harder. Like seriously a few lines of people mistaking Jessica Jones for an inhuman for example would have done wonders.

At this point the show finale should be them finding they are 1-dimension over from the actual MCU.

Rhyno posted:

Eventually it would end like Farscape, the one he was banging dies heroically and after some time the other one realizes she also loves him and they get a happy ending.

It sucks they never got to do the finale for Farscape, but that movie they did is worth a watch if you thought the show ending was hilarious. They did have plans for another season so it was kind of like stuffing a whole season into a mini-series, but..

Well that and I was sure that ending would be a Chianna vision, which was jammed 'on' at the time, but the actual solution was sure something.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 17, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

OB_Juan posted:

I'm glad Fitz was right, but man, if he was wrong, SHIELD would have taken a helluva dark turn this week.

I thought that too, but the gun was firing Icers. He'd probably given a human concussion but not blown their brains out.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jamesman posted:

Amoral in the sense that he would go to the underground and black market to advance his research, but he was never outright malicious or evil.

SHIELD reached out to him because they saw good in him. They kept him on after Hive because they saw good in him. They were right, too. He saved the lives of half the team thanks to his work, and doing stupid things and going out of bounds and being ethically dubious is what SHIELD is all about.

He's a good dude. I don't want the show to write him off as evil and kill him just because of the same poo poo that almost everyone else on the team has dealt with. He's not Ward for crying out loud.

I really agree. He does note that he got a "quick look at the Darkhold" which is what's driving him to go to this extreme, but even now, he seems to really not be going the way of Eli, really trying to not get people killed though he's obviously in too deep. I like his character a lot, I have to admit, and I really want him to have some kind of redemption.

That said I would bet money that real May might die this season. Which is going to suck if the show's not picked up for another season.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man, I did not expect them to melt down both LMDs right after the soul speech and finding out they actually have functioning brains. I figured they'd maybe imprison them or bring them offline. Cold blooded!

The AI in Westworld wouldn't meet a very good fate even in the Marvel verse I guess.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spergatory posted:

Radcliff definitely still has strong SHIELD sympathies. The most interesting thing about him at this point is that he still thinks he can take the moral high ground. He genuinely believes himself to be the good guy in a way that none of the other SHIELD antagonists over the years really have.

While I suspect the superior will kill him for not being a "SIMPLE MAN" I honestly like Radcliff a lot, and want to see him redeem himself before the end.

I have a soft spot for mad scientists who really are trying to do good through extremely bad ways. If they have another season they should get Jeffry Combs to stop by. No movie or show is not improved by that.

ED: Then again Qyburn on Game of Thrones was one of my favorite characters almost immediately. The show version not the book version.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I have to say, if you want to kill off a villain you've been building abruptly, that was such a satisfying way to do it. The chain of events in that office just kept getting better. Also I'm calling it now: The Superior gets Mace's armor and syrum injector. He JUST got it only to be captured, and that would let the superior stand up to inhumans without actually being one.

There's no way he's not going to do something with it.

LividLiquid posted:

I really like this show.

I really hope it gets another season. So many people just won't give it a chance after season 1's slow start.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I wonder if they're going to find some way to bring her back, even if it's just flashbacks, given her brother's still a massive unresolved plot thread.

It's not like she hasn't survived being at ground zero of an explosion before.

Given she died by an inhuman, and that might come out eventually, it's likely they'll end up needing him to resolve the overall plot. So you're probably right.

Also don't forget, when he woke up, he saw a bomb go off and kill a woman who looked like she was in India. I'm fairly certain he's one of those multi-powered characters, that seemed like something that'll definitely come back. It also explains why he was cocooned for so long, if he's going to end up with like 20 powers.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 9, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

X-O posted:

The mechanics of it aren't what bother me. It's the crutch of having it be a constant part of the show. And with those writers a terrible part. Time travel can be handled well. Really well in fact, 12 Monkeys and Travelers are current shows that are based entirely on it and they're great shows. The Flash writers are just really terrible at it.

The best time travel stories are the ones that send someone back in time without a clear idea of where they are or the situation, and have it be out of their control. It's pretty much the best way to avoid the paradox problems. If the person went back completely unprepared, the only paradoxes would come from future knowledge. If they don't have much, it doesn't shatter the story.

Obviously there are other great ways to use it (like 12 Monkeys) but the above is the only kind of story that doesn't make your brain explode.

Now that I think of it that does kind of make Army of Darkness one of the least paradox-prone time travel movies to exist. Ash literally never did a single thing in the past that changed his future and he didn't intend to go back in the first place, so "fixing things" wouldn't make any impact on him still going back. Never really thought about it before.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I genuinely like that. I never bought into "The Superior" as the big bad so I love the way his pretty "meh" motivation, plan, and story just got dismissed out of hand by Caulson and then he turned him over to Daisy. Because the Watchdogs have always been more of a villain for Daisy and Radcliffe, Aida, and the LMDs are way more of a serious problem than they ever were.

Its kind of like the KKK being taken down by Superman because once you take away their mystique ("The Superior") and influence (Nadeer) they're just racist assholes in white hoods/masks.

I was a little disappointed Daisy didn't just keep hammering him with quakes until he shattered like Humpty Dumpty, though. The show is usually pretty good about avoiding the "leave our enemies just sitting around to come after us again" poo poo, and after she floored him she just .. walked off and didn't worry about it later.

Also it occurred to me there could be a huge misdirect still here: What if nobody was replaced, and Fitz was actually taken by Aida when he was alone, and everything so far has been a simulation within the Framework to get information from him?

STAC Goat posted:

This show is just big on misdirection so you always kind of expect it when they leave a door open. Which also gives them a great reason to occasionally leave a door slightly ajar just to keep people guessing even if there's nothing at all to it.

But I'm sure by next Tuesday we'll have analyzed every single person on teh show and their odds of being a robot.

And yeah, I'm loving terrible with names.

Yeah I'm totally going to play my long shot. If Fitz pulls out every trick he knows to get inside Shield and assume control from his "hijacked" allies, Radcliff will get all that information too. It'd be a good misdirect even if it's very unlikely.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Feb 15, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any word on if the show has a snowball's chance of getting one more season?

If not, when is the last story "pod" going to start? I hope it leaves them time to at least give us a final arc.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

Nah, I'm willing to take the show at face value this once. Coulsonbot gonna romance Maybot beep boop.

Honestly all of these theories are entirely plausible and I wouldn't be unhappy with any of them, which is a good sign.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

enraged_camel posted:

I'll be honest: this bothered the hell out of me to the point where it took me out of the show completely. I don't care about anything else that happened this episode. Leaving the bad guy there without checking if he was dead was just a gross oversight, especially for Daisy, who has a personal vendetta against Watchdogs.

I agree with everyone who really liked the episode, but I totally agree with you. That outright bugged me. I would have overlooked it if the superior was captured at the end, but KO'ing the #1 inhuman murderer and then just walking away was a real jolt of "Really? REALLY?"

It probably bugs me more because the show avoids that cliche really well so it felt even more out of place.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

Was Radcliff straight up killed or is he now trapped in the Matrix?

Dead as disco, at least in body. The whole point was his mind is now in the framework, so he's really "alive" in a way, but his body won't be.

Thus he's no longer a threat to the framework (in Aida's eyes) as he's apart of it. I'm not so sure that's true though. Radcliffe was a bit of an rear end in a top hat, but things went way further than he wanted.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

I feel so bad for this actor ending up in lovely D-list Christian propaganda movies, drat it.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

counterfeitsaint posted:

Network TV seems to be getting aggressively shittier this year. Every network show I watch has had multiple month+ long breaks, AoS, Bob's Burgers, Lucifer. It's like they're upset that their slide into irrelevance isn't going fast enough and actively want to push people towards better sources of media even faster. Maybe they're really doing us all a favor.

The fact the networks aren't reorganizing into primarily streaming companies that also air TV yet is baffling.

Network TV is dead. The more they claw in and try to keep it going, the more it's going to tear the gently caress apart. Streaming is the future and finally the market agrees with that.

ED: They really need to look at HBO Go. It's a perfect example of how to make the transition.

Also I think the fact the golden era of TV is rising at the same time that network TV is dying is very, very linked. Network involvement has hurt shows for too long and I will forever hold that traditional TV ratings are INCREDIBLE bullshit, mathematically; the sample size is both too small, and leans too heavily on audiences that would actually want to gently caress with a ratings box. Streaming numbers don't lie (or favor aging families who love Dancing with the loving Stars).

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Feb 24, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

You seriously underestimate how much tv and movie people hate each other. For each of those actors to do tv is to degrade their brand. TV is simply beneath them.

That's changed, drastically, in recent years. The key, however, is there are certain TV networks that are becoming acceptable, even desirable, for fairly large actors while network stations like ABC.. not so much. More and more you're going to see A list talent in places like HBO and Netflix; all of Hollywood knows that theatrical film is dying and the only thing propping it up, truly, is China and their inexperience with movies that can be recycled to them.

Making cameos on a TV show isn't the stigma it once was. The problem with Agents of SHIELD is the whole Marvel internal politics problems (and the fact Pearlmutter, ejected from the MCU, is still involved in TV) and a frosty relationship between dying networks like ABC and up and comers that are dominating the future landscape like Netflix; Netflix was really a "clean start" for Marvel TV, with Agents always being a red-headed stepchild after season 1 when it wasn't a megahit out of the gate (which we can all agree is understandable given season 1).

But really the concept of TV being beneath actors is going to be changing more and more. You won't see the super-mega-A list like Tom Cruise doing a Netflix series soon (well, actually, maybe he might if it was sci-fi and nuts) but you're going to see more and more highly respectable actors even preferring TV over movies in the future. To be honest this change is for the best for everyone; TV quality has gone way up, streaming changed the medium; it's a way more actor-friendly environment, too.

ED: Yes I know Marvel movies have been breaking movie records as have several in recent years; but I mean the industry as a whole. Wasn't Disney something like 40%+ of all movie revenue last year?

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Feb 28, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

sticklefifer posted:

There's no way Ward is not a triple agent in deep cover. Even if May's different events changed things, it still wouldn't change Ward's upbringing and loyalties.

Except, we're not dealing with a Ward in any way based on the real Ward.

This Ward is almost positively based on season 1 Ward's act; taken from Daisy's memories back when she thought he was a real good guy and was leaning towards him romantically. Since he's created from the memories of the "good parts" of Ward, and the "painful parts" were removed by Aida, it's likely he's sincerely basically season 1 milk toast hero Ward.

ED: If the show manages to get picked up (Come on ABC, Jesus, at least the show is doing very well with critics) for another season I would be 100% good with an LMD of good guy Ward.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Apr 9, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

What a small viewerbase. I'm shocked they just approved a second season.

SHIELD is a show I will use an example for years for how if you lose people in the first half of the first season, no matter how loving awesome you get after that, it will always be a struggle.

If AoS opened up with anything remotely resembling it's current quality level it'd probably be doing extremely well. But man, getting people to give it a second shot is like pulling teeth.

Chokes McGee posted:

Nah it's gonna be cancelled just like Seasons 2-4 :v:

I don't know, I wouldn't get too comfortable or blame the nay sayers that much. The show's survived on brand and with Netflix a proven success (outside of the painfully mediocre Iron Fist) it's been something of a odd man out. I REALLY hope we get a season 5, but I can't blame people who are concerned we won't.

Hell I consider the 2nd season of Agent Carter to be a miracle it happened at all. That show.. I don't know why that show bombed. It was awesome and it started pretty good. I kind of look at Carter as a miniseries, you can absolutely watch it get most plots wrapped up satisfyingly. Though the whole "Can't have kids" thing they dropped with Jarvis's wife at the end will probably dangle forever, that's pretty drat minor.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 13, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Piriwi posted:

The shift into the VR world is a bit sudden, although they are doing a decent job in 'making it real' with the focus on Macks daughter and Fitz killing whats-her-name. As long as they keep it fun I'm willing to not think to hard about it.

I predict that the project is not about invading (real) Earth, but rather about finding a way to sever the connection to/from the Hydra world entirely and have it exist on its own. I don't think AIDA is all that interested in going back.

I think it's some way to absorb the entire real world into the simulation. That'd both fulfill her programming and neutralize the threat.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Coffee Mugshot posted:

Daisy is actually psyclops in this universe

This would be a legitimately hilarious time to use a version of Squirrel Girl.

Bruceski posted:

This show keeps killing off people I like, but at least they earn it.

It is a crime against humanity Walking Dead is a ratings juggernaut while Shield's always on the bubble.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Too bad Whitehall doesn't seem to be coming back. I liked his character a lot.

Whitehall or Skye's mother showing up as heroes would be great.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 19, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Fuuuuck I wanted Mace to survive. :(

Mace really won me over. The fact he got to go out being what he really wanted to be - it's telling that he was an actual inhuman in the system - was a real nice moment for the character.

I also strongly thing that the real May is going to die in the simulation, but because Daisy's realizing that the AI can feel emotion, they'll keep her around.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

it's not getting canceled we do this literally every season :ughh:

Please do not get cocky about this. As someone who both watched Agent Carter crash & burn after two great seasons and knows there's backroom drama between Pearlmutter and crew and how they divided up who's running movie/TV stuff, and the fact AOS is the most ignored part of the Marvel canon and is never referenced on Netflix or vice versa, I think there is legitimate cause for nail-biting concern.

However it's highly positive critical reception and the brand lately might see it hit another season. I hope they keep this pod format; 3 storyarcs that fit together is a very good idea.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Robot Hobo posted:

Simmons has to be absolutely livid.

"Coulson, you're telling me you went back inside to rescue children that we both know don't actually exist, and that led to Mace for-real dying to save those imaginary children?"

Sure, the whole thing is going to be worth the sacrifice, since it turned May to their side and she's the goddamn Cavalry, but Simmons doesn't know that yet.

I thought they got pretty dark when they melted down the first Aida and the Radcliffe LMD, because they JUST gave a speech about having a soul. If SHIELD had not done that, there might have been a very different ultimate outcome to Aida's behavior.

Big things to consider now is Mac, Mr. "gently caress all AI, gently caress every last one, kill them with axes," is now going to be facing an emotional attachment to a fully realized AI, if virtual, daughter. With LMD technology + AI (which I suspect is what Project Looking Glass is actually intended to be) he could literally have his daughter back, and as they have been hinting, it's more real than they want to admit.

I will be utterly shocked if SHIELD shuts down the framework this season. They're becoming attached to the inhabitants; even if they get out of it, I think it would be the height of evil to just burn the place down provided the AI is really self-aware, which is not out of the question given the designer. It seems like they might end up like that one old TNG episode where they let the simulation run on forever to allow the sentient virtual character within to live a full life.. or as I mentioned, introduce the idea of using LMDs to bring people (or copies) back into the real world, like Good Ward.

Either way I will be a bit disappointed if after they leave the framework they still go right back to "Yep, burn all AIs, burn all LMDs, gently caress whatever emotions they claim to have" now that they're gotten a ton of evidence to change their POV.

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think it was heavily implied that Fitzdad was played by Aida right? There was one spot where the camera lingered on his face and he grinned and of course the brainwashy "there's only one person you understand you and you love her right?" discussion.

Played by, no. Designed specifically (who knows how his real father might differ, if at all) to keep Fitz in line? Oh yeah.

double nine posted:

Yeah, while it's sad that Mace is gone, this is pretty much what he wanted to be. A self-sacrificing honest to god superhero.

Yep. If they had to kill Mace, I was very satisfied by the way he went out. It brought his entire arc to a perfect close and ironically made me like him even more.

I appreciated the irony of May being the one to use the power-juice in the virtual world, fighting an actual inhuman Mace.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 21, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This guy's horrible misunderstanding of who Carl Weathers is made me laugh my rear end off. Thanks for posting this.

Though I do think people are a bit quick to jump on the race card when confusing two black people. Nobody gets offended when someone confuses Michael Cera for Jesse Eisenberg, except Jesse Eisenberg.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Am I the only guy that's actually kind of happy that the X-Men universe is finally getting good movies and isn't in the MCU?

I never really liked X-Men existing in main Marvel continuity because the line between mutants and "random dude who gets his power in a lab accident" is so non-distinct, the bias against one group and not the other always seemed off. Maybe it's years of movies and such, but X-Men works so much better as it's own contained universe in my opinion, and the MCU is better off for it too.

A good example is Spider-Man. In a world where there's like thousands of mutants, why the hell does anyone give a poo poo about him?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I haven't seen Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yet, but is it safe to assume the show won't make any direct references to it?

Maybe indirectly. They setup some characters that I could see appearing in Thor Ragnarok, which in turn might get a reference.

But the greater Marvel universe is SO far removed from typical life on Earth I seriously doubt it. It'd be like Daredevil on Netflix having a one-off episode where he fights space pirates. It'd be a huge what the gently caress.

Open Source Idiom posted:

That said, no-one's had time to factor in the just breaking news about Once Upon A Time -- which looks like it's going through substantial changes, including the loss of nearly all of the leads including the main character -- which is really good news for SHIELD.

Talk about beating a dead loving horse into paste, Jesus Christ. Has that ever worked for a show, ever? Even when it turns out OK (the Farscape cast taking over Stargate) people tune out in droves, every loving time.

PS: I'm laughing that Taken might live due to international ratings. I've never watched that show but knowing the movies (and how quick they turned to poo poo), it would have been an amazing comedy if every episode began with someone taking something from the main character, a phone call where he finds out it was TAKEN, and then a rampage of possibly unnecessary revenge to get it back. I just want to see him go on a rampage to recover a lawn gnome or something.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 09:56 on May 9, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bio347 posted:

Aida's regeneration could be from that explodey guy they put in the pokeball, maybe. I'm surprised that she was able to get shot, though, I'd have figured melty-dude's anti-bullet power would've been there for sure.

Lincoln WAS in the simulation and WAS being experimented on, so not hard to guess.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Argue posted:

Save money on special powers effects by making the villain Taskmaster and having Kevin Tanchaoren direct every episode.

Save money on guest stars by 3D printing the evil Fitz, giving him a cool visor, and then have him say something like "You [good Fitz], you're a builder. But me, I'm more of a... maker".

Save money in general by having Coulson and the team set up a new spy base underneath a Subway™.

Please do not save money by providing mercy work to Iron Fist's choreography team.

kayakyakr posted:

Really happy that this got a full season 5 order. While I actually prefer drama's with the 10-13 episode season, I'm really a fan of how this show does their mini season arcs. Totally on board. 6 seasons and a (mention in a) movie?

I love the pod format. I'm a big fan of shows with less episodes per season because I hate the necessary drag outs, but by basically doing 3 seasons each season, they're all snappy and yet we still get a lot of episodes. It's a really smart idea that a handful of shows are using, and I think is the best way to do a 22 episode season hands down. You can keep some overall elements the whole season (like the Darkhold) yet never have to spin your wheels. It's win/win.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 00:32 on May 13, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Saw the thread light up and thought it was going to be details about the full season renewal.

Then saw Powers Boothe died. Goddamn it. He was awesome.

Apoplexy posted:

His directing credits from S2?

- Face My Enemy (2014)
- One of Us (2015)
- The Dirty Half Dozen (2015)

AKA: The May Does A Flying Face-Slam Of Another May's Face Into A Coffee Table Episode, The Really Great One Where Skye's Dad Recruits A B-Team Of Crappy Villains, and this episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MUKXSEBBZQ

Yeah, keep giving him work. Don't blame the poor guy for unwittingly participating in a Scott Buck gently caress-up.

That's pretty impressive; I didn't realize he had a hand in Iron Fist. Still the fight sequences in that show were so loving lame, while AoS - as you mentioned - have honestly been able to keep up with Daredevil (which already has awesome fight sequences) since like Season 3 or so.

Eearly AoS felt like a more violent A-Team with people actually dying but since the Inhuman arc it's been easily some of the best action sequences filmed on TV (and probably just period given movie action sequences mostly rely on SHAKKKKEY CAMMMMM)

Oasx posted:

I feel the same way because of not being from the US. There is always someone who complains that random tv city doesn't actually look like that city in real life, because apparently half the shows on tv are shot in Canada.

I have the reverse problem living in Los Angeles, where every city you see is clearly LA. It's not super notable (and just nitpicking) until they do poo poo like film in Union Station, which is unmistakable as hell.

I cannot begin to count the shows that filmed in Echo Park.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I guess we could have gotten confirmation of that but he said over and over again that killing his bodies meant nothing and we know he's got a severed head somewhere.

If he actually is Modok I really hope his severed head is implanted in what looks like an oversized hover chair, so people can mock him for looking incredibly stupid before killing him.

MODOK is one of the most hilarious looking villains of all time. The first time I ever saw the character was in a video game, and I couldn't stop laughing that I was being "attacked by an oversized recliner with a giant TV face."

muscles like this! posted:

Thinking back on the episode it did feel a little rushed. Like maybe it should have been a two-parter where they could adequately flesh out both the "stop Aida" and "delete Framework" plots. As is the Framework subplot felt kind of tacked on and other than the final couple scenes a little inconclusive. While the Aida stuff felt kind of rushed once they put their plan into place. Also there wasn't any answer as to whether or not they actually defeated the Superior or not.

I really didn't like the Framework getting shut down and deleted much. They did a lot to establish these characters that existed there, from anti-Hydra kids to characters we missed like Triplet and Ward that just getting rid of it felt like such a waste. I was hoping they'd decide to keep it running on it's own server so those people have gotten something out of it.

More importantly it kept annoying me nobody even TRIED to mention Project Looking Glass, which they were aware of. It'd been way more sad of an ending, to me, if they were trying to get Hope brought into the real world and didn't make it, than what happened - where I called the outcome in advance. It'd also maybe let us bring back a version of a character that could have been neat (it'd been a great end to the good Ward if his last act was to push Triplet into the machine and save him or something).

As it stands the fact the whole thing erased itself made all of those characters feel pointless and all of their struggles in there for naught. I think it's largely because they established that the AI inside were actually pretty real; it's not like they escaped from a video game.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 17, 2017

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can they use the acronym S.T.A.R.S.?

I'd watch a pod where they try to shut down Umbrella Corp.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Can...can we please not have this discussion?

To help with the budget, isn't Agents of Shield is having it's effects done by Team Ninja?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

It's not like she was going to stay spineless forever or something. With Fitz's brain problems, The HYDRA double agent poo poo, becoming a certified field operative, the alien planet stranding and finding herself buried alive suddenly, she was gonna improve no matter what happened.

A far cry from the early days where I literally couldn't understand why they needed Fitz AND Simmons, it seemed utterly redundant and they did the same thing. Then again I also felt that way about Ward and May. And Skye was annoying.

This show definitely has gone straight up in quality since then.

ED: The Fitz Simmons thing was so bad in Season 1 several posters were behind the theory that Fitz or Simmons was a psychic projection of the other like that dude on Legion.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Balon posted:

Isn't he part of the Sony-owned Spider-man world?

I think he's actually attached to the Blade IP.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Chokes McGee posted:

If you're talking about Cary and Keri she's not a projection, she literally lives inside his body

it's some serious business Multiple Man poo poo

Anyone not watching Legion probably should, it's a very.. very different kind of show but it's really pretty great.

That said I will never understand why they keep thinking Keri is their heavy hitter because literally anyone including "red shirt thugs" can beat the ever loving poo poo out of her.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Teek posted:

Looking great guys!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sYF1SXcWqQ

Hahah, not really. It looks like a TV show, filmed in Hawaii and set in Hawaii. Not really stretching the genre much there. Wonder if the pilot resembles what they planned for the movie in any way.

I was like "Well, this looks like it has real poo poo production values but it's TV and.." then I saw they filmed in IMAX for theaters and just started thinking "hahahahahha."

Oh well, I'll still check it out if only for Ramsey Bolton with powers

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

STAC Goat posted:

I'm still in wait and see mode, but it strikes me as neither laughable nor exciting.

The reviews are in! The STAC Goat raves, "Neither laughable nor exciting!"

" It looks like a TV show" says TEAC, and Captain Capslock boasts, "...really stretching that CGI budget..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, Inhumans hit a 0% on Rotten Tomatoes.

What the flying gently caress were they thinking with that. At least this is good news for Shield, as Inhumans sure as gently caress won't be replacing it.

• Locked thread