Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Radio! posted:

His death was the catalyst for getting the Avengers to cooperate and I imagine they'd be real pissed to find out Nick Fury lied to them again.

That was years ago, I'm pretty sure they'd just be happy to hear that their friend is alive, and acknowledge that what Fury did had positive results. If anything, they'd be super pissed that Phil has gone so long without saying anything, it would be pretty awkward when he finally did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

double nine posted:

The Director is a Koenig, obviously.

Speaking of which, the guy that Mae was beating the poo poo out of, I was sure that was Koenig, but they never gave us a clear shot of his face.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Zzulu posted:

Did the Nazis get any superheroes of their own or were they just constantly owned by captain america and ghost riders and stuff

They were all Arian supermen led by the greatest superhero of all, duh.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I thought Oswalt gave up his acting and comedy career to become a full time whiny poo poo on twitter?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
You guys are trying really hard to find something to be offended by. I can't possibly be as much fun to enjoy media if you approach every show with the attitude of 'how is this offensive to me?'

The MCU isn't progressive enough because:

Doesn't represent women.

Doesn't represent people of color.

Doesn't represent um, Asians?

Doesn't represent how about Hispanics?

Doesn't represent... gay people?

Doesn't represent I know, Tibetans!

Doesn't represent... give me a minute.

You could certainly call out Hollywood for Asian representation, but this might be the worst thread, save Marco Polo, in all of TV IV to do so.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

He just has one of those fanbases, man. It's not his fault.

Fixed. Poor guy.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Spergatory posted:

Oh, we're doing this? I guess we're doing this then. Let me just...

Now, these sweeping caveats don't apply to the TV shows, but here's the thing; until proven otherwise, the TV shows have poo poo-all to do with the movies. The movies effect the TV shows, but not vice-versa, so the representation of the TV shows is inherently less valuable because by default it reaches a much smaller audience. The Marvel TV shows are doing a bang-up job on the representation front. The Marvel movies need to step the gently caress up.

Oh thank god. I knew if we just tried hard enough. I'll start an online petition, you handle the twitter campaign.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah this two weeks thing is kinda absurd. Has any other show ever done this? Return for two episodes and then...skip a whole week?

Lucifer debuted last week, and skipped this week, as the show was preempted by the literal devil Monday.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

cant cook creole bream posted:

So now May is one of the countless people in the MCU who came back from the death.

It's better to think of it as May is no longer one of the few people in the MCU who has not come back from the dead.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Chokes McGee posted:

He's probably still undergoing terrigenesis. I mean, it took Andrew like a month to break out of his cocoon, and it took another month or two after that for the actual alteration to set. Why this is causing Crazy Lady to do crazy, I have no idea.

Also I'm fully on board with Jeff Mace now. He initially comes off as fake and untrustworthy, but he really is just a goddamn goober with super powers and it owns. Even when he's being stern and demanding he still uses cheesy metaphors. It's basically Golden Age Superman, CIA Director :allears:

I don't think so? I thought Andrew took off cause he needed time to deal with his new reality after the transformation. I imagine if he was in a cocoon for a month someone would have noticed.

It's going to be really awkward for the movies not to acknowledge the events in this episode. I hope there's at least a throw away line about controversy or attacks over the accords.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I think having three storylines all progressing in the same universe, but having one of them moving at a slower rate is an incredibly stupid and confusing idea. Especially without actually saying so. Which is not to say it's not what's happening.

I also think 'one of them' just means someone with super powers, but they didn't want to say 'powered person' because that sounds dumb. Also they didn't want to say inhumans because no one gives a poo poo about inhumans except a few comic book readers, and the last thing Marvel wants to do is remind their viewers about that movie that quietly got canceled because, again, no one gives a poo poo about inhumans.

Also I hope the Mutant Registration Act Stokovia Accords stops getting referenced all the drat time. It's becoming shorthand for 'hey both sides should sit down and hear each other out because they both have valid points, and they can probably reach an agreement but let's not do that because we need a plot to happen so they have to fight now'

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's probably stupid, but the biggest pet peeve I have about the Netflix shows not acknowledging the movies are the fact that they keep showing the New York skyline without the Stark Industries/Avenger building.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Excuse me, I think you're referring to the rebranded Iron Patriot :fsmug:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Being offended that a Colombian would have friends in Miami is really, really scraping the bottom of the barrel. Is it possible that it was just a fun, non offensive episode, or is there some kind of mandatory quota that must be reached?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Everyone likes to balk at the word offended, I guess I should replace it with 'criticize for not being progressive enough'

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

That's not how teaming up is supposed to work!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I loved the ABC News cross promotion. ABC is *the* news network senators go to when they want to leak some poo poo.

The previous message was brought to you by ABC.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Radio! posted:

I think the implication was only that his actions at the bombing in Vienna were staged, but that doesn't necessarily imply he wasn't genuinely a hero before that. Seems more likely that if it were staged "they" would have chosen someone who already had a heroic war record of some kind.

Yeah, I think that's probably what's going on. All the best lies are at least half true.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Stunt Rock posted:

It also tied in to the Helicarrier showing up at the end of the movie as well.

The Helicarrier thing was pretty underwhelming. It was just a cold open that was totally unrelated to nothing going on and got like one offhand mention later. It honestly felt like it was something filmed later and just stuck on the front of the episode so they could say they had a tie in.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It's possible that Eli ordered the hit for some kind of sacrifice thing, but I doubt it.

The conversation between Robbie that the Loco seemed to me like the hit was ordered because random street violence, then Robbie got his powers and murdered every other 5th street loco, except the one he couldn't get to in prison. Obviously the prison guy didn't know it was Robbie, that's why he was like "then my whole gang got massacred idunno".

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Fun episode. I see no reason why we should expect to see Blaze again though.

"Collectively we came up with 132 highly improbable, very stupid theories, then one of them turned out to be mostly right. We are literally the best at watching TV" :smuggo:

Congrats guys? This is dumbest thing that TV IV does on a regular basis, which is really saying something.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Gorilla Salad posted:

No, he was being a twat before that ever happened. In fact, from the second he realised Daisy was Inhuman.

I'm so tired of the inhumans crap. I was really hoping they'd finally most past it this season.

"What do you mean you don't want this person around? Just because she could accidentally level a few city blocks if she had a nightmare, and still tends to make entire buildings shake if she starts to lose her temper, you intolerant rear end!"

I wonder if we'll even know if Melty guy's husband committed UNSPEAKABLE WRONGTHINK ...right before he got killed by something he had absolutely no business expressing fear about.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

PunkBoy posted:

I feel like there's something we're not knowing about Gabe. It totally looks like he takes a bullet through the heart.

Yeah, he was probably gonna die except for the whole deal with the devil thing. Of course the deal was for his life, so only the life threatening injuries got healed, leaving him still paralyzed.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I just assumed Ironsides was a reference to something because of Archer but I didn't know what.

This reminds me that I"m still waiting for the Zephyr to get ghoster rider-fied. If he turns while inside that is what's supposed to happen right?

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Only if he's piloting it.

That better happen. At least a quinnjet.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Last night's episode jumped the shark. What a completely unbelievable Orwellian nightmare full of terrible, uninteresting new characters.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Boo gently caress inhumans. Of course they never follow through so it's not like it matters.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
As much as I love Marvel Netflix shows, they have yet to stick a landing and have a good end to a season. The first half of Daredevil S2 was probably as good as it gets, while the second half... yeah. Top marks for tone and character development and world building though, holy poo poo all those things are consistently amazing.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Turk doesn't get enough credit. The perpetually unlucky petty criminal who binds the Netflix shows together. I hope he has a hand in setting up the big bad in the Defenders, and finally gets his revenge right before falling off a building.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

STAC Goat posted:

Is there something indicating the end of Shield?

Some doomsayer said that Shield definitely wouldn't be renewed after this season. There's no real proof one way or the other, but the ratings aren't great, so :shrug:

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Marvel seems to have a terrible record actually following through on TV shows they announce, so I'm not holding my breath on any of this.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
As more people get used to DVRs, and Cable and even Netflix style release schedules, this kind of bullshit feels more and more outdated, inconvenient and annoying.

I think Lucifer is the only network show I've watched in the past several years where I don't end up hating the network for going out of their way to try and make me stop watching their programming. But it's only in season 2 yet, so I'm sure it will happen eventually.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Actually the other network show I watch is Bobs Burgers, and it's been pretty like AoS this month, for the past seven years. (Fox is literally the worst)

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I wish they had written out the numbers now in a fancy cursive script, just to make nerds heads explode. One one zero one zero one one zero zero zero one zero.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Yo-yo is fun, but I'm really annoyed at the fact that they totally forgot how her powers worked. Now she's just generic speedy person.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Originally she had the time between her heartbeats to move before getting pulled back to her original position, which is why her name made sense. It's not at all way happened this episode.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

AbstractNapper posted:

She still seems to get pulled back though in every occasion she uses her power in the episode.
The limitation seems to still apply.
I don't get what you think has changed. She is not the generic speed person at all.

It's possible that I missed it, but I didn't see her getting pulled back at all. The first time with the explosion that weird jumping effect happened, and the second time was just a budget version of those two scenes from X-Men. Before she'd have time to zip ahead and grab someone's gun or something, but now she's Quicksilvering across the room interacting with a dozen people and carefully setting up hilarious results. Like someone else said she mentioned she's been working on her powers and maybe they're just showing how much better she is at it now.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
That was amazing. Something I've always wanted was when the question is asked "Are they robots really developing sentence/feelings/emotions?" for the answer to be "Actually, no." I don't think that has ever happened before.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
The Terminator line made it all worth it though.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Grognan posted:

I did not like the betrayal of the dude in the copter

If you make a sacred pact with your sister, that one of you will for sure kill the other if they ever get changed into an inhuman, you probably shouldn't be so incredulous when you turn into an inhuman and your sister tries to kill you, and maybe not get into a helicopter with her right after the goons she hired tried to kill you. That was pretty dumb, yeah.

Maybe it's because of Westworld, but I like evil scientist man being behind things instead of evil robots turning evil just because they're robots and they have feelings now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
What about that hologram guy from a long time ago? Wasn't he ex-shield or something and then never got mentioned again?

• Locked thread