Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GigaPeon posted:

How are they handling it this year?

The third season of American Crime is going to be airing during the gap.

(It's nine episodes long, so it's long enough to bridge the gap between half seasons, and it's airing in the timeslot that it always aired in anyways -- I have absolutely no idea why ABC thought that airing American Crime and Agent Carter as a double feature was ever a good idea).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Sammus posted:

Who was the evil lady at the end, and what was that thing in the corner? Someone undergoing human->inhuman metamorphosis? For a really long time?

I can't remember how terrigen works, exactly, but I assumed he was dead? Like what happened with Triplett before Daisy accidentally disintegrated him.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Nah the terrigen got thrown in the sea and is infecting people via fish oil pills. Regular humans don't have any adverse reaction from the pills but people who have the Inhuman gene get rockified.

But it's not clear he took the pills. He could have been exposed to one of the rods.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

frgildan posted:

Wasn't that the plan the Russians had last season?

I kind of hope they get back to that plot at some point. Honestly seems like a pretty big deal.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

I miss Joey. Is he not around due to actor availability?

I've not seen any official confirmation for this season, but it's certainly why he had to drop out of the last quarter of the previous one.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Random question, but are there any goons currently watching SHIELD, but who dropped it back in Season 1, and picked it up again after it got really good?

It just seems to me that main viewership stories like that are of people never being convinced to come back to the show, or picking up a random episode and deeming it not particularly better than the original show.

(That or Ward fangirls mourning their loss and hating the show).

I only ask because I'm always surprised that this show is losing viewers, when it's consistently good and fun, and easily the best superhero show out there to boot. (Certainly non-Netflix edition, though Gotham will probably always have my heart). I'm pretty sad that the show probably won't make it to season 5, or that Season 5 will probably be a shortened half season. The ratings are toilet-y.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
That would explain why there's no press release for the episode in a fortnight. They're taking a week off between episodes 6 and 7 so people can catch up with the film.

(And also because the first half of the season always has two, single week breaks.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, it's going to be some combination of a devil possessed Aida* or Parminder Nagra's villainous Senator character (who's clearly being held back for bigger developments down the line, re: her brother).

*They can't not do science + magic. That's inevitable.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Heads up peeps: SHIELD is taking a three week (at least!) break off after tonight's episode. Election, loving David Blaine Special, and Dancing With The Stars finale, respectively.

That's also nearly the entire November Sweeps period, barring tonight's episode, and a potential episode at the end of November. The likelihood of an even a short season renewal (to round the show out to 100 episodes) is incredibly unlikely.

Edit: That last part is my speculation -- from what I understand, reaching 88 episodes (i.e. the end of this season) is enough to reach minimum syndication requirements, though I understand that they'll get considerably more money for selling 100 episodes rather than 88, which makes a final shortened season renewal a possibility -- provided that they don't throw the 18 Agent Carter episodes in to the mix.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 1, 2016

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
My current money is on SHIELD getting renewed, but only for a final, thirteen episode season. The syndication threshold is now at 88 episodes, but I think channels still get a lot more for hitting 100, which the thirteen episodes would bring the show to.

Plus, the Inhumans show that's airing next year is only going to be eight episodes long, but it's airing in September. Which puts SHIELD at midseason, with its ending tying into Infinity War. Makes a lot of sense to me. Plus, even though the show's not doing great in live numbers, its still got strong international pull, and they're not going to completely alienate an audience that ABC wants to cultivate by taking away all the central shows so suddenly and without fanfare -- look how pissed people were about Carter.

FInally, ABC really sucks in ratings this year, and has banked on a _lot_ of stinkers, including pretty much every single new show bar Designated Survivor. If they're going to get rid of all, or most, of them, they're not going to get rid of so many channel stalwarts in one fell swoop as well. Which is why I'm predicting a shortened final season, as a stop gap measure.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Worst part is that it's going to be back for a measly two episodes, and then off again for gently caress knows how long.

Oh yeah, ABC, I'll definitely commit to your new Inhumans series. You definitely can't balls up the airing of an eight episode season. -___-

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Complaining that the system is stupid is fine, complaining the the network has it in for their show beacause there are breaks makes you look like a moron.

It's not that the network isn't showing the show regularly, though putting it on a month long break during the climax of an arc is pretty lovely. The bigger problem is that the show's been scheduled to skip nearly the entirety of the November sweeps period, which does indicate a substantive lack of faith on the network's part.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
He also might not be dead. You can survive a snapped neck, right? A few augmentations, guy could be good to go.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

enraged_camel posted:

Anyway, AoS isn't even comparable to any of the DC shows. It's above and beyond all of them in production quality. Well-written story, really solid cinematography, believable characters who act like adults and overall great dialogue. It's pretty sad that ABC and Marvel don't seem to care about it, but we all know that networks and studios act in dumb ways, especially when it comes to supehero franchises.

I'd argue that Gotham often has cooler locations and cinematography, and is occasionally funnier.

But otherwise, yeah, there's absolutely no competition. I'm astounded that people would argue there was. Maybe the CW shows are hitting some sort of cluster of nostalgia nerves that my body doesn't contain, but otherwise I just don't get it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
How likely is it that Senator Nadeer could be an unactivated Inhuman? If her brother carries the gene, then she could be a potential carrier too, right?

I love me some Inhuman on Inhuman fights, though I doubt we'll be seeing too many before this season's third act.

Ensign_Ricky posted:

Don't we already know who the Superior is? He's the Smoke Monster.

Potential Suspects, in rough order:

* Ex-Agent Blake
* General Talbot
* Director Mace
* Dr. Radcliffe
* Another Ex-Shield Agent

Completely random outlier: Gravitron / Quinn Evil Powercouple

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Given that we seem to be calling our predictions, I reckon that May works out she's been replaced by an LMD when she opens the Darkhold and it's just pages and pages of computer code.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

STAC Goat posted:

My guess is if there's a "Phase 2" of the Defenders series after the Defenders series then that may indirectly deal with/reference the fallout of Age of Ultron/Civil War and the Sokovia Accords the same way the "Phase 1" series references The Avengers and "The Incident".

But since its pretty well isolated away from the MCU or Agents of Shield I assume those references will stay vague unless they really want to do something with it like forcing Luke and Jessica to register.

I'm pretty sure they have referenced Age of Ultron -- certainly in Daredevil's second season, maybe in Luke Cage?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

hangedman1984 posted:

Does make you wonder how dumb Jiaying's group must have been when they were talking about how no matter what they tried they couldn't completely remove the metal impurities, when the answer is "stick it in water".

Yeah, though they were also isolationists, and led by dickbags. It's entirely possible they knew but didn't care -- or didn't know how to separate the terrigen back out of the water at a suitable level of potency.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I desperately want to see an in-universe documentary (do it like that Farscape episode with the talking heads) about "Terragenesis and You" just because I love it when shows treat nonsense sci-fi babble with unnecessary gravitas.

I would love this. If the next season is indeed the final season (it's increasingly looking like we'll get a thirteen episode set or nothing at all) then they should put time aside to do that. Or a super silly comedy episode, like the Dollhouse one where they all get drugged.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

What leads you to say "increasingly likely to be a thirteen episode set or nothing at all?"

Because people have been saying stuff about this show since the beginning, you know?

I'm guessing you've not seen the ratings? It lost a quarter of its audience between the most recent episode and the first one back from before the break, and that's on top of the entire season averaging downwards on the ratings already. It's currently sitting at just above 2 million viewers. It started the season with 3.5.

The show will have reached 88 episodes by the end of the season, which is minimum syndication threshold, i.e. the point at which it gets money back from its investment. It's not necessarily in the network's interest to keep it going, but if it does, it'll only keep it going to 100 episodes, i.e. the previous syndication benchmark, at which point ABC will get a lot more money for its sale.

The only reason the show maybe won't end this season is the comparatively lovely state of ABC drama properties, (Quantico, Once Upon A TIme, ect. outside Shondaland they're rubbish, and even then, The Catch is underperforming), some absolutely terrible decisions regarding upcoming shows that look doomed to fail (A Romeo and Juliet sequel, and a wonky looking adaptation of Time After Time) and because of the general television boom that's currently happening (coupled with the associated superhero boom).

If it does get a renewal, it'll be for thirteen episodes -- Inhumans is going to be on for eight weeks, which will make up part of that space's programming block and keep something heroic on the airwaves, and then there's Infinity War in the new year, which could be used to suggest a natural finality to the show.

Look, I love this show, and I've never been particularly worried about its renewal before, but I am now.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I assumed the was show' setting up a twist reveal with Radcliffe actually being Fitz's dad (as justified by the amount of surgery the dude's gone through), therefore allowing the character's continued existence beyond this arc. But it could be any random new character, really.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Bruceski posted:

He is the guy in charge who underlings have been calling the Superior and has given no hint of reporting to someone else. He is the Superior, some folks just can't take a hint.

Yeah, and he's credited as The Superior.

That said, you're wrong, they've said that he's working for / with the Russian government in the previous episode -- presumably the Watchdogs exist to deplete other countries of Inhuman resources, while the Russians continue to stockpile Inhumans as part of the relocation camps they established last season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

hope and vaseline posted:

I'm a little bummed we lost Nadeer already, she was a pretty good villain to hate on.

I wonder if they're going to find some way to bring her back, even if it's just flashbacks, given her brother's still a massive unresolved plot thread.

It's not like she hasn't survived being at ground zero of an explosion before.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

Also don't forget, when he woke up, he saw a bomb go off and kill a woman who looked like she was in India. I'm fairly certain he's one of those multi-powered characters, that seemed like something that'll definitely come back. It also explains why he was cocooned for so long, if he's going to end up with like 20 powers.

That was their mother -- they were celebrating her birthday when the Chitauri invaded New York. I think they say as much later in that episode.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Guys, guys. Fitz is the robot. He hosed with the detection software.

The only question is whether Gemma is one too, and for how long Fitz has been swapped (he set the scanner off last week, remember, but claimed it was Mace's outfit).

Like, either he was swapped in this episode when he was alone, or he's been a robot for ages (accounting for some of his behavior -- the interest in Aida's head, being so quick to destroy LMD Radcliffe). The latter means that he could have been loving with the LMD detector for ages, but doesn't account for his absence from the submarine (unless the original died), so I'm going with the former for now.

Coulson is using the May LMD for some other reason -- it's a misdirect.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

RIP Davis, leader of the red shirts. We all knew it was just a matter of time.

He clearly survived the episode -- he flew the jet.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pan Dulce posted:

So B.J. Britt is on Pitch and UnReal, so he's probably not coming back. J. August Richards is on Notorious too and Luke Mitchell is in Blindspot. All these are regular roles, so I don't think they'd make a cameo.

Pitch has finished shooting, and BJ Britt was only a regular for a single season on UnReal, so he's available. I don't think Notorious is filming now either, but Luke Mitchel is right out as Blindspot films year round.

I imagine Amy Acker's available, so we could see the cellist again.

Dichen Lachman's husband works on the show pretty regularly, but she's also a regular in Altered Carbon, which just started filming. I guess she's a tossup, depending on how big her role is and where they're filming the show.

I believe Preacher is filming now, so I dunno about Ruth Negga. She might be pretty expensive these days too.

In terms of randos, I reckon we'll see the return of Agent Burrows and Whitehall, mostly because of how much the cast / crew seems to enjoy working with the actors. I've no idea about anyone else.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Other than May, he's definitely been in there the longest.

(Uh, depending on when Fitz was taken.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

notthegoatseguy posted:

It is entirely possible the episodes are filmed. If cameos are really small, they may have filmed them ages ago if a particular actor is busy or in high demand.

Possible, but there wasn't any new material in the coming episodes trailer which makes me think that they're only just now filming this last pod.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

irlZaphod posted:

Also I think it's been mentioned already but I do like how this season has had 3 distinct (but connected) story arcs. I think it has worked really well. Doing 22 episodes about essentially the same thing really drags (even the 13 eps of the Netflix shows does).

The three-act structure for seasonal construction has been around for a while; most genre shows easily fall into it. This is particularly true of 22 episode seasons, largely bolstered by the need to insert climaxes during the sweep ratings periods, who tend to coincide with act climaxes. For example, every season of any Mutant Enemy show largely tracks this way, from SHIELD to Buffy.

For its faults, Iron Fist gets some very basic structural things correct that several other Netflix shows gently caress up (Luke Cage being a primary example, but several other Netflix shows fail this), in terms of pacing its acts and treating episodes like individual nuggets of content.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

It's "What If?" iirc

That's the episode title. You were close though?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I wonder if they're going to use the simulation to explain, what, exactly, Vijay's powers are.

(And that way it gives the characters a leg up on him when they encounter him again in the real world).

Also, there's a non-zero chance that Skye or another sympathetic character is going to end up in that machine. Bonus points if it's Simmons, and being tortured by Fitz is the only way she can get access to him (in order to snap him out of his false identity or whatever, nothing weird.)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Blazing Ownager posted:

ED: If the show manages to get picked up (Come on ABC, Jesus, at least the show is doing very well with critics) for another season I would be 100% good with an LMD of good guy Ward.

I've read an interview with Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancheroen aren't planning on stopping the show this season; that they've not written a series finale, but rather a typical season finale (presumably coming complete with a cliffhanger, though I don't think they said that; I can't find the actual interview now). I'm not sure whether that decision is coming straight from Perlmutter or if it's an informed one of their part. I like to think it's because the show's had a hundred episodes (or ideally five seasons) already paid for, which might explain why the show went into early syndication back in its third season. I also think Marvel is unlikely to leave a show on a cliffhanger without a renewal, simply out of the need for brand loyalty when you've got so many new shows premiering in the next year. You don't want potential fans pissed at you when you're trying to sell them on several new things, particularly with fan loyalty cooling on Netflix Marvel. At the very least you'd want some sort of a transition (and they must realise that a big part of their audience is comprised of overseas markets and cord cutters).

Otherwise, I've got little in the way of hope here -- the ratings are a big deal, despite everything else I said.

That said, it's not clear how the potential upcoming writer's strike could affect the show, though going off past evidence, it seems likely to tip the balance in favour of a renewal while simultaneously dooming all potential upcoming pilots. But again, it's unclear.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It seems though that Project Looking Glass is actually a portal between the reality of the Framework and the rest of the show. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a) based on Aida's Darkhold powered portal technology from the first half of the season, and b) the way Simmons and Daisy end up getting out of the Framework, since every other way is now shut off.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Longbaugh01 posted:

I wondered about what the project really was and if it was just some sort of boondoggle, because why would Aida need a...(fake?) portal back to reality when she controls the framework?

I was thinking it'd be her way of transferring her consciousness into a meat body in a non-virtual world?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Simmons is totally going to lie to Mack, and pretend that Hope is another person trapped in the framework. I plain can't see Mack leaving otherwise.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I bet they'll fail to stop Aida's new body being created, but they'll stop the Fitz double coming fully online.

Then, as a season cliffhanger, we'll see the Fitz robot wake up in the ruined SHIELD base.

Or not. They might want to get away from robots next season.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

wiegieman posted:

The Darkhold can show you how to do anything, in return for driving you crazy.

I think it's even more than that -- the Darkhold can give you anything you want, in return for that thing ultimately killing you. Usually just moments after you actually get it.

Lucy the scientist never got a chance to properly use the book; Eli got in her way. But even then she was left trapped between dimensions as a ghost, and the second time she got her hands on the book she very quickly ended up dead.

Eli used the Darkhold to control matter, but just as he was about to build a new planet he was sucked into a hell dimension by the Ghost Rider, whose existence was a collateral result of his using the book in the first place.

Radcliffe wanted to use the LMD and Framework programs to prevent death and extend life. Upon completion of both his projects, Aida destroys his body and traps him in the Framework.

Aida wants to use the Darkhold to provide her with a new body, so she can fully experience what it's like to live. And a key part of being alive is dying...

(Also, everyone who's used the Darkhold has been trying to create new life. Where's that going, exactly? What's the Darkhold trying to bring into this world?)

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

howe_sam posted:

renewed?

It's not an official announcement but,

They were frequently wrong on their predictions last year -- they claimed CBS wouldn't cancel Limitless or The Mysteries of Laura, but they did. Tv By The Numbers (AKA The Cancellation Bear) is suggesting a renewal, though, giving the show four bears out of five, though they think it'll only be for a shortened, final season. Tv Line is fence sitting, and the TV Grim Reaper is giving SHIELD a 35% chance. (It has some special hidden capital-F Formula that it uses to calculate values to the percent. Sounds like sheer wankery, honestly.)

That said, no-one's had time to factor in the just breaking news about Once Upon A Time -- which looks like it's going through substantial changes, including the loss of nearly all of the leads including the main character -- which is really good news for SHIELD. ABC is in dire enough straights as it is; Channing Dungey's produced a lot of crap shows in her first year. She needs something to suggest stability among the channel's genre shows. It can't just be all Shondaland, all the time. Especially when Shondaland is producing a literal Romeo And Juliet sequel.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Effort post incoming!

irlZaphod posted:

Was it this thread where syndication was discussed, and someone mentioned that it's already reached the threshold for it? Just wondering if that's going to be a factor in whether it gets renewed or not.

It has reached syndication -- or the new level for syndication. It used to be 100 episodes, now it's 88.

However, the rumour is that production companies still get significantly more money for selling at old syndication levels rather than the new ones -- hence why Person Of Interest managed to scrape to 100 episodes despite airing on a channel that didn't appreciate it. I think that's what happened in the case of Fringe as well (though I'm not sure when the bar for syndication was lowered, unfortunately.)

Another point in the show's favour, is that you generally assume that Marvel's well versed in cult fan mentality. It's pretty bad word of mouth for them to cancel SHIELD (which has gained a fairly hardcore audience despite its rocky start) without an ending. Marvel's clearly trying to launch a number of new shows this year: Runaways, Inhumans, Cloak And Dagger... Iron Fist has caused enough damage to the television brand name already, and you can bet that they're worried about Inhumans as a result (Scott Buck strikes again!). They don't need pissed off and vocal fanbase poisoning the well. Not when there's one fresh turd floating there already.

A cancellation now also makes the sale and resale value of the show to streaming services far lower than it would otherwise be. The streaming model puts far more emphasis on having complete series. Jed and Maurissa aren't planning on ending the show this season; it's likely to end in a cliffhanger. Marvel aren't going to happy to leave things hanging.

Ultimately, it makes sense to me that the show will be renewed for a final season of 12/13 episodes, to air early next year. It gets them their money back (and more) by crossing the 100 episode threshold, it provides a longevity of resale on the product, and maintains stability both for Marvel during this time of transition and for ABC during this rocky period it's currently going through.

• Locked thread