Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Banana Man posted:

Who would win between India and China in a war for dwindling water supplies

Anyone who is a political or economic rival to either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Kind of like Skylab which landed in the Australian outback.

I wonder what the shelf of Tiangong-2 is expected?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

nickmeister posted:

Whatever happened to trolling that cowboy hat guy, telling him he was a traitor to China for living in Canada?

A lot of non-Americans have a hard time wrapping their heads around the concept of "how are you" or "what's up" as a form of greeting rather than a legitimate question. But it's an especially odd question coming from Chinese people whose typical greetings involve asking someone if they've eaten or where they're going or what they're "busy with doing."

The what's up is a regional thing too or was when I was younger. As a southerner who moved north I was shocked that people were just saying hi to me instead of wanting a detailed report if my week.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

ladron posted:

please write a book

Pre-sales from this forum alone would fund it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

This is a contrast to how China's agricultural lands are becoming too toxic and arable in parts of the last China thread.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

my new gf is from china and has all the best hosed up stories. some highlights:

-her father sold her identity along with her high school exam results to a rich family. The family's daughter than started living her life under her name. She finished two different undergrad degrees and a masters after this happened, which the fake her has since learned about and appropriated. Gf had to be smuggled out of China when she left, because she could not get a Chinese passport, due to the other her having applied for it first. She's been back to China since, but she can only do so because she's an Aus citizen now. As far as the Chinese authorities are concerned she's an unperson. Her first time seeing her family in 5 years, her dad was proudly talking about the accomplishments of his "other daughter" and suggested that my gf meets her.

-okay nothing is going to approach that one so I'm not going to try again, but she was fired from a university lecturing position for being too short once I guess.

This thread is obviously the best of the worst, but I don't see how a society can't implode with this type of behavior.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Do bride prices go down or up on the 2nd marriage?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

How's China's shadow banking sector doing? Gonna drag us all into the abyss soon?

So if China's shadow banking dragged the world economy down, would outside investment spiral too?

How would the CCP save face?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

48 pages and you've all learned nothing. There is no problem. Agree with your co-worker but do nothing. Pretend to implement her suggestions but only follow your own prerogative. If she gets angry she loses face.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

nomad2020 posted:

I'm pretty sure the Scots have us beat in the fried food department.
The US makes the best flavorful fried foods.

US problems mostly revolve around going broke to get an education and stay healthy. And not getting shot.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

THE PWNER posted:

China should play the national anthem from zepellins when they invade, all the americans will loving stand as straight as they can at attention and be free kills

Won't work. Americans will start shooting their guns in the air in celebration downing those poorly made PLA blimps.

edit: Just saw the documentary or the Univ. Texas sniper in '66. The cops that stormed the tower had to dodge bullets from citizens that started shooting back at Whitman. Your proposition of Chinese dirigibles is a gun loving Red Stater's wet dream.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 22, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The USS Ronald Reagan no less.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/mil..._source=twitter

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Oct 26, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Is that everyday pollution or smoke from the Festival of Lights firecrackers?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

I enjoy FBR talking down to everyone because I can sense his own crippled self-esteem.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Can someone explain singles day? It sounds like a holiday where someone's parents tries to guilt them into marriage. Apparently, Hollywood stars shill for Alibaba which makes billions also.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ok. And is there any cultural significance to this day? "Just buy shut poo poo day"?

E: gently caress autocorrect.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 11, 2016

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

JaucheCharly posted:

Gotta run a Voight-Kampf test.

"Taiwan NUMBER 1"

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Fauxtool posted:

thought of you haier. I love his stonefaced reaction

JaucheCharly posted:

TFW she turned 27 while you were away.

That man got ambushed so badly.

Does he lose face if decides to bail and tells her tough poo poo, or does she?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Good news! Thirty million Chinese girls just turned up.

http://wapo.st/2gzvOcz

Academics often talk about between 30 and 60 million “missing girls” in China, apparently killed in the womb or just after birth, thanks to a combination of preference for sons and the country’s decades under a repressive one-child policy.

Now researchers in the United States and China think they might have found many — or even most — of them, and argue they might not have been killed after all.

John Kennedy of the University of Kansas and Shi Yaojiang of Shaanxi Normal University have released a study claiming that the births of many of the girls may, in fact, simply not have been registered.

“People think 30 million girls are missing from the population. That's the population of California, and they think they're just gone,” said Kennedy, an associate professor of political science, according to the university website.

“Most people are using a demographic explanation to say that abortion or infanticide are the reasons they don't show up in the census and that they don't exist. But we find there is a political explanation.”

Local officials, they argue, were complicit in the concealment to retain support from villagers, and maintain social stability.

“There is no coordination between cadres saying 'we're all in agreement,'” Kennedy said. “Actually it's just very local. The people who are implementing these policies work for the government in a sense. They are officials, but they are also villagers, and they have to live in the village where they are implementing policies.”

China finally abandoned the one-child policy this year after more than three decades, allowing everyone to have two children. But there is still widespread concern about the lagged effects of a seriously skewed gender ratio on society, with young males said to vastly outnumber women. These findings could also allay some of these concerns.

“If 30 million women are truly missing, then there's going to be more males than females of marriageable age as they start looking for wives,” Kennedy said. “There is nothing more socially unstable than a bunch of testosterone with nowhere to go.”

The pair apparently stumbled on their theory when interviewing a villager in China’s northern Shaanxi province in 1996. The man had two daughters and a son and referred to the younger daughter as “the nonexistent one.”

Since the mid-1980s, villagers could legally have a second child if the firstborn was a girl.

After more interviews showed the practice to be widespread, the researchers then compared the number of the number of children born in 1990 with the number of 20-year-old Chinese men and women in 2010.

They discovered 4 million additional people, and of those there were approximately 1 million more women than men.

“If we go over a course of 25 years, it's possible there are about 25 million women in the statistics that weren't there at birth,” Kennedy said.

The 2010 Chinese census found the sex ratio at birth was 118 males for every 100 females. Globally the average is about 105 males for every 100 females.

Kennedy said the findings also question the idea that Chinese villagers were willing to kill their daughters on a massive scale. But even if the report might be seen as positive for China, Kennedy said it was until recently too politically sensitive to publish, especially for his Chinese co-researcher.

The findings are published this month in the journal China Quarterly.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

You missed your chance to say "here you are the foreigner". :(

Any missed opportunity to make someone lose face means you've lost face.

Here's two guys on motor bikes roaming around the Chinese countryside talking about how the Chinese will never accept them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2_L71lFItk

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Blistex posted:

/\ The minute Duterte officially decides to side with China and abandon the US, is the precise minute that the heads of the Philippine Military decide to put a bullet in him.

Realistically, what are China's possible responses? Trump took a phone call, he didn't officially acknowledge the ROC as being a sovereign state, he didn't declare them the rightful rulers of the mainland, and he didn't officially open regular diplomatic relations with their either. Hell, he's not even the president yet. What's China going to do to save this massive loss of face that has hurt their feelings?

Military Action is so absurd it's not even really worth mentioning. The US Navy/Air Force are not going to be driven out of any areas they are currently operating in. The Chinese have a few SAMs on their "islands" and they might say there are going to be ongoing live-fire tests in the waters around Taiwan, but they would never risk actually firing on a US military craft.

Economic Action is nearly as absurd, as they are balancing on a pretty treacherous precipice, what with their current situation being pretty indicative of a fast-approaching crash. When you look at the trade numbers between the US and China, the Chinese have the most to lose by a few orders of magnitude. If they try something drastic to save face, they will essentially be cutting off their nose to save that very same face.

Diplomatic Action is not far behind in the absurdity department since their current "friends" are a handful of African nations, North Korea, and a Russia, all of whom are either completely powerless when it comes to diplomatic influence, currently an international pariah, or both.

I'm expecting they are going to release a very angry statement, then stew in their own juices for a while. . . while not really doing anything. Hell, they might have to direct their efforts inwards, as they have been having a bit of trouble with ultra-nationalists getting seriously butthurt and this would likely be another can of gas being thrown on that particular fire they are now regretting they ever started.

This makes up for that whole Obama and the tarmac thing last summer.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Will Chinese prostitutes see foreigners, Haier? That seems like the best route to avoid crazy.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

So much collateral face loss.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

China wants to enforce a smoking ban.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-38295628?ocid=socialflow_twitter

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Well there's some western medicine that seems to be catching on?

http://bloom.bg/2h0VMrO

OxyContin Boom Is a Gold Mine for This Drugmaker

excerpt:

quote:

In April, Jiang Chuying, a 41-year-old textile worker and cancer patient, first took a 10 milligram OxyContin tablet, for leg and back pain. By late July, she was consuming 60 pills daily, each at four times the initial strength.

“She was almost taking those pills instead of food,” said her younger sister Jiang Xueying, who was Chuying’s main caregiver after she was diagnosed with colorectal cancer in August last year. “I asked the doctor why the painkiller couldn’t stop the pain. The doctor said you can only keep adding.”

As Chuying traveled to six hospitals over the course of her treatment, she was prescribed rapidly rising doses of OxyContin, but the one-track approach didn’t work. During her inpatient stays “the entire floor of the ward could hear her screaming in pain,” said Xueying.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Xerxes17 posted:

They want white skin with Chinese Characteristics.

What?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ceciltron posted:

They desire our natural pinkish hue!

If it means not having to wear warm coats in 80°F weather then I could see the draw.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

pentyne posted:

Mine was how how the insane crop figures kept escalating. Who knows if one province actually had a good year and good local party officials and reported 1000 tons of wheat versus 800 tons the previous year, because once they announced their number suddenly the next province in line started yelling "WE PRODUCED 2000 TONS OF WHEAT" and so on with each place topping the previous reported number and then everyone going back and "adjusting" up their previous statements to try and win the face battle for best province.

This sounds eerily familiar.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Blistex posted:

He's been trying to arrest anyone who has any reason to oppose him.
He's been trying to consolidate control of the country's armed forces to himself and his cronies.
Trying to craft a cult of personality by show-boating against the west.
Significantly increasing censorship and crackdowns on any manner of dissent.
And he's been trying to cultivate the idea that the party is dependant specifically on himself, "so maybe term limits are a bad thing?".

I don't know about Maoist. . . more like "Putinist"?

Will it work? I thought the party apparatus had safe guards against these kind of power moves. Is the CCP going to bend over and take this or are they going to get a share of Xi's good fortune and power?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Blistex posted:

No idea if it's going to work, or if Xi is truely trying to do that (all signals point to "yes"), but when you've arrested and disappeared anyone who might have protested your power moves, other tend to keep their heads down. He's been slowly moving in this direction from the instant he took over for Hu, and he still has half of his "state limited" reign to change things. One interesting thing to note is that many believe that Jiang Zemin has been the de-facto leader of China since he left office, since he had so heavily stacked the government and military in his favour. The instant Xi was sure he had sacked and arrested enough of Jiang's cronies, he placed him under arrest. While he might not literally sit in his current position for longer than his term, he might just pull a "Jiang" and just run the country from behind the curtains.

I never knew this was the fate of Jiang's political machine. Smart on Xi's part. I only knew that Jiang was seen as overstaying his welcome.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

So can you pick and choose which organs you wanted to donate? Or is it all in/ all out?

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

The anecdotal stories reader of comments are just as aggravating.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Seems like the kind of thing young people do in lots of countries. Especially Russia. Doesn't make any less dumb though.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

Maybe offer a couple of cattle as a gesture of good faith.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

http://www.ecns.cn/m/2017/03-10/248836.shtml

Grave robbers poisoned and killed while trying to plunder a tomb from the Song Dynasty.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

basic hitler posted:

if more of the ccp smoked more cannabis and opium i bet they'd chill the gently caress out and stop being so uncool

Or paranoid as gently caress.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Holy poo poo someone get Haierdaddy an account.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Holy poo poo someone get Haierdaddy an account.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

First object teleported to Earth's orbit

Chinese researchers have teleported a photon from the Gobi desert to a satellite orbiting five hundred kilometres above the earth. This is achieved through quantum entanglement, a process where two particles react as one with no physical connection between them.

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-40573621/first-object-teleported-to-earth-s-orbit

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

So much face loss.

Ted Cruz wants to rename the street the Chinese embassy is on in DC after Liu Xiaobo.

https://goo.gl/kZrD1s

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jul 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Loss of face that just stares at you in the face.

• Locked thread