Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

This is Japan.

Edit: Also its a group to control damaging wild animals (捕獲隊). The gun shes holding is a training/replica (you can see a small bar of metal blocking the barrel; common in blank firing guns) but they're probably practicing drivebys on wild boar or bear that get into cities and have to be put down.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

lol same guy retweeted this

https://twitter.com/eminemobama/status/827414808643317760

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I survived re-entry from the US and from Southeast Asia (and twice Japan -> Korea), I'll manage. I definitely need to have a firm plan to :frogout: though.

You've got actual teaching experience so you could probably swing something decent in Japan jfyi

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
In Japan they don't write names but some of the girls at the one near my office draw cute characters on the sleeve because I'm a regular

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Yet more proof Japan is the best, pack it up Chinailures

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Found an old example; not the best of them but I usually don't take pics

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

WarpedNaba posted:

"Meraun"? Unless I'm reading one of those ra's as an u, I have no idea what your name is.

Like I said they don't write names.

That says ぬううん kind of a nonsense soudeffect.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

after reading years of posts about this type of thing i think some people like magna really really really like china and i think he came to china expecting to like china. so i think he doesn't see a lot of the stuff that people who came with no prior expectations see. like he has the highest level of chinese possible a foreigner can have, and you don't get to that level unless you're super interested in the culture and the country and the language. he's probably a lot more upbeat about china because he wants it to be really good. i know he also likes video games so i imagine that takes up some free time and he might not spend hours walking around like haier or i do. i don't know if that's true or not, though.

i live in the nicest area of downtown tianjin, or at least i did, my lease is up on the 15th, but we have people taking dumps in our garden on the 7th floor and people spitting everywhere and smoking in elevators and people screaming HALLLLLO at my child as we try to go outside for dinner. and tianjin is a better city than chengdu. you can live in the nicest place you want, but like you said, you'll still get human dumps outside the vegetable stand around the corner. if you don't want to see it, you won't. if you just kind of walk outside and look around, you will definitely see it.

i see a lot of poo poo because i spend about 3 hours everyday walking, i usually get in anywhere from 15k-25k steps a day according to my app. so i see all the street fights and the accidents and the street making GBS threads and people walking into construction sites on their mobile phones and cars going the wrong way down the one way street before trying to do a U-turn and getting stuck perpendicular on the road. i love walking in china, it's the best. but i think if i came to china assuming it was going to be like the forbidden city everywhere i went, i wouldn't like walking so much, because i wouldn't want to see any of that poo poo.

who knows, i'm just rambling at this point. i know i do this type of thing with japan though, i go there and I'm like "OMG everything is loving AMAZING" and then i talk to people about all these problems japan has and I'm like "yeah idk japan is boss as poo poo, sorry you have a problem, i never see that!" lol

It's still pretty amazing to me just how much expats in Japan are able to bitch. Like poo poo here is pretty amazing by almost any metric, which isn't to say there isn't dumb stuff, but most of it tends to be dumb offcice politics or olds being olds which exists literally everywhere.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

UltraRed posted:

I think part of the problem is Japan is so much more modernized that they can't help compare it to how things are "back home", and when they don't line up, they get very frustrated. In China, your expectations are lower. I know these threads has definitely lowered mine of China.

Also that Japan tends to be the first step after college on a downward spiral of English teaching and poor life choices for some, so there's often nothing to compare it to, especially vis a vis office/work culture.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Jfc your posts are boring.

Like I can just scroll past so whatever but you're a boring writer and you life is boring and nobody loving cares why do you do this to yourself and us.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

oohhboy posted:

I will that this to heart.

I said that you could scroll pass not because I believe that they are without merit(pretty low self esteem place to be and someone in that state of mind wouldn't post on the first place). But you might find they are not worthwhile therefore you have both the free will, ability and my blessing for what's that is worth is skip pass it.

Basically your thought process on this is opposite from mine.

Edit: my apologies phone posting

Your lack of self awareness is really quite mind boggling. Are you just posting this all here because you have literally no friends to talk to or what? Can't imagine why that would be.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I'm in Bangkok DMK immigration and there are so many Chinese tourists and they suck at lining up.

That's my concise China story of the day. It was really really hard to not ramble on pointlessly for pages but I'm not an autist so I somehow managed.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
The Chinese couple right behind me is taking turns going up to the head of the immigration line and just staring at the immigration officer as if it will somehow make them go faster, while the other jostles to try and get in front of me in line.

They're successful in neither of these endeavors but they sure are making life hard for themselves and others.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Atlas Hugged posted:

Come drink beer and or whiskey and or tequila with me.

You're in Bangkok? I would but I'm basically doing nothing but playing rugby and drinking the next couple days and have literally no free time. Expect for maybe Monday but I'll be nursing a hangover and have a flight back to Japan at 24:05 just past midnight Monday night/Tuesday morning after which I need to work, so going to avoid over doing it.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

This is one of my least favorite things about living in Asia. People either telling you how to eat food, laughing at you for eating food "the wrong way" (which may or may not actually be true), or asking if you can eat rice/use chopsticks/grill meat/etc. The last one's only annoying until they act astonished that, yes, you are physically capable of ingesting rice.

Also, if you see foreigners eating food at a Sichuan restaurant in a very non-metropolitan area of a fairly un-touristed city, and you ask them if they are teachers, and they say yes, please don't then ask them, "In China?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?" because jesus loving wept.

Protip never be a teacher and you won't have to deal with this

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Please you think too highly of your ability to analyse someone through the internet. Why the hell are you trying to do that anyway?

You might as well be self trolling considering you seem to be stressing about me more than I am. The only one that stresses more is my well intentioned aunt.

So wait is this the "puppet master" phase or the "I'm a dumbass on purpose" phase or what?

I mean I know it's a harsh reality to realize that literally everyone who reads your stuff dislikes you but you're going to have to confront that you're an uninteresting human being and an uninteresting writer sooner or later so if you could speed along the lovely Poster Phase Progression a little quicker it would be cool thanks

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

I like how nobody can process the idea that a white person doesn't speak English. Especially fun since the majority of white people don't speak English so I don't know where this idea even came from.

Tbh though I would be pretty surprised if the majority of whiteys who went to China didn't speak conversational English.

Most white people are from Europe or NA, a good amount of Europeans speak English well enough, and of people who go to China most are likely to be educated and speak English.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Flyball posted:

What happens when they see someone like this?

Do their eyes pop out of their head like a Warner Bros. cartoon character?

Please don't doxx me thanks

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Let us English posted:

Yes I tried that. They don't take that for an answer. It's even worse for women. They will literally pick them up off the street to get people in the club. Their Japanese handlers don't like it when they see it but it still happens.

Can't say this doesn't happen but it's not a common occurrence.

Also "I'm good bro" or some variation thereof works every time for me sooooo

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Aredna if you follow this thread please opine tia

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You must not look rich or female. I tried that once and after a few repetitions of "No" he started screaming and running and after me. I got chased INTO the road while the guy called me a loving bitch and said he'd find me and kill me. I ran all the way across the street into traffic and the fucker was still chasing me; I managed to lose him in Shinjuku station long enough to go through the turnstiles and jump on my train. Had to call my ex to meet me at the station because I wasn't completely sure the tout hadn't followed me. Never went back to Kabukicho alone again.

In short, shhhhhhhhhhhh you have no clue.

Yeah, this happened to a friend of ours. She was on Takeshita-dori shopping, fell for the "I'm gonna wave at you to get your attention" gambit, and after repeatedly telling the guy "no," he picked her up and started carrying her into the bar. She screamed so loud that his yakuza handler came running and made the guy drop her. It was awful.

What bars are there in Takeshita-doori

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Aredna posted:

Don't follow the thread but was linked in here.

I don't know poo poo about kabukicho, but people dont get picked up or chased down the street for saying "no".

I've seen touts in roppongi get mad twice. Once someone called them "friend of the family" to their face.

The other time a new guy shoved through me and my group of friends and I told him to watch the gently caress out. He grabbed me arm and started getting pissy at me and talking poo poo. He didn't want to let go of my arm so I said fine, let's go to the cops. Thinking he was calling my bluff we started on the way and when the other touts asked him what's up he told them we were going to the cops. They freaked the gently caress out and pulled him away and bought me and friends a free round at the bar we were going to. Guy was gone less than a week later.

Anyways - normally no or "I'm going to <name of place>" and they'll leave you alone.

These guys are busting their rear end so they make quota and keep their 5m/year job and not get sent back to Africa. After hours they're pretty cool to chill and have a drink with.

5m/year would be pretty drat good compared to usual Japanese salary tbh

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You are welcome to argue with my personal experience if you want- I can't prove it- but thank you for the insult.

I understand that all women are now officially garbage under the US government, but I really don't need that.

bai thred

Yo I'm not doubting it happened to you and I don't think any of us were, but "touts will literally abduct you" is not exactly an accurate statement because the suggestion is that it's a regular occurrence, which I doubt, and most people here doubt, based upon our combined decades of living in Japan, and Aredna's presumably literal decade of boozing in Roppongi (which is impressive when you consider he hasn't been in Japan for a decade, but Roppongi tends to warp time).

For example I've had a couple old Japanese assholes literally try to fight me, but I don't make the statement "Japanese people will try to fight you" because those were the actions of a individuals and not really enough of a sample size to make broad claims about people. Expats making claims like this not realizing how ridiculous their generalizations are is a common occurrence and the thread, the individuals in it, and myself, reacted as we usually do.

It wasn't until later that the details of your posts suggested that you were a woman and I didn't realize myself. Congrats, you're getting treated like any other poster here does; this is equality.

For fucks sake the whole thread repeatedly called ooohboy a trash human being with no friends and not even he huffed off so quick.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

nickmeister posted:

As for the Tokyo kidnapper story, what's their game plan? They physically carry you into the bar to...? I mean are they trying to force you to patronize their bar or are they trying to abduct you into slavery? That sounds seriously scary. Also, Japan seems like a weird place to go to commit felonies, but I guess the Japanese police largely ignore it if they keep it confined to their one little area and only pray on other foreigners?

Japan definitely has a human trafficking problem, but it's mostly a receiver, and even if they're going to abduct someone they'd probably just drug them, also why would they target foreign tourists? Japan has a shitton of girls who live invisible lives working mizushoubai who probably would not even be noticed if they disappeared.

They usual scam with touts is occasionally the really seedy places will charge an "entrance fee" of a couple hundred bucks just for going in, without mentioning it. But if you literally physically take someone into someplace thats not likely to fly. I have no doubt that she came across a crazy dude but it's not a sustainable or profitable tactic to literally just pick up people off the street so it's not like it's some established tactic for touts.

The story here is "some dude/ettes are potentially violent nutbags" but that's not really news or unique to Japan or touts or anything.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ladron posted:

wait, wtf happened?

loving patriarchy man, even when people don't know you're a woman they can like *sense* it; that's when the oppression starts

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Who are you talking about here? I'm honestly confused. Fleta has mentioned being a woman pretty recently in the thread, so I assume it's not her.

Didn't notice I guess. Stringent also said he didn't. I mostly read on my phone so I'm probably missing poo poo.

Pirate Radar posted:

Meh, I'll be fair and let that one go by since this is where GBS and Tumblr have something in common: not everybody with big boobs is a woman.

Also this.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

ladron posted:

I'm not trying to discredit or back anyone up, and this set of experiences only applies to what I have seen in korea, but yeah, guys will totally grab, push, pull, carry, coerce, etc. women into their booking clubs (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booking_(clubbing)) .
It's partly a cultural thing (oh no I'm a woman, I can't go there and get all slutty unless someone forces me!") partly a patriarch thing (loving bitch be my cock hole and serve me drinks GET IN THERE) and partly girls just scamming guys for drinks like everywhere else in the world.

From my understanding this is something different because the girls already willingly go there.

I've actually been to one of these places in Busan, though not by choice. I was visiting Korea during a break from Japanese language school and it was me, my former Korean housemate from Tokyo, and his two friends, one of which was a rather short and not particularly good looking chef in what looked like schoolboys bowl cut who tried to fight someone about 3 times that night, from what I gather, though I'm not sure on details as I know virtually no Korean and the only person I could talk to was my former housemate. Our common language was Japanese, and honestly his Japanese was not that good.

Anyway we went drinking a bit, then he said lets go to a club. I thought it was a normal club, but there seemed to be some difficulty at the entrance, I think because they thought I might be military; I usually kept my hair in a buzzcut then, and generally had that sort of skinniness you see in a fresh-out-of boot Marine that joined to make something of himself and get ripped, but had only gotten so far as to become skinny as a hell once they had to run every day and were separated from going for seconds and thirds of their momma's special enchilada. So I could see where they were coming from.

My friend eventually negotiated us in, and we went to this huge underground club with a high ceiling and crazy stage that had moving walls. I think it was previously (or even currently, in the daytime) some sort of theater or event space. We sat down, got the whisky and fruit course, where they brought us whisky and fresh fruit, which which I presume would have been as awful of a combination as it sounds were it not for the soju drank previously, after which everything else is either at-least-better-than-the-loving-soju or the kind of numb deliciousness that only comes from being proper drunk.

It was suggested that we get some girls; being the goony goon I was at the time I was hesitant to try and hit on girls who I could not talk to at all, but it seemed that wouldn't be an issue, as nobody at my table was standing up to go to the dance floor. This didn't seem that conducive to chatting up girls, but little did I know that while I wasn't looking my friend had negotiated with one of the staff, who a few minutes later came back *literally dragging two girls* who were at least putting on a show of resistance across to our table.

This weirded me the gently caress out, but then I realized looking across at the other tables that this was happening everywhere, with girls getting dragged from table to table. It was odd as hell, but my friend was busy talking to a girl himself, and my questions were not to be answered until one of the girls brought by happened to speak English. She explained to me the system, and told me that most of the people, girls included, there were actually there for the afterparty of her university's graduation ceremony.

Why the gently caress they would go there willingly for graduation party I do not know, and doubt I got a good answer for.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Stringent posted:

No, I said I didn't realize Let Us English was a woman.

LimburgLimbo posted:

I mostly read on my phone so I'm probably missing poo poo.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

moldovan scullery posted:

tonight I met a Chinese girl, and I thought we were starting to hit it off but then she told me that listening to hip hop meant that i had a very hot spirit, and that she was looking for men that were a bit cooler

shits rough

You could try to drink cold water to cool your spirit but it would be bad for the healthy so be careful

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

simplefish posted:

also i dont think people mind "x happened to me" "well it didnt happen to me" stuff, its "x happened to me" "no it didnt, couldnt have coz it didnt happen to me" that pisses people off. esspecially if you also include "...although they got physical with me in a slightly different way" after saying it flat out never happened to the.other poster

And "bai thred" is a 'meltdown' now? Puh-leese.

someone else brought up fleta or whatever her name is these days being a woman not her

i said id take pics and post if thread wasnt lovely, i took pics, but thread still lovely

What if the thread is lovely because you post in it therefore you will never be able to post pictures!?

Drunk & Ugly posted:

has anybody read Tokyo Vice

lots of "foreigners in japan" stories that kind of resemble the chinese ones here. he's sort of a nerd that becomes a journalist, fluent in Japanese and works for a major paper. even as a veteran he has a hard time interviewing anyone because they all tell him to go away and they alredy subscribe to the paper and then look confused when he explains he's a journalist working for it

Also foreign strippers get killed and no one gives a poo poo

and in one case the heads of a yakuza group go to UCLA to get liver transplants after lots of bribery. All fun stories

Nobody believes Jakeyboy. I've met him a few times and don't believe him. Some of it based on reality I'm sure but definitely heeeeeavily embellished.

He says poo poo like he's in hiding but he also used to just hang around in the Pink Cow so he must not be trying hard.

LimburgLimbo fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Mar 3, 2017

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Good question! Why are you, LimburgLimbo?

Wait I'm confused am I the patriarchy or am I loving the patriarchy?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

you can just stop here and quit while you're ahead

Gimme a sec I need to get out my notes:

LimburgLimbo posted:

So wait is this the "puppet master" phase or the "I'm a dumbass on purpose" phase or what?

I mean I know it's a harsh reality to realize that literally everyone who reads your stuff dislikes you but you're going to have to confront that you're an uninteresting human being and an uninteresting writer sooner or later so if you could speed along the lovely Poster Phase Progression a little quicker it would be cool thanks

Haha saying I was confused was only a ruse!

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

hakimashou posted:

The hosed up part is that roppojango Kikibichi or whatever isn't even in China

This whole seedy area that everyone is talking about is like literally around 150m of street in Roppongi and like 300m? square in Kabukicho that's actually seedy. For all they're tiny areas people sure do seem to talk about them a lot. Including in every Asia thread.

Edit: but it's probably fair game because I'm sure China has claimed Japan at some point

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Dr.Radical posted:

Also I want to hear about LimburgLimbo's experiences in meeting Jake Adelstein. I have also heard he is full of poo poo. He seems to be the only American "expert" available whenever American TV is making a documentary or show about Japan, so you see his dorky face all the time.

Nothing crazy, he was just at a dinner thing and we talked a bit, seen him around elsewhere. I didn't exactly grill him on all his poo poo. He's around Tokyo all the time and you'll run across him every once in a while depending on who your friends are, as is the nature of Japan's small international community.

He tends to hang around with a lot of young girls from his alma mater, who are "interns" and poo poo but it seems a bit creepy at times.

He apparently used to hire bodyguards when he went to public places or conventions or poo poo to hold up the highly dubious story that the yakuza had it out for him.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Hell anyone who wants to meet him should just come up with a good pretext and message him on FB haha, he'll probably do it

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Oh yeah that reminds me, he apparently used to room with college girls too haha. Not sure of the details surrounding that but it's pretty amusing.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

The Great Autismo! posted:

ya i mean its just from my experiences that people don't want to speak it, but then when i ahve trouble understanding japanese, they bust out pretty good english

whereas in china it seems that people literally scream the two english sentences they know at you, and then you ask them "where did you learn your english, that's not bad" and they just stare at you like :stare:

Honestly this makes living in Japan much nicer than anywhere else in Asia if you're fluent in the language, I imagine. I go about my life and almost nobody fucks with me by Englishing at me.

I acknowledge it's kind of a pain if you're a tourist, but as a long term resident it makes me happy.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Fat Jesus posted:

gonna assume this is chinese but if not ok

Japanese bruh

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

Small "oh hey, Taiwan" moment: my boss just walked around handing out cookies. "From Japan!" she smiled. "Everything from Japan is good."

Not seeing what the issue is here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Taiwan honestly got the best deal out of the Japanese empire's expansionist poo poo. It was still lovely imperialism and all but Taiwan was by most metrics the most successfully colony in the history of colonialism, and there's plenty of Taiwanese who look back on it with a level of fondness even, in my experience. Don't know if you've felt otherwise but it's been a common sentiment in the Taiwanese people I've met.

There was also a solid couple of generations in the 50 years or so of Japanese colonization where a lot of Taiwanese people grew up as basically Japanese citizens.

Plus they were established as a colony before Japan reeeeally went off the deep end with killing and raping the gently caress out of people when discipline started failing.

Completely different experience from mainland China.

• Locked thread