Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/02/03/513259703/in-just-5-moves-grandmaster-loses-and-leaves-chess-world-aghast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUJY4oAQn8I

tl;dr Chinese chess master lady gets randomly paired against other women, assumes sexism, blatantly throws final match in face-saving tantrum

Not really sure what to think of this. She probably dealt with a ton of actual sexism throughout her career, but in the case the pairings were literally decided by a computer. Worth watching the video just to hear the British commentator freaking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I really enjoy Haier's stories but I don't understand why he keeps doing these things that always seem to end in frustration or disgust for him. I'm assuming there are a lot of good things that happen to him that he just doesn't share because they're not as funny as the bad things.

Anyway my experience with Chinar is that I went to Beijing for a 2 week trip back during my college days (right before the 2008 Olympics) to scope the place out for a potential bullshit English teaching job. Even as a 22 year old with failing grades the whole thing seemed way too sketchy for me. Like every place was super eager to take me before even asking for any qualifications, and every time I followed up with a school the details always changed in strange ways. What they said on the phone would always be totally different from what they said in person. The whole thing hit too many red flags so I gave up on the idea.

It was cool seeing how life works there, though. I was traveling with my college housemate/friend with benefits who was a Beijing native studying in the States, so I stayed at her place instead of some touristy hotel. Her mom had been recently diagnosed with cancer so we helped her out with the hospital visits a few times and I got the full China medical system experience. It was pretty crazy how inefficient and inconvenient everything was, almost seemingly by design. Like the doctor gave her mom a prescription, so we went up 3 floors, pushed our way through a non-line of people to get to a little window where a lady exchanged our piece of paper for a different piece of paper, traveled down 2 floors, pushed our way to another little window, exchanged papers again, down to ground floor, another crowded window, exchanged papers for medicine. Same routine each day. It really struck me how people didn't line up or really have any kind of system for ensuring that a particular person will not be waiting forever. How do the little old people get through the crowd? Everyone just pushed them out of the way.

Everyone was pretty nice to me, basically treating me like a celebrity everywhere I went (unless we were "queuing" up for something, then it was every man for himself). I'm a tall white guy and not to brag but I have pretty decent looks, and apparently this is all it takes to make you the center of attention at all times in China. It got to the point where I had to start denying photo ops with random people. One person would want to take a picture with me for some reason, and then a small crowd would start and everyone would want a turn. It was odd.

Conversely, the Chinese people seemed to hate each other. They basically regarded other humans as obstacles rather than people. There was no concept of random kindness or common courtesy. Like hold the door open for someone and you're just a sucker who didn't get in first. It made me kind of sad and distressed.

I ate local food almost entirely but wow the Pizza Hut over there sure is nice.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/peoplesdaily/article-4199708/Parents-fed-280-expandable-water-balls-daughter.html

quote:

Careless parents mistakenly fed their three-year-old daughter a full bottle of expandable water balls on February 1 in Shuyang, east China's Jiangsu province.

The report on Huanqui, an affiliation to People's Daily Online, stated the father did not notice he was feeding his daughter expandable water balls until the mother picked the last one up off the floor.

The three-year-old girl, nicknamed Xiao Xin, was given medication to expel 200 water balls out of her body. The remaining water balls are expected to discharge within the next 24 hours.

The young mother told the reporter that she went out to buy sweets from a nearby mini market and thought the one she grabbed was her daughter's favourite sweets, which look like Wonka Rainbow Nerds.

The mini-market owner forgot to tell her that the colourful granules were in fact expandable water balls.

The woman gave the capsules to her husband, who fed them to Xiao Xin while his wife was cooking.

Xiao Xin's father recalled that he 'poured the water balls out on his palm and fed her in bunches.'

The parents didn't realise the error of their ways until they picked up the last 'candy', which had dropped on the floor.

The mother ate it and immediately spat it out.

'It's very hard and not sweet, then I notice it's not candy but the expandable water balls,' she recalled.

The parents panicked when they looked at the empty bottle. They returned to the mini-market to buy another bottle in a bid to find out how many balls it contained. They counted a total of 280 water beads.

Water beads expand when they are in contact with water. They are made of durable, super-absorbent polymers, absorbing water up to 50 to 100 times its original weight.

They promptly sent their daughter to Huai'an Maternity and Child Health Care Hospital.

Doctor Xia Sun Lin took an X-ray of Xiao Xin and located the water balls. He then prescribed medications with the effect of laxatives to stimulate her bowel movement.

That night Xiao Xin had expelled more than 10 water balls and they were slightly expanded.

The following three days, the parents took pictures of her excretion and counted over 200 water balls.

I'm actually willing to look past the buffoonery of these people feeding their child plastic, since these things actually do look a lot like candy. But why the gently caress would you even buy a bottle of what you think is candy and then sit there feeding your little kid [i[the whole loving thing[/i] in one sitting?

Also I'm kind of concerned about the action the doctor took. He just gave the kid a laxative in the hope that they pass through quickly, but given that these things are extremely water absorbent, they could cause serious dehydration.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I don't live in China, but I work in Diamond Bar, CA which, along with several neighboring cities, is a region known for its large Asian immigrant population (mostly mainland Chinese, but lots of people from the other major Asian nations). For the most part it's great because I'm surrounded by a diverse assortment of Chinese/Taiwanese/Japanese/Korean/Thai restaurants that are legit authentic but still have to abide US health codes.

There are definitely some Chinar annoyances, though. Going back to gym chat, old Chinese people really are a problem at the local 24 Hour Fitness. They love to grab a machine, set the weight to the minimum amount possible, and then just work something vaguely similar to the intended motion the entire time. When I leave for the day, I will see multiple old people on the exact same machines they were on when I walked in.

This one is the hottest poo poo among old Chinese dudes:

You're supposed to sit on your knees and pull your lower body forward and upward, then hold it briefly for maximum effect. It's a pretty decent ab workout when done properly. Unfortunately, the ones at my gym have a rather generous back-swing portion of track (i.e. track that extends backwards past the point of rest). This of course indicates to the Chinese grandpas that they are meant to get on this thing and simply use momentum to swing to and fro, requiring essentially no exertion whatsoever (meaning they can do it for an unlimited amount of time).

Their other favorite activity is taking a shower without bringing a towel, then slowly traipsing about the locker room changing area and sitting their wet naked asses on the seats in an effort to spread as much old man disease water across the floor/benches as possible. At any given moment there is a good chance you will look in a random direction only to be greeted with a shriveled, nigh hairless butthole, bent over right at face level just for your enjoyment. I mean sure, it's the men's locker room and we're all adults, no need to be shy. But I swear these guys are exhibitionists. They flaunt that poo poo. They want you to look. They were forced to stare into the empty abyss of the Great Leap Forward, and while they can't bring whitey back in time to face the same horrors, what they can do is force him stare into an entirely different abyss.

Anyway, on Sichuan spice (everyone just calls it "ma la" here): IMO it doesn't taste very good on its own, but it definitely does something to your tastebuds that makes certain other things taste a lot better. It makes water taste funky/bad, but it truly does something magical with Asian style beer (read: cheap lager). All of a sudden your mostly-tasteless glass of Heineken-wannabe fluid gains a strange sort of refreshing, crisp sweetness that perfectly complements your ridiculously salty meal. One of multiple reasons i refuse to get Chinese food at any place that doesn't serve alcohol.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Just got this on my FB feed. Those benefits sound like a pretty sweet deal. And look at the beautiful scenery!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Incidentally, in other Asia navy news: Taiwan has announced it's going to build 8 new submarines of an indigenous design.

Looking forward to seeing the maiden voyage of ROCS Tai Ke

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Wade-Giles is bad but Pinyin is hardly better. Why does "q" represent /tɕʰ/ when they could have just written "ch", which is much closer? Why does "x" represent /ɕ/ when they could have just written "sh", which is much closer? Why does "c" represent /ts/ when it could have just been written as a simple goddamn "ts"? Why do "sh*" and "ch*" almost make sense, except when followed by an "i", at which point they sound like shur and chur? There are more but you get the point.

Before anyone says "well as long as you've learned the system, you'll know how to pronounce things with it," I'm pretty sure the same was true for Wade-Giles, at least initially. I took a quick look at the wikipedia page for Wade-Giles just now because I'm not very familiar with it, and it seems like it actually provides a system that is fleshed out enough to properly represent Chinese words. The only problem is that it makes strange choices for the Roman characters it uses to represent the Chinese sounds, which naturally has led to misinterpretation.

The reason the same thing hasn't happened with Pinyin isn't because it's superior in some way. It's because Chinese people are the ones who predominately use it, and they obviously already know how to pronounce their own words. As a Romanization system, Pinyin fails for exactly the same reason that Wade-Giles does. Case in point: show literally anyone who is unacquainted with Pinyin a sentence in Pinyin, and they will completely mangle the pronunciation regardless of how capable they are of actually producing Mandarin phonemes.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

No offense but you're insanely ignorant about Mandarin phonology and don't know what you are talking about. Pinyin is very good at certain things, namely it is extremely systematic and regular. It is good at representing all the phonemes and having a very systematic romanization that someone already literate in another language can learn in roughly a few weeks and be able to read anything without guesswork.
Like I said, I just looked up the Wade-Giles system and it covers everything that Pinyin does. Go take a look at the wiki page if you don't believe me. They're both extremely systematic and regular, within their own systems.

quote:

The choice of /x/ or /qi/ could be considered poor choices, but "why not ch?" because /ch/ is already being used for another phoneme? It can't be used for both. They probably could have found letters that were more obvious to native English speakers, but are those necessarily going to be better for native speakers of other languages? Are they going to be any better for native Chinese speakers?

zh, ch, sh, are the retroflex versions of z, c, and s. This is why they did it, any of those with an /h/ after indicates it's a retroflex, and this choice helps show that these sounds are very closely related to each other with one single difference (being retroflex).
I understand all of this, but my point wasn't so much about what they should be, but rather the fact that what they are is completely bonkers. Instead of using the completely arbitrary q/x they could have added a ' or some other symbol to ch/sh. Just because I don't have a great solution doesn't mean I can't point out that the current one is terrible.

quote:

See above, if you did /ts/ then the retroflex (ch) would have to be /tsch/, which isn't inherently bad but it's a lot of consonants clustered together. The "i" thing is just your native language biasing you; there is no "ur," /shi/ is simply the exactly same thing as /si/ but with the tongue in retroflex position. Lips and teeth and voicing etc. are all exactly the same between the two sounds. It's the exact same difference between /su/ and /shu/, you think they should use another confusing set of letters just because native English speakers think it sounds like "ur"?
You're drawing a comparison between si and shi, but now compare with qi/xi/ji. For those, Pinyin uses the letter "i" in a way that's consistent with how it's commonly used in many languages that natively use the Roman alphabet. For ci/si/zi/shi/chi/zhi it makes a completely different vowel sound, one that is never represented with "i" in a Western language. So not only is it an arbitrary choice, but one that's internally inconsistent. Sure, you could argue that when you pronounce "shi" in Mandarin you're not actually ending a word with the same exact "ur" phoneme that's found in English, but that's still a much closer representation than "i". Actually this reminds me of a time I replied "yeah, sure" to my Chinese housemate, and she was certain I was saying 也是.

Magna Kaser posted:

You're under the misconception Hanyu Pinyin was designed as both a romanization system and a pronunciation tool specifically for English speaking westerners when it is neither.

This I didn't know. However if that's the case, what's the point of even using the Roman alphabet in the first place? As a teaching tool for native Chinese speakers, something like Pinyin is only going to confuse them later when they try to learn English, or any other language that uses the alphabet.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

angel opportunity posted:

I will give you the /i/ thing representing a different vowel, that is a good argument I hadn't thought of. It's likely done that way because there is sound in mandarin of the i in qi + the z in zi, so rather than using another letter entirely or some accent mark, they just left it as /i/. I can't say with any authority if this is good or bad, confusing or not. In my experience it doesn't confuse anyone.

What DOES confuse native English speakers at least about pinyin is stuff like /x/ vs /sh/, /q/ vs /ch/, etc. and I think there is inherently no way around this. You can argue one one side that the "arbitrary" letters are extremely confusing and poorly indicate the actual sound, but I would argue that native English speakers simply cannot hear the difference between these sounds anyway and typically just fuse all these sounds--and more--together. Go into a first or second semester Mandarin class and listen to people pronouncing "xue" vs. "shui," many students pronounce it exactly the same. Writing it as "Tsue" or something wouldn't actually help, the students just hear /x/ and /sh/ as the same sound because English doesn't have those sounds.

The argument for using arbitrary letters in this case is that it can help some students more easily realize that these are "foreign" sounds and actually quite different from each other. For me personally this helped a lot when I was learning. I kept hearing the sounds as the same, but the letters being so different made me really look in and set me to realize that these must actually be different sounds that I need to listen more closely to.

I personally think adding in ' or something to indicate retroflex would be bad because they already have tone marks and umlauts in there. They end up almost never using those, but they are used in textbooks. Imagine seeing "lǜc'á" for 绿茶

I guess my big issue with the whole x/q/c thing is that it's very prone to causing not just mildly incorrect but absolutely ridiculous mispronunciations when encountered by random laymen unfamiliar with Chinese. Instead of people simply conflating retroflex sounds with alveolar sounds, now you've got people pronouncing Chongqing like "chongkwing". If a Westerner just said "chongching" it wouldn't technically be correct, but it would still be relatively understandable. I realize that if we're considering Pinyin as nothing but a tool for Mandarin speakers, this isn't a concern*, but then my argument would be that it shouldn't be used as the standard Romanization system among Westerners, but for some reason it is.

*Even though it won't be a concern for Mandarin speakers when it comes to pronouncing Mandarin words spelled in Pinyin, as I mentioned in my previous post I can only imagine having these associations ingrained in one's head before learning English will add an extra layer of difficulty.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

Zhou Youguang, the dude who lead the team that developed Pinyin, goes into this in his very good book on the history of the Chinese language. IIRC (it's been a while since I read it) said they tried a lot of things like going back to invented glyphs like zhuyin fuhao and even making their own entirely new set of symbols. However, at the end of the day because Pinyin was a system for pronunciation to help Chinese people pronounce Chinese, and not intended to explicitly be a learning tool for non-Chinese speakers, a way to replace characters entirely, or (at the time) even a romanization system, they used Latin characters because they were already made, time-tested and ubiquitous. The romanization thing happened almost immediately after it was developed but wasn't really one of their mission statements.

Cyrillic was discussed and tbh I don't remember if he gives a reason why specifically it wasn't chosen, but by the late 50's Mao and Stalin's relationship was already on the rocks so I'd guess that was a non-trivial factor. Zhou himself lived in Western Europe and the USA before WW2 and the Chinese Civil War so he was also probably just partial to Latin letters on that as well.

This is just so bizarre to me, because it basically means Pinyin has more in common with Japanese katakana than romaji, in terms of what it's designed to accomplish. The rationale for using existing foreign characters because they're time-tested and ubiquitous would only really be valid if they didn't jumble up the commonly associated sounds. With the way Pinyin uses letters, it's basically just a code to be memorized. You could write down a "q", or you draw a drat square for all it matters. Either way you will have to first learn what that symbol sounds like, because there's no prior knowledge or intuition to rely on.

Hell, another issue just occurred to me: Pinyin doesn't properly account for unaspirated consonants. Instead it uses the voiced counterparts to represent them (i.e. "g" for unaspirated "k"). Pretty obviously another casualty of going with an alphabet that doesn't have ways to explicitly distinguish these sounds.

All in all, I maintain that Pinyin is a lovely system that sows confusion by design, and only does what it needs to do in spite of itself because it was pushed by the PRC. It's more or less logically consistent, but that isn't a big accomplishment. In China they should just use Bopomofo, or something similar, for convenience among native speakers, and Mandarin-teaching programs in the west should use some form of sane Romanization like the one from Yale that Magna Kaser mentioned a couple posts ago.

I'll stop here with the Pinyin rant since it's probably boring as gently caress to 99% of the people in this thread.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Magna Kaser posted:

I actually opened up the book this morning and there's a small section called "Issues with c/q/x" and his explanation is basically "This is weird for non-Chinese speakers, and most other systems use mult-letter things for this, but we wanted simplicity so we did it anyway!" so it's more listed as a "known issue" than anything which was kinda funny to find.

We do have a Chinese Language Thread you're welcome to post more in. I'm sure angel opportunity, I and the other language nerds would be fine keeping this topic going.

Interesting, and thanks for all the explanations. I'll take a look at that thread when I have some time.

On the topic of Taiwan and all the passive-aggressive, face-saving language slights the mainlanders like throw out against them, the one thing that legitimately bothers me is how the PRC managed to convince so much of the rest of world to officially support a One-China Policy and refer to the country as "Chinese Taipei". It's gotta feel pretty lovely to stand up on a podium and accept your Olympic gold medal in your country's deliberately misrepresented name. It's so petty and stupid, but everyone goes along with it because they know China will throw a goddamn pissbaby tantrum otherwise.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

LimburgLimbo posted:

The solution is of course for everyone to use 注音
Personally I'd be all for it. However while IPA is a near-perfect system on a technical level, people who are new to linguistics tend to find it a bit kənfyuzɪŋ.

Grand Fromage posted:

I've literally had this conversation back when I had an ASUS. "Wow, you bought a Chinese computer!" "No, ASUS is Taiwanese."
A bit of irony: I recently went on a date with a Taiwanese woman (straight from Taiwan, this was like her 10th day in the US). At one point I took out my Android phone.
:j: What kind of phone is that??
:v: An HTC One.
:j: ...
:v: It's a Taiwanese company!
:j: Why don't you have an iPhone?
:v: I... wanted one of these instead, I guess.
:j: [high levels of confusion]

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Vesi posted:

The weirdest job belongs to my buddy who's the CEO of the China branch of a Utah based (Mormon owned) company, he used to be a bartender, a super affable guy, heavy drinker and not a Mormon. He basically flies around the country and drinks with the suppliers and business partners while his staff handles the negotiations. They tried that first with a Mormon boss but couldn't get anything done because the Chinese didn't trust anyone who doesn't drink.

To be fair, neither do I.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Volcott posted:

I hope he and the crazy Mongolian girl run away together.

The Mongolian girl sounds pretty terrible. Chaoshan girl at least sounds salvageable.

When it comes to the standard "5000 years of cultural history" bullshit, has anyone tried bringing up an analogy to the Ship of Theseus? The situation always kind of reminded me of that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship_of_Theseus

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
From what I could tell while I was there, homelessness in China kind of blends into the general concept of "poor people" of which there are many, and nobody cares about them. Old plastic bottle lady might sleep in the streets, or maybe she has some crappy little apartment to retreat to. The assholes walking around and snatching toilet paper, manhole covers, and generally anything intended for public use that isn't literally nailed down could just be normal people with working class jobs, or anyone's grandparents.

The government sure as hell isn't going to do any kind of honest survey on the issue, and it's not exactly something one can accurately eyeball. The numbers probably aren't good, though.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Haier posted:

By 2020 in the machine elf reality:

Buy this at the local herbal medicine shop with the billions of bottles full of old roots and leaves:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.13.XXi3Ek&id=544748441361&ns=1&abbucket=10#detail

Combine it with this, preferably purchased at another medicine shop:
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.3.lfyPjG&id=545540912088&ns=1&abbucket=10#detail

Grind up. Measure. Boil for a bit separately in hot water. Strain. Drink the harmala first, wait 30 minutes, and then drink acacia. Lay down and have your ego death legally, because you just made Formosahuasca (Best China ayahuasca drink).

https://www.dmt-nexus.me/forum/default.aspx?g=posts&t=12190

Can someone please make this as TCM for an aunty? At least the acacia alone when brewed will give someone a trip.

Would going on a DMT in your room in a Chinese megacity throw you into some sort of hellish deadzone for 30 minutes?

And here people are saying TCM is all superstition and placebo.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I don't want to see the suit. Don't post it.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

BONGHITZ posted:

lol nice marketing

Dude have you been hitting the bong

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/08/top-china-schools-test-parents-iq-ancestors-grades-obesity-enrollment/

quote:

Parents seeking a coveted place for their children at top Chinese schools are being forced to take tests, prove their ancestor’s academic credentials and even show they are not fat.

At least two private schools in Shanghai, China’s richest and most modern city, have been admonished by authorities for testing parents and carrying out intrusive surveys, while applicants at a third school complained about a ‘fat parent’ criteria.

“They check parent’s body shapes,” a parent applying to Shanghai’s Qibao Foreign Language School bemoaned, according to a screenshot of social media published by thepaper.cn.

“The reason is that fat parents display poor self-management skills.”

Education officials rebuked Qingpu World Foreign Language School and the nearby Yangpu Primary School for probing applicants’ family histories and setting logic tests for parents.

China’s increasingly wealthy generation of parents often take desperate measures to give their children a good education in the hope that their offspring will land a place at a prestigious foreign university.

Although the one-child policy was abolished in January 2016, many families chose to have one offspring for cultural reasons and because of busy lifestyles.

That child will often be the sole breadwinner in later life.

Shanghai Municipal Education Commission said Qingpu and Yangpu schools had been forced to “apologise in public” and to “cut down enrollment plans next year,” without elaborating.

Private Shanghai primary schools sanctioned after setting IQ tests for students' parents during enrollment.

Qingpu apologised on its website, adding that “negative social impacts were caused because of our ignorance of regulatory requirements.”

Yangpu, meanwhile, said its tests were not related to the enrollment procedure, but were aimed at “relaxing” parents.

The “graphics-based reasoning” was said to be too difficult for most of the test-takers.

An official at Qibao school told The Telegraph that authorities had ordered the school to conduct a “deep investigation”.

The man, who did not want to be named, said allegations were based on a “rumour”, but refused to deny the school tested parents, saying: “We don’t take foreign media interviews.”

Qingpu charges 30,000 yuan (£3,360) a term for six-year-olds entering the school, while Yangpu charges 11,000 yuan (£1,230) and Qibao 12,500 yuan (£1,400).

While many parents took to social media to complain about the strict enrolment procedures, some were less critical.

“Just like some schools in other countries require parents to be Christian, I think the requirements from these private schools are reasonable,” a mother who is hoping to enroll her daughter at the one of the schools told the Global Times newspaper.

China has a catchment area system for public schools, and competition for places has seen desperate parents splurge on extremely poor quality property near elite schools.

The Telegraph last year reported on an insect-ridden alleyway in Beijing being sold for a price similar to plush homes in Kensington and Chelsea because of the desirable catchment area.

Private schools – which make up about six per cent of enrolments at Shanghai primary schools - accept students on the basis of interviews and are not permitted to test applicants.

Reports in March said a private school in the southern city of Guangzhou would only enroll students whose parents achieved college degrees or above.

Agreed

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I missed hot pot chat but I will weigh in nevertheless.

The only time I had hot pot in China it was Mongolian style. I think it was alright but to be honest I can't remember much about the food quality because we were getting completely wasted on baijiu. I drunkenly sang The Star Spangled Banner for everyone and they loved it, then I barfed in the restroom.

Hot pot here in LA county can be a mixed bag. There are lots of bad ones, but also good ones. It is complicated, I guess. But like others have said, the main point is to sit around and hang out with your friends while you eat and drink. What the gently caress is wrong with you if you don't like that?

You seem hyperfocused on the food itself and not the company around you, Haier. Slow down a bit. Have a rest.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

To be fair, they were moderately challenging IQ test style questions. My parents would probably have a hard time too.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Outrail posted:

Ok what's the answer? I'm usually pretty good at pattern recognition but I can't see it.

If we treat left and middle as inputs, and right as the output, it's a logical xor (exclusive-or). If they're both missing a line, then it stays missing. If they both have the same line, it gets deleted. So the answer is 4.

Don't feel bad about finding it difficult. The questions were probably just stolen from a MENSA test or something and then given out here to gain massive face. This school is asking questions that even I, the parent, don't understand; must be a good [elementary] school!

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Efexeye posted:

it's telling how there are so few 'after' pictures of the deliciously-carpaccio-seeming meat actually cooked. it's waterlogged, skinny sliced beef with all the fat rendered out. the plate i posted? each piece results in one bite.

the promise is

the reality is

You shouldn't just dump them all in together. They get overcooked that way. You are supposed to take them one at a time and swish them around until they are just barely cooked, then dip them in sauce and eat with some rice.

Efexeye posted:

at least at the one i ate at, you got individual pots of water, they said health code wouldn't allow one big pot for everyone to marinate their chopsticks and poo poo in, maybe that's the difference
They are probably lying about this. Some places give individual pots, others have people share in groups of 2 - 4, and some even have a big, round table with one big pot for up to like 12 people. I've been to all of these types in California. It's just the style that restaurant chooses.

bring back old gbs posted:

idk what the hell i thought it was now. I honestly thought it was a cast iron pan over a heat source with a suuuuuper shallow layer of oil and u barely touch the meat to the oil to cook it, just for like a second.

but the google image pics are like:

and u soak the stuff in it and it doesnt even look hot enough to cook ur stuff, though im sure it is
There's a version of sukiyaki that's like that, with the thin layer of oil that you carefully cook the meat on. I've never seen it in the US, though.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
5000 year history of getting your rear end kicked and crying about it

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I think too many people in this thread had bad experiences with Sichuan style hotpot.

Taiwan has its own style of hotpot, do you know?

It's actually quite different. More of a premade soup than the do-it-yourself thing that's been posted here. Also it can be legit spicy, not bullshit Chinese ma la spicy. I'm pretty tough when it comes to spicy food but at the Taiwanese hotpot place near me even the medium level is difficult.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I don't want to talk about hotpot anymore, and I think everyone else should stop too.

Edit:

BONGHITZ posted:

Do you drink the boiling water?

Don't really want to talk about this but for some of them you wait until the end and you spoon a bunch into your bowl and wait for it to cool. With other types you just don't drink it because it will taste like some kind of insane medicinal poo poo or it will just be oil.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 11, 2017

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Do you guys remember how back in the 70s and 80s people thought pro wrestling was real? Traditional martial arts is China's WWE and over there it is still the 80s.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Speaking of Youtubers, does anyone here follow serpentza? He's a [white] South African guy who lives in China and does commentary on his cultural observations there. He doesn't go full china.jpg mode, but most of what he says is pretty critical, usually in regards to the rudeness, callousness, and laziness among the general populace. I always expect the comments section to be full of massive butthurt and threats, but I guess the mainlanders just haven't been alerted to him yet. I feel like it's only a matter of time and then he's going to have to go into hiding.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Wait, so what exactly was China demanding here? It sounds like it was just some meaningless recognition/face thing, which is why I'm surprised the Europeans took such a hard stance against it, as opposed to just shrugging their shoulders and giving them what they want in exchange for meaningful action.

Off topic: If i'm stopped at an intersection and the light turns green, I take off with high acceleration leaving the other drivers in the dust, only to get stopped at the next red light and watch as all the slow movers gradually catch up to me and we all have to wait together again, is that what loss of face feels like?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

No, you have gained many face since you got away first, what happens after is irrelevant. China is basically one giant game of last one to ... is gay.

Oh ok, sweet.

ocrumsprug posted:

Do you think a joint EU-Chinese statement condemning Trump's Paris withdrawal is "meaningful"?

Maybe a little bit? Not sure what this has to do with my question though.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Mods please ban little kid walking/eating discussion, and also hotpot discussion I guess.

Edit:

VideoTapir posted:

What about little kids eating hotpot?

Or eating little kids as hotpot?

No!

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 5, 2017

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
When will China undergo its hairless Renaissance?

2020?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
At least they didn't hit the big tank of fire

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Stringent posted:

Willing to bet the driver in the car died pointing at the truck screaming this was the truck drivers fault.

A warrior's death.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Xerxes17 posted:

Sinofield.

"He's a uighur Jerry! A uighur!"

Not that there's anything wrong with that

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Speaking of STEM majors, I've always wondered, wouldn't it be especially challenging to learn to code in popular high-level programming languages as someone who doesn't speak English, specifically a language like Chinese that is completely etymologically removed from English? All of the foundational class names, methods, keywords, etc. are English words or combinations of English words, and even if you want to write new code using your own native language, you can't really do that if your language doesn't use the Latin alphabet. I guess you could make an attempt at using Pinyin but without the tone marks that would be pretty terrible.

Do Chinese programmers just end up learning a weird sort of pseudo-English lexicon consisting of programming terms? Is having that as a base enough to extrapolate out into meaningful names for things when they're writing their own code? I feel like I should know this because I work for an international software company that has its own Chinese (and Japanese) employees, but hardly any of our coding is done by them, and when it is they just follow our own conventions. I'm curious, and a little scared, to see what an all-Chinese software company creates in C# or Java.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do you not have Android/Apple pay in America? I just hold up my phone to the card reader and it beeps and it's done.

We have it but cashiers don't refuse cash and cards.

And NYT reporters don't rub one out every time they see a person here pay for something with their phone.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

bamhand posted:

Went to New Orleans recently and it was basically the same thing but with white tourists. Asians don't visit New Orleans for some reason.
The local populace probably scares the poo poo out of them.

Baronjutter posted:

Yep, it's not a uniquely chinese mindset for tourists.
It's true that clueless tourists of all nationalities flock to dumb tourist traps just because it's what they heard about back at home or saw in a brochure, but Chinese people seem to be attracted to anything and everything popular/crowded, regardless of whether or not they're traveling abroad. I saw the locals doing it when I visited China, and they do it here too (I live in an area of California that has a very high % of Chinese immigrants). There will be a line up of essentially identical restaurants and one of them will have a giant crowd of people waiting an hour+ to get in while the others sit there almost empty. The crowded restaurant typically isn't even "famous", it just has a drat crowd outside so that means it's good. I don't know why people fail to see the feedback effect in place here, but it's pretty ridiculous.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jun 9, 2017

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2017/06/13/532788702/panama-cuts-ties-with-taiwan-opts-to-support-china-instead

quote:

Panama Cuts Ties With Taiwan, Opts To Support China Instead

Panama's minister of foreign affairs, Isabel de Saint Malo de Alvarado, shakes hands with China's foreign minister, Wang Yi, during a joint press briefing Tuesday in Beijing.

Panama has announced that it is cutting ties with Taiwan and instead establishing relations with China. The shift is a major win for China as it seeks to isolate Taiwan, which now has diplomatic relations with just 20 countries.

China and Panama announced the move in a joint statement, saying it was in the "interest and wishes of both peoples." The two countries agreed to exchange ambassadors.

"The Government of the Republic of Panama recognizes that there is only one China in the world, the Government of the People's Republic of China is the only legitimate government representing all of China, and Taiwan is an inalienable part of the Chinese territory," the statement reads.

"Eleven of the 20 countries left that recognize Taiwan are in Latin America and the Caribbean," NPR's Carrie Kahn reported. Of the countries that still have ties, Panama has the largest economy.

The Panama Canal is a crucial waterway for trade. NPR's Anthony Kuhn reports from Beijing that Panama "is emerging as a hub for China to ship its goods to South America, and Beijing has invested millions of dollars in infrastructure around the Panama Canal."

China considers Taiwan a breakaway territory, and relations between Beijing and Taipei have recently grown more tense. "Beijing does not trust Taiwan's President Tsai Ing-wen, whose party has traditionally taken a pro-independence stance," Anthony says, "so it has used investment and other incentives to lure away Taiwan's diplomatic partners."

Taiwan is slamming the shift in ties. Minister of Foreign Affairs David Lee called it "most unfriendly" and said that Panama had been deceitful "until the last moment," according to the Taipei Times.

Taiwan "strongly protests and condemns Beijing for luring Panama to switch diplomatic ties, squeezing Taiwan's space in the international community and hurting Taiwanese feelings," Lee said.

Other countries in the region with ties to Taiwan have issued little response. Guatemala declined to comment, Reuters reported. An official from Honduras, speaking on condition of anonymity, told the news service that the country intended to maintain ties.

Ross Feingold, a senior adviser at D.C. International Advisory, tells The New York Times that Panama was one of Taiwan's most important allies – and now, "it is very possible that the remaining countries will switch."

I guess Best China also gets its feelings hurt from time to time.

This does really suck, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Do people in China generally not gently caress with people in expensive cars, fearing possible high-up government/crime connections?

• Locked thread