Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Bajaj posted:

Fifth rule: Pretending you don't speak English does work pretty well. Just babble in nonsense French and they'll go away.

This is really some of the best advice in life just generally speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Jeoh posted:

eh he lasted for like 4 years before deng kicked him the gently caress out

literally everything deng did to prevent this maoist bullshit is being reverted, fun times

Shoulda listened to Zhao Ziyang idiots.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Cry Havoc posted:

are you saying that sex tourism is generational

Yeah they were really angling to exploit that downtrodden former member of a monarchy.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

EasternBronze posted:

The same people and their families run japan to this very day.

30's/40's Japan was basically an extremely elaborate military junta, you are I suppose telling us Japan is currently run by the army? Or just making vague farts out of your mouth?

Pirate Radar posted:

When I was working in Bangkok, one of the normally very upbeat secretaries at the school was talking about Burmese laborers working in Thailand, how there are lots of them in industries like construction and fishing, and how they often get treated poorly, paid less, beaten by their employers, etc and capped it off with a 100% sincere “and they deserve it, because they burned Ayutthaya!

I know it’s going to come across differently for different cultures, but the siege of Ayutthaya happened in 1767, making that grudge older than my entire country

Welcome to the Old World! :dance:

Grape fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 6, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

So get this... there's one guy above everything in charge ....until he dies! How about THEM apples!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

lol show this to the drooling idiots in the Xi Jiping thread from a week ago who were extolling the virtues of the Chinese authoritarian model.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Bajaj posted:

Sean Penn thinks this thread should be closed down, I think:

Why do people always try to act like the ancient Greeks started a western versus orient pattern that corresponds to modern ones.
The ancient Greeks didn't just think the east were barbarians, they thought literally everyone around them in every single direction was a barbarian.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Savage For The Winjun posted:

current greeks believe this as well

and all the ones in between too

This is also true lol.

Grand Fromage posted:

Because they did. You're right that they thought everyone who didn't speak Greek was a barbarian, but the wars with Persia set up a very explicit east vs west thing that did not exist prior to that. Greeks start to think of Europe as its own thing, different from the east.

There was no Europe back then in the cultural or social sense. Ancient Greeks were certainly not lumping themselves in with Thracians and Illyrians, and hell barely even Macedonians. And barely had awareness of what lied beyond that and any given shore area along the Medd.
Greeks were thinking of themselves as that distinct entity.

quote:

The Romans pick this up from them later and run with it and it's been going ever since.

What aspects exactly?

Grape fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 13, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Grand Fromage posted:

Easterners are followers. They do not value liberty, slaves to strongmen and despots. They are weak and effeminate, not true men. Mystical and irrational. Place little value on life. Weird sex poo poo.

This is basically more or less the profile any place gives Them Bastards and Those Savages. The weak and effeminate thing applying to an enemy perceived as more elitist/domesticated than people, and you swap it out for "violent savage ape people" for when you perceive the other as less sophisticated than your people.

My biggest problem with all this though is how it's taking ancient slapfighting disses between civilizations and projecting the post-colonial lens on it, the modern meaning of Orientalism.
There's huge differences between the contexts of these things. And of course I'm always hella suspicious of anything talking about modern conceptions of Europe and Asia in any times before 1000 AD or so.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

hakimashou posted:

I dunno if it was Alexander the Great or the Romans but pretty much all western history since then has been trying to relive the glory days, its deep in our cultural DNA.

Most of Europe was tribal guys in face paint worshipping tree gods and Odin and stuff, Rome was a Mediterranean Empire, and Greece even today is half Middle Eastern in culture.
It's just around the Renaissance on that Western Europe's internal narrative has gobbled both those things up and tied it to themselves through some half true connections and so on. Italy can get away with more of that, but yeah like ok England, Germany, you are truly heirs of Athens! Sure thang duder!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

WarpedNaba posted:

We're still waiting on Taco Bell to come to NZ. Mexican food here is kinda crap, but it's expensive crap. Bring on the cheap stuff!

Taco Bell is Mexican is the same sense that Pizza Hut is Italian. "Cheap" is too kind a word here.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Wizchine posted:

Culture appropriation is the dumbest thing ever to be concerned about. Can we go back to globalization as an aspiration, please?

Nah it's a real concern.... with certain groups.
Like really marginalized minorities whose culture is barely breathing under the weight of the majority one (natives), and those with really long lovely histories of being co-opted, disrespected, and made into horribly racist satires (black americans).

Applying that to Chinese stuff is just lol.

The Great Autismo! posted:

if I learned anything from The Great Race Space, it is that whatever white people are doing is bad, so uh, gently caress them, whatever it is recently that they've done

You have an actual history of being a clueless schmuck on this sort of thing. :holy:

Grape fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 2, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The largest concentration camp in the world is Gaza and sorry if I'm laughing a bit at Americans talking poo poo about prisons in other countries, especially when you support Turkey, Saudi Arabia and a host of others who imprison people for basically no reason at all lol

Are you attempting a parody of stupid whataboutism, or are you actually this stupid.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I think the Vietnamese are onto something with their "totally forget about the Vietnam War in favor of remembering the more recent time China hosed them over" thing.

More like, forget about that one time the Americans popped over, and remember all of history where China was loving with them.

It's that thing where post-colonial studies types get Eurocentric in a whole new way and assume surely the time the West hosed with X place is the end all be all moment of a given countries history. When ok maybe, but they might also be really caught up on the centuries or millennia where their neighbor was doing the same poo poo?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Uh no that's pretty much the only totally true thing in there.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Modest Mao posted:

yasss save me white man from my passive aggressive culture

Imagine going to white people for advice on how not to be passive aggressive, just imagine that kind of desperation.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pro PRC Laowai posted:

Sure, it’s whataboutism, but it’s true.

Whataboutism is retarded not because it's false, but because it's off topic irrelevance you ding dong.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

nickmeister posted:

Well, america is well on it's way to full on 3rd world status. Maybe they'll go easy on us then haha

America is doing some kind of experiment where the blue states have to march ahead on their own, while the red states are yes turning increasingly into capitalist versions of the late east bloc.
We're gonna be living in a land of differing living standards that will make our present ones look positively minor. Which will make us kind of like a BRIC country I guess yeah.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

oohhboy posted:

DnD is hot garbage. It's full of screaming cannibals running around on fire trying to get on the one high horse between them. I hate it more every time it leaks.

You have people defending ethnic cleansing, institutional oppression, murder, unmolested while you get probed for making a gaff. I had a 3 page derail when I used "unfortunate" in regards to someone's death. Apparently this wasn't enough Press X to Pay Respects and when I asked them what I should have said instead I never got an answer. Shortly after that I got out, mostly, with the odd incursions, each as foolish as the last.

Healthy people poo poo talk their own country and have a laugh. We gently caress sheep here but if you are looking for a more polygynous relationship go with cows as they out number sheep by a fair margin.

D&D threads vary in quality real widely. Unfortunately the China thread is one of the really bad ones yeah.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

As like a story idea, an Anglophone country becoming a Chinese vassal state is fascinating.

I'm glad nothing of real life value will be lost with the experiment being carried out on Australia.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

oohhboy posted:

The complaints of that picture's nothing burger racism is so drat overblown that the complaints worse than the picture.

lol are you loving kidding me

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

everyone is getting a great view into how other first world countries view the world

I'm not commenting on if either one is correct or not.

lol oh yes you are

You're the other guy who constantly trips and falls into racism while making Three Stooges noises itt.

quote:

just there was a ton of moral outrage in the usa about the cartoons. the moral outrage in Australia and NZ received massive eye rolls.

I want everyone to remember you wrote this sentence the next time the thread rightly laughs at mainland Chinese talking dumb crap about "Chinese are different from the West, we have no racism/classism/whatever."

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

racism is bad and I thought the cartoon is bad, if you're curious as to my views on it

that's what I have to say about that

Australians rolling their eyes at the cartoon is a condemnation of Australia, not a mere cultural difference between them and the US/Canada.
lol talking about a country where even I would go from "generic white dude" to "shifty half-wog".

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Kharnifex posted:

Pretty much all of them, and I've been Backstage at fat pizza live and shook Nick giannopopopoplolopopdopolous and mimos hands

I said this in C-Spam but getting Greeks of all people down to the level of shucking and jiving requires (no pun intended) Herculean levels of racism.
These are the people who literally invented the word "barbarian" for others, and basically continue to act exactly like that is the case.
But the proud bogans of Australia have what it takes to destroy even that lol.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

actually I LOVE having to mudfight for the amusement of convict-wasps with other exotic-whites in the thunder dome THANK YOU very MUCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

peanut posted:

Wear the Phillipine flag and see who gets butthurt about Taiwan anyway

You're thinking of the old Burma flag I think?

• Locked thread