Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Worthleast posted:

Post the sweetest Church music you got. Christian Rock is not Church music, for it is neither good Christianity, nor good rock.

Vestments and architecture are a bonus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y9yM53TowA

Felt I had to quote this because I got to sing it in a secular choir and it made me feel really good and tingly about *getting* where it is coming from. Not easy to convince my mostly atheist, protestant and jewish choirmates of its beauty though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Bel_Canto posted:

Lauridsen owns all the time always. His setting of O Nata Lux remains my single favorite setting of that poem/hymn ever. But no list of awesome sacred music would be complete without Tallis's If Ye Love Me, perhaps the most beloved piece in all of English polyphony.

Lauridsen's nice, but I always get the shivers for Ola Gjeilo's Sunrise Mass. This movement in particular, The City, is really nice. I guess the only real criticism i have is that he made a creed sound like a movie soundtrack.

Going to give Tallis a listen though, thanks!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Pellisworth posted:

Does this third page of the thread proceed from both the first and second, or only from the first?

From the first, through the second, is my understanding. The three are not the same.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Alright Liturgical thread, here's my serious situation and resultant question for y'all. Apologies if it sounds too E/N.

I'm a bad Catholic. I say I'm a bad Catholic because I don't go to church every sunday (the choir takes a break during the summer -I wish they didn't) and don't pray the rosary every day like I promised my grandfather I would. I believe, though. I have faith, insofar as I am reasonably certain God is quite real and the saints are very important to our lives. I try to live my life according to the rules of the Church, as best I can at least -sometimes you forget not to eat fish on Fridays. Lent is vegetarian and completely sober from Ash Wednesday until Easter Morning.

And yet, I can't shake the feeling that somehow I am doing things wrong. I went to confession once, and asked the priest about this. He said something along the lines that if there was nothing I could pinpoint it couldn't be so bad. I have my doubts, but still -guilt is a good emotion, it gives you the impetus to fix things. And now here is the crux of my problems:

My life sucks. I lost my job about a year ago and haven't found work yet. I've put in an effort to find work but each day becomes harder. I live with my folks, who feed me and are generally good to me. If I'm lucky, I can scrape enough money together to buy a bottle of wine or some rye and drink, at which point I will usually recite a few decades of the rosary, crawl into bed and pass out. Over the last two years or so, a thought has been bothering me though -the religious life. The notion appeals to me. I know what it entails -sacrifice, discipline, self-denial, abstinence -and it isn't an easy path. Yet it calls to me, I suppose it always has, since I was a kid and I was an altar boy and I would read: the parish priest would call me "Father [Ceciltron]". It sounds mad, but it's always sat there in the back of my head.

But not everything is so easy. Here's where being Catholic is both my problem and the thing I must attend to and conform to (conversion ain't happening).

I have a fiancée. I love her. She's the world to me. I met her when I was teaching abroad and we have stayed together through some incredibly hard situations -thick and thin -even if it means talking on Skype every day and only seeing each other in person once a year. I know that I will marry her if I can, and I will do everything to make that happen. I would love nothing more than to find a job and settle down with her and live in peace. If I were a protestant weirdo I could just marry her and be a """priest""", but such considerations are beyond consideration.

So my question to you guys is as follows: I am torn between two loves - I know I can serve the Lord as a married man or as an unmarried man, I just don't know how to reconcile these things.

How do I assauge my conscience: to serve the faith AND follow my heart?

Can it be done, even?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
That was a much better set of responses than I expected I'd get!

I will definitely concede that I think more about this stuff the more hopeless things get, which is certainly in line with the concept of desolation -which is quite apt term for my mental situation. I think it's also entirely fair to remind me that being a good catholic doesn't necessarily mean praying a lot. I definitely need to disentangle my feelings about it in that respect.

Touching, specifically, on what Thirteen Orphans said: I hadn't considered that. I do understand that God's love can be reflected in the love of a couple, but the questions you asked -"will [my love for her] make me a better person?", struck a chord. I'd say it certainly has. It's taught me a lot about patience and understanding and even shown me that I have a long way to go.

So thanks, gang. You've all given me some really productive things to think about rather than just sitting in the dark worrying all the time.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Tias posted:

Just chiming in to say that drinking yourself to sleep is very unhealthy, and definitely not a good way to get anything but a false connection to the divine.

Getting clean and sober is what got me to feel and understand God in the first place, and if you think faith is wonderful drunk, try it without the juice :)

Hence why I said I was lucky if I could do it! I definitely don't drink more than once a week.

Though I certainly do appreciate the concern.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

rap music posted:

all i know is i have the most trinities

What if I have a copy of Blade 3: Trinity, does that mean I have 9 trinities?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Went to mass this morning with my dad, we sang together in the choir. We're both tenors so our voices blend well, lucky genetics have given us basically the same singing voice. I felt really good about things, about faith, about life, even if things are tough. Church really does help you center your life and find some measure of peace. Definitely not the same mental place I was about a week ago.

I'll get to sing the psalm next week! It'll be Psalm 98.

Sing a new song indeed. :unsmith:

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've heard from several different anecdotal sources that there's one gospel of Jews, one for gentiles, one for Greeks, etc -- it's about conveying the message of Christ in different cultural and historical contexts, and emphasizing things that would be important to that audience, not just to the writer.

Those are the epistles, a collection of letters written to early church communities (traditonally ascribed to have been written) by the Apostle Paul. A few were written by others and included.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

System Metternich posted:

If you don't get goosebumps when listening to Verdi's rendition of Dies Irae I don't know what to tell you

For all of Mozart's Dies Irae's weight and intensity, Verdi's Dies Irae really showcases the sheer madness and terror that the day of wrath holds for the Earth. It's operatic, over the top, and perfect at doing what it does.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

HEY GAL posted:

that's why it's bad, from beethoven to the 20th century music is just self-indulgent. you want something that's over the top without being eeeyuuuck? then lully or charpentier, deromanticism yourself and face to baroque
Luxury and "self-indulgent" grandiosity are acceptable when attempting to glorify the Lord and convey religious messaging! I don't think God's ever worried about being over the top when he appears in blinding flashes of light or blows people's minds with unfathomable majesty -shouldn't our praise reflect that?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Bel_Canto posted:

For Catholics, Christ is present in spirit as He is whenever Christians gather together in HIs name. He's also symbolically present in visual representation, since there's always a crucifix involved. He's symbolically present in the priest as well, who acts in persona Christi during the Liturgy of the Eucharist. Finally and most importantly, of course, He's fully and literally present, with His Body, Blood, Soul, and Divinity, in the Blessed Sacrament. Note that Catholics hold Christ to be fully present under both species of the Eucharist: I have a friend who has celiac disease and therefore can only receive under the form of wine, but we hold that he fully receives the Body of Christ as well when he does so. The same would hold true for somebody who, perhaps because of past struggles with alcohol, only wants to receive under the form of bread: that person would still receive the Blood of Christ, even though Latin Rite Catholics don't practice communion by intinction.

Most churches here only offer communion with a wafer/eucharist-the wine is only taken by the priest. I assume it also covers situations like this.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

HopperUK posted:

I've only ever had Communion wine twice and it was absolutely horrible both times.

Well the blood of christ isn't supposed to taste good, is it? I'm pretty sure my priest uses wine that's turned to vinegar- I used to be able to smell it when i served as an altar boy.

Same goes for the wafers they use for eucharist: the second it touches your tongue the moisture gives it the texture of a horrible gelatinous lump.

Maybe it's intentional?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

System Metternich posted:

Oregon church says: No fat chicks/dudes in or worship team, tyvm. Also no shoes with white soles and you have to speak in tongues and you have to be born again which to me are the two most weird/off-putting requirements altogether. Why the fixation on being born again, does that mean that people who have been members of this particular church since their birth but never had a profound spiritual crisis or whatever can't make it?

e: also their head pastor looks like all European clichés about Americans put together and made flesh:

He's drinking San Pellegrino, to boot, which is filthy Italo-Papist Bubblewater!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Smoking Crow posted:

San Pellegrino tastes like bubbly piss

I like the blood orange one.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I helped run the mixer/sound for a small fundraising thing tonight that was being held at a Unitarian Universalist """"church"""". I don't know which part I disagree with more, Unitarianism or Universalism, but everything about the hall, which resembled a converted aircraft hangar, made me upset on a personal level. I guess I'm intolerant. Or a bigot. Maybe both?

Any of you have HOT TAKES on Unitarian Universalism for me to better understand them, beyond my cursory wiki reading?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Bel_Canto posted:

hey everyone, if i could get some prayers for my brother, that would be really awesome. he just took the really courageous step of checking into an intensive depression treatment program. it looks like it'll do great things for him, but it's also probably not going to be easy.

Depression's a terrifying monster. Good on him. A prayer doesn't hurt either, so a prayer I will offer.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

AmyL posted:

Why would the hall make you so upset? Was it the way they decorated it inside?

Well, yes.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
So its more like a community center then?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Today I felt bad for going to a church that is not that of my parish (I live right on the edge of my rightful parish, but attend a different-language mass than my home parish offers) but the one where I have served as an altar boy, reader, sang in the choir, and felt a member of for more than a decade.

We're all Catholic, darn it! I'm nothing but a hardware store clerk! I'm not supposed to feel bad if I don't recognise the priest of the parish next door! I still feel bad though.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Having a boner in public is deeply shameful. Having a boner in church is terrifying. Doing things with one's boners is generally an upsetting experience with or without a partner. There's a lot of theology to boners.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

SirPhoebos posted:

OTOH, the notion did lead to the very Catholic J.J.R. Tolkein to say that the Elves of Middle Earth never masturbate...and in turn led to one of the most wonderful posts in the history of Something Awful

Holy poo poo this is amazing

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Mo Tzu posted:

just fyi implying that the new testament is happy and nice and the old testament is angry and mean is antisemitic! the old testament god is a god of liberation, of hospitality, of justice. jews do not worship an angry and mean god. and that's really the bridge between testaments; the bible is full of examples where those who are the underclass, those who are oppressed, are exalted by god. whether it's the eunuch who helped rebuild the temple (i think, as a former catholic i have to admit i never read the bible much so i could be getting that detail wrong) or jesus talking about the least of these, god seeks justice and compassion in all things. what we see as "mean" and "angry" is simply a showing of god's sense of justice

though the whole genocide thing and a lot of stories in the bible are also culturally there to help promote national cohesion and colonialism so it kinda complicates things like exodus but i would still say that justice is important in the old testament. tikkun olam didn't come from nowhere, after all

I don't think implying that the old testament is angry and mean is antisemitic. I mean there is the entire fact the thing is a kind of racial-supremacy narrative that, *thank God*, is swept away by the decision to bind the Gentiles to the Jews like the branch of a wild olive tree is joined to a cultivated one. Then again, if looking at the (biblical) actions of Jews regarding non-Jews in the places they're in charge of leaves me with a sour taste, then maybe I'm antisemitic!

I'd also say that there's a big disconnect between Justice and Law in the old testament. The old Testament is a book concerned with laws. These laws aren't terribly just, in and of themselves, and seem (forgive me my audacity here) arbitrary. I'd argue that the New testament, with the Golden Rule, fosters far more Justice than the previous legalistic approach.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Smoking Crow posted:

you can follow jewish customs and be christian it's whatever
It's just real weird more like.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I want a Canticle For Liebowitz movie.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

My dream waifu. :swoon:

Ceciltron fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 25, 2016

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Pellisworth posted:

how does one prepose to a trebuchet, especially a trebuchet aimed at the American right?

e: totally loving serious. My PhD advisor asked to meet with me this week and gave a pep talk about how science education and outreach is key for climate science.

If you're of my generation (going on 30+ year old goons) this is absolutely your number one topic.

poo poo is going to get extremely bad for LGBTQ and other non-"traditional" gender roles. I see Muslim Americans with head scarves every day, my neighborhood is heavily Muslim.

I think all of us US-connected goons should be asking ourselves what we can do for groups without legal protection, particularly transgendered people and illegal immigrants who are (forgive the language) first up against the wall.

Get praying, get out on your streets helping those people most vulnerable.

Well I think one would begin by constructing said trebuchet, asking a priest to bless it, and seeing where it goes.

Pellisworth posted:

gently caress it, I'm a gay dude and very Lutheran

I've stepped carefully around announcing my sexuality in this thread, but it's very relevant now given American politics.

We have a ton of LGBTQ and so on posters, this is a very diverse thread and it's awesome and I'd like it preserved that way.

chalk me up as one of our many non-cis/hetero goons

While I would consider Lutheranity to be a negative mark against a person vis-a-vis their qualities, I have a ton of respect for your coming out in this way. Good luck, and God Bless. Or at least, may God bless you (and any of us) should it be so pleasing to Him (oh man please, Lord, do not smite me for deigning to suggest who to bless or not.)

Rodrigo Diaz posted:

Let now the astrologers, the stargazers,
And the monthly prognosticators
Stand up and save you
From what shall come upon you.
Behold, they shall be as stubble,
The fire shall burn them;
They shall not deliver themselves
From the power of the flame;

A beautiful sentiment.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
On the topic of astrology and divination, I know that, with absolute certainty in a fairly certain sense, "what is not of God is of the Devil". This isn't a question of using reason or logic to discern natural laws, but rather of esoterism and secrecy to uncover hidden meanings. What is less open to us, and plainly visible to all, than the redemptive sacrifice of Christ and the Holy Scripture? The contrast, necessarily, is that anything that is hidden, requiring hidden knowledge, that it may give you an advantage of knowledge or power over others, is necessarily suspect. If there is knowledge worth having, it ought to be shared freely with others, and be easily proven or disproven according to the laws that govern God's Creation.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
If it influences us, and it is not of God, or natural (which falls back under God), logically, it must be evil or of the devil. I'm paraphrasing an argument I remember reading that went like that against divination and magic by fra. Gabriele Amorth, the old chief of the vatican exorcist college(? Or school). The book itself was a fairly terrifying recounting of an exorcist's work.

Evil's scary stuff. It lurks on the edges of practically everything we consider quaint and harmless superstition.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

JcDent posted:

Can God write an RPG system he couldn't explain to the players?

A table for everything. A sheet for every character. Mandatory verisimilitude. Remember Gygax's courtesan table? Well now you will have a thousand sided die for every single npc.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
The Taint, aka the Glans God Made in Anger.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Oh drat I really should get a dispensation from the bishop to get married (to a non christian, in a civil ceremony, prior to them coming to my country and us getting married in a church proper.)

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

The Phlegmatist posted:

Yeah, you'd probably want to talk to a priest in your parish about your plans. There are some differences in Canon Law between councils of bishops (USCCB is a little bit stricter on letting you get married outside your diocese than the actual universal Canon Law, for example) so I can't really know what the situation is there.
The priest okayed it, but I have to get the official okay, I suppose.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I like clericalism and enjoy the Church's structure and authority in these matters.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Calvinist sports betting.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug

Pellisworth posted:

I'm reading my grandpa's gigantic Master Mason Bible, how long until I get a visit from the Illuminati??

It has a lot of cool illustrations and very good reference sections.

Please turn all forbidden materials in to the chancery offices of the bishop for destruction and registration.

Being a freemason is iirc still forbidden for Catholics.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
As much as I want to know, I know that for the good of my eternal soul I must not know. Such a temptation!

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
I'd have thought the drink of christian unity would be wine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Pillbug
Christmas approaches: I heard my dad singing the alleluia from mozart's exsultate iubilate while shaving this morning.

Our church has two masses every sunday and holy day, one in french, one in english.They alternate yearly the midnight mass time slot, so this year we're singing around 10:30.

This is fun because when we get home we enjoy the réveillon, the giving of presents, snacking and drinking to celebrate the birth of Christ instead of on the morning, when everyone is busy bundling into cars to go see family.

Any of y'alls traditions include celebrating Christmas at midnight rather than the morning?

• Locked thread