Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Martout posted:

and that they don't forget to give Iris stuff to do
Or Caitlin. She spent most of last season just hanging around in the background with Jay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Koalas March posted:

Don't do that here. She is not and has never been his sister. He loved her before he even moved in. Joe is basically his father in law not his actual dad. Neither Barry. Iris or Joe have ever considered them siblings jfc.
They were children when he moved in. They basically grew up together as siblings. It's weird and creepy that they chose to make them foster-siblings and romantically involved.

Aphrodite posted:

The Reddit poo poo has to stop.
What?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Koalas March posted:

The majority black fanbase in #WestAllen, #Blerds, and #DatFlash called her Police Brutality Patty for a reason. If you can't see the difference idk what to tell you.
Every time someone asks you for clarification or evidence of a claim you make, your response is basically "Twitter agrees with me, shut up, argument over, here are some gifs you loving racist!"

Koalas March posted:

my goal was to fan a fun thread with positivity
Then maybe you should stop being so negative.

Koalas March posted:

Like there's 2 posters in particular who just refuse to see the other side of anything, who don't accept her importance, who won't acknowledge what this casting means to WoC, especially black women. Even though I've explained it to them.
So? Why is it so important to you that these two random people agree with you?

Koalas March posted:

Ok you think the "incest" thing is weird but when they retcon that completely you still hate it because???
When did they retcon that out? Last I checked they still grew up together basically as siblings.

Koalas March posted:

That pings my racism radar.
Is there anything that doesn't?

Koalas March posted:

Good job! You all showed that little girl begging for representation who's boss!
As far as I'm aware, no one in this thread has made any attempt to contact that girl or her mother to make fun of her or for any other reason.

Koalas March posted:

don't use coded language
What, specifically, are you referring to when you say this? Because it seems like you just mean literally anything negative that anyone says about Iris.

Koalas March posted:

I'm cool with construction criticism
Here's some constructive criticism: You're not cool with constructive criticism. You respond to even the slightest hint of disagreement with outright aggression.

Koalas March posted:

the Error thread
What?

Guy A. Person posted:

I legit appreciate Koalas March a lot for bringing up representation issues since it is important and has increased my appreciation of Iris.
I'd have agreed with this in the last thread. Now I hope Iris dies just to see how much Koalas March would hate that.

kingcom posted:

people thinking this is all super well written
Who thinks that?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Scyantific posted:

Ok this actually looks better than what we got on screen. https://www.instagram.com/p/BLRk3Ckh8fj/

Looks like a new Mortal Kombat character.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Stanfield posted:

The time remnant thing was the worst part for me.

The worst thing about the time remnants was that if you follow the convoluted logic of it, it actually does make sense, but on the surface it just looks like some bullshit excuse to do whatever they want. And they're more than happy to use bullshit excuses most of the time, so expecting the audience to follow their reasoning on this one thing is just weird.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

They introduced the time remnant and "he was traveling in the Speed Force" thing to explain Thawne coming back, didn't they? I remember thinking they were making it more complicated than they had to. Would've been as easy to say that Eddie shot himself in 2014, which erased Thawne from the timeline, but Thawne still had to exist up until that point so he could come back in time and arrive in 2014 so he could impel Eddie to shoot himself.

Hmm. Maybe that's even more complicated. It makes sense in my head.

It's possible to make a logically consistent time travel story, but unless it's very simple it will take a lot of thought to untangle it to the point that it makes sense, so you might as well not bother. Just don't blatantly break the rules you've established and leave enough ambiguity that people can come up with their own explanations for how it all works and you'll have a more satisfying story than if you'd worked it all out perfectly.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

It really doesn't make sense

It does. It's just like Aphrodite said, they called two different things time remnants. The Zoom version makes sense. The Thawne version works on some sort of Back to the Future logic where killing your own ancestor erases you from that point onward but not in the past or something. That version of time remnants makes no sense, it's just jargon to excuse Thawne being able to show up again despite never having been born. But the Zoom one is consistent throughout season two, even when Barry uses it in the last episode.

It's like how there's the two different forms of time travel, the kind where you rewind time and there's only one of you and the kind where you travel back in time and there's the original you and the time traveller you.

And actually I think the "time remnant" aspect of Thawne's thing might work the same way, it's just the way he disappeared when Eddie died that doesn't fit with any other instance of time travel in the show. I don't recall exactly though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't understand how Thawne died right when Eddie did

Yeah, no, that's the Back to the Future style time travel bit. That bit makes no sense.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The Lord Bude posted:

Nah that's like a pleasant spring day. Warm enough that you can sleep comfortably with just a sheet, but not actually hot, so you aren't marinating in your own sweat and waking up choking, unable to breath with a raging headache.
The only reason you should ever set the temperature in your house to 30 is if it's 40 outside.

Spergatory posted:

Likewise, how many times can a semi-trusted friend turn out to secretly be the bad guy? Everyone and their mother called this. The only hope for that storyline now is that Julian doesn't seem to be all that into it. Personally, I'm still holding out hope for a Jekyll/Hyde situation.
I'm thinking it's more like Buffy season 5 Ben/Glory situation, where he knows he turns into Alchemy, but not willingly, and he'd like to stop Alchemy but doesn't want to put himself in danger.

shades of eternity posted:

So when does snart return so leonard and kaitlyn can compete for the guiness book of records for the most ice related puns in one show? :D
Get Arnold Schwarzenegger to reprise his role as Mr Freeze and you'd have the best episode of television ever made.

MiddleOne posted:

The Killer Frost diatribe was the worst written villain turn I have ever seen.
At least they've given her something to do this season other than hang around in the background with fake Jay.

8one6 posted:

Post-Flashpoint do they still have Black Siren locked up in the no-lunch supermax?
They should copy Scream Queens and let her out to be an adviser to the team. It wouldn't be any dumber than their usual plans.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Zebulon posted:

To be fair he kind of has a point when everyone starts playing the Lets Lie About poo poo To Wally game to ~protect him~ from everything.
This is the dumbest thing. You've got potentially world-ending problems and an additional speedster to help but you're going to tell him he can't help because he might get hurt? You're going to feel really dumb when it turns out that his help might have saved the day and now the dominators/Savitar kills everyone (including him).

Mooseontheloose posted:

The Legends crew is being reaalllllly hypocritical here.
"Hey, you can't gently caress up time! That's our thing! Ruin your friends' lives some other way!"

AbsolutelySane posted:

You know, they probably should have grabbed Jessie and useful Wells while they were at it, too.
Also J'ohn J'ones, Mon-El, James, Vixen, Vixen, Jay, Rag Man, Malcolm Merlyn and Nate. And anyone else I've forgotten. I know why they didn't, you just can't fit that many characters into an episode, but from the characters' perspective it makes no sense to not have all hands on deck for this.

lotus circle posted:

I'm sure the writing will gradually have Cisco and Barry reconcile, but Cisco has good reasons to feel angry.
It makes sense, but that doesn't make it good TV.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Them ganging up on this one sort-of super-powered woman was a bit over the top, but it was pretty awesome.

ComposerGuy posted:

Kara and Barry's scene just reminded me that in a perfect world they would just be on the same show.
I was thinking the same exact thing. They are so good together.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Gluten Freeman posted:

I don't hate melodrama as much as some people here do
I love melodrama. I hate this bullshit where it should be melodrama but they want you to take it seriously. If you want to do melodrama, just do it, don't hedge your bets by half-arsing it.

Spergatory posted:

Just wanted to say that I'm liking Savitar a lot more than Zoom right now. He's not a loving bonkers nutcase idiot screwing with people for lulz, his identity isn't some big mystery, he has a clear agenda and a reason for holding a grudge and, while obviously very powerful, also has a HUGE limiting factor preventing him from carrying out said agenda. He makes sense, in other words. I like it when baddies make sense.
I'd prefer it if he weren't the same as Reverse Flash but without the secret identity (which was pretty much the entire reason Reverse Flash was good). He's some guy from the future; we don't know him, we don't care about him, it doesn't matter if we learn his identity or not because no one's going to know him anyway. He's just a guy who's faster than Barry and hates him for unspecified but presumably plausible reasons. There's nothing there to care about.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Phylodox posted:

You want melodrama, Gotham's got your fix. There's a show that dares you to take it seriously.

I love Gotham. I don't follow the Gotham thread here because people on these forums loving hate it for some reason, but it's the best.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Tree Dude posted:

So knocking her over means he wins? She knocked him over like 4 times!
Yeah, that was really dumb. What part of "to the death" did you not understand? If you don't kill her (or at least incapacitate her) she's just going to get up and keep trying to kill you. Or not, I guess, because she also didn't understand what "to the death" means. Which fits with them going on about how she's never been beaten. Well, obviously! If you lose a fight to the death then you don't get a second chance!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

GobiasIndustries posted:

Grodd love Caitlin. Grodd no read Caitlin's mind. :shrug:
Should have been able to read Barry's and know he wasn't dead though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

nooneofconsequence posted:

Barry no how could you kill someone. :ohdear:
It's really weird how no one is acknowledging that Barry has already killed people.

Rocksicles posted:

Cisco, you smooth motherfucker.
I thought he was being kind of creepy. Especially in the context of the friend zone / red pill stuff he was saying at the start.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Otherwise the joke would be "its hilarious that Oliver is a serial killer when Barry always manages to magically save the day without killing anyone."
Except that Barry pretty much should be able to avoid killing people, whereas Ollie's power is "shoots arrows", which is hard to do non-lethally.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

No he definitely did it on purpose. He said something first and Wally interpreted it as "Don't worry we will visit you a lot" and then Harry tried again and Wally took the bait.
Yeah, that's how I saw it too.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Knormal posted:

I think there was some line in one of the early episodes this season that metas are confined in some prison now (Blackgate? Iron Heights? one of the standard DC names), so presumably they're not in the basement anymore. Hell, maybe they even actually got a trial! But yeah I guess it's never been clearly defined if that was just from some point on, or if they transferred them all there, or what.
I think that was actually last season. I remember them still locking people up in their own private prison even after the authorities gained the ability to deal with metas. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Of course she's also from a parallel universe so her rights probably aren't technically being violated.
I don't think it's legal to hold people prisoner just because they happen to be foreign.

Rhyno posted:

She got sprung and was on Arrow a few weeks ago.
And then she was recaptured and sent back, wasn't she?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Sir Potato posted:

From the last time we saw Savitar it seemed like he extraordinarily outclassed Barry in terms of speed and now Barry's able to throw haymakers without Savitar seeing that coming?
Well, he's in the real world now. Maybe he was only that fast because he was in the speed force?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Avalerion posted:

Is asking the father for permission to marry still a thing? Made Joe come of a bit creepy.

Yeah, that was really weird. When he asked why Barry didn't do it, I expected the answer to just be "because it's 2017".

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm pretty sure there's good pizza in Venice. I don't think the entire city of Venice is conspiring to only eat bad pizza forever as some weird conspiracy to trick foreigners into eating bad pizza too.
Well, if you're making that argument, Central City probably has some good pizza places too. :shrug:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Space Crabs posted:

That kinda falls apart a little since Barry was going to throw himself in there. What exactly was his plan there?
His plan was "I suffer for eternity, Wally saves Iris, everyone else gets to be happy and I get to be miserable like I deserve because I hate myself."

Guy A. Person posted:

It's all about sacrifice (Eddie, Ronnie and Snart) and not letting others take your burden etc. I think it's going to lead up to Barry sacrificing himself to save Iris, and that's why he chose to break up with her, because he's made up his mind that he is going to do that. Then that will be the big season cliffhanger until he is resurrected somehow within the first few episodes of next season.
I'm guessing he ends up not dying, but I think you're definitely right that that's his plan.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

lotus circle posted:

Gotta say wasn't a big fan of this episode. For a hyped "musical" I think there were only a total of 4 songs.

GobiasIndustries posted:

That was a real poo poo musical episode :(

Senerio posted:

I liked it, personally.
I'd say it was a good episode of The Flash, but it was a bad musical episode.

Oracle posted:

It was no Buffy
Or Scrubs or Daria or Batman the Brave and the Bold, or even Supernatural.

howe_sam posted:

The song Barry sang at the end was also an original
Well, that was a wasted effort, because you really couldn't tell. I assumed it was just an existing song that I wasn't familiar with.

bull3964 posted:

The ADR with Barry's song at the end was really really bad. The sound mix was completely and totally devoid of any sense of being IN the scene. Terrible sound mixing that takes you right out of the moment, kind of ruined any emotional impact.
I actually thought it might not be him singing it.

BrianWilly posted:

And gently caress it, I loved that Super Friends song.
Easily the best part of the episode.

Slamhound posted:

I was really expecting Music Meister to reveal he was Mxyzptlk.
:same:

hamsystem posted:

Technical choppiness aside, I really liked this episode. It probably helps that Gustin and Benoist are adorable together and I wish they'd crossover more.
The crossover episodes they've done have been way better than the average for either show.

Phylodox posted:

They should have made this the multi-night, show-spanning event.
Definitely. But with all original songs.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

Aside from the Killer Frost stuff, which is dragging on somewhat painfully long, the only storyline which Caitlin has really had in the almost 3 seasons has basically been doomed romances.

Longbaugh01 posted:

Honestly, anything having to do with romantic relationships on this show has been bad, but focusing on Caitlin and Cisco specifically, you see how much of a dumpster fire it's been. I think this is what happens when you're somehow mandated to cram these things into a show despite it being inorganic. The only relationship on the show that so far hasn't been somehow annoying is Joe's, and even then I don't understand the necessity for it outside of "Let's give Joe a girlfriend!" and "We need more relationship stuff!"
I think the problem is that they're trying to do too much at once. If they want it to be a soap opera with super heroes, they need to focus on the relationships and have the super hero stuff basically just be little monster of the week stories that happen around the relationship drama. But if they want it to be an action adventure, which is the focus they're mostly going with now, then they don't have room to develop the relationship drama. There's time to focus on one character's relationships, not everyone's, and that means you need to cut back on the drama for everyone but the protagonist. Cisco and Caitlin aren't the focus of the show, so their relationships can't be the focus of the show, so the drama is always going to feel forced and unnecessary.

Basically, they need to simplify everyone's relationships except Barry's, but instead of that they just try to tell complex stories in much less time than they need and then end up throwing them away when they start getting in the way of the main plot. Also, they have absolutely no idea what Caitlin is for. Like, they need her to be the team's doctor, but outside her few seconds per episode of medical techno-babble they don't have anything for her to do.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

kjetting posted:

I long or the days before time travel and the speed force.
Those were both in season one though. :confused:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

kjetting posted:

Parallel to this we get a reveal of Harry getting out of the wheel chair, having Gideon show him the future newspaper, that he has the yellow mask, that he needs some apparatus to give him energy. Back then, even if he turned out to be the killer of Barrys mom, Wells was already an adult when it happened and there would be no reason to think he would have to be from the future (except the future newspaper being a clear hint).
I don't remember exactly but wasn't the future newspaper shown pretty early on? That's a pretty clear sign of time travel, as is Gideon. And even if we weren't aware of the time travel from day one, it was an integral part of the season's main plot, so it was there from the beginning. As for the speed force, I'm pretty sure it was mentioned relatively early on as well even if the characters hadn't yet discovered that it exists as a sort of place you can go to and an intelligent entity.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

They kinda blew their load on villains in season one and two so unless we keep going back to the same ones we really don't have many left to see (and they killed a lot of them). Which is why the show needs less episodes.

Or to just not kill its villains. Recurring villains are fine, they're only a problem if your heroes can't manage to stop anyone without killing them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Space Crabs posted:

Also Emo Barry was dumb precisely because of the show's concept of time travel. He should have tried to change the past. He could have captured savitar before he ever killed Iris, and erased his timeline.
It would be neat if travelling to the future erased you from the intervening time. Like, you start in 2017 and go to 2024 and when you arrive it turns out you've been missing for 7 years. So you can only travel to a sort of temporary future that just exists because of your own time travelling.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dammit, I wanted to post that. :argh:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Season one was really dumb but took itself really seriously and absolutely nothing about it worked at all. Season two realised it was dumb and stopped fighting it. Depending on what you want from a TV show, you may or may not like season two. You will not like season one. No one does. Don't watch it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Chokes McGee posted:

gently caress, I admitted to liking Iron Fist. Iron Fist.
Iron Fist was good.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

For the first half of the trailer I thought it was going to be his daughter as the main character with the father just being a sort of mentor character as she takes over the super heroing business. I was much more interested in that than what it apparently actually is. Not being set on Earth 1 just makes it even less interesting. I'll still give it a chance, but they haven't managed to excite my interest in any way.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

howe_sam posted:

I would be so down for the show using empathy to solve the problem for once.
That could have been so much better than what actually happened.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I have real problems with the way they write the speed force in this show. Thawne and Zolomon can do what the gently caress ever but it seems to want to punish Barry forever and ever and ever and ever...
Well, can you blame it?

nine-gear crow posted:

Or flip the whole thing on its head. Create a time remnant and go "dude, love her with all your heart, be a great friend to everyone, and be a better Flash than I was. Laters!" and then fling himself into the Speed Force and then just follow that Barry for the rest of the show and all the wacky CW DramaTM guaranteed to come about because of it.
A "time remnant" is just whichever one they arbitrarily decide isn't the "real" one though. Travel back in time ten minutes and stop yourself from travelling back in time and now there's two of you. One of them could still voluntarily sacrifice themself, but if that plan was made before the duplicate was made then they'd both want to be the one to make the sacrifice because they'd both think of themselves as the "real" Barry.

ChristopherRobin posted:

Except instead of Barry creating a time remnant, during the final battle they actually get through to Savitar and figure out how to keep him in existence through SPEEDFORCE. Then the ending plays through exactly the same way except instead of Barry going into the speedforce it's Savitar by choice to save everyone. It'd be a good redemption story flip on them trapping him there.
Forget the final battle, have the team win him over with kindness and then while they're trying to save him from Black Flash they somehow free Jay, and then Savitar willingly goes back into the prison to save everyone.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Say it with me now.

Speed.

Force.
Speed... weed?

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Nameless Pete posted:

And bring back Cowboy Wells, drat it!

Get French Wells and have everyone keep referring to him as a mime, with him just going "What do you people think a mime is? Does that word mean something different on this Earth? :psyduck:"

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

What do folks who didn't enjoy this season so much (I honestly didn't see enough of it) think Flash should do for season four to improve?
In no particular order:
  • No more evil speedsters.
  • No more time travel.
  • More of Barry and Iris doing their regular jobs, or at least show that their regular jobs mean something to them.
  • No more killing.
  • Let the good guys have fun and be cheerful.
  • Have the speedsters do more than just fight people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

You mean all of it?

There was that one good song, Super Friend.

• Locked thread