Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Gammatron 64 posted:

Like seriously Hollywood quit it with the remakes goddamn. There's been hundreds of remakes over the years and I'd be hard pressed to name 10 of them that were actually worth watching and weren't immediately forgotten.

-The Thing (the 80s one)
-The Fly (also from the 80s)
-Scarface
-Little Shop of Horrors
-True Grit
-Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid
-Hammer Dracula and Francis Ford Coppola Dracula I guess?
-I'm drawing a blank

The Magnificent Seven, A Fistful of Dollars and Star Wars are all debatable becuase they were all based on Akira Kurosawa films but changed the setting so it's a bit of a stretch. I like Mad Max Fury Road and Shin Godzilla a lot but to they count? I dunno, calling them remakes is also a bit of a stretch.

Also notice that half of those movies I listed were westerns. Oh and they remade the Magnificent Seven again, didn't they? I forgot about that. Like you know, most remakes.

I kind of like the carrie and evil dead remakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I would consider Magnificent Seven and Fistful of Dollars to be more adaptations than remakes. Also Star Wars was in no way a remake of anything Kurosawa made. It borrowed a lot of his imagery but it borrowed more from other sources; it was never trying to be any of his movies.

And to add to the list, Ocean's 11. Which is also allegedly getting another remake.

Ran is a good remake :smug:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Magnificent Seven wouldn't count because it's a completely different genre with just a core idea at the center. See also: most spaghetti westerns.

The Thing, True Grit, etc. are all based on books and the movies were retelling them, so that's a remake. Dracula, however wouldn't count because Coppola's has nothing to do with the Hammer films which had nothing to do with the book. It's similar to Fury Road in that it's different, unconnected takes on a character, not remakes. And Fury Road is also not a remake because it's the same director telling different campfire story tall tales about one mythical hero. See also Escape from NY/LA. So really there's only six remakes worth a poo poo on the list.

I'd add Friday the 13th ('09) which wasn't better than the originals, but was a very fun retelling of the first 3 movies. Also, Tom Savini's Night of the Living Dead was dope.

The worst and most unnecessary remakes, of course, are Nightmare on Elm Street, Total Recall, Robocop, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and Ghostbusters.

The Thing (2011) is a prequel, and as such earns the title of the worst prequel ever.

Not to be confused with the worst reboot, which was Man of Steel.

Not to be confused with the worst soft seaboot which was Batman Forever.

Course there also is an actual magnificent seven remake

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Just like on first attempts, when a re-do adaptation of a book goes closer to the source material, it gets better.

Yeah, like The Shining and Trucks and

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

super sweet best pal posted:

Cinema Snob's Double Down review highlights how much worse than RLM he is.

I don't know why he bothers with scripted reviews anymore when people just want to see him sit in a car

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

Y'all should hop over to the GB2016 thread in CD. The salt flows freely over the Plinkett review.

nobody here really cares about it though because it's completely uninteresting

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Coughing Hobo posted:

why the gently caress would anyone want to go anywhere near CD

cd regulars are funny. like MisterBibs who literally just uses box office returns to judge if a movie is good, so much so that he won't give an opinion of anything, even if he has watched the movie, before the box office stuff comes out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

JB50 posted:

What a stupid gimmick.

MisterBibs posted:

It resonated only in that they didn't want to just say why they didn't like the prequels (because it was embarrassing), and the Plinkett reviews gave them something to parrot so that their inherently-embarrassing reasons for disliking the prequels sounded like jan-yoo-ine film criticism.

RLM's initial popularity was founded on them providing a service: the functional equivalent of "its about ethics in gaming journalism".

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

WampaLord posted:

I loathe him with the same intensity that I feel towards cockroaches.

Lest we forget...

lol i forgot about that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

man, you know, people say paul feig ruined ghostbusters but i think everything he did that was good in his career was also a result of letting people do improv and stuff, like that's the best stuff in bridesmaids. that's what he does. whoever hired him to make ghostbusters into an improv-fest is at fault

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The highlight of CD is when SMG does a no effort/no info post and his sycophantic retards go "yes, the part in Spider-Man Homecoming where black Mary Jane turns out to be The Rhino really IS just like a Faustian deconstruction of 14th century lesbian Japanese manga, you're so right, wow this film has layers to it unlike other marvel films I guess Sony really is a great movie studio".

smg used to make me mad cause everyone sucked up to him even though he seemed like the dumbest person alive, but now i love him because everyone sucks up to him despite the fact he is definitely the dumbest person alive

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Weirdly the group I left the plinkett GB review with the most sympathy for were the actors (I am told somehow this is a gender neutral term lol)

It all stems from that moment where they were like "Do you think we'll finally get the firehouse" and then they kinda all looked to the camera after they begged for an action-cut to it and at that moment I felt like they really wanted this film to be more... .ghostbustery but unfortunately the only actual decisions they were being allowed to make were how many references to won-tons they could fit in.

Also I choose to beleve that the director had no control over the inclusion of pringles in his movie because that is way funnier and implies the actors coulda just slowly snuck the props and setpieces from the original ghostbusters onto the set day by day and totally got away with it.

yeah like i don't enjoy wiig much even in good movies but no comedian could do four hours (!) of good improv about logos and how hot chris hemsworth is. plus, when i think about the things those specific four actors are good at, improv isn't one of them. like lesley jones is funny on SNL in scripted comedic sketches that she writes; she's not famous for being able to come up with jokes on demand or anything.

if they definitely wanted a wacky improv movie, maybe the ghostbusters should have been.... colin mochrie and ryan styles.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The only person who should catch poo poo for Ghostbusters is Paul Feig.

It's really obvious the cast wanted it to work and be fun.

Feig, meanwhile, was just kissing everyone's asses and trying to build his own little empire in the studio.

but again, feig's been on good stuff in the past where he basically did that too. it was just that adoring your comedian actors and letting them improv works well in a sex comedy, or on a sitcom, or whatever. his strength as a director is that he gets out of the way and lets his actors do the material and have freedom to do whatever they want; if they'd had him in charge and given him a script written by someone else it could have been perfectly fine.

on the other hand the script was also written by him and it was poo poo so i guess in the end you're still right.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why on earth did they decide the best way to reboot ghostbusters, a movie with a script done by snl and sctv luminaries, was by having some guy whose claim to fame is that he is good at directing other peoples' scripts write it?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

why isnt the movie written by oscar-nominee-and-actual-woman kristen wiig? fuckin answer that, people who think disliking the movie is sexist

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Bananana posted:

Wow.

Imagine.

What if that had been the gb2016 we got?

I... I... who knows. :unsmith:

imagine colin mochrie doing improv about logos and how hot chris hemsworth is. it would be way better!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

They should've cast actual improv comedians, and had improv comedy writer-directors. The cast and crew should've either been people from UCB or The State.

It should've been Wet Hot American Ghostbusting Summer.

sandy toksvig IS peter venkwoman

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

ironically now that ghostbusters has its lovely prequel equivalent the stage is perfectly set for an average ghostbusters reboot ten years down the line to be a massive success purely due to contrast

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

idea for ghostbusters soft reboot: the ghostbusters, famous for saving new york decades ago, broke up due to the tragic death of egon. now ghosts are back and a new team of believers, inspired by their example, tries to deal with it unsuccessfully for a bit (insert some comedy here cause they're bad at the job?) but ultimately convinces venkman or ray to give them some secret of the technology that egon left in his notes so they can finish their new proton pack design and save the world.

like yeah it'd be poo poo too but at least it wouldn't have ernie hudson as "wacky uncle who owns a used car lot"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i don't think people dislike gb2016 just because it's not as good as the original though

like it also just sucks, and is bad

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

An homage to The Office but they're all minor workers in the Scranton branch of Ghostbusters Inc. Bill Murray cameos as the CEO who visits their office briefly and makes fun of their boss

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Gammatron 64 posted:

Yeah I mean, I'm definitely not sad that failed conman Paul Fieg got stomped, it's just that stupid executives annoy me much more in general

And I mean... he's not even a very good conman because the only people he fooled were the dumbass execs and dopes who bought into the "you just hate this movie because sexism!" narrative

Nobody else bought it, because well... nobody went to go see the movie lol

Ironically that's not true either, because it made 200million at the box office. He just bloated the budget so much with stupid decisions that it still was a flop

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

KMART THE MOVIE posted:

Wasn't the ghost busters movie too spooky for the Chinese market? Plus they would never laugh at ghosts.... To disrespectful to ancestors.

It has skeletons in it so it can't be shown in China

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

So since they are ghosts, and since most of the "ghosts" in Ghostbusters are some type of creature, does that mean they're the ghosts of dead aliens, or ghosts of dead demons?

"Yes! Ghost aliens!"

--Paul Feig

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

that probation was dumb as hell yo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

btw, speaking of sony pictures

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVgQuZf5o1M

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

KakerMix posted:

We are way, way past the point of separating mock movies that would be on SNL and what ones are actually real.
"Guys there is going to be a movie about the animals during the birth of christ and Oprah is going to star"

also key from key and peele

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also here's surfs up 2 which has the undertaker and vince mcmahon as animal versions of themselves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEfQpBuRzaI

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Dmitri-9 posted:

Surf's Up was released in 2007 :lol:

sony pictures is dyin'

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Ghostbusters has always been an advertisement for itself, a pure advertisement for a nonexistent service. You see an ad for an advertisement and then watch an advertisement peppered with advertisements. Ghostbusters, as a blockbuster, doesn't 'do' anything (that's the beauty of it!), but it does make you "feel good!" It's a meme, existing only to perpetuate itself. It's what Jurassic Park satirized: "your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should." And it's why their nemesis is a marshmallow.

There are dozens of Ghostbusters 3's out there, but one of the most obvious is Jurassic World. If the title wasn't already taken, you could just change the name to Ghost World and call the sexist Pratt character Venkman. It's not like the ghosts didn't resemble dinosaurs already.

The remake's failure is purely the result of bad advertisement. And I mean that the film failed as an advertisement for itself.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Andro Dunos posted:

Anyone remember when CD had a poll to determine the "greatest director of our generation"?

Their census was it's Joe Carnahan.

That guy who made the A-Team movie.

Let that sink in.

Maybe they really liked The Grey

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Lmao

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Is CD like, allergic to dramas and stuff, why doesn't smg ever talk about the new iñarrito or something

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Berious posted:

that piece of poo poo will make $500 million

Sony Pictures managed to lose money on loving Ghostbusters

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

i was gonna edit it but then i forgot

obviously it is "Iñárritu"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

facebook jihad posted:

I thought the new Plinket review was pretty good.

It's ok, just doesn't really say anything they haven't already said in the HITB episode and so on.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

reignofevil posted:

Jack is definitely a moron but he has always been a moron with his heart in the right place and that is what really won me over on him. Someone mentioned a few pages back that RLM newbie they introduce hates jack instantly and that's because jack hate it like RLM fan level 2.

Josh hate is level 10

What level is Mike hate

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Wicker Man posted:

I thought firefly was about insane rape psychos that kill, gently caress and eat anyone and everything they find?

Only the movie was about that

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bring back old gbs posted:

which costume??? u know which one, we all know which one, but say it say itttttttt

The Reb Brown captain america where he owned a panel van and didn't fight people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

In the future you can just say "the good one".

The second Reb Brown captain america where he owns a panel van and fights one person

• Locked thread