Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for uninviting someone to a party over comments they made about the invitation?
Your class anxiety is valid and if your boyfriend isn't backing you now, he sure isn't going to back you when his bougie friends start shittalking you at the New Year's Party. Enjoy a lifetime of never being good enough for people who don't deserve you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The_Franz posted:

If it's just a few guys inviting a few girls over to try and get with them, things change. If they have their own gay friend they try to introduce to the guy, then things will undoubtedly go very wrong.

If "they won't invite a boyfriend", it's probably the latter

Yeah that was the vibe I got. A 34 year-old can't possibly be that inexperienced and stupid to not know what's up. Even then there's nothing wrong with asking her boyfriend to pretend to be gay to help act as a wedge if he's that kind-of guy, but as we established your average reddit dork is not that guy.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hey face blindness is a serious condit--ahahaha I can't finish that yeah gently caress that guy fake story or not he's Jake LaMotta and deserves what he gets

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for laughing uncontrollably at my son when he asked me to replace a Christmas gift he broke out of anger?

I've worked in hospitals with women and guys would literally whip their dicks out at 3 am after hitting the call light.

This post was less subtle than that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for drawing attention to my sister's much younger new husband?

Oh my god I feel bad for the sister. OP and the other siblings do not have real problems to give such a gently caress.

Yeah it's weird. Yeah your sister should have told you. No you don't need to make it an issue right then and there you stupid busybody fucks. Get to know the guy, talk with your sister later, and if it seems to be functional then move on and mind your own loving business.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

It's cold and even petty, but sometimes that's what you've reaped and that's what you sow. Maybe in 10 more years it would have been fine, but it's still not fine, and that's ok.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah if you've ever had a moment of spite like that you know it's something you want to brag about, and arguably should if you're reclaiming a sense of dignity someone else tried to take away from you.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

"You forgive the other person for their sake, not yours"

and

"Holding onto anger and pain is like drinking poison and expecting your tormenter to die"

These saying are so ancient I'm pretty sure they predate Rome.

----

Eventually yeah, she should let go and forgive. She's clearly not ready and is under no obligation to. Not doing so and being petty about posting her moment of triumph absolutely makes her an rear end in a top hat. She's not a bully for being spiteful, and her tormentor definitely deserves the pain. All of these things can be simultaneously true and more.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah that's definitely a case of "lose the battle to win the war" like yeah you should be able to hold firm and say to the kid "that's not how gifts work after you refuse them" but you can't in this kind-of dynamic.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Hellblazer187 posted:

Asking for forgivness is actually kind of a lovely thing to do in the first place. You can say you're sorry, you can and should acknowledge what you did wrong, but the final "could you find it in your heart to forgive me?" is total poo poo.
It is. You apologize. Forgiveness for your transgressions comes from another, and you may not get it and you may not deserve it.

The Moon Monster posted:

I've never understood this kind of thinking, the deepities you quoted notwithstanding. It's perfectly possible to get over something like this and then not say "yes" to the person if they come up and say "but hey we're cool right?" years later.
Oh of course, but when that happens you don't run to the internet to post about the sick :iceburn: you laid down on your former tormentor. People who are "over it" don't usually do that, speaking from firsthand experience there.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Licarn posted:

WIBTA if I refuse to let a person fully join our coven.

Aside from the fact that this is going to devolve into a cult and implode a few days after opening the "sex magick" chapter in their ancient 1990s guidebooks, I'm actually on witch lady's side here.

You have standards for your club and someone didn't meet them. Yeah you're kind of an rear end in a top hat. You've also got a literal waiting list of people to get in. Enjoy being one of the popular kids for a little while. If your applicant had a better attitude you could probably bend the rules and give them more time to acclimate, but instead of starting the Rocky training montage they're whining about fitness standards lower than what most public school kids have to do daily. That's not energy you want to bring in.

razorrozar posted:

im slightly confused why exercise is an integral part of witchcraft but that person's attitude alone seems toxic enough to keep them out

It's pretty obviously just a ladies group where they're encouraging general health, self-defense, good lifestyle practices etc. as an outgrowth of natural interest in the same New Age accoutrements that a lot of people gravitate toward when they don't fit into Christianity but aren't broken enough to subscribe to hardline atheism. Honestly it's :krad: af and I support it in all forms.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Licarn posted:

AITA for lying to my in-laws about actively trying to have a child.
This dude dumb af

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for warning my neighbor about his wife?
Sounds like gossiping and being the one to "drop the hammer" was this guy's thrill of the decade. Did this guy take a photo or something? Or even just made particular note of the stranger's physical features? Could have easily handled this way more diplomatically and investigative than just telling your friend it looks like his wife was cheating.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lucrece posted:

AITA for saying my babysitting rates are $35 an hour?

Honestly? Props for not falling into the working class trap of having to take whatever your "social betters" say is a fair rate and having the option to charge what is actually a real wage for underclass work if you adjust for things like cost of living and inflation.

My roommate just publicly tore the assholes of a veterinary clinic a new one because she asked for $15/hr start rate for 5+ years of qualification and experience in a high cost-of-living area-- one in which she has multiple options and side gigs already-- and the boss first said it was negotiable, strung her along for several days, then tried to hardline her into $13/hr, wasting lots of her time.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for telling my sister that her beating breast cancer was not impressive and not inspirational?
Classic "you're not exactly wrong but you're a total rear end in a top hat" scenario.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Power Khan posted:

AITA for declining to repair my grandmother bathroom that my aunt destroyed and then making them “cry”
Your aunt is mentally ill af, your grandmother probably didn't mean to but ended up enabling her, and now they're both going to suffer. Go life your own life.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My (31f) husband (34m) and I got into a terrible verbal fight and I don't know if we can come back from it.
I mean you can, but it's probably more work than both of you want to put into it. Y'all are frustrated at being middle of the pack and that's understandable, but you think you both would have realized that by now and committed better. Then again if you had you might not be middle of the pack.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for giving my husbands affair child (now adult) money and a job?
The husband sounds great what a catch, shaming you for being the rare rich person with half a conscience and noblesse oblige. loving hell.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lucrece posted:

AITA for telling someone disabled they should leave the gym
I didn't think I'd hate anyone on this page beyond rich "doesn't care about his affair daughter and shames his wife for helping her," but gently caress me if a challenger hasn't appeared.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for agreeing to a job candidates strange (but not too high) salary request?
Your scummy capitalist boss is pissed that you "failed negotiations" and agreed to pay the kid one cent more than the minimum he allocated. You should eat him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I have never heard of a deviated septum inhibiting smell.

Even so, you would think that basic hygiene would cover all but truly foul body odor.