Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

ArbitraryC posted:

I feel like it must go along with just never having a social life. I was a bit of a picky eater in my teens cause I was raised by a single mom so I ate basically processed quick foods for a decade, but when I hit college and was living on my own/eating with friends it was hard to be the dude who was like "no tomatoes and onions" so i just adapted. I feel like you have to live in a bubble to not go beyond picky eating.

A bunch of allergies drastically narrowing down food options, single parent, no social life and living in isolation (either overprotective parents, self-imposed or just in the middle of goddamn nowhere) will cement a picky eating habit pretty hard. In the better-case scenarios, it'll at least include some healthy food to balance it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The parents tend to be where it all starts, one way or another. That and social isolation. I think a lot of parents find comfort in knowing exactly what they need to feed their kid without having to think about it, whether they're stressed, lazy or both. The more self-aware ones at least should teach the kid to acquire and prepare their own food without needing to be almost literally spoon-fed, mind.

Parenting should be about teaching and helping your child grow into a functional adult. But it seems like a lot of stunted adults come from parents who basically gave up on them, one way or another, when they stopped being cute.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Is it really going to end at one unemployable nephew, though? And imagine what happens if you have to fire them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

While I said otherwise before, there are more and more places nowadays where unemployment is so dire that hitting up family to employ someone who is utterly lacking in opportunities is reasonable.

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

Then he should head down to the local pipefitter's hall.

That poo poo does not happen anymore, last I checked. Or any openings are taken in a blink of an eye, usually by someone's kid or nephew.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Congrats, you're a waifu. And like any good waifu, you're not meant to have a life of your own that contradicts his fantasies that he at least rightfully so far refuses to act on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I'm not sure if you're really one to talk here, Pick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fill society with beautiful women dual-wielding firearms, is this an anime

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

fruit on the bottom posted:

Man I wish we used our man councils to organize the rapes. Instead it's all about schedules and union dues and stupid bylaws and long conversations about how apparently my man cave isn't built to code and it's dragging down the whole sex JERRY ITS A WHOLE loving 1/8TH OF AN INCH DONT YOU HAVE ANYTHING BETTER TO DO and then we schedule the next one.

The Jewish conspiracy has the same problem.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Never date Mormons. Especially if you aren't Mormon yourself. It's a horrible idea with basically no upsides.

:mitt:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Fortis posted:

Portland

Everything I hear about this place is beyond parody.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

don't be greedy; you can't be both

Ex [22M] proposed to me [22F] today. My current BF [23M] wants me to keep the proposal necklace my ex gave me. I want to throw it away.

Sell it on the internet.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Quite surprised to see a happy ending there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pvt.Scott posted:

Yeah, it sucks in actual practice for the young women (and men) who are looking to get experience and build a career.

21st century.txt

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Not necessarily a bad thing, but very often a bad idea. Especially when anyone involved is crazy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Some people are capable of not being insane around their exes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I think there's a point where someone that spiteful and irrational is going to make trouble for you sooner or later no matter what you do.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I have a friend who's been horrifically mauled by dogs, I think one was half-wolf, TWICE exactly a year apart because of rear end in a top hat owners who refuse to secure their large, dangerous, aggressive animals. They're quite justifiably scared of anything like them now.

Idiots like this have no sense of other people's safety and are going to keep doing it until someone gets hurt.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

If you're getting a dog without any actual purpose for it besides 'is a dog', then just get the weirdest looking mutt in the shelter.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

new phone who dis posted:

It's one extreme or the other. Poorly trained or carnival show tricks.

And then you get cases of people getting border collies when they live in the suburbs and keep them indoors, and use a laser pointer for 'exercise'.

All the best dogs I've ever known have been hilarious crossbreeds, including my cousin's German Shepherd/Corgi.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

Oh man you haven't been in the job market for a few years huh

It's this. The job market is a Kafkaesque hellscape where this story is plausible.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Something, something, a microcosm of the global economy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

They're probably both dicks, maybe at least one will end up dead as a result of this.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That's just kind of sad.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well I missed the joke, though I found it all too plausible that someone's friends and family would abandon and neglect them after an accident, treating them like a drooling vegetable.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Though the advice also implies you should stick with it, even if you turn out to have a therapist even more crazy than you are the first time.

Sounds like she's being a better mother than many who would claim to love their children, at least.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

[30M] This is a bit strange, but my wife's [25F] hometown's mascot died and she's taking it too hard.

As a Floridian, gently caress this guy!

Something something, you can take the woman out of Florida but you can't take the Florida out of the woman?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

OP deserves an award for that update title.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Psychiatric drugs can get weird. Treating ADHD with Ritalin, basically an amphetamine, is pretty much fighting fire with fire, but it actually works. When you have abnormal brain chemistry, drugs are, quite logically, not gonna do the same thing they would to most brains.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

He's just a crackpot who is probably getting high off the fumes of his own randomly assembled hunks of metal and chemicals. Best leave him to his dreams.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ham Sandwiches posted:

It's kind of weird that in the USA in 2017 this guy is a narc looking for the proper authorities to report this guy to, going so far as to ask reddit to help him think of authorities, for the crime of "screwing around in a shed"

Reddit is all over it with telling him to report to the fire chief and a bunch of others, so don't worry citizens, this guy will get arrested or shot soon hopefully!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAP_JBRBECk

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Picky eating's come up before. When it's at the point of a single food you're definitely looking at even worse untreated autism and/or absolutely horrible parents than usual.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Returning art stolen by the Nazis sounds like a story for the grandkids, the poster seems to be being fair about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

As much as I adore my younger brothers, there are times when you have to threaten to beat them with their most prized possession to get them to understand boundaries.

I do hope the oceangrunge story is real, if only because I imagine the guy's friends completely made it up, and it terrified and confused the younger brother enough that he decided to behave if only to not risk the wrath of Poseidon again. That guy doesn't do subtle.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Delicious enough payoff I can only wonder if it's fake, but it's all to easy to imagine people just spiting and spiting until they find themselves utterly ruined because they thought they could treat a family member as a slave forever.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ziv Zulander posted:

That's amateur hour. If you really want to mess your kids up, everybody knows you have to alternate between being way too overly affectionate and endlessly screeching at them for every little thing.

Oh hey, I just found out how to describe my childhood.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pick posted:

Well with my father, for example, I have to assume it didn't help that his mother was basically Lucille Bluth without the occasional glimmers of humanity.

Like 99% of the time when you see someone with mental issues who's barely functional their parents are a hundred times worse. Usually expecting their children to take care of them after doing the bare minimum to keep them alive and clothed.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

It's like Mario Party, except way more tedious to set up, keep track of and put away.

I'm reminded of one Japanese local multiplayer board game where if you're losing, you can make a deal with the devil and go full gently caress Everyone mode, wrecking everyone else's things scorched earth with Satanic superpowers. I'm sure that ended some relationships.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Countdown to the mom going completely ballistic and probably assaulting a cop, right here in the thread.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

And even if they do exist in some numbers, they're still better and more reliable allies than establishment Democrats, whose main takeaway from the loss seems to be 'We weren't racist enough, and didn't offer enough tax breaks for businesses, but winning isn't everything, anyway'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

WampaLord posted:

Jesus christ lady you escaped Florida for one of the greatest cities in the world and you want to go back? :psyduck:

:sever: from her, she's clearly insane.

As I said, mostly in jest: You can take the woman out of Florida, but you can't take the Florida out of the woman.