Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

What's a good squatting goal for a short, small man (5'8", 136lb)? I'm currently squatting 185 but I'm always wary of my knees (broken meniscus in both).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

sassassin posted:

Do you plan to stay at that weight?

I've never weighed more than 140, though not for lack of trying. Ideally I'd like to pack on at least ten more pounds.

Zahgaegun posted:

Bodyweight x 1.5 is a solid squat (204#?) and BWx2 (272#) is always impressive.

I wanted to get two 45lb plates on each side eventually, but I like the sound of 205ish as a more immediate goal. Thanks!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

So when I say "I can do X when I squat", am I supposed to say how much I can do a single rep for or how much I can do a few sets for?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Is there an exercise that should be done on a Smith Machine that wouldn't just be better to do with a barbell? Why do Smith Machines exist?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Can't you just do those with dumbbells?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

How many of these should I be incorporating into my routine?

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10154932817756006&id=7331091005

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Pruney posted:

I'm pissed since I have 2 bags of weight gainer protein and cant loving use them now

Recently got diagnosed with Celiac Disease and they might have gluten in them

Might just gently caress it and destroy the bags within a week

Destroy your colon instead.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

How does one have celiac's with no side effects? Isn't it all about the terrible body-destorying things certain foods do to your gut?

I think he meant no side effects from the protein powder, maybe?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Went to the doctor recently because of some lower back pain and found out I have some degree of lumbar lordosis. How do you guys feel about using the trap bar to do lifts when experiencing mild back pain? Are deadlifts with the trap bar comparable to doing them with a barbell?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Speaking of surgery, anyone here get a vasectomy? I know I gotta be off my feet for two days after the procedure, but I forgot to ask how long before I could resume weightlifting.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

How tall are you guys and what's your body weight? 425lb is like triple my body weight and it's hard for me to imagine ever deadlifting that much. Right now I can do maybe five squats at 225lb and I haven't attempted to deadlift that much out of fear of tweaking my back.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Aug 24, 2019

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Time posted:

Of course you can’t imagine deadlifting that much, you don’t even deadlift lol

Well now this is just rude.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

UnfurledSails posted:

Here's the 415x2 I did yesterday, though it's filmed from the front:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkSrZh-ZmXw

You still get an idea about where my hips are though

And here's my 425 current 1RM, from a better angle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYU8fwWORZc

My hips look a bit high to me here, and I felt like I was using my back a lot in that lift

I'll go for 425x2 next week, I'll film it from the side next.

The Thrall video says "don't sit back" which is what I do, but I think I might need to consciously put my rear end down a bit before starting the pull

I'm 5'8" and 170 when I pulled 425 for the first time. My deadlift shot up immediately once I stopped fearing about tweaking my back. My back rounds a bit during max lifts (as you can see from the vids) but that's okay as long as the form is good and you are keeping everything tight throughout the lift imo

Oh hey, we're the same height, just thirty pounds apart. Maybe I just need to stop being a little bitch and actually try to lift heavier weights.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

i'm 6'1 and around 193-195 atm. I pull close to 500. I can easily imagine deadlifting 6 or 700 in a couple of years. you know why? Because I took it one step at a time and went from 2-300, then 3-400, etc. You gotta get over the fear. If it helps, my back feels a lot better now that I'm this strong. Most of the tweaks happen at first when you're still learning. They also aren't a big deal most of the time, assuming you're otherwise healthy.

The doctor just advised I be careful after they told me about the lumbar lordosis and I've been paranoid/using it as an excuse since then. I'm confident I can get my squat and deadlift higher than where they're at now. My bench and press, however, are tragically bad. I really, really need to work on those.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

What's your guys's protein intake, relative to body weight? I get no less than 80 grams right now (to my 140lb) and I feel like I'm really missing the mark there.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Looking for some form critique. My job pays for LA Fitness memberships so I don't pay anything but have to use those annoying octagonal plates.

5x205lb Squat: https://youtu.be/5XlTed3svzc

3x185lb Deadlift: https://youtu.be/IL9GHPVLVn0

Had to cut the deadlift set I was recording short because I set up the phone too close to other equipment someone else was waiting to use. Woops!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Flipgrip posted:

Your squat is a little high. First two reps for sure,a little closer to good depth on the last three. Practicing some pause reps before/after your worksets will help, it just looks a little unsteady right now.

You could stand to tighten up your lower back a little more for the initial deadlift pull but it's not heinous.

Thanks! I could definitely feel I wasn't going as low as I should on those first two reps, so I tried being more mindful on the following ones. I also deleted the video of the first set because I ripped rear end setting up for the squat and it was loud enough for my phone to pick up.

I'll see if I can tighten up that lower back a bit more on the initial deadlift pull. I can definitely see what you mean.

Edit: The deadlifts were also really easy so I'll definitely be adding more weight on Tuesday.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Aug 26, 2019

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I was hoping it would fall straight down and get stuck on his shoulders with him still standing.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Decided to add 30lb to my deadlift and I feel fantastic. My muscles feel pleasantly tight and doing more than before without hurting my back has been a considerable morale boost.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jonesing to get back to the gym after my vasectomy (was on Monday) but I really wanna give it a good ten days before I attempt anything.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jove Tone posted:

Anyone else have balance issues after spending too long on the treadmill? I feel like I'm zooming around at warp speed even though I'm just walking after I'm done.

That also happens to me but I can't explain the mechanism behind it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Watching this is making my back hurt.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

I don't usually do shirts with stuff on them other than my Death shirt but I really like this one.

Nicely trimmed beard, friend.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

What are smith machines actually good for?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I just see these dudes that have got like half a foot and eighty pounds on me get under the smith machine and do squats, oho, or bench and I'm left wondering why they're not using one of the empty racks instead.

E: It's probably just because it's a commercial gym instead of a power lifting gym, isn't it?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

That & they might have other instability issues from not working certain muscle groups as often. Bad as it sounds I've seen this a lot with dudes that don't work legs or core enough & only focus on jacking up their upper bodies. They use the smith machine because it doesn't require as much effort to balance or move the weight as it would being in an open rack with no supports or counterweights.

Wouldn't a better solution be to take a hit to your ego and work your way up on an open rack instead of ignoring your stability issues? I understand if an injury is preventing you from doing that, but I don't understand being lazy about it if you're already willing to put so much effort in elsewhere.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Fuuuuck, I just hurt some muscle slightly to the left of the bottom of my right scapula. That area had been sore for a couple of days and when I went to squat today I got a sharp stabbing pain. Twisting my upper body left hurts and I can't hold a 45lb plate with my right hand without it hurting as well.

E: Absolutely can't squat. Bench Press, OHP, and Upright Row were fine, Deadlift was fine with low weight and made it hurt on the descent with higher weight. I hope this poo poo gets better with a day's rest and icing/heating.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 1, 2019

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

What have people's experience been with belts? I don't know if it's the physical support, some placebo effect from feeling more secure with it, or both, but I just bought a nice belt and I've added more than twenty pounds to my squat after having been sidelined by a bad cold for over a week.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Glad to know I had it in me all along, I guess!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I wish King Oscar sardines weren't so expensive. I really like eating them with hot sauce and the 4.25oz tins have like 20g of protein, but they're no cheaper than $2 a pop.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

ovenboy posted:

I did a crockpot with chicken, stock, tomatoes, onion, celery, carrot, chili, and garlic. When the chicken could be pulled apart I added some beans, lentils and quinoa. Ten meals, and about two minutes of work per meal!

That sounds delicious.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

It is. That's why one fat set of bumpers is necessary to let the bar roll a little like God intended.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B8KG_stp1V3/?igshid=uhethdwi7ing

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

ANGRYGREEK posted:

I am very shy about recording myself in the midst of the gym, probably because we’re talking about deadlifting 300, squatting ca 220 and maybe benching 200 pounds. I am proud of my progress, but it’s nothing to brag about.
Thanks for the tips, as always. Swole thread, best thread (to mostly lurk).

My numbers are also nothing to brag about (255 squat, 225 deadlift, unspeakably low bench and overhead press), but I'll post a video asking for a form check from people in the thread to hopefully help you a little with your shyness.

https://youtu.be/-4mFn4fdTe8

Do you guys see any glaring issues? After watching the video I feel like I'm bending at the knees too soon and maybe letting the bar drift a little right at the bottom. Also, totally relate to whoever said deadlifting with octagonal plates is suffering.

I also mentioned it before in the thread, but going up in weight on the deadlift has been a huge pain because I have joint hypermobility and I feel like it's affecting my grip strength considerably.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Rando: Mind if I borrow some plates from you?

Me: Sure.

Rando proceeds to grab five 10lb plates and put them on one side of the smith machine so he can do incline press (he had used five on the other side already). He's got 45s and 5s he could use, but he just had to have five tenners on each side. What the gently caress?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I bought a weight belt off amazon and I hope it fits. Between using straps and the thread's advice my deadlift form has improved, but I still need to ratchet back the weight and work back towards my old max of 385lbs. Managing 255lbs without back curl and I'm feeling better for it.

Yeah, I got my belt off Amazon. A lot of the reviews were good, but some were complaining about missing/loose rivets and poo poo, so I was a little worried. Gonna get lifting straps next. Anyone got any brand suggestions? Preferably something I could get from Amazon, since I've got points to spend.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

What kind of lifting straps do you guys use? I'm looking at Pioneer's website and see they've got figure eight straps and the 24" kind you wrap around the bar. Do you guys have a preference between leather and cotton straps?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Anyone else just pound back whatever preworkout makes them feel like they're sweating on the inside, without any care for the ingredients?

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

MA-Horus posted:

I started dieting thru the RP App today.
My breakfast today was 250g of 0% greek yogurt, 30g pure peanut butter, 30g of instant oats and a protein shake. I will be consuming what I consider astonishing amounts of protein.
But I have a wedding to go to in Greece at the end of may and I want to drop this spare tire and look awesome so, sacrifices must be made.

You can do it!

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

RockyB posted:

Using the local cheap as hell econo-gym while it's too cold to go out to my shed gym is fun. Lots of scrawny university lads, staring wide eyed in wonder as you put their weight on the bar and military press it.

Makes me feel all warm and tingly

(that may just be the pre-workout)

My military and bench press are so garbage. I just wanna hit body weight and 1.5x body weight respectively, damnit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Jove Tone posted:

Anyone ever get stretch marks after a serious pump? Every once in a while I get these tiger stripe looking stretch marks on my pecs near the armpit and they last for a couple weeks before they go away. I'm not using any kind of preworkout or anything except caffeine.

Are you sure they're not still there, just barely visible?