Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fat grips help build forearms, so fat bar helps build shoulders. Why else would people even do it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

just scream "Arnold! Arnoooooold!" imo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The famous spreadsheet diet got me eating 8 cups of vegetables a day. I'm far from a green-free goonlord, but believe me when I say my guts went through some changes that first week.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Fartbox posted:

I finished my cut months ago and it's summer so i dont want to bulk yet (want to look good wtihout a shirt :grin:) and it feels strange to just eat at maintenance. Feels like I'm not moving in any one direction and just treading water :negative:

Two or three months of good maintenance after a cut are enough to get you physically and psychologically settled in at your new weight.

If you aren't at 12% bf yet and you'd like to start cutting again, you have this shrinking idiot's permission.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Setting a new PR for gym idiocy, today I only realized the left j-cup was one notch higher than the right after all five of my planned bench press sets.

I'm definitely feeling the difference now in my own j-cups, if you follow!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

I usually last about 2 minutes.

HIIT. Rest for four minutes, then seven more rounds.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Some people swear by that lacroix stuff but they all look pretty small.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Well, sorry, but what am I supposed to do, lift in a burqha?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

E_P posted:

OD on tribal tattoos and water from his 2 gallon clown car of a cup he lugs around.

my beverage container of choice is a 64oz steel growler and i unironically recommend it for intra-and-or-post-workout drinking

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

If you aren't rich enough for crossfit and you don't have any friends who would want to help you stay accountable and be healthy and strong, then focus on fixing one or both of those.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

mobby_6kl posted:

But getting swole AF is how I was going to get those other two

Some (weird) people enjoy and benefit from exercising in groups. If you can stay consistent without external accountability, then by all means buy bigger headphones and continue your monk-like quest towards hugeitude.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

What about air squats

are those the ones where you jump at the top or the ones where you balance on a bosu? either way, seems like an increased injury risk imo

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The Ferret King posted:

Guys, I just can't stop farting. I have to stay outdoors it's so bad.

Does anything stop this when you're pounding protein and fiber?

You can buy anti-fart pills OTC. "Beano" is a brand I remember.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

It's me.

I'm the machine.

I'm the machine I built to lift the weights.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

elgintensity: RIP Rich Piana 1971-2017 #leavehumanitybehind

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

nooneofconsequence posted:

I failed on the 4th rep of my 5th set doing a 5x5 squat. 😭

Sincere congratulations. I've never had the courage to squat to failure.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I asked my doctor about psychological effects, and he said that, at least at the levels you get from TRT, it doesn't increase libido so much as it increases confidence. So you're roughly as horny as you've always been, but a fair bit less inhibited from doing something about it.

I've only been on it six days, but the only effect I've noticed so far is my face is oily every morning. Gonna have to start having an American-Psycho-esque cleansing routine.

As far as confidence, eh, I managed okay before with only the output of my weak and defective balls, we'll see what happens.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Defiant Sally posted:

Successfully slid into the DM's of one of the hottest physique girls in my gym

We did it

game recognize game

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

you, twink moron: "make sure to spend lots of time warming up trouble areas, and talk to a doctor if pain persists or recurs. untreated issues can make you miss even more lifting time, and we want to stay healthy and mobile for the long haul"

me, wise mountain: "shoo shoo, gains goblin"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7gzmoqmL7g

You Have To Work Out To Get a Workout posted:

Sure, working out can be boring. It can be mindless, and repetitive. Have you seen that Planet Fitness ad, where the big dumb goon says "I lift things up and put them down," over and over, like a big dumb goon? Ha, what a big dumb goon, right? What a mindless, repetitive, boring, lifestyle he has. He just lifts things up and puts them down. What an uncreative, inside-the box workout program he has, that big dumb goon. Just lifting, and putting down. Over and over again.

GUESS WHAT THAT'S WHY HE'S A loving MONSTER.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Thesaurus posted:

office building

decent gym

where is this and are you hiring

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Fallows posted:

I deadlift less sumo than I do conventional, its not easier

I've heard it claimed that anthropometry effects which you find easier.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The safe answer is that reps only count if they're done with perfect form, and that you should stop when you "miss" one.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

People fight with clothes on?!

We live in a fallen age.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

We've made a lot of progress as a lifting society if women are giving men unasked-for form advice.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

That article is the fitness version of the ones mega-bouge write when they're triggered by Earth Hour. "Oh, I guess I could turn off my electricity for an hour and think about what life would look like in a human civilization with a long-term future, and what could be done to bring that about...or I could go salsa dancing like the cool and fun person I am!!"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Fallows posted:

dude why would u not want to look at ur self as u lift

I'm afraid of Bloody Mary. :ohdear:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"Why does my everything hurt?"

"You've never used it before."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Never don't be not eating nothing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Sludge Tank posted:

God i loving hate instagram fitness/inspirational posts. Blatant narcissism thinly disguised with some empty bullshit inspirational garbage caption or worldly advice about some crap spruiked by loving dumb as gently caress gym bunnies/chads gently caress off with that poo poo

You: mad.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Breakfast All Day posted:

step 1: stand on ab wheel handles
step 2: db press dumbbell
step 3: while holding db extended, leap from ab wheel and do a one hand pull up
step 4: release, land on ab wheel handles and repeat

when you can do a set of 20 your training is complete

step 0: set up camera and livestream

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

his muscles look quite confused

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Bacontotem posted:

It's the Lord's most holy day. Sunday, aka Deadlift day.

Is this is actually a thing? I did have to wait unusually long for a platform today.

But I got it eventually, which keeps me on track for my ridiculous and arbitrary goal of 5x420 by 4/20.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

LordArgh posted:

the lord rested on the seventh day, you heathens

:confused: you European or something? Sunday is the first day.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"remember the Sabbath and keep it holy: cardio and posing practice only."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Some days u just need a good CLANG

"Klang" is Khmer for "strong."

I am not making that up.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

barkbell posted:

What’s up with all these gym bros being crazy pro-military and reactionary. Wendler, Rippetoe, etc always talking about some dumb bullshit about a man has to be this or that and skinny jeans are not manly. My gym even has marine flags waving around. Why can’t they chill out.

I think it depends where you are and who they are. Some of them are ornery old men from East Texas.

I remember watching a bench press form video by I think Mark Bell, and at the end there was a bonus thing where he was saying "Yeah 'everything's fine,' or what...what's that retarded poo poo people say nowadays? I hate that poo poo."

"It's all good" was the phrase he was looking for.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

UnfurledSails posted:

I love the RP templates as every workout leaves me a trembling aching mess, but it also kind of sucks to go "was that really 3/fail? Too hard? Too easy? TELL ME THE TRUTH DAMMIT!" after like every set. Oh well, shut up, eat, sleep, lift, and so on and so forth

I also enjoy debating whether to rate an exercise as a 1 or 0.

"Well, was I sore and tight, or just tight? And was the tightness really from the last time I worked this muscle, or just from general Old Man syndrome?"

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

barkbell posted:

after i started sleeping more, eating whole foods, and lifting the heaviest things i can i basically have no maladies anymore i dunno whats wrong with the rest of you

I think I caught something from your mom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

TurboFlamingChicken posted:

I am likely one of those as I typically only sleep about five and a half hours in an evening and I recover well and always feel alert and fresh if I sleep more than that I end up getting lethargic

I also poop too much

Friends, hear me: if we eat this one, perhaps we shall gain their power.