Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Fallows posted:

Like boxer briefs?

I don't know.... I didn't go to underwear school

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

commando 4 lyfe

I'm commando right now. Just wear those snug underwears to the gym, now.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

sassassin posted:

You don't have to post every time you go to the gym.

This isn't facebook.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

satanic splash-back posted:

You should squat with your mind instead of body

He who squats with his body has forgotten the face of his father. I squat with my heart.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I have a goodly amount of nerve damage in my hands, gloves help a great deal with my grip.

Also other peoples germs.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
My current goal is to lose 12 more pounds by xmas, which will put me at 199.9. I haven't been that svelte since the Marines (I am also 6'0). I am thinking of going 100% cardio between now and then.... and call it a recovery period. But I am not sure I want to sacrifice the strength gains of the last 6 months. I want to keep the muscle but lose the layer of whale-like blubber.

Oh what to do.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

eat nothing but salami, vegetables, and water

Go full carb-free?

Can I replace the salami with other sources of protein?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Chinatown posted:

i mean i guess you could but salami is delicious and has nitrates :shrug:

Compromise... pepperoni? I like the spice.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Cardio day. Swam 54 laps w/flipturns in 60 minutes and wasn't even breathing hard at the end. Not bad for a 45 year old piece of poo poo.

Also I really like my lap swimming mp3 earbuds.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Just because I am curious, aren't steroids illegal?

Or is it just illegal in competition?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

U.S. Barryl posted:

Where are you? Steroids are illegal in many many places, but not all.

I'm in the midwest, and I'm not making any judgements. I just know nothing about the legality of them, because I've never been exposed to the steroid culture. I always assumed they were illegal but peeps in here are all casual about them, so it got me to wondering.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Gotcha.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Homestar Runner posted:

I accidentally squatted a personal best today because my math sucks and I put more plates on the bar than intended

That mental trickery is amazing. Sometimes you fail because you THINK you will fail. Then one day you accidentally put on too much weight, don't realize it, and lift it easily.

Being stupid is an advantage in the gym.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Four weeks until the Resolutioners arrive.

gently caress.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

FedEx Mercury posted:

This two guys were using a squat rack for 40 minutes but one of them was doing 4 plates so what can you say.

There should be some sort of flag you can fly in the gym that means, "Hey we're going to be camped here for a while so just ask to jump in."

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

i wish it was acceptable to say 'no' when someone asks to work in. i feel like i should be allowed to negotiate a new social contract where i never ask anyone if i can work in with them if they don't ask me.

I say no if I have less than 90 seconds left. I don't want to help them switch weights.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Would the amputation count as achieving a weight loss goal? Asking for a friend.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

So today was my hypertrophy day for upper body and it was my first time doing side lateral raises. I knew I'd need to start light, but I was only able to do 15 lb dumbells for like 8 or 9 reps. Is that normal? Fwiw I did 6 total sets of BP, dumbell and barbell, and also 3 sets of standing OHP, so I wasn't at 100% by the time I got to them, but still I felt really weak.

e: I should go rewatch some form videos, I may have been trying to raise too high.

Those things are my bane. I started working the shoulders hard almost a year ago and I am still only up to 25 pound dumbbells, 3/10.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bamhand posted:

Did 5x200m sprints on the erg at a 1:27.8 split. I'm pretty sure I died and I'm now posting from the afterlife.

I swam a 32 minute mile last week and I am pretty sure I drowned and was legally dead for about 17 minutes in the middle of it.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dum Cumpster posted:

Why would you lift weights if you can't enjoy a beer after?

Peeps in my unit in the Marines used to do that... they all wanted to run 4 miles off base to the bar out in town, slam two beers, and then run the 4 miles back. That poo poo used to rek me.... my body isn't made to do that easily. 8 mile run, fine. 8 miles with beer in the middle, rekt.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Somewhat related to the coming Resolutioners:

Some of the regulars are bringing in their long haired, skinny, sullen, teenage sons to the gym now that they are on xmas break from school. Today I sat down on the end of the bench to do some wrist curls and this kid looks at the dumbbell I was holding and said, "Hey can I use that?"

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rodenthar Drothman posted:

"Yeah sure"
Throw it at him.
as we know I do not condone throwing weights.

It was such a stupid question I actually laughed at him and said, "No," with that 'are you kidding me?' tone.

Then I sort of regretted laughing because his dad lifts way heavier than me and is bald.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Dec 21, 2016

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I was a cheapass for about 20 years buying Walmart tennis shoes... Then one day on a whim I tried some $80 Nike trainers, and God drat, you can feel the difference.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

E_P posted:

.... if you've ever seen someone bench 3 plates with a 9th grade boys chest you would know that.

That's actually pretty impressive... 3 plates is super lopsided and you'd have to be strong as hell to not fall over sideways. I admit I am a scrub who like always does an even number of plates. :(

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

E_P posted:

Why do the plates have to weigh the same?

Well I guess if you had 2 25s on one side and a 45 on the other it wouldn't be TOO lopsided.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Doing some BPs yesterday without a spotter and got as stuck as you can get without failing.... even got the bar hooked under the pin on the way up.... 5 or 6 second rep. I yelled out "ARNOLD!" for that final burst of strength so I wouldn't embarrass myself.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Constipated posted:

Tried to do incline DB BP tonight and my thumb really didnt like that :( regular BB BP doesn't seem to bother it too much though. Probably the stupidest injury I've inflicted on myself in a many years. Deadlifting has gone surprisingly well though.

Actually when I BP I have to put my right thumb around the bar, and my left thumb up with my other fingers, or I get hand pain.

It wasn't like that when I was younger than 40. Old age isn't for cowards.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like I want to make another long, discouraging post to the resolutioners who are about to step foot in a gym for the first time, but most people don't get that it is done to help them... If they don't have the mental fortitude to tolerate a little shade, then they don't have the necessary mindset to make the changes needed to get and stay in shape. They should stick with it, prove me wrong, and in 6 month tell me to GFY. That's how how get respect in the gym.

I would like to say though that if your weight is north of 300, the gym is not your correct "step 1." Make the dietary changes first, if you can't you're just wasting your time.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Good for that guy. It takes mental strength to have that kind of commitment for real change.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Discouragement is the only motivation that works. I dare you to go to the gym and stick with it. If you need your hand held and dick sucked to get in the door, and kind words and hugs to keep going the second week, eventually people are going to get tired of holding your hand and sucking your dick to get you to take care of yourself. Lasting change only comes from within.

Tell the haters to go gently caress themselves and prove us wrong, because I think you're gonna quit.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Dum Cumpster posted:

Lol you have brain problems

You just must like people sucking your dick, lol lame.

No wait.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

89 posted:

Discouragement can be a motivation.

. I believed in tough love, but that's some kind of hosed up self loathing action going on there.

Ha, nobody who knows me would ever think I hate myself. :-D

I just think that 99℅ of resolutioners are just kidding themselves, and don't have the correct mindset to actually acheive their goals. Success rates agree with me. If they aren't ready mentally, they are wasting their time.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

89 posted:

I agree that they typically don't have the mindsets to make it happen. But, you gotta start some way, some how.

It sounded like you were getting at being jerks to them at the gym.

Absolutely not. I am a nice guy. I am just a realist, too, and in my opinion "tough love" is the way to go.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Also if i am about to fail that last rep having my spotter yell at me that I am a weak piece of poo poo not only gives me the moto to push it out, but I also get that weird boner I like.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Winnie the poo poo posted:

who gives a gently caress dude

Lots of people actually

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Winnie the poo poo posted:

so far it's just u worried about nyr washouts and everyone else itt can't wait for them to stay home so there's parking and equipment available just like the other 50 weeks of the year

Are you only reading my posts? Lots of peoples are talking about it. Dozens. Scores, even. I didn't invent the concept of Resolutioner Anxiety. Stop oppressing me.

For content, salami burrito squat dead lift.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Should be something about putting charging stations on each spot so people can sit there in their 7 minute recovery between sets and do instagrams without running down their phone battery.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Went to the gym this morning for the first time in 2017.... I noticed they had replaced the adjustable incline bench (not press, just the loose bench w/wheels for moving it around) and the declined sit-up bench. I liked the old sit-up bench, it was narrow and ratty and the adjustment pin was broken so it was stuck on "max angle" but it was padded properly and no one ever used it except me so I was always able to do millions of sit-ups whenever I wanted.

But this new sit-up bench... it's like extra-wide, for fat asses, or something. So now when I do declined sit-ups to failure, and I do 60 seconds of recovery before the next set, I can't just straddle the bench AC Slater-style like I always do, because the loving thing is so wide. For fat asses.

Christ, man.

BTW I can't do sit-ups on the floor because of a compressed disk in my lower back and when I do those it aggravates my sciatic nerves and then I can't walk for 3 days. Discovering I could still do decline sit-ups was a life saver.

Core, yo.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
In my gym there's an area (maybe 20x25 feet? and you need to leave room because peeps walk through there, but anyway) out front with big windows overlooking the pool, peeps use it to put out mats and stretch and poo poo.

Yesterday there's some new peeps.... I haven't quite figured out the dynamic. Either a 55ish-year old guy with two kids in their 20s, or the two younger ones are a married couple. Who knows. Don't care.

Anyway, yesterday the 3 of them have 3 mats fitted together in such a way that they are taking up 80% of the space, and they are doing..... I have no idea? They have a 5lb DB and they hold it up... and start by lying down flat... and they get up off the floor while holding this DB, until they are standing straight with the DB up over their head... then they reverse the process until they are again flat on their backs. And one of their group would do a full rep, and hand off the DB. Over and over.

I did my loving stretches out in the hall, without a mat since they needed 4x12 feet of padding for their... activities.... not really paying attention, just aware that they existed, taking up space.

40 minutes later I am done benching and curling and shoulder extensions, I glance in that direction, and they are still loving there, doing the same loving thing.

Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GRILLARY CLINTON posted:

sounds like turkish getups? pretty good exercise maybe you should ask them if they can teach you

And at the same time I could teach them about sharing the space. Hmmm, interesting idea.