Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
I enjoy that corncobbing is in the OP now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

We had a Senator get the poo poo beaten out of him with a cane way back when, c'mon now.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I've read a lot about how due to the problems with attributing attacks to skilled hacker groups with any accuracy, everyone focuses on attacking, rather than defense. As a result, US cyberdefense is not good.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

The Glumslinger posted:

Its also that you can attack with a single group (the nsa), but you have to defend every server in the country. Which requires money, so states are still running all of their poo poo on windows ME because lol at money going to IT infrastructure for upgrades.

And companies too, because people and companies get (understandably) really really mad when the intelligence agencies want to take a look to investigate or whatnot.

Unlike China, because corporations there are in bed with the government anyways.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Furnaceface posted:

This is why you still hear stories of politicians losing laptops, USB sticks and loving floppy disks with vital information on them. :negative:

People are really really dumb. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Didn't Assange dox people who were homosexual in VERY HOSTILE TO LGBTQ AREAS?

Saudi Arabia, right?

What the gently caress was his justification for that?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Epic High Five posted:

Remember when hr outed a bunch of gay Saudis and released the info of every women in Afghanistan? Man glad he's curating these releases so carefully for maximum harm to governments lmao

oh hey there we go then

what a fucker

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Okay is ANYONE else getting redirected often to the wrong loving threads when you click "see new posts" in a given thread?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I think she has no principles because she got us involved in a ton of horrible poo poo that killed people. Not just Iraq but Libya. NYTimes said she was the main proponent for intervention there that seems to have led to a chaotic "failed state."

Also my next point is connected with this:

It's not all just typical Right Wing bullshit. There are plenty of liberals out there who absolutely hate her. Liberals who have actually argued that Hillary never cared about gays or transgender people until it was convenient to support them. Maybe I bought into that and it was all propaganda. but those are the most important domestic issues to me since I see the kind of poo poo some of my friends have to put up with and that whole transgender bathrooms crap pisses me off.

Maybe she has just simply changed her mind over the years.. But I am that cynical "they're all just liars and cheats" type of person. This would be the first election I voted for in my entire life. I've done the best I can to research stuff.

But man this thread moves so fast, way faster than any other thread I ever post on in here. Sorry if I missed anything.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/hillary-clinton-was-liberal-hillary-clinton-is-liberal/

Her voting record. Or I guess she could've just been pandering for the cause of her career right? Right??

Edit: gently caress I wonder how many people would've decried the administrations if they had never gone into interventions. Hell Clinton gets shat on for not intervening in Rwanda, which was an awful thing. Goddamn. Turns out life is hard.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 6, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I mean there are plenty of liberals who actually think the primaries were rigged.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

CHIP was just one of the first stepping stones on Hillary's path to powergrabbing ambition.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Covok posted:

Good litmus test for whether people investigate claims or just read headlines.

gently caress I believed it for a while.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I'm holding out hope. Just yesterday I had no idea who Julian Assange was. Maybe this was all just the most amazing and fortuitous timing.

Probably not but ya know, what do I have to lose. I already don't like Hillary.

Wait. You were hoping that Assange DID drop some sort of bomb to destroy Hillary's campaign?

NikkolasKing posted:

It's not all just typical Right Wing bullshit. There are plenty of liberals out there who absolutely hate her. Liberals who have actually argued that Hillary never cared about gays or transgender people until it was convenient to support them. Maybe I bought into that and it was all propaganda. but those are the most important domestic issues to me since I see the kind of poo poo some of my friends have to put up with and that whole transgender bathrooms crap pisses me off.

How does that make any sense when you want the best for your gay and transgender friends? Because Pence and Trump will not be better, I assure you.

Edit: "What do I have to lose." ???? ???????? It's not just about what you have to lose.

Artificer fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Oct 6, 2016

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

That was something I was doing till about June, yes. Then I figured everybody wouldn't shut up about this election for a reason and looked up what I could with Google-Fu.

Of course there are. I was just trying to say I don't care about "emailgate" or "Benghazi" or other Right Wing insanity. I'm perhaps uninformed but I'm not quite ready to start following Infowars.

And I think it was stuff like Washington Post or Slate that talked about her changing views on gay rights.

Okay geez, I'm sorry. I saw it on C-SPAN where she declared marriage was a thing only between a man and a woman. I guess that's old and outdated now.

Gadaffi was in power for decades. Sadly, I don't think most people gave a poo poo about Libya. I freely admit that I wasn't overly concerned with it either. I was too focused on personal poo poo for a long time and I want to fix that.

I'm gonna go watch The Choice now like was recommended to me. It looks interesting but it's long and I guess I'll be gone a while. Thank you for not all jumping down my throat. I don't mind being corrected when I'm wrong but dogpiling turns everyone off I think, right or wrong.

Sorry for being a little acerbic. Politics gets me really riled up.

Edit: I would like you to explain your comments about Assange destroying Clinton's campaign and how that jives with your care for your friends' well being.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

Okay geez, I'm sorry. I saw it on C-SPAN where she declared marriage was a thing only between a man and a woman. I guess that's old and outdated now.

Please explain your thought process where you stated that you don't like Hillary and hoped that Assange had a bomb to drop on her reputation, and yet at the same time you want the best for your gay/transgender friends.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

His thought process is that he's racist misogynist trash and he eats attention for food. If the spelling were worse I'd assume Trump figured out how to open Chrome on his phone.

Someone else posted that he was posting in good faith. He might be...terribly misinformed. But let's see if he can walk us through his thought process.

Edit: I don't hold a lot of confidence that he isn't a troll, but sure let's give this one thing a shot.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

No gently caress that, there's no such thing as "good faith" bigotry.

Alright, fair. I'd at least like to see if he can come up with any explanation then.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I have no idea how to reconcile things like this with my opposition to the death penalty. I sincerely wish we'd taken Bin Laden alive and put him on trial, but maybe I'm naive. What would that trial even have been, could it possibly have been fair, would there have been any verdict but death at the end of it anyway.

I don't want to live in a country that assassinates anyone, but the more I learn about foreign policy the more I realize there are decisions my understanding couldn't possibly be adequate to make.

I do not envy anyone who has to make any foreign policy decisions other than "yes we will let reese's cups be sold in the UK."

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't like Hillary and thus was mildly interested in the entirely remote possibility Assange had something on her. I already said I had no intention to vote because I didn't like either one and that my vote wouldn't matter. Apparently I was wrong about that.

I don't want Trump to be president mainly due to the fact he's an idiotic, narrow-minded jackass. You have people predicting literal fascism here in America and World War III. Isn't our government set up to protect against those kinds of things? The myth the president is all-powerful has been discussed and debunked in this very thread. The Congress is where the power lies.

Let me ask you this. If Trump became president, do I genuinely need to worry for the safety of my gay friends? I know some of you are saying I'm a troll but if there is a real chance the alarmism about Trump is genuine, I will absolutely make sure to vote for Clinton. My word may not be much but I mean it.

YES. JESUS gently caress. The PRESIDENT nominates SUPREME COURT JUSTICES. The GOP has shown that they cannot control Trump. They're going to bend over backwards for the fucker.

Turns out a bunch of people thinking their votes doesn't matter DOES MATTER. And also someone did mention its a referendum basically on Trump Discourse.

MILDLY INTERESTED? You literally posted that you were HOLDING OUT HOPE.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

HOLDING OUT HOPE =/= I'm merely mildly interested in this thing.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Bill Clinton inspired me to pick up the saxophone when I was little.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I might be a troll or an idiot but I know all too well what these kinds of monsters do. I was hoping - praying? - that the Religious Right was dying. Trump seemed to have split them as much as he did other Republicans.

So I'm sorry to the transgender or homosexual posters here for being ignorant. Maybe that doesn't mean much but I hope you can believe I will be voting for Clinton.

Cool.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

tell your friends to vote

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

I would eat that cake. How much is it?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Islam is the Lite Rock FM posted:

What cake wouldn't you eat?

Yellowcake.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh good. It turns out I just happen to know a bunch of crazy Asians.

Of course does it say that they're holding their noses and voting for Trump anyways because gently caress the gays? I wonder how many of them will do that.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Asian-Americans don't have the same experience in the modern US that African-Americans, Latin-Americans, and Middle Eastern-Americans do. In the modern political climate they're virtually honorary white people by and large, though there are exceptions like that ad from the other day.

Oh yes. Additionally, I was wondering about how many of those Asians outraged about the ad immediately turned around and agreed that banning Muslims/gently caress affirmative action and provide no substitions were good and proper ideas.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Yep. That's one of the potential cracks in the DNC - a lot of racial minorities tend to be strongly conservative in most respects, especially social issues. Except for the matter of racism (and religious prejudice in the case of Muslims). Some of these minorities were once solid and reliable GOP voting blocs (Muslims IIRC voted consistently for the GOP at rates upwards of 90% until 9/11 and now are just as consistent voting blue - take a wild guess why), and have been driven into the arms of the DNC by how violently xenophobic the GOP has become.

Problem for the GOP is, everyone sane enough to realize this problem and think they need to seriously curb the racism and court those minorities back into the fold gets primaried by the Tea Party.

Evangelical Asians for one don't care about the xenophobia. So once again evangelicals are the worst.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

lozzle posted:

For a deep blue state, California sure does have some terrible ballot initiatives.

Then again, I guess I shouldn't throw stones since my state outlawed affirmative action as the result of a ballot initiative. :sigh:

So did we in CA, for public universities.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

http://nyti.ms/2dzYOjS

http://nyti.ms/2dGHeww

Christ what a goddamn mess we have in Syria. You guys have any thoughts on this?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Yeah, Putin is a real loving monster and directly responsible for most of this. We put up the canvas with our fuckery in Iraq and Russia has been happily painting it in blood.

I don't know what Obama could've done. I'm not very familiar on the issue to be honest.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Eifert Posting posted:

Holy poo poo, Pakistan made honor killing a punishable offense regardless of the opinion of the murderer's family. :woop:

loving FINALLY. Now to stop them from getting little kids to do the dirty work for them. Or to pressure them into suicide.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Trabisnikof posted:

When will America learn to let Russia prop up dictatorships in peace?

For one the red line threat should either have never been made, or should've been acted on in some vaguely tangible fashion.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Nessus posted:

Because the left wing doesn't want to hear any war noises and the right wing wishes Putin was in charge over here in all his manly, queer-bashing glory.

Don't intervene: get shat on for letting atrocities take place. Intervene: get blamed for a costly military quagmire.

Yeah I mean sure military interventions are often really poorly thought out (no exit strategies lol) but Jesus Christ what a mess.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

comingafteryouall posted:

The little girl from Aleppo's twitter in one of the NY Times opinion pieces posted earlier is brutal :smith:

https://twitter.com/AlabedBana

It's the most depressing poo poo.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Pakistan also passed new anti-rape laws, including death penalty for raping minors and the disabled, and also pressing forward on the use of DNA in rape cases. Previously a lot of clergy had been against DNA evidence for rape since Islamic law requires multiple eyewitnesses instead.

Do note that a lot of the really reactionary Pakistani laws (like ones that went easy on honor killings) are relatively recent, as Pakistan went hardcore right and religious in the 1980s-1990s when the government made a lot of concessions to win the support of the religious. It's easy to mistake some of this stuff for long-standing backwardness, but a lot of countries with currently really religious-influenced laws used to be a lot more secular. Yet another reason the "West vs East" arguments a lot of bigots buy into are so damaging, they push people into interpreting progressive values as a foreign arrack and empower reactionaries.

Oh yeah absolutely. Religious conservatist backlash has cropped in in places like Bangladesh and Lebanon as well iirc so. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

On Terra Firma posted:

This is heartbreaking not because it's a little girl on twitter in the middle of a warzone, but it's that there were thousands of other little girls out there they're all dead.

I don't even know what in the gently caress we could do to fix that. I remember reading a few pages ago about how foreign policy decisions are so complex that most of us couldn't handle making them, but Syria is something else entirely. :(

There's a lot of innocent people loving dead, and somehow global violence on the whole is decreasing, last I heard. Somehow. :(

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

DICKS FOR DINNER posted:

I'm pissed Nintendo took the pussy-grabbing mini-game out of Fates

Try blowing harder next time.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Night10194 posted:

Reminder: The GOP did absolutely no oppo research on Trump while trying to stop him.

WAIT REALLY?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

quote this post if you're a cia operative

• Locked thread