Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

straight up brolic posted:

Farage is a moron that people outside of England somehow think is an intelligent and effective politician because of brexit and his accent

This is actually kind of insane though?

Like Farage spent his entire career trying to force the UK to leave the EU. Promised up a storm.

As soon as it did, he immediately went and started talks with Russia about working for RT, which is 100% part of the Russian government.

For all the laughs we had about Manafort working for papa Putin and coming by to try and get Trump a win, it seems mighty odd shortly afterwards we had another person that's suspected of working for Putin trying to weasel his way into Trump's campaign to "help" him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Night10194 posted:

The thing to remember about Farage is he tried to play 4th dimensional chess and get Brexit close to winning but still have it fail so he could run on being denied in the future. The second it actually won he was basically the dog that caught the car and had to resign and run for the hills, like most pro-Brexit politicians.

No that was Boris.

Farage was the one who left England, and then suddenly and mysteriously got several job offers from the Russian government that'd have him set for life.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
The irony of that quote is that barista/server are the two jobs you can take without a degree that regularly pay $18-$22ish out of the gate.

I've stuck with barista for 6 years now, and am nearing the $30ish mark. I still only work 5 hours days.

I am very happy thank you. I got to watch my friends go into debt, and I'm going to pay for my entire college experience out of pocket.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

fool_of_sound posted:

Where the hell are you working, cause I was making $9/hour when I was a barrista.

Seattle. Minimum was $9, now $12 ( will be $15 soon. ). You average about $5 more per day in tips ( honestly more if you work in a good shop, but I'm counting bad shops here. ).

Servers get an even better deal, and usually average between $8-$12 a day in tips on top of their wages.

The one bartender I actually know that lives here averages $30ish, and she's only been at it for two years. But that has huge burnout just due to being a bartender.

It HEAVILY depends on the state/area though. As Endorph said, it might not be quite the way out for some thanks to lovely bosses doing illegal poo poo. Also quite a few states allow businesses to pay their employees up to minimum counting tips which doesn't allow the gain.

The irony is the people I work with are all severe alcoholics, so while they are making the $18-$25 range, they still can't pay rent because they spend so much of it on booze and drugs. Same with all the servers I know. Getting livable wages per paycheck doesn't seem to stop people from living beyond their means very well.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Oct 2, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Party Plane Jones posted:

Isn't Seattle and the surrounding area basically the area where bikini-clad barista drive-throughs are obscenely popular (and usually also involved in some light prostitution rings on the side)

I'd put that up there with bartenders in terms of "You'll probably be making $30-$40 an hour, but your soul will die for it." so not sure that's really a similar situation. But yes that happens a lot. Not in Seattle proper since I think? it's illegal, but mainly in the outskirts.

e: Yeah I just checked. If you live in Washington, Oregon, Nevada, California, Alaska, Guam?, Montana, and Minnesota the law requires you get full minimum wage plus tips.

Everywhere else is hosed! Don't live in everywhere else!

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 2, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Oh so it's fanfiction then.

Reminder, we can actually see if the US asks other countries for extradition rights ( because we need to press charges and we.....haven't ), and they've never given a single poo poo about Assange. The Swedes are the only ones that ever wanted him, and they only wanted to talk to him about the rape charges. Which by the way they offered multiple times to go visit the Embassy to meet with him in person to serve him, so he'd never have to leave the Embassy, and he told them to go gently caress off, and that he was such a gift to women he couldn't have raped them, because his dick is magical.

That entire article reads like straight up fanfiction, especially considering that's exactly the sort of poo poo Wikileaks has tried to paint itself as for years ( THE US IS TOTALLY AFTER US BECAUSE WE ARE HITTING IT TO THEM SO HARD!!!!!!! .....why has USsenpai not cared about us at all yet!! ). I highly doubt people in the State Department use "drone" as a verb like that, and I'm also going to highly doubt anybody suggested a drone attack on a target in the UK, because that'd be incredibly obvious to everyone around what had happen, would draw us into a conflict with the UK/Ecuador, and cause all sorts of other problems. If we really wanted Assange dead we have better tools like poison/accidents that wouldn't cause everyone in the world to hate us.

Like I have to believe Wikileaks ( something I don't really believe anymore ), got confidential data suggesting Hillary Clinton uses terms like "let's drone that guy dawg." in common parlance, and then despite years of working delicate politics decided the best way of dealing with a target on allied soil was a very obvious drone strike. Even though despite Wikileaks constant attempts to yell about how relevant they are, the US has not shown a single sign they care in the slightest about Wikileaks. And even in this theoretical situation, Hillary Clinton and the State Department should be intelligent enough to realize killing Assange wouldn't actually stop Wikileaks because other people run the site/filter the information, it'd just martyr him? And we likely have entire gameplans set up on how not to make martyrs?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Radish posted:

Yeah if this is some larger strategy to flub a debate that doesn't really matter in order to create a larger narrative around the Hillary campaign at large that's really cool but I think it's more likely not the case. I guess we'll see what happens but I think debate two is what everyone is already getting excited for. In a normal election Pence doing unexpectedly well would probably be really great but when Trump is around he really steals the spotlight no matter what is going on.

Also that's real dumb for 2020/2024/2028.

Pence wants his career to keep going, and has the skill to match those ambitions, unlike other Republicans. Giving him a huge boost of credibility is not something the Democrats should be doing, especially for a few more sucker punches on Trump, who lost a long time ago.

If he can unite the Republican old guard and the Trumpsters in 2020 or 2024, that could be a real problem.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Two millennial coworkers have called me in the last hour asking how to register to vote in Washington.

This might be enough to actually ignite that generation into voting. And voting downticket. :getin:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Stereotype posted:

I knew that buying big on Hillary two weeks ago when they were tied in polls was a good move.

I put $5k on Hillary before the conventions. I'm on top of the loving world right now yo.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

quote:

A source told AP that Trump’s running mate, Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, was “beside himself,” and Pence’s wife was furious.

quote:

Ryan said Trump would not be appearing with him at a scheduled event in Wisconsin. Pence will be attending in Trump’s place.

He's pivoting guys! Right into the alt right.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Roland Jones posted:

That he's going there (and still part of the campaign at all really), and that Ryan's allowing him to come rather than telling him to get hosed, shows that the denouncements and chastisements from most Republicans are just for show. They had to say something here or get brought down too, but they're not going to do anything.

Err, no. Read the piece.

Ryan and Priebus disinvited Trump to a rally. Instead they've now invited PENCE.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

trash person posted:

Trump referring to Obama as a 'friend of the family' on video would be impactful with independent/undecided voters.

Obama's favorability rating is decently high right now

People don't seem to realize what the Republicans rely on.

Silent, institutionalized racism isn't the same thing as blatant racism. It's really easy to say "Oh, I just don't like the blacks on welfare." "Oh, it was dark and he had a hoodie". "Oh that's a bad neighborhood, that's why that happened.". Yes, everything I just said is racism, but it's silent. It's not loud, and it's something you can say without feeling bad/racist. You "aren't"! You've got "good" black friends, you just don't like the "thug" minorities.

Thing is, these people are racist, but they aren't card carrying KKK members. They pride themselves on being modern and forward thinking. If you work hard, your skin color doesn't matter! If you live in my neighborhood/are a good neighbor, your skin color doesn't matter! Etc etc. They say these things because of institutional racism/how they were raised more then an actual distaste or dislike of minorities.

Not a single one of these people would ever say the word friend of the family. They'd be horrified if they heard it, and would turn on anyone who said it as being a racist. They'd disassociate with that person as quickly as possible.

If someone finds a video of Trump saying friend of the family, we take the House.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

trash person posted:

"Mr. Trump. I've appreciated your stance on illegal immigrants. I'm wondering what your process would be in deporting them. Would you grab them by their pussies?"

"Mr. Trump. How exactly do you plan to grab a pussy with your small hands?"

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

davecrazy posted:

Jokes on us when Russian hackers fix the ballot in 30 states.

I imagine this is fixed by the fact Obama is still President after the election ends, and can get the DHS to investigate this.

Trumpers might throw a fit, but if the evidence is there ( and it would be ) there isn't much they can do.

Also the fact that 33 states are currently working with the DHS to beef up their security, so.....no.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

The Rokstar posted:

I'm not super afraid of alt-right violence affecting me personally because I live in one of the enemy strongholds of godless Commiefornia. It's going to get really ugly in some parts of the country though.

I live in Seattle!

I'm going down to Mississippi on November 20th.

I'm going to die!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
My home state ( Minnesota ), and adopted state ( Washington ) being loving blue as hell in every single one of these graphs is very heartening.

If only white men vote? Both stay blue. If only white men between the age of 30-60 vote? Both stay blue. If only white men who've run a business vote? Both stay blue.

You cannot come up with a fake map that turns these states Red. It's great, I love it.

e: I'm pretty sure my downballot options are also D vs D, or at worst D vs I. It's real nice.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Banana Man posted:

Good god. Get sick for a few days and 2000+ posts. What'd I miss in the last hmmm 3 days?

Trump is getting Bill Cosbyed as dozens of women come out with stories to back up the claims he's a rapey gently caress.

He could have apologized and moved past it. Instead he's sent his surrogates/himself to declare that he would only sexually assault women that rate 9/10, and all these accusers are ugly. His surrogates are also now claiming that it's perfectly normal to sexually assault women, and the liberals are just prudes. That consent is a lie, and the liberals are trying to send in the "rape police" to stop normal Republican men from feeling up their property. Oh, and that they would also gently caress their daughter/their daughters friends if they could because have you seen underage girls? No wonder Trump can't keep his hands off them!

Needless to say Trump signs are disappearing across the country, which is bad news for Mr. Trump as Latino/Muslim registrations go up 20-50% this year.

The crazy lady that runs the black women for Trump front declared she couldn't do it anymore and went full blast on Conway for being a traitor to women everywhere.

Obama and Michelle went full blast on the Republican party for enabling poo poo like this/being the cause of this. Pretty much all Republicans were forced to realize that yeah, they kind of were, and nobody was able to come up with a coherent defense against it outside of "Yeah.....".

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

You know, before this election I thought anti-Semitism was mostly for old people, while people of my generation and below only talked about it as a joke. Were there always lots of young anti-Semites and I didn't know it?

Lets run some numbers.

On average, 50% of Americans vote.

Of those 50%, Trump is getting 30%-40%. So lets go further.

If we compare that between the general and the primary, of that, only 4%! of that 30% actually pushed Trump in the Primaries. The other 26% only jumped on board after it hit the general and he became the nominee. Of that 26%, let's be generous to Trump and say......only 10% are just voting for the single ticket issues ( Supreme Court/Abortion ) and are holding their noses at the idea of Trump. It's probably higher, but I'm trying to boost Trumps appeal here for you a bit.

So of his 30% of the voting public ( which is already what, 15% of all Americans ), only 16% actually legitimately think Trump is their savior. Which brings his actual numbers down to 9%-12% of Americans are irredeemable shitlords.

Now let's take into account the "Master Persuader" bullshit. This is the year the altright becomes normalized right? Channers everywhere are registering to vote, and they'll swarm the election to pull it for him. Except district to district, the only groups that are seeing any sort of registration spike are Muslims and Latinos, to the tune of 20%-30%. Whites are actually seeing heavily depressed turnout, to the tune of 12%-15%.

In short, your average American isn't a shitbird. It's just that 10% 4chan crowd being real loud.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

boner confessor posted:

if he leaves he could be arrested for extradition but there stopped being a visible police presence outside the embassy a while ago so who knows if he's imprisoned himself or what

No he couldn't.

The US has never charged or questioned Sweden or the UK about Assange. All of this is public record, we can look this up.

Without having charged him/asked about the possibility of extradition, Assange is perfectly safe outside of the embassy. Sweden wants to talk to him about his rape charges ( where he pulled the condom off while having sex with a few women, and then claimed it wasn't rape because the sex was initially consensual and he "needs to spread his seed as he is a genius.". ), but the worst case scenario for him right now legally is he gets sent to Sweden and sent to Swedish prison for a few months.

The grooming changes this, but up until that point the only threat Assange faced was his own paranoid delusions of how boogeymen would kidnap him and take him to Gitmo despite his public persona/how utterly illegal that is.

Realize, he lived happily outside the Embassy for several months/years after the Iraq/NSA leaks that caused the US to "want to kill him". It wasn't until Sweden wanted to talk to him about the rape charges did he flee to the Embassy.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Ironically, Chris Wallace is registered as a Democrat in a state that doesn't allow you to vote for the other parties candidate.

aka Chris Wallace is voting Hillary despite working for Fox.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That was the end of Trump's campaign. Right there.

That happened awhile back.

That was the Senate locking Dem, and the House going 50% chance. Nobody wants to vote for a guaranteed loser, and Trump now is one. This will depress Republican voter turnout bad.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Lot of Bad Hombres and Nasty Women.

More importantly, lots of white men voting D.

aka Trump is fuuuuuuuuuuucked.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

flashman posted:

One of what exactly? Do you disagree with what was posted?

I feel like the comparison loses alot of similarities as Germany was the invading forces in WW2. However German arms are celebrated widely for their proficiency and effectiveness in much of the WW2 media presented today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_Unionist

Huge amounts of Southerners went North to fight for the Union. More still refused to fight for the Confederacy.

The idealized "fighting for their rights/homes!" bullshit is a myth. A bullshit myth, on par with the clean Wehrmacht myth. The people who pushed for the Civil War pushed for the Civil War due to a desire to keep their business interests running at the expense of the people living in the Southern States. The people supporting the Civil War supported it due to racial divides, and a strongheld belief in slavery. Across all the diaries/info we've kept of the Civil War, we haven't found a single Confederate soldier source admitting they didn't agree with the CSA's goals.

The entire ideal of "states rights" only began to be pushed during the Reconstruction Era as an out for the many useful people that joined the CSA that were willing to rejoin the Union.

Brave Southerners that disagreed with slavery existed. They moved North or kept their mouths shut though.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

drat, I did not know that!

Wiki posted:

She married John Janeway, an officer in the 14th Illinois Cavalry, in 1927 when she was 18 and he 81.

:stonk:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

PhazonLink posted:

Well the president is inaugurated on Jan 20(?) so yeah?

Also what happens if something bad happens after she wins? (Hello FBI/ Secret Service, I'm voting grandma, I'm just asking what if hypothetical deplorable donnie voters do something bad.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_line_of_succession

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Nessus posted:

I'm actually unsure on what happens if the president-elect perishes due to illness or meteor strike prior to being inaugurated. Is there a law in place for this purpose? The obvious thing is "the Vice President-elect is inaugurated as the President" but perhaps there's some hinky detail here. But in all odds it would mean Pres. Kaine (hopefully the Demon, not Corporate)

If the President Elect is killed before being sworn in, the party is able to choose their successor. In this case it'd likely be Kaine because that's the easiest choice, and Kaine would get to choose a new VP. Technically it could be anyone. This operates exactly the same as if she was to die on the campaign trail, the party would be allowed to choose her successor ( and it'd be Kaine because again, easier/would be safer for the chance of vote. ).

After she's sworn in as President, it'd go Kaine > Speaker > Senate Pres > Cabinet from order of creation.

There is also the process of Designated Survivor, in which the President chooses 1-2 people from the line of succession and forces them to live/exist in different areas from the rest of the line, just in case of an attack on the entire line of succession. For Obama the last was https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeh_Johnson our Secretary of Homeland Security. We don't know the current Designated Survivor for obvious reasons.

Do not worry, the US government is remarkably well adapted to it's leadership getting wiped out. It's got multiple contingency plans for it. It's also had to deal with it a few times now, and the country was fine.

e: Also a deplorable attacking/hurting Hillary would more then lose the election for Trump. Outright violence is inherently against everything we stand for in our democracy.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 23, 2016

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Doing my ballot right now for Washington state. ( MAIL IN BALLOT IS THE BEST THING. )

I like as I Ballotpedia each of these people, even all my Republicans are 100% behind Abortion is a woman's choice, weed should be legal, and the Affordable Health Care Act is important ( just needs to be modified to make slightly more sense. ).

It is nice living in a sane state, let me tell you.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

loving Washington don't give a gently caress.

Minnesota also barely cares, it just wants you to hurry the gently caress up in the booth. Don't take multiple selfies with your vote.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

TBF, I've gotten reamed on this very forum, in this very thread, for not wanting to vote for Hillary because of SC issues. It's a good line for triangulation when people have to defend suboptimal candidates.

I'd be curious to hear why.

Like it or not, every single movement the Republicans champion is dying off. Pro-Choice is becoming more and more popular by the year, and more and more toxic for the party to be supporting. First amendment, bathrooms, gay marriage, etc etc, none of that will stick for very long. Hell, even voter suppression can only work for so long, and will eventually kill the party off as the whites die off and get replaced by angrier and angrier minorities.

Even if they get a BIG WIN now, it doesn't matter. In 5 years, 10 years, 15 years, 20 years when more judges die off, when more whites die, the SC will go Blue again and any laws they pass will be stricken out. The absolute best you can hope for is 10-15 years of abortion being illegal ( which literally everyone on every side admits is a nightmare because women will just go to Canada/Mexico like they did before, or do the abortions themselves in their own homes. This would also 100% kill the Republican party as they'd fully lose the female vote/would have to deal with massive female turnout from people who don't vote normally, and we've all seen the map for how that pans out. ).

Like there isn't a future for anything a Republican SC would want to push. They best they can hope for is a few years of their ideology, but their ideology is so toxic and regressive their victory would utterly terminate the party, and that'd all get pushed back. Unless of course they use the Supreme Court to completely remove our Democracy, in which case I'd hope that's not something you want to support either.

Not even talking about Hillary. Is it worth it to sacrifice your dignity to vote for a buffoon for what amounts to basically nothing? I mean gently caress, we are replacing Scalia here, he was already a Republican. This isn't a big win in any sense of the word, at best you reset a Status Quo that was going to be toppled anyways when the next few judges die, as by that point the white vote won't be enough to keep even the House for the Republicans.

At a certain point, I'd imagine personal pride matters more then what amounts for a third party vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

FlamingLiberal posted:

I'm really not sure why Johnson is even running. Every time I see him in an interview he acts like he doesn't have to answer questions or treats the questions like a 5 year old would.

As someone said earlier.

The irony of this situation is that McMullin in 3 months has done more for himself then the Libs/Greens have done in the past 50 years. He's not going to win the election obviously, but he might win a single state.

Neither party wants to win anything. They just want to play politics, pretending to be more important then they actually are for the sake of it.

There are hundreds of elections across the country between two lovely people. Dozens with one sided fights against Dems or Reps that have literally nothing going for them, that are just running for the sake of it. In not a single one of these downticket races do you see Libs or Greens. If they actually gave any sort of poo poo about the process, they'd be pushing for these spots across the board, to normalize their party/get further pull in the political landscape. And these are the gains that translate well into pushing a Presidential candidate higher then 5% in actual elections, and give you the legitimacy you'd need to appear at debates/have a Primary.

Johnson and Stein don't want to win. They want to be respected, and loving good luck with that.

• Locked thread