Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

People I know have been often vaguely astounded when I explained to them that the US is about one-third non-whites now, compared to Britain's 9% or 10%. Frankly I think a lot of other people forget that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Jesus, the article itself sounds almost gleeful about this rise of Facism. That's weird, isn't it?
There's this sort of glee in prediction of horrible things which often comes through, I think it's from the feeling of cleverness in making this Astute Assessment of Inevitable Future Trends.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eugene V. Dabs posted:

Almost 40% non-white now, actually. So an even bigger gap from Euro countries.
Yeah? I'd heard like 33%, but I expect the gap could adequately be explained by counting a slice of the Hispanic population in a different way.

I mean that's the thing, America HAS successfully resisted fascism in the past.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

iospace posted:

To be completely and utterly fair to Gary Johnson, he is the second most qualified person running for president. It's Hillary >>>>>>>> Johnson >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> McMuffin > Stein > Trump, give or take a few >s
You left out Harambe

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I'm starting to think these guys are just completely lying about what 'fiduciary duty' means to try and make shithead CEO behavior some kind of cosmic inevitability.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mr Interweb posted:

It's just a little weird that he's still trying to hide the tax rate since he constantly brags that being able to pay as little as possible is what makes him a brilliant businessman.
I imagine the core concern is that people could realize he's paying nearly no taxes - which he could brag about - on something that is merely in the tens of millions in terms of actual personal wealth that isn't sunk into a building or a loan from a Russian mobster - which he couldn't. If Trump's personal fortune is in the neighborhood of "won Powerball" instead of "yuge, luxurious," he loses his entire image.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Ciaphas posted:

Do we know who leaked the taxes to NYT?
One guess is Marla Maples. She was also on those forms and if she said "Yes, I release them" I believe the Donald can't do poo poo nor dick about it, at least not in a timeframe of "before the election."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Just haven't cut taxes low enough yet

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

I do have to wonder if it's a provable fact that this is hands down the most unpopular selection of candidates in presidential history like I've heard some claim. It seems possible. Liberals don't think Clinton represents them (I'd say they're right but whatever) and Conservatives don't think Trump represents them(they're also right but at the same time they don't even represent actual conservatism anymore). I can't imagine this is just going to go away. Come 2020, those Hillary haters will still be there unless she pulls off some miracle while in office.

I wonder, does Bernie intend to run again? If not, are there any other more liberal Dems willing to run?
Bernie is old so I figure probably not.

I'd say the election where the winning candidate wasn't on the ballot for half the country was probably a bit worse though :v:

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

sharkbomb posted:

No one would use a community armory-- the point of having a firearm in your home (for a lot of people) is that it is readily available if some crazy poo poo goes down in an emergency. Just spitballing, I'm not a gun owner.
I don't think it would even go that far, they'd all perceive it as the government wanting you to turn your guns in so they can confiscate them and melt them down for dildos and buttplugs for gay black Communist welfare moms on crack. Also food stamps.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I recall reading in some thread about rent control not working and being part of loony leftist economic theory. Maybe they were referring to something similar to it but a different word? Or possibly city-wide/state-wide/nation-wide rent control?
Do you believe there are purposes to economic or social activities other than enriching property owners?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Liquid Communism posted:

Look, let's be honest. I don't know if you've ever been suicidal, or dealt with suicidal people, but the sole and only thing that is going to prevent someone who is determined to kill themselves is confinement to a controlled environment with near constant observation. Suicide is -easy-. A trigger lock or safe that takes ten seconds to unlock isn't going to stop someone.
You're actually kind of wrong here. Or rather, you're probably right about someone with severe suicidal ideation etc. But I believe there is strong evidence that even marginal interference with the methods of offing yourself can greatly reduce the number of suicides, sort of like how door locks and poo poo won't deter a REALLY DETERMINED thief - but will make it a less attractive, and riskier, option.

The idea here is that someone who is in a real bad place can kill themselves very easily with a gun in a very short period of time, while poisoning or stabbing themselves or whatever requires more effort.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think they almost hit a good idea. Why not offer guaranteed work at elementary schools for newly separated veterans where they can help kids with arts and crafts projects and Tee-Ball games? Keep them far away from guns of course, but I think it'd help them get reconnected to the world while they reintegrate with society.
"Guaranteed work" for veterans? Can we get some spongeing layers of contractors in there so we can funnel more money into the pockets of GOP donors, somehow?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

patonthebach posted:

Can someone explain what this October Surprise thing is to someone that isnt American?
I think it actually happened once, but basically our elections are fixed by statute instead of being called more or less whenever or "at least every X years" etc. So it's meant to describe some dramatic information that comes in just in time to gently caress up the election - which can be meaningful since if it's RIGHT Before the election, an obvious falsehood might not be disproven or the like in time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

disjoe posted:

CNN literally just rated Kaine's claim that Trump thinks all Mexicans are bad as false

He said they're rapists, yeah, but not BAD
I assume this is on the strength of "some of them, I assume, are good people."

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

Again, tuned out. What was The Mexican Thing?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

CelestialScribe posted:

Did you read the final paragraph?
OK, chicken little, what is the negative thing we should worry about even if the Russians are in fact building disaster shelters out in Moscow.

Explain that one to me. Explain why we should be afraid of that. Maybe use short, quizzical questions and act harried at the very thought while you're at it.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Phone posted:

Uh oh, Trump is upping his average reading level language from 3rd grade to 5th grade. This is the pivot!!!!
Going after those educated dames, I see.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Sounds like the implicit national assumption here is that business owner authority matters more than democracy, which is, at least, unusually honest and consistent for the right

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Voyager I posted:

Low-end jobs still work holidays.

We could just have voting take place across a timespan > 1 day so it would be easier for people with schedules to make time for it instead of having every poor person in the country trying to get let out early on the same afternoon.
And risk letting the mudsills and greasy mechanics overcome the judgment of wise, educated white men of wealth and leisure?!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I imagine a lot of this is people not wanting to say "I will vote for Hitlery Killton, who I have been programmed to believe is the Devil". This seems to be an ongoing theological crisis for a ton of people.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Well that's their god damned problem and when on Election Day their "Silent Majority" doesn't come through and they lose by 8 points I hope their hearts explode.
Unfortunately it is all of our problems, which is why it behooves us to be gentle with them

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Mr.Radar posted:

Seems to have. Check out this article from him about the Facebook "censorship" scandal from earlier this year and his calling out of the hypocrisy of his fellow right-wing mediaites in the solutions they were proposing.
Considering all the breitbart headlines about bullshit I see on that dumb platform lately, I believe they accomplished their actual goal quite nicely.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I figure when people say "Republican" they're talking about the modern incarnation - Abe Lincoln would've been a Democrat in ideological terms, I believe, if we translate them to the modern day.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Crow Jane posted:

Governor Hogan of Maryland isn't completely awful, for a Republican. He's at least on record saying he has no plans to support Trump. I still kinda hate him, though.

I've never understood why we keep electing Republican governors, the state is otherwise deep blue. At least they're mostly pretty centrist.
My guess is that all the deplorables team up and the Democrats stay home during governor elections.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Instant Sunrise posted:

yeah as a woman who supported sanders i don't recall anything from the clinton campaign that made it sound like they expected us to fall in line for her
I think Madeline Albright said something rude/ignorant?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Hannity is obviously going to go to the Trump Network, but it'd be funny if Trump doesn't intend to actually do that and Hannity hosed himself over for nothing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

So for the people with realistic political foresight, is there any chance one of the parties will just be replaced/displaced by a third party? Or is it more likely that a third party and demographic will just become popular and merge into Democrats/Republicans and turn those parties into something else?
There will never be a magical and sacred third party introducing nebulous good things and making everyone cooperate, ever. Homey don't play that. A third party could well arise but it seems likely that it would then either be absorbed by one of the big two, or, if one of the current big two were imploding hard enough for whatever reason, absorb them.

Like, if hypothetically speaking the Republican party keeps loving that chicken and their base starts dying off while they make no efforts to change their ways in the slightest, over the next twelve or sixteen years. At the same time, the Libertarians manage to assemble some degree of coherence, perhaps due to the intervention of Satoshi Nakamoto, perhaps simply due to disgusted expatriate Republicans. At some point the Libertarians would probably absorb the Republicans, or would essentially fuse with them, likely greatly altering the platform in the process.

Honestly it feels more likely with the Democrats because the Republicans have burned brand loyalty into so many people.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

You need to come up with some kind of twist on IRV or whatever and package it as America Freedom Power-Vote or some poo poo. Then you'll get people paying attention. Alternately we can all wallow in despair. Maybe even both.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I hope Shep Smith ends up the commander of Fox News and talks about llamas and True Blood all the live long day going forwards.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fojar38 posted:

Yeah but I think that some points are earned for actually having something resembling principles beyond naked lust for power

Shame that basically every major GOP figure sold their souls to the God of Oranges at this point, even dudes who I used to like such as McCain.
If Hillary told them that she'd let them appoint a SCOTUS justice of their choice in exchange for all of their firstborns, they would, I think, make the trade by the end of the day.

At which point, of course, she appoints Obama.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Geostomp posted:

Basically this. Why this kind of thing isn't brought up more when we have a candidate slobbering all over said monster, I'll never know.
Because the left wing doesn't want to hear any war noises and the right wing wishes Putin was in charge over here in all his manly, queer-bashing glory.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

comingafteryouall posted:

Truly the nominee trying to make anime real. Trump's campaign is going to realize the power was within them all along, and their friendship will overcome Clinton's overwhelming force and experience.
That worked out great for Japan in the war - it's why we had to give up California!

Wait, this isn't an Amazon original series at all.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Night10194 posted:

The most powerful of whom was even her enemy in a bitter fight where she lost before they learned to work together!
When'd she fight Joe Biden?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

BaDandy posted:

We're at the part right before Hillary pierces herself with the arrow.

Soon Trump will be punched into an infinite death loop, but instead of dying it's just constant humiliation over and over, forever.
Ted Cruz severs his hand to distract the Castro brothers as he makes good his escape

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Queering Wheel posted:

- As much as we like to think Trump is an idiot, you have to have an above average level of intelligence to play the game as well as he has in his career. He's a piece of poo poo, no doubt, but he's very good at moving money around, passing the bill onto other people, playing the bankruptcy game and so on. It's clearly something that he enjoys doing. Why not play another game and try to take out an entire political party? I wouldn't be surprised if this whole thing started with Bill thinking that Trump could never pull off such a plan, and Trump privately challenged him to a bet or something.

But that's just my speculation.
My speculation here is more Bill Clinton put Trump up to it and is going to be riding the Hillary victory train like Baron Samedi.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Serrath posted:

The idea that Trump is a Machiavellian clinton plant is the dumbest conspiracy theory. His rise and current conduct is perfectly consistent to the way he's lived his life and ascribing some intent on his part to how it's being received requires you to overlook that he's been doing this <exact> act for as long as he's been in the public eye.

He's not some deep cover plant, he's a simple person with transparent motivations who has acted in exactly the manner throughout this campaign that a simple person with transparent motivations would.
It's a joke you boobs

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Soonmot posted:

Jesus, you loving goons. We all know Trump is not some Clinton plant. He's actually Andy Kaufman.
Kaufman would have gotten Vince McMahon on his staff

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Covok posted:

What strikes me the most is that you can actually check and prepare for likely questions for this debate. Just go to the question website and see what has the highest votes.
Barron is too busy on his Minecraft server to check the cyber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

WeAreTheRomans posted:

It's safe to assume he's going to float Vince McMahon as SoS before the month is out
I don't think Trump would want Vince in his administration because Vince would represent a threat due to his abilities with showmanship and the fact that Vince would probably kill him and try to become president. Given that Vince is in really good shape and Trump is a sugarlump, this would probably work, and then Vince McMahon saved America.

• Locked thread