Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lamb Chowder posted:

also you have to eat meat and drink beer

it's pretty funny that the conservative view of masculinity revolves around eating meat, drinking beer, watching sports, and shooting guns

ie things you can do using little effort while sitting down and being fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duz posted:

No, that was The Half Hour News Hour. It's as bad as you think. This is just standard idiocy from FNC.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lightning Knight posted:

Ah yes, jazz, one of the most important foundational and vivid artistic movements in modern American culture, totally not legitimate music. Holy poo poo dude.

Also passive aggressively racist. Yes of course the famously black originated music genre doesn't count. :allears:

i always like bringing up orchestral jazz whenever idiots start bagging on it

that george gershwin isn't a legitimate musician and rhapsody in blue is just random notes

also gives them the opening for some bonus antisemitism on top of the other racism

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lightning Knight posted:

Frankly I don't even enjoy traditional jazz, but holy poo poo it's like the foundation of everything good in modern American popular music, like what the gently caress.

Like for real people aren't kidding when they say all the good music is because of black Americans.

you can also point to jamaica for lots of where current music today comes from

particularly studio production

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Alec Bald Snatch posted:

rock is basically gonna die with people born before 2000

there's this one dumb kids react video with whatever new song metallica put out and one of the kids is holding his ears and complaining that it's too loud and harsh

that's our future

good

gently caress metallica for getting all pissy about music piracy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Forgall posted:

I've seen some sore losers, but you are a sore winner. That's some dedication to being petty and vindictive.

VirtualStranger posted:

Jesus Christ you people are the sorest winners I've ever loving seen.

:qq: my poor bernie :qq:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lozzle posted:

Insane twitter people are the highlight of this thread.

yeah but this is the same person over and over and over and who could care

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

mastajake posted:

This guy is seriously the type of person Southpark was making fun of in that Da Vinci Code parody on Easter. They would denounce Jesus Himself.

reminder that getting any portion of your politics from southpark is shameful as all hell

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

axeil posted:

Someone's never read the Monica transcripts then. He offered to reciprocate.

*eyes cigar knowingly*

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

reminder that this man won an academy award

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

rscott posted:

How do you manage to have the worst loving opinions about everything

it's easy when you're a dumbass:

Craptacular! posted:

I don't understand this thinking that Trump is somehow uniquely a Devil-Hitler, at least not just yet.

The really disturbing thing is that over a dozen candidates agree with 90% of what he says, and are distinguishing themselves on the remaining 10%. It's refreshing to see the GOP platform recited by a clown rather than someone pretending to be a serious politician. Finally, this is the correct messenger that this message has always deserved but for 25 years has pretended to be principled political thought.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

WampaLord posted:

To be fair, John "Slap some more makeup on like a trollop, you oval office" McCain is being super hypocritical.

Also he lost my respect for not dropping Trump after Trump attacked him for being captured.

he lost my respect when he voted against the feinstein anti-torture amendment back in 2008

and here's his quote on that:

quote:

Throughout these debates, I have said that it was not my intent to eliminate the CIA interrogation program, but rather to ensure that the techniques it employs are humane and do not include such extreme techniques as waterboarding. I said on the Senate floor during the debate over the Military Commissions Act, "Let me state this flatly: it was never our purpose to prevent the CIA from detaining and interrogating terrorists. On the contrary, it is important to the war on terror that the CIA have the ability to do so. At the same time, the CIA's interrogation program has to abide by the rules, including the standards of the Detainee Treatment Act." This remains my view today.

When, in 2005, the Congress voted to apply the Field Manual to the Department of Defense, it deliberately excluded the CIA. The Field Manual, a public document written for military use, is not always directly translatable to use by intelligence officers. In view of this, the legislation allowed the CIA to retain the capacity to employ alternative interrogation techniques. I'd emphasize that the DTA permits the CIA to use different techniques than the military employs, but that it is not intended to permit the CIA to use unduly coercive techniques -- indeed, the same act prohibits the use of any cruel, inhumane, or degrading treatment

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

WampaLord posted:

What are your thoughts about JFK?

my fav jfk thing was when he was quoted that if he didn't have sex every day he'd get terrible headaches

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

A Winner is Jew posted:

my fav jfk thing was that he had his mistresses gently caress his brothers while he watched

and they only refused when it was ted's turn after bobby

later on lbj claimed that since his dong was so huge he'd had more women by accident than jfk had on purpose

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Trabisnikof posted:

My favorite quote is "Ford's economics are the worst thing that's happened to this country since pantyhose ruined finger-loving."

amazing

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

ColdPie posted:

Policing is a lovely, dangerous job

lol yeah if you consider those duty belts and all their gear hanging off them to be dangerous to their spinal health

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FactsAreUseless posted:

More likely to be killed than cops: janitors.

also pizza delivery drivers

but hey, police work is apparently more dangerous than being a US soldier

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

5436 posted:

Not really. They get paid more cause they have strong unions and no one is down to cut a cops salary. 55k for a job in MN which requires 0 skills and a HS diploma is sorta nuts.

you can make six figures as a rookie cop in palo alto

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Lightning Knight posted:

Ok, I suspected it was something like this, I was just making sure.

Anyhow the fact that I can use the "being a cop is statistically safer than being a truck driver" fact to convince my parents, both truck drivers, that their distrust of the police and their talking points is justified, is quite useful.

fatalities for police officers are also probably only as high as they are due to their large amounts of time spent driving

people just assume that the cops are constantly being shot at or stabbed due to tv and movies

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

BadOptics posted:

The word patriot has been so overused and warpped it means literally nothing.

i liked it when those sovereign citizens in oregon were calling themselves patriots while hating the government

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

VanSandman posted:

Is the whole vampire thing about Thiel legit or nah? And where does it come from? Some mice study?

Peter Thiel Is Very, Very Interested in Young People's Blood

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
that article also hints that a few techlord billionaires are already doing it:

There are widespread rumors in Silicon Valley, where life-extension science is a popular obsession, that various wealthy individuals from the tech world have already begun practicing parabiosis, spending tens of thousands of dollars for the procedures and young-person-blood, and repeating the exercise several times a year. In our April 2015 interview, Thiel was seemingly explicit that parabiosis was something he hadn't "quite, quite, quite started yet." A Thiel Capital spokesman said nothing had changed since then.

it's gonna be cool when they all start throwing clots and having strokes from their quarterly transfusions

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Gail Wynand posted:

It's widely rumored he bankrolls some kind of creepy Dark Enlightenment secret society, I think.

he also publicly said that women voting is terrible for our democracy

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Instant Sunrise posted:

the alt-right but with more walls of text and deniability.

they also have kane from the brotherhood of nod

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nichael posted:

Is this a joke or is Joe Kucan actually alt-right? Please say it's a joke.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

boner confessor posted:

who puts a growler on display in their living room

that's how i decorate my space, with empty pbr cans

do you think it's just the one skull or does he have a collection of skulls

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

OwlFancier posted:

Pretty sure he either moves it or he has a collection of skulls that all have a weird lantern jaw.

i like to think that he traded in his sword collection for a buncha skulls since the ladies don't like swords all over the place

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pakled posted:

This is something a lot of older people believe. They won't believe you when you tell them they have internet in France or that some European countries have a higher standard of living than the US.

authoritarians also tend to believe that the rules don't apply to those in charge like their parents did for bedtime

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Really puts the Fountainhead into perspective.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FactsAreUseless posted:

But what about [building]??? It's famous and works great! Yeah, because structural engineers, interior designers, human design experts, and other people who actually know about things like building codes and math took an architect's dumbass bullshit concept art and made a building out of it.

i had a meeting last year with a few other engineers at an architectural firm about this site development project for a corporate campus

the engineers spent half the meeting talkin about utilities access and how we were gonna maneuver a fire truck over the landscape architect's hard work and how the facility was going to use the proposed on-site water recycling and basically drawing red lines all over the structural and utility plan sheets

back half of the meeting was over the architectural elements where the engineers all tried to keep straight faces while the architects busted out their color pencil sketches and said things like "i don't appreciate how this staircase communicates with this facing"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Skinty McEdger posted:

My brother in law is an architect and has carried a grudge against the people who ruined his absolutely perfect award winning building by making necessary changes as to make it pass fire inspections and structurally sound enough that it would crumble at anything more than a slight breeze for 15 years now. He won't even look at the placard for the award he got for the design because they ruined his perfect vision.

i like it when they bitch about fire codes "because people don't smoke in the office like they used to so it's no big deal anymore"

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Aesthetics matter too. Don't be goony.

they certainly do, and are barely ancillary to a meeting with the project's engineering team

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

A Winner is Jew posted:

Architects are basically failed art students that can also pass remedial math.

a good friend of mine is a successful landscape architect who shits as hard as he can on his regular architect colleagues for how little they need to know for their jobs compared to his

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FactsAreUseless posted:

Not true. I'm under the impression that engineering would need to know about things like, say, wiring for a certain lighting setup. Or large windows that might need to be reinforced against wind. Etc. Lots of aesthetic decisions matter from an engineering perspective. They just have to be made by people who aren't so far up their own asses that they think words like "architectonics" are smart and useful. For instance, by interior designers.

well, kinda. the structural guys should be catching wind loading issues created by the architects and the utility people are gonna constantly be on the lookout for any fun changes

the problems that i've seen for wasting meeting time on seem to mostly arise due to the architectural firm being the prime on a project and just being unable to resist putting their two cents in for the building's envelope and then turning around and making a ton of unannounced changes to things that impact other systems, like the building's proposed footprint, for nebulous aesthetic reasons

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

FactsAreUseless posted:

It's intensely racist and sexist. Architecture at an academic level is wildly toxic. It's not an "engineers vs. architects" thing. I am not an engineer. I'm a journalist. But I know enough about the industry to know that architects suck at their jobs. Lots and lots of architecture-adjacent professions are good and full of good people. But architecture has a lovely culture going back more than a century, and they're incredibly resistant to attempts to change this. It's better in the professional world than the academic one, but it's not great.

from the practicing architects i know it also appears to be in part the result of a field that graduates & trains more people than are strictly demanded in the professional world

so employers get to be choosy and bargain from a much stronger position about a job that has a large subjective component - which we know from orchestral auditions is an excellent way to feed and nurture hiring biases

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

Oh and there's also this building:

Which is stunning and iirc the tallest building at the time to have ever been designed by a female architect. Sadly the iconic balconies are unusable, due to the thousands and thousands of spiders that are drawn to nesting there

Chicago architecture is my favorite :allears:

aqua is one of my fav designs because the balconies were intended to foster a sense of community by allowing inter-floor sightlines and communication (before the building filled up with commercial leases)

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

vseslav.botkin posted:

The weird disappearances thing is from David Paulides, who I'm pretty sure thinks it's Bigfoot, although he's very demure about explanations.

abso

lutely

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

DaveWoo posted:

The whole term limits thing has always seemed kind of pointless to me. If you really want to address the issue of perma-incumbents, redistricting reform would be a much better way to go.

republicans tend to shift back and forth between business and public office moreso than democratics, who tend to see it more commonly as a calling and stay in office for long stretches

whenever someone brings up term limits you should ask them if they also support employment bans on people leaving public office for fields that they were responsible for regulating

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

like that's gonna keep the white noise posters from turning this into a chat thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

greatn posted:

Oh my god James Carville what is wrong with your faaaace?

• Locked thread