Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jul 11, 2003

by astral

ColdPie posted:

For the amount and time and importance of the work required? Yeah. You're not going to be attracting quality candidates with that kind of salary.

I never claimed it was the most dangerous job in the world. I said they need to be paid more to attract quality candidates.

Not really. They get paid more cause they have strong unions and no one is down to cut a cops salary. 55k for a job in MN which requires 0 skills and a HS diploma is sorta nuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Lightning Knight posted:

I find it concerning that airline pilots are that high up. Does that include commercial too or what?

it's per 100,000 people, and there are very few pilots.

but also there's more types of piloting than commercial aviation, and the statistics include aircraft maintenance workers as well.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Lightning Knight posted:

I find it concerning that airline pilots are that high up. Does that include commercial too or what?
Given that it's any aircraft pilots that would include crop dusters, little prop planes, stunt pilots, helicopters, etc.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Skippy McPants posted:

I wouldn't have thought being a garbageman was such a dangerous job. Is it the risk of being hit by a car?

Heavy machinery, I assume, as well as constant exposure to biowaste and other hazardous materials. And rat attacks, probably.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

5436 posted:

Not really. They get paid more cause they have strong unions and no one is down to cut a cops salary. 55k for a job in MN which requires 0 skills and a HS diploma is sorta nuts.

you can make six figures as a rookie cop in palo alto

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

radical meme posted:

Are those stats for injuries or deaths?

"Fatal injuries."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Don't doxx YOSPOS like that.

Jul 11, 2003

by astral

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

you can make six figures as a rookie cop in palo alto

People also completely leave out the overtime which can be plentiful and pension. They get paid a lot and it is not cause of how 'dangerous' the job is.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

CannonFodder posted:

Don't doxx YOSPOS like that.

are they still probating people who say "catte"

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Obama is everyone's weirdo dad.

I bet he makes a bunch of dad jokes too.

I would listen to Obama at the podium making 20 minutes of just awful awful dadjokes and Geop-level puns

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Instant Sunrise posted:

it's per 100,000 people, and there are very few pilots.

but also there's more types of piloting than commercial aviation, and the statistics include aircraft maintenance workers as well.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Given that it's any aircraft pilots that would include crop dusters, little prop planes, stunt pilots, helicopters, etc.

Ok, I suspected it was something like this, I was just making sure.

Anyhow the fact that I can use the "being a cop is statistically safer than being a truck driver" fact to convince my parents, both truck drivers, that their distrust of the police and their talking points is justified, is quite useful.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

awesmoe posted:

You'll be pleased to know that's already happening. Not sure what they'll do with the APC tho.

Kars 4 Kids obviously.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

canepazzo posted:

https://twitter.com/foxnewspoll/status/786688187611639809

Hillary 45-38 in the Fox poll, up frp, 44-42 at the beginning of October.

:getin:

Maybe that's why he cancelled the interview! Crooked Hannity polls!

E: and 49-41 in the 2way!

Other interesting tidbits (LV numbers):
Generic congress: +6 D
Willingness to vote for a non-Trump republican: 41 more, 29 less, 26 no diff. Republicans are 27% more, 39% less. Democrats are 52% more.
Favorabilities: Pence 47-35, Clinton 45-54, Kaine 43-37, Trump 35-63.
Obama Approval: 56-41 (RV)

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

5436 posted:

I would argue this is probably more a reflection of how lovely other jobs pay vs. police getting paid too much.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Kars 4 Kids obviously.

Do you know what the money for kars 4 kids goes to? Sending orthodox Jewish kids to Jewish summer camps.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

Kars 4 Kids obviously.
I don't know if (((Kars 4 Kids))) operates down in that neck of the woods.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
David Frum is on fire lately

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Lightning Knight posted:

Ok, I suspected it was something like this, I was just making sure.

Anyhow the fact that I can use the "being a cop is statistically safer than being a truck driver" fact to convince my parents, both truck drivers, that their distrust of the police and their talking points is justified, is quite useful.

fatalities for police officers are also probably only as high as they are due to their large amounts of time spent driving

people just assume that the cops are constantly being shot at or stabbed due to tv and movies

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

fatalities for police officers are also probably only as high as they are due to their large amounts of time spent driving

people just assume that the cops are constantly being shot at or stabbed due to tv and movies

Also I'm pretty sure last time I looked it up Teachers and Convience Store Clerks were more likely to be murdered on the job than cops.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

Absolutely. Most cop deaths, iirc, are from traffic accidents and being struck as pedestrians while making traffic stops. I got my hella racist parents to support BLM, at least in theory, between pointing out that cops are whiners and pointing out that black people and Latino people (I.e. My dad and I) are demonstratably statistically targeted by police and punished more severely for the same crimes.

Edit: ^teachers...? What the hell is killing so many teachers on the job? There's not THAT many school shootings.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Wow, trump has denied groping someone, saying she was too ugly to grope.

What a dick

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Trabisnikof posted:

Also I'm pretty sure last time I looked it up Teachers and Convience Store Clerks were more likely to be murdered on the job than cops.
So this whole hyper-paranoid "thin blue line, your job is to come home alive, that justifies you reflexively shooting minorities at all times" thing is, at best, only applicable in certain areas in an extremely limited way, and more likely, complete horse-poo poo?

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

Cimber posted:

What a dick

:qq: "B-but Hillary bullied those poor women!" :qq:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Nessus posted:

So this whole hyper-paranoid "thin blue line, your job is to come home alive, that justifies you reflexively shooting minorities at all times" thing is, at best, only applicable in certain areas in an extremely limited way, and more likely, complete horse-poo poo?

Yes. Everything about the insular culture of police and their us vs. the world mentality is total horseshit.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Cardboard Box A posted:

I almost feel bad for him, then I remember he came up with the term "Axis of Evil".

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cimber posted:

What a dick

What, again? He did that this afternoon. Did he do it again in this speech?

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lol Wolf is skewering this dude logically

lozzle
Oct 22, 2012

by zen death robot

straight up brolic posted:

lol Wolf is skewering this dude logically

Getting clowned on by Wolf? :wow:

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

David Frum is a weird guy - very conservative but hates the Republican party and not in the way so many Trumpers and Tea Partiers do. I have a feeling he regrets being W's speechwriter. But above all else he's really snarky on Twitter, so I appreciate that.

Also, I remember jokingly saying before the last debate that Trump is going to bring up ClintonBodyCount at some point. I think he might actually seriously do it now:

Donald Trump at a rally earlier today posted:

“There is nothing the political establishment will not do, no lie that they won’t tell to hold their prestige and power at your expense,” Trump said early in the rally. “And that's what has been happening. The Washington establishment, and the financial and media corporations that fund it, exist for only one reason, to protect and enrich itself. The establishment has trillions of dollars at stake in this election.”

"It is a global power structure that is responsible for the economic decisions that have robbed our working class, stripped our country of its wealth and put the money in the pockets of a handful of large corporations and political entities. Just look at what the corrupt establishment has done to our cities like Detroit, Flint, Michigan and rural towns in Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina, and all cross our country. Take a look at what is going on. They've stripped away the towns bare and raided the wealth for themselves and taken our jobs away, out of our country, never to return unless I'm elected president," he said.

“The Clinton machine is at the center of this power structure,” Trump continued. “We have seen this in the WikiLeaks documents in which Hillary Clinton meets in secret with international banks to plot the destruction of U.S. sovereignty in order to enrich these global financial powers, her special interest friends, and her donors."

“The most powerful weapon deployed by the Clintons is the corporate media: the press. Let's be clear on one thing, the corporate media in our country is no longer involved in journalism. They're a political special interest, no different than any lobbyist or any other financial entity with a total political agenda and the agenda is not for you, it’s for themselves,” Trump said.

“Their agenda is to elect crooked Hillary Clinton at any costs, at any price, no matter how many lives they destroy,” he continued. “For them, it's a war. And for them, nothing at all is out of bounds. This is a struggle for the survival of our nation. Believe me. And this will be our last chance to save it.”

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I'm not super happy with the Republican nominee for president legitimizing InfoWars and assorted conspiracy theory garbage for the coming years, to be honest. The reaction to a Trump bringing up Clinton Body Count isn't going to be bemused dismissal, it will be truth is in the middle-ism.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm torn between whether or not Trump will back off now that the NYT told him to come at them, or if he's stupid enough to leap into that fire.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

lozzle posted:

he let him weasel out at the end though and let him say that he'd support donald trump if he sexually assaulted someone if it was proven that Hillary supplied weapons to the groups the became ISIS?

it's crazy that these networks are allowing conspiracy theorists on, although I suppose that's Trump's position.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

lozzle posted:

Pretend I posted WolfOnJeopardy.jpg here

Night10194 posted:

I'm torn between whether or not Trump will back off now that the NYT told him to come at them, or if he's stupid enough to leap into that fire.
Everything else he's done in the campaign indicates that he will leap into the fire...naked...screaming a war chant at the top of his lungs.

Space Poodle
Nov 11, 2007
Well that looks like a segway to his new news network when he loses.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Crazy Ted posted:

Pretend I posted WolfOnJeopardy.jpg here

I always wondered about that, were they asking questions (sorry, answers) related to his profession that He Should Have Known or just the usual general trivia

The image always seemed a little unfair to me (but only a little, I don't watch TV as a rule so I dunno)

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Space Poodle posted:

Well that looks like a segway to his new news network when he loses.

Segue, unless you mean he won't take his jet there.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Cimber posted:

Do you know what the money for kars 4 kids goes to? Sending orthodox Jewish kids to Jewish summer camps.

I hate the jingle no matter where the money goes.

DICKS FOR DINNER
Sep 6, 2008

Stand Proud

Ciaphas posted:

I always wondered about that, were they asking questions (sorry, answers) related to his profession that He Should Have Known or just the usual general trivia

The image always seemed a little unfair to me (but only a little, I don't watch TV as a rule so I dunno)

It was celebrity Jeopardy, and all the profits go to charity, so basically every question was a softball. He's just an absolute doofus.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Quorum posted:

Cats and dogs are both pretty cool, but for different reasons.

For dogs, it's because over thousands of generations we have shaped each other's evolution to become emotionally closer and better at interpreting one another's needs. If offered the choice between hanging out with people and hanging out with dogs, dogs will choose people, because dogs are bred to love us forever. They are the closest thing we have to a symbiotic species (other than our gut bacteria, who are also really cool and deserve your love and respect but are not very cuddly). Genuinely, dogs are an expression of the absolute most effective survival strategy humans have, more important than tool-using and endurance hunting: cooperation and empathy. We're set up to like and work together with people who aren't us, and this is such a powerful response that it works on things that aren't people but are like people in some ways, like dogs. If we ever encountered aliens and I was asked to provide evidence that humans were worthy of taking part in a pan-galactic society, I would probably show them dogs, rather than nuclear weapons or whatever.

Cats are kind of an accident, but it's an accident that worked out really well. Cats probably just started hanging around people's barns because they contained mice, and the presence of the people was completely irrelevant to the cats. But the most successful cats were the ones who minded the humans' presence the least, so eventually you got cats who, rather than freaking out about humans, just didn't give a poo poo about them. And then you got ones who thought that people using their opposable thumbs and weird wiggly fingers to scratch them was pretty cool. And... that's about as far as we got with cats, actually. They're assholes, and so are we, but we get along okay anyway.

When I was growing up we had an older lady cat who arrived at the conclusion that my brother and I were basically her kittens. She was a tremendous bitch to absolutely everyone else, but would comfort and protect and love us.

Cats are really weird, probably largely because of the different domestication circumstances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

Celebrity Jeopardy questions are notoriously easier than Regular Jeopardy questions.

• Locked thread