Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Help Im Alive posted:

Is anyone buying Playstation VR
I did

*money flushing sound*

Trying to decide if I want to preorder battlezone as well to get the Prime $10 off or just forget about it til it comes out as a Plus game in a year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

why is she shoehorning words in when she's not even singing to a familiar tune :psypop:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Ostentatious posted:

why would you buy battlezone on the ps4 when you can play one of the greatest games of all time on steam, battlezone (1998)?
but I want something to play on my stupid expensive goggles :smith:

I mean Rez and rear end in a top hat Sports Bar Simulator and Robot Golf are probably enough but I did try Battlezone as a demo and it felt pretty good. Tank zips around and controls well which I never thought I would say about anything with Battlezone in the name

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phantasium posted:

You can always cancel a preorder if you want someone else to be the guinea pig for the $500 first run of a technology that is due for either years of improvements or a quick death.
Yeah that's the part that bothers me, I tried it out and actually enjoyed it, it would have been much smarter to ignore it and drop my spot in line that I had just grabbed on a whim when they opened up

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Guy Mann posted:

RedLetterMedia put out their first full-length Plinkett review in like four years and it's real bad. I really wish I had spent that time gaming instead.
what did they review

i mean yes i could go look but I won't now, just out of spite

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Quest For Glory II posted:

the amount of smilies that get bought that no one uses is great

:spiderguy::wrong::smoobles::swish::vapes::nomates::kayak::jollywell::fuzzknot::jamez::destiny::chome::dadjoke::bagl::landy::quig:
:wrong: and :dadjoke: should not be neglected

why the gently caress is doc louis from punch out called jollywell though

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oh you can type it as :doclouis: anyway

:doclouis::jollywell:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Dewgy posted:

:bagl: has a long and storied history thank you very much. :colbert:
which is vastly eclipsed by the amount of time it's never used :quig:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Help Im Alive posted:

What if we banned pixel art for a year

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

steam recommends me a lot lot lot of randomly generated roguelikes because spelunky and nuclear throne are two of my favorite games and let me tell you. all the recommendations are trash
wait, does that mean you actually bought and played the recommendations or are you just making a (safe) assumption

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Golden Goat posted:

Lol like anybody goes onto Xbox arcade.
That's what indie with no pixel art looks like though is what I'm getting at. It's horrifying

oddium posted:

i bought rogue legacy and enter the gungeon and that was enough
if you consider those both to be utter trash your standards may just be impossibly high. :shrug:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phantasium posted:

On the other hand, if you don't like the stuff that is considered the king of a genre it's pretty easy to just write off the whole thing.

I too don't like Roguelikes.
but oddium said they like Spelunky and Nuclear Throne :psyduck:

whatever I'm sure it was just exaggeration for emphasis or because the vast majority of forgettable roguelike poo poo is so forgettable they couldn't even name one that wasn't at least okay

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

oddium posted:

to me, if a game is bad, i don't like it 👼
Okay you're right they're all trash, burn it down

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Phantasium posted:

If you want specifics though, I feel like a ton of people went nuts about Isaac and Rogue Legacy and Spelunky, all games I tried and didn't like, almost entirely because of the random element. I have terrible luck and the first like 20 runs will set up some bullshit that keeps me from ever trying them again.
That luck factor is why some people prefer Gungeon, while there are still some clearly superior weapons it seems overall less dependent on build and room layout than Isaac. The addition of the dodge roll and blanks makes it far less likely than Isaac that you just get cornered with nothing to do about it, and there are enough serviceable weapons that you don't have to pull the rare draw to win a run. However it's just loving tough to win period so that is sort of moot. It's got other problems of course but I think they did a good job of toning down the reliance on RNG.

I never found the luck factor to help all that much for an individual run in Rogue Legacy either, aside from the very beginning of a run where you pick a descendant since the hasted classes mean a lot more forgiving timing. Seriously if you ever go back to that one make sure you unlock Shinobi ASAP. Though the luck factor does heavily affect the non-tree stuff in town which is really annoying in the long term if you are trying to design a build you like.

Spelunky luck, well, it's almost always unfavorable so really that's a matter of learning what is the most common problem and being prepared. It's very seldom you get anything positive that carries you unfairly, mostly you just get bad luck that you have to deal with. About the only kind of misfortune you can't prepare for is getting lovely low amounts of bombs and/or ropes, and that is annoying when it happens but it's fairly infrequent. There's usually some way to at least get a good enough quantity of bombs.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

In case he wakes up and deletes the tweets here's the obligatory archive link
http://archive.is/fP5ay

bah, that doesn't even get all the weirdest ones, i give up :effort:

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 4, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Golden Goat posted:

E: and he is realizing it and deleting it all.
As if that does anything these days

https://storify.com/CrashCatt/notch-lsd

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Jay Rust posted:

If you had Notch's money, what would you do with it?
Build a bunker to weather the coming climate apocalypse. When it's pointed out that people will just break into it and kill me anyway, go with this plan

FanaticalMilk posted:

Buy a research laboratory in Switzerland and make my own designer drug that attempts to combine the affects of DMT, Ayahuasca, & LSD and specifically focuses on having a high probability of causing ego death in the user. I think Notch's current headspace would appreciate this.
unrelated:

Lizard Wizard posted:

hey guys i wanna make a new wow character

warlock, hunter, death knight or demon hunter? thanks
always warlock, and you better be a good one that actually does poo poo

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lizard Wizard posted:

meaning what
I'd have to experience WoW again to elaborate, so meaning nothing I guess :geno:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lizard Wizard posted:

When did you play last? Quite a few of the classes have been overhauled.

ages and ages ago, so they probably removed all the skill from Warlocks because people were quite bad at underusing them, and they were loving amazing in the hands of a good player

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lizard Wizard posted:

I'm gonna need about free titty to do that

EDIT: oh no this is an actual thing isn't it
3.50 would probably buy you a bundle of games to make a convincing enough review site to scam a few more games and parlay that into scamming actual games you want eventually

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lizard Wizard posted:

No no no, I said free titty

Yeah, that's tree fiddy, just like you asked

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

u mad!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

Where does it show up? I have a gently caress of a time finding the free games every month. Is it not up yet? I found REmake, but I couldn't find any other free games. I hate the PSN store so much. STOP TRYING TO SELL ME PS+. I OBVIOUSLY HAVE IT.

If you're on a US account it's on the web store under Games, Playstation Plus, Free Games.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/en-us/free-games/cid=STORE-MSF77008-PSPLUSFREEGAMES

If you're on another region it's organized differently so have fun

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Help Im Alive posted:

What's the best board game to play in a room, alone
it's still Pandemic

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I wish I was like rich and poo poo so I could have a weekly DnD game, but alas I am a poor and I have no friends/time so I just read the 2nd and 3rd edition rule books. They make good toilet/bed time reading.
Well, if the time thing ever changes, check something like Meetup.com and see if there is a local group meeting at any time, they're usually really looking for more people. Unless you're way past the burbs into the boonies there's likely something, though finding it can be a challenge

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lurdiak posted:

Skill Challenge: Win Internet Argument
A nerd is arguing with you on the internet. Since you are also a nerd, you must respond in kind.
Setup: To win this argument, the PC must either convince the NPC of his position, make him look foolish before his peers, or make him quit the debate in disgust, thereby winning by default.
Level: Equal to the level of the party.
Complexity: 3 (requires 8 successes before 4 failures)
Primary Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy, Insight, Endurance.

What do you do?
Bluff, make them quit debate in digust. If I roll a critical success, get the entire thread closed down

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Snak posted:

just read grognards.txt

It's the best poo poo.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098558

jesus, 2001 pages

No wonder I never finished it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Yessss

Something about that tube rolling around underfoot is exceptionally nauseating looking though

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3098558&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post358054375

drat I forgot how much I love this old thread

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 7, 2016

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

boy are my arms tired posted:

"Specified thread was not found in the live forums."

weird, not seen this error before, and if its an archives thing i have archives...

i hosed up, didn't know you can't use single-post in archives :(

anyway it was the first one on the second page, i didnt get very far yet

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

jesus, the link on top of page 3 is a winner too... in a different way :stonk:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

glam rock hamhock posted:

I know I'm really dumb for sort of wanting this and I'll probably not get it because the chance of any new Sonic game actually being one of the good ones is always 50/50 at best but I still sort of want this:

Only tangentially related but I kinda want one of these

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2016/09/01/heres-the-list-of-games-included-with-retro-bit-generations-console/223938/

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

FirstAidKite posted:

Am I wrong or do japanese games tend to get way more extravagant preorder deluxe versions (not necessarily better, just...more)?

Like, I am trying to think of an american preorder thing that had a lot of stuff in it and I can only think of uhh the duke nukem forever thing where it turned into a big disappointment because the goods that came with it were apparently really lame and I think the most recent gears of war had a version that came with a cosplay gun prop thing that came in different colors and it looked kinda neat
https://www.google.com/search?q=collector%27s+edition&safe=active&source=lnms&tbm=isch

I'm guessing we get poo poo for preorder bonuses because they want to sell these ridiculously huge expensive packages of garbage instead

Maybe I misunderstood the comment though

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

bloodychill posted:

Tuesday game releases annoy me when something is coming out soon that I want to play. DQ Builders is out on Tuesday. It's the weekend for me now. I want to be playing it now. But I have to wait until Tuesday and will be super busy with work stuff next week and won't really get to play until Friday. Why not just release it when I'm ready to play, is what I'm saying.
Yeah I want to play Robot Golf and it's digital only but it's Monday anyway :argh:

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Posting Indiebox is sort of cheating though, those editions weren't widely available and a lot of them came out way after the actual game

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Lurdiak posted:

I once watched an unboxing video of a guy showing off his cool glowing electromagnetic blade from his Metal Gear Rising preorder and I swear as he was looking at it and his shelf of other useless 'swag' I pinpointed the exact moment he realized he was wasting his life.

i would like a cool glowing blade but i would probably not like the rest

I do have a Johnny Gat statue but that edition was on sale cheap cause nobody bought it, and the wub gun and noise button are kinda cool

CJacobs posted:

Collecting videogame paraphernalia is cool if that's what you're into and if that's what you wanna spend your youtube ad revenue on then I say go for it
that's the other thing, if you can get paid enough to collect things to pay for the things to collect, totally do it

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

precision posted:

The soundtrack alone makes me want to buy Mafia 3 (Lightnin' Hopkins?!) but I think I'll wait since we've bought so many games lately.

I'm currently trying real hard to get to the actual game in DQ7
Mafia 3 was at the Redbox, I was tempted. Maybe I will just get it when they sell it off, and that Deus Ex game too

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

bloodychill posted:

When my best friend in elementary school wanted a Super Nintendo for his birthday, his mom refused that year under the reasoning that there would just be a "Super Duper Nintendo" the next year.

I kind of wish there was.
Oh man, I'm sorry you missed out on the SDNES. We all enjoyed the hell out of that one. Too bad you can't even emulate it anymore. Sorry man, that really sucks.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Skeezy posted:

Robot Golf is good.

It's actually kind of poo poo but I like it anyway

Really it's impressive from coming from such a small crew tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Guy Mann posted:

I enjoyed Roundabout as a shameless clone of Kuru Kuru Kururin with a wacky FMV aesthetic but 100ft Robot Golf gives me pause because the idea of making golf even more slow by turning all the players into giant robots sounds like the kind of thing that should have never made it past the planning stages.
Well, they play simultaneously so that makes it a bit faster. Also one of them has a skateboard if you can't stand walking. Really I think the slow ball travel is there so you have time to blow poo poo up and push it around to gently caress with people

Still if you're looking for correctness or balance or anything resembling sanity this is probably the wrong game

... and the planning stage was an in-joke from a Let's Play

• Locked thread