Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Can I get a guild invite for @ChainsawJuggler ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Yeah, they could have made Vigor rank 2, left Rapid Maneuver at 1, then everyone who hates PVP could have just picked "Skip Tutorial" with that NPC and had everything they need without dragging down someone else's BG queue or whatever.

Or just make them main quest unlocks instead of the Soul Magic tree nobody cares about outside the passive to churn out soul gems.

Poe fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Aug 25, 2020

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

SplitSoul posted:

Yes, everything in the treasure category is vendor trash, stuff for your house is in the furniture category.

There are a few daily/repeatable quests for stuff like "Collect 3 Utensils" or "Launder and deliver 5 tools," but otherwise vendor trash.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Alucard posted:

Finally starting to get into the game a bit after I picked up most of the basic expansions, any recommendations for a first time player? I know I can go through any of the content without fear of level issues, but I figured I'd start with the morrowind content then shift over to skyrim.

Only other thing - if I want to do any dark brotherhood content is that a different set of dlc or did getting this version include what I need? I started as a nightblade and have heard that some of the dark brotherhood content helps me do my sneaky stabby stealy that I appreciate so much in normal elder scrolls games

From Morrowind on, playing in order of release works pretty nicely and gets you a decent amount of NPC dialog where they callback earlier quests you've done.

For your DLC question, this page may help, but basically DLCs have to be bought a la carte or are provided while you have an ESO Plus Subscription, while the expansions, or "chapters," are sold separately, unless they get changed into DLC. Dark Brotherhood is one of those that is not included with most retail versions of the game, so expect to subscribe or buy it separately (and for a kind of crazy amount which makes it arguably better to just subscribe for the DLC plus extra perks that gets you).

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Definitely start researching early on, like as soon as you get some extra gear and are by your first crafting station, even if you aren't getting into crafting right away so that you aren't limited at higher levels because you started late.

https://elderscrollsonline.wiki.fextralife.com/Research

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

How is this game these days? Sounds like there's an Oblivion expansion coming soon? I picked up the Greymoore edition a bit ago but never really got around to getting deep into the game. Is this reworking spree they're on a good time to come back if I'm gonna be mostly starting fresh and all? How's the leveling experience now that they've opened the zones up and all?

Other people can speak to PVP but the impression I get is generally bad, but if you're just looking for PVE the Greymoor content is decent but felt a little worse than Morrowind, Summerset, and Elsweyr. Your tolerance for gray tundra might be different from mine, though I liked Wrothgar more, too. You also have the option to go to earlier zones and quest there, but the plot can be a bit disjointed unless you pay attention to where the zone officially starts and follow prompts from there.

Until you have a level 50 character and are getting champion points, this reworked system won't apply to you, though they will be doing an event for it which let's you respec for free so if you want to go wild without spending the gold normally required to try things out you can.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I burnt out a month or so ago, and was wondering, is the Greymoor expac worth messing with? I got a bit into it before my sub ran out and I decided to just take a break but curious if it's worth experiencing before the new expac drops down the line.

Probably not if you burnt out on ESO. The Antiquities system is basically a nice excuse to rerun old content for unique items and furniture. The first part of the plot (Western Skyrim) is decent but not amazing, and half of it is in overland Skyrim, which you've seen already. The underground zones are more interesting, but probably not worth the price of admission alone. The Reach (story part 2) felt half finished to me, probably scaled back due to COVID/WFH shift. Not much to recommend in it unless you want more ESO.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Forgot-The-Mechanics

It's usually applicable.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Shredder posted:

Any benefit to buying the base game in the ESO store vs steam? I assume you can't cross-buy DLC and poo poo

Non-Steam keys can often be purchased for less on third party sites, so you can get the game and expansions for less than Steam sale pricing.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Saul Kain posted:

Was thinking about casually playing this game. Is a magicka sorc useful for anything. I think the one character I have is a 20 something high elf sorc.

General consensus is it's one of the better DPS builds you can do, and it has some good solo/pet options, so it covers multiple playstyles depending on exactly what you want to do.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Funky See Funky Do posted:

The servers were crap on PS4. Lots and lots of lag. Anytime the camera zoomed in on a character it would take 2-5 seconds for the textures to load. IIRC the whole spellweaving (?) thing was about a 40% boost to DPS at the cost of severe RSI and was really tedious. I would have hoped they'd have just done away with it completely by now.

What is Greymoor like? I quit right before it came out.

E: Oh my important question: Do people talk to each other and socialize IN THE GAME on PC servers. Not in discord or in twitch rooms. In the actual game using channels provided by the game. All MMOs are lovely single players games. I tried out WoW recently and ended up spending at least 90% of my time in the world alone which was an extremely depressing and frustrating experience for an MMO.

I've never seen a problem like that on PC servers. I've had texture popin rarely and mostly in a couple specific spots, so it was probably a client glitch and I haven't seen anything like it in months.

I don't do much PVP (just did some PVP dailies in Imperial City for cosmetics and rounded up the zone skill points), but I hear there are server performance issues in the bigger outdoor zone with huge group PVP.

Greymoor is decent overall. The first part is Western Skyrim, which isn't much to look at, being a bunch of tundra, but it's pretty dense with quests and stuff to do. You also go underground, which is a nice change in scenery, and it continues to be packed with stuff to do. The second half (The Reach) is a bit of a letdown, and really feels to me like it suffered from them having to change how they produce content due to COVID and a shift to WFH. Outside the main quest of the zone, the side areas just feel pretty barren, and the overworld and underground added feel smaller and lacking in the same density as the first part. Compared to Elsweyr where Southern Elsweyr was a completely new region and similarly packed with stuff, The Reach just feels like it was cut down a lot and reusing a lot more assets. Overall, Greymoor feels like 70% of an expansion with most of the best stuff front-loaded. The Antiquities system is kind of fun, though, because it essentially adds a couple minigames to serve as an excuse to go do older content again.

In game chat is a little light but present, mostly in specific zones where people tend to mill around for crafting and LFG, like Craglorn and Vvardenfell.

Poe fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 9, 2021

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

abske_fides posted:

Just recently got this on OSX. Any tips on what to do that's most fun and a good introduction to the game? Slowly started the main quest. I made a nord warden that looks pretty cool since I have a cat and my mount is a bear.

Pretty much just pick a zone questline and go, because you'll get XP, items, and skill points from levels, skyshards, and the occasional quest reward, so you'll be pretty regularly given new toys. General consensus is quest writing gets better from the Orsinium DLC on, so if you want go to Wrothgar or Vvardenfell (or later expansion zones if you have access). I haven't done all the main game quests, but since One Tamriel and the zone/character scaling it can be easy to do quests out of order from the original game which might be a bit confusing if you're a story purist.

For leveling go all in on Stamina or Magicka for the easiest time killing stuff while you get a feel for the game, and whichever you use be sure to mix in some self-healing or damage shield abilities alongside your attack skills.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I play ESO through Steam, and own all of the other expansions, so if I want the collectors edition, buy The Elder Scrolls Online - Blackwood Collector's Edition Upgrade?

Correct, and you'll have to buy through Steam. I'm unaware of any other third-party sellers offering Steam keys; they all seem to do just the Bethesda.net key which won't upgrade the Steam version.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Are you certain about that? It won't show on steam as owned, but in game it should still show as owned. Admittedly the one time I did this it wasn't the upgrade but rather the full game key for Greymoor, but it shows up when I log in through steam.

I'm not sure at all now. That was how I heard it worked in the past but looking a few places it sounds like you can buy from wherever and register the key on the ESO account site, then login via Steam and have it.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Trastion posted:

Last night on PS5 I couldn't get the 2nd chest for the 2 chest endeavor to trigger. I got the first one from a random chest in the wild. Then I opened multiple random chests, lockboxes and even tried switching to an alt and doing the same. it just said 1/2 and never gave it to me. Someone said to try a Doleman but I had to log off for the night so never got to try that.

And then I don't bother with PVP so I also didn't get those points.

You can only get 3, so if you finished the others, the last 2 are grayed out and stop progressing.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

That could be okay if the Endeavor price were 1:1 with the crown gems costs, but this miniscule rate with random days worth less is baffling.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Comrade Koba posted:

How important is server ping in ESO? I'm in the EU but I've always played on the NA server because that's where the goon guild was. I checked recently and my NA ping is usually 180-200ms (compared to 50-70 for the EU server). I was considering switching over but kind of don't want to since I'll lose access to all my crown store purchases.

I feel like I haven't had a problem unless it's 400+ because of ISP/server issues. Might be problematic if you want to be doing veteran endgame content, but why would you do that to yourself?

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

What’s his name? This is very important.

Going to cut to the chase here and say if it's not Rips-and-Tears you need to fix that.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Lysandus posted:

What was that pvp quest line you can do really quick to get the run speed buff?

It was the siege weapon tutorial, but Rapid Maneuver is a little further into the Assault skill line now, so you have to do a bit more to get it. I think a battleground or two, or tagging along for some keep assaults in Cyrodiil will cover you.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Lysandus posted:

I didn't realize this had happened. So now your horse speed is your speed even when unmounted?

No. Rapid Maneuver does both, since Major and Minor Expedition are just general move speed buffs (and one of the morphs will make it apply both Major and Minor at once). The Continuous Attack passive, which I completely forgot had that move speed passive added, does Major Gallop, which is only mounted speed.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

Simone Poodoin posted:

Anyone have tips/advice about soloing World Bosses? Is it just "be patient and stay off the red"?

Not all of them are as soloable as others, especially in expansion zones, so if you get ripped apart, distinguish between "stood in red" and "not going to kill them with this build," and cut your losses accordingly.

If you can, grab a companion, because at worst it's an extra target for a little bit.

If you have a daily quest for the boss, offer to share it in zone chat and you'll often get one or two people to come along.

Use damage shields on your skill bars to help stay alive. There are both class and weapon/guild skills which can give you a damage bubble to stay up with less healing being needed.

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

A Real Horse posted:

How much of a pain is getting Oakensoul? I’m not there yet, but I know when I hit max level I’m headed in that direction since I’m Old, Bad, and Lazy. It looks like it’s just a matter of getting the leads to drop, but I’m not sure how rng those are.

The worst lead for it was random lockboxes in Murkmire, just because of how many people used to camp those combined with respawn time and how few there are. Not sure how it is anymore, and supposedly it can also drop from thief troves now. Drop rates on all the leads weren't bad when I did it though, just getting those boxes can be a pain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poe
Jul 22, 2007

1glitch0 posted:

You're correct.

Counterpoint: they're having fun wrong and should do it in the most tedious way possible.