Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I'm getting the urge to give this game a try, in my never-ending MMO-hopping fever. Seems like there's a few editions of the game. Should I just get the base game or do the Greymoor Edition if I"m just starting out? I'm planning to subscribe either way, just for that freakin' crafting materials storage.

Are there any good up-to-date starter guides you folks would recommend?

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Mar 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Thanks for the advice everyone. I bought in and started a character, though I haven't had much time to play. I'm a Nord Dragonknight named Belinda Brickhouse.

So far I'm pretty impressed. The tutorial was fun and felt very adventurous. In a lot of ways it feels like a typical MMO with extra steps, but I dunno, the area design and the overall presentation makes things immersive and feels fun. I imagine at some point I'll get bored but for now I'm digging it.

After the tutorial I pretty much just ported right to the starting zone to work on the original story quest, which I have done none of because I am apparently spending an eternity in town doing odd jobs and meeting the various guilds.

If anyone is handing out guild invites, my username is @calcDegree .

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I can’t even figure out how to buy materials. Even after googling, I’m baffled by the auction system.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Pivo posted:

For guild traders you don’t want to just go to Vivec or any one city. You want to go to tamrieltradecenter.com to find if what you’re buying has been listed anywhere, then you travel to the place to see if it’s been sold yet!

aha! this makes way more sense.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Magmarashi posted:

I play so lazily that I'm not sure I'll ever run out of just dicking around and doing quests to have to worry about 'endgame' content

I’ve been playing zone by zone in story order and it’s honestly absurd how much questing there is to do. It just feels like one big pool of adventure that I can just submerge myself in whenever I want.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

When do you get to the look cool part? I look like a stupid rear end in a top hat.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Private Speech posted:

You'll probably want at least some styles unlocked though, you can get the basic ones off player shops or by stealing (which is pretty fun on it's own).

drat wtf this sounds rad.

Comrade Koba posted:

identical quests copy-pasted between zones

I'm in Deshaan and I'm already starting to feel this. I've been kind of trying to convince myself I can just do the story quests and skip the sidequests but then it's like drat, why am I even playing this game?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I’m starting to think I should probably play Elder Scrolls 3 before I get much deeper into this.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I was thinking I’d probably save thieves guild and dark brotherhood for an alt. I can’t imagine getting into those when I think of my nord as a more upstanding sort of treasure hunter.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

g0del posted:

It's too bad that one of my favorite passive abilities is deep down the dark brotherhood skill line. Shadow Rider unlocks at rank 7, and greatly decreases the aggression radius from mobs while mounted.

Goddamn that’s too good to pass up.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Dreissi posted:

Also, if I have the Plus subscription can I play the most current expansion (Elsweyr)? Can't seem to wayshrine there.

Plus does not provide access to the latest chapter.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

All this talk of housing makes me wish I could buy the busted orc mansion in TES3’s Caldera.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I think this would be my favorite game of all time if it weren't for the narrative through-line. I'm a sucker for narrative consistency, which means I feel like I have to do each map strictly, in order, to the most I feel I can reasonably complete it which.... kind of sucks because I know if I could get over my poo poo and deal with the fact that Lyris appears in four places at once like a half-giant time traveler, there's a lot of cool stuff I could do. Plus leveling goes by too fast in this game to play it in such a constrained manner.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Doctor Zero posted:

I would not spend CP on mount speed increases until you train up your riding speed if you haven't already (and it sounds like you haven't). As a bosmer with run speed boosts, I can outrun all but the maxed-out mounts all day long. I usually don't even use my mount because I can run farther and faster than my moose. :haw:

drat, I need to roll a Bosmer!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Isn’t that what happened in Anvil?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

A friend of mine informed me that I do not actually need to be following the quest lines in release order. This is nice because I've been burning out on Cadwell's Silver, but on the other hand... what else would I do? Is randomly hopping around zones really that gratifying? Sure, I'd like to see Vvardenfell and Summurset and Blackwood, but in the end I'm just going to be following questlines and randomly meandering towards map objectives there too right?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sounds like I'm just looking at general burnout. I played a lot in my first month, and finished the Daggerfall Covenant and the Main Quest in that time. I know it's unrealistic, but in the back of my mind I'm always wanting it to be more like Elder Scrolls 3. I know in the end of the day it's all just quests but there's a certain je ne sais quoi to questing in "proper" Elder Scrolls games that I feel like Online sort of lacks. The lore and stories are mostly great though. Like, it's not really bad questing. It's just hard to shake that feeling that I'm running on a treadmill.

So yeah, probably just burnout. Maybe it'll be enough to leave Cadwell's Silver alone for a time and just quest in the DLC that specifically lights up my lights. Wrothgar, Morrowind, Clockwork City, Summurset, Elsewhere, Graymoor, and Blackwood honestly all look fun. I haven't been jumping straight to them because I'm assuming in substance they would be very much like just questing where I'm already at, so why not just do it in order?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Pug Rodeo posted:

I mean, they’ve all got their own main plot line and a change of scenery so there’s that. If you’re just burned out on the very act of doing quests though that’s not going to fix it.

I will say if I had done Caldwell’s Silver rather than continuing the game I likely would no longer be playing myself. Faction wars are boring.

I'm going to try and see if a change of scenery will help. I originally saw all these guides that really stressed The Correct Story Order, which is a loathsome way to play the game, but I had been lead to believe there was a great narrative coherence that relied on it. A friend of mine has recently lead me to believe that issue is exaggerated and that the zones are actually reasonably self-contained. I had played through Daggerfall Covenant and I felt like that really benefited from playing in order, but that's probably more of a base game thing?

Anyway, my guild is taking me to kill dragons in Elsewhere this evening and that should be a great change of pace.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

No one spoil me on it, but I am so excited to see what Balmora looks like in ESO. I took a gander at Seyda Neen earlier and I felt my heart flutter with familiarity. It makes no sense for Seyda Neen to be present in that form in 2E, but drat it looks awesome.

I've also always wanted to play an Argonian bandit in Skyrim for some reason so I'm thinking of rolling one up and getting into some trouble outside Riften or something.

Honestly looking way more forward to my play session now that I know it's fine to just mix and match. I have this weird tendency to get into completionist mode with a game at first blush but I think I'll try to put that mindset off for a while.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I ended up letting my curiosity drive me to Summurset and I'm so glad I did. In the end I was doing the same thing I was doing in Malabal Tor, but Summurset is way freakin' better. The environment is so much more fun to explore. It is absolutely gorgeous. The quests and delves are better too. I do not really know why but I just enjoyed it way more.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I am thinking about making a Stamblade this weekend. It would be my first alt. I guess to be efficient I will want to have my main craft some Training gear to help. Are there any particular sets I should craft or should I just use regular Medium Armor and weapons until my character reaches level 50?

E: Also is solo bow/bow a thing? Because I would like it to be.

100 degrees Calcium fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jul 17, 2021

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

So I take it the account-wide achievements didn't totally destroy the game? I have to admit I didn't like the sound of it, but it doesn't appear to have halted the game's momentum.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

If I'm not looking or harvesting everything in sight, the game gets way less fun. I think the way the game is set up to be a never-ending grab fest is one of its better point.

And now I'm doing Thieves Guild, which is like veteran looting, for an extra challenge.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Mercurius posted:

DB gives the greatest reward of all: a reduction in aggro range while mounted.

Guess I'm goin' killing!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I have been levelling a Breton magSorc, but I'm starting to think I'd rather play a Stamina character. Should I just respect the Breton even though her race is not inclined to stamina builds, or should I make and level a seperate character with a more ideal race? If it matters, I'm interested mostly in solo-ing but also Veteran Dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I guess everyone else already knew this, but dang Wrothgar is so fun. The zone story quest had me hooked, I love that it was paced with assumptions that I would sometimes want to just go out and do other things in the zone.