Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
I was thinking of trying out ESO but it's a bit discouraging. Can a solo player get anything cool or are they just boxed out from most of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

I said come in! posted:

Ooh no! You get access to pretty much the entire game. It's very solo friendly in my opinion. The biggest selling point of ESO is all of the solo quests and stories. It really is designed as an Elder Scrolls game that just happens to have some multiplayer in it.

Private Speech posted:

It's 90% a solo game actually, and 9% of the other 10% is pub groups. Basically only the raid-equivalents or the open-world PVP (and even that doesn't require it as such) really need a group.

Thanks! That's good to hear. Is it impossible to get a house or somewhere to store all your crap or is that possible with some work?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Everything is possible with some work. Houses in general are quite accessible, however their primary purpose is decoration. House storage exists, but requires time investment to be able to buy in game, but it's not hard. Bank storage is available right away, though.

Storage and inventory space in the game is in a weird place where there is plenty of it, but the default amounts are laughably low and increasing them requires gold and various systems that might not be obvious.

Bag space: start at 60, can upgrade in batches of 10 for increasing gold amounts up to 140. Can also, separately, upgrade by one slot a day through the horse trainer. So max 200.

Bank space: starts at 60, can go up to 240 by buying 10 slot upgrades at increasing prices.

ESO+ the monthly sub, doubles bank space and comes with a craft bag taking mats out of the inventory juggling equation. It is not necessary at all, but is very convenient.

Housing storage comes in the form of chests. 4 30bslot chests and 4 60 slot chests. They can be bought in one of three ways: writ vouchers which are a crafter currency that requires you to max crafting and do writs. It's the "cheaper" way, but takes time and the items are bound so there's no easy gold bypass. Tel var, which is a PVP currency. This is hard to accumulate and the price, relative to what else you can get for the telvar, is way too high. Third option is real money.

The best choice is to own Summerset DLC, max jewelry crafting, and do some blue jewelry writs. People don't like them because they're not good value, but they're still acceptable value (usually) if you just want to get the chests. If you decide to do this ask for help in discerning which writs to do.

Thank you! This will be very helpful. I only played a few hours of ESO a few years ago so I'm going in pretty blind to all of its systems and what nots.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Thanks, guys for telling me a bit about the game. I'm really enjoying it even though I'm only a baby level 21. I got ESO Plus and wow the craft bag is great. I'm not sure how you could play without it. I guess you could but it would be a forever hassle.

edit: I'm still leery about selling some stuff that makes up the sets and things since I'm not exactly sure how all that work, but at least I have some space for it for now.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 19, 2021

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Fruits of the sea posted:

+
The highest level items are CP 160, anything below that can safely be tossed. Set items will automatically be added to your collection as they are vendored or deconstructed, and way later in the game you'll be able to craft high level versions of everything in the collection.

That's good to know. I'm getting used to selling/deconstructing things that appear special. I'm only level 30.

I also have questions about guilds. I've just started trying to buy things from guilds and is there like some easy way to comparison shop or to find a guild store that sells in lower quantities? Like I need only a couple dozen of something which I don't think are particularly rare I just haven't come across a lot of them, but the prices seem really high per item and also everywhere I've checked are selling them in stacks of like a hundred, when I need nothing like that amount as a dumb baby 30.

Mustang posted:

Unless you plan on doing a bunch of veteran dungeons and trials you don't even really need to worry too much about which sets you're using. They all mostly have pretty neat and useful effects, especially with the full 5 piece bonus. Use whichever one sounds the coolest or works with your playstyle the best, even if it's not the most optimal. Mix and match sets, the full bonus requires only 5 pieces and you obviously have way more than 5 equipment slots.

Honestly ESO is so easy you could be butt naked at cp 160 and you could still do all of the solo stuff just fine.

I'm hoping to do that stuff but it's obviously a long ways off for me!

I'm going to start some of the battlegrounds stuff, but I don't have a mic and kinda expect everyone to yell at me for sucking.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

On pc there's tamriel trade centre, a website that compiles many prices and makes things searchable and filterable, but your microphone comment makes me think you're on console, in which case no, there's no easy way to comparison shop. You can use the TTC website to give you a sense of relative rarity, things that are cheap on PC will be cheap on console and vice versa, but the actual price numbers won't correspond. Something that's 20k on PC might be 10k on a different platform. Even NA/EU have different economies.

Mats are sold in large quantities because there's a limit of 30 sales slots, so unless it's a really expensive rare material it's not worth listing in small stacks.

Thanks. I'm learning more about how it all works.

Drone posted:

Rediscovered ESO as a chill as gently caress bathrobe-and-slippers MMO over the past week of Christmas vacation and it kinda feels great.

It's fun times! I met a naked, hungover nord!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I'm about to hit 50 and have no idea how the CP are going to work. I also just started playing PvP for the first time ever in a game. My teams did pretty good without any helpful contributions on my part!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

The first bunch of CP levels go fast. Just dump points into the passives and you won't go wrong. Each individual CP point is pretty worthless, but they add up. When you get high enough or stop finding passives that seem worthwhile, you can stop and take a look at the slottables. If you do that too early you'll just be frustrated by not being able to actually put points into things that seem interesting.

So can you shed some like on if the CP levels fill the same stuff like my slottables and stuff I unlock now, or is it an entirely different tree?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It's entirely different.

All CP things are gameplay passive. Some CP things are fully passive in that you put the points in and you have them. The slottables are "passive when slotted" meaning you have to decide which 4 you want to slot in each tree.

There are 3 trees. Roughly Green: non-combat, Red: Defense, Blue: Offense.
Each tree has separate points, so you're never trading one off for another. On the flip side, this, plus the fact that most things get filled in groups of 5/10/15, means a single CP point means little.
CP levels go up super fast at the start, then each level requires a tiny bit more than the previous one. Going from CP10 to 160 is roughly comparable to going from 45 to 50.

You can change slottables roughly at will (there's a short cooldown and you can't switch in combat) and respec is 3k gold.

The CP trees are trees with prerequisites so while a CP node might require 50 points, you might not be able to actually reach it until you have 150 or 200 points. CP 600(200 in each tree) or so is where you start to have decisions to make rather than just putting points in passives. It sounds daunting, but 600 isn't hard to get to with the new CP system. On the flip side, 1500-1600 is about where the power ends, you can get all the passives and 4 full slottables, so it's just about flexibility from there, being able to have multiple slotables you can switch without respeccing.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for that! So do the skyshards still go to my regular skill tree I have now? I'm almost to 50 now and I don't have nearly everything unlocked on this tree that I want...

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Yeah, skyshards and quests and dungeons still go to the normal skills.
There are plenty of skill points in the game for everything you'd want, though it can take some grinding.

Here's an image of all the skill points as of Blackwood:

There are an additional 9 for the deadlands storyline, 2 from the 6 skyshards and 1 each from the last 2 dungeons, Red Petal Bastion and Dread Cellar. So the game is up to 494 total skill points.

So do dungeons and public dungeon group bosses for some quick skill points if you don't want to do quests or skyshards. Only 64 of the 494 come from leveling up. 50 come from PVP of which the last 40 are hard to get if you don't PVP regularly.

This is extremely helpful. Part of the fun of the game has been to discover how to play it since it gives you virtually no guidance.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Diephoon posted:

Normal (non DLC) dungeons are so trivial you can steamroll them with a gaggle of clueless newbies. If you have at least one high Champion level player in your group they will probably solo the whole thing if you let them.

Speaking as a clueless newbie I can confirm I have had no problem beating a dungeon with 3 other clueless newbies.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I got an email that if you link your twitch and eso account and watch the live stream tomorrow you get a giant crab.

So if you want a giant crab you know what to do.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Doctor Zero posted:

Yeah, just did this myself. Hint: you link from the Bethesda site, not twitch even though the link brings you to twitch. :iiam:

This was very helpful to me!

Diephoon posted:

Rest assured I will still claim my free disgusting crab friend

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Their system to give us our crab is broken...

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It works on the regional channels. https://twitch.tv/bethesda_de

Yay! Thanks.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

PTS is up, account wide achievements are fully account wide. Progress for counting achievements (kill x things, learn x things, do x dailies) is account wide. So the grindy achievements are much less grindy for people who play multiple characters.

I feel like I don't like this, although I'm new so maybe I'm missing something. Why would anyone want this? It seems like it takes a lot of the fun out of multiple characters if when you start up a new character they've already accomplished everything.

Also, I just hit 300. Is there really that much difference between a 300 character and like a 2000 character. There doesn't seem to many big leaps with the champion points to make you that much better. But again, I know very little.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

It is being quite badly received. There are multiple things people want, this implementation does one of them while obliterating the rest. Right now one time rewards are (skins, dyes, etc), but titles and the achievements aren't.

Some people want accountwide titles to be able to say "I did X" on an alt. A lot of people (including me) want accountwide achievements as a summary of what you've done, something over the top of the current character level achievements. Some people want the really grindy achievements to be account wide, especially the RNG ones, because getting that random monster trophy on an alt sucks.

None of those people really wanted this, although not everyone in those categories is annoyed by this extreme implementation. There is a fraction of the userbase who wants this because they don't view replayability for achievements as meaningful and want that finality.

I really don't know where this is going to go, because ZOS does not generally make significant changes from PTS to live, but this has some really strong pushback beyond the usual.

Big leaps, no, but significant yes, though only up to about 1600. 300 is where you can get enough to be noticeable, 750-900 is around where you get most of the power, 1400-1600 is where you get max power out of the system. Past that it's just flexibility. Overall CP gives meaningful but not game changing bonuses.

Good to know. Also I might not be using my champion points correct. My main character is just a hodgepodge of whatever I think is good. My alt is the one where I'm actually following a guide and trying to optimize. But I still haven't gotten to any of the dlc or anything so everything I'm doing is still basic.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Other than the two water ones (Nirnroot and Water Hyacinth) no. Pretty sure any flower node can give any flower. The key to them is that they're hard at the beginning, but they give back more than they take, so eventually you get enough to not need to search things out.

By far the best way is to invest some gold in getting a small reserve from guild traders to start. Once you get going, most mats aren't an issue. I haven't had a provisioning mat issue since my first week. Oko is the only enchanting mat I've had to buy, because I slack on the surveys. For alchemy it took longer, but I haven't had to buy anything except Mudcrab Chitin in a long long time. (I've given up on the Violet Coprinus master writ once my supply finally ran out, that thing is almost as expensive as cornflower no). Hirelings help with enchanting and Provisioning.

For alchemy it's worthwhile to buy a stack of the ingredients to start you off. I would also recommend buying a stack of Fleshfly Larva and a stack of stinkhorn/Luminous Russula/Emetic Russula (whichever is cheapest) and power leveling up to 20 so you don't have a Cornflower writ.

For Provisioning, buy or steal a bunch of apples and buy some fish, make apple baked fist to level to 50, then you can make the three drinks and three foods and never worry about other things.

The provisioner hireling can get you some mats regularly. The return in ingredients on provisioning writs is super high, so you'll make back what you need really quick.

For enchanting the enchanter merchant sells the blue runes you need. The only other ones you need are oko, makko, deni and ta. The latter three are cheap and oko is 100-120, which is still cost effective for the writ. Buy some stacks, get the hireling and go.

As you get surveys you'll be able to get runes and alchemy ingredients from those.

I'm really enjoying the stories my hirelings tell me. An unexpected treat.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Started playing in mid-December. I am not a good video game player in general. Tonight I solo'd my first dolmen. Just a few weeks ago that would have seemed impossible. Yay!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

SplitSoul posted:

*glyph noises intensify*

Performance enchanting doping!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

SplitSoul posted:

Finally.

Now to decide whether to sell or use. It was extremely expensive in treasure maps, but with the other motif pages dropping in the meantime I'll still come out ahead.

I mean, once you get the Cat Whisker Ear Scraper you kinda wanna hold onto it.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

SplitSoul posted:

:hmmyes:

Well gently caress it. I am poor now.

Rock solid!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

PSA for anyone who isn't playing regularly. There is a surprise event going on where you get double the XP, gold, and stuff from nodes due to Zenimax breaking dungeons on PC with the newest update.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Just had a 2v2v0 capture the relic BG. Incredible game performance on PCNA today.

The real shocker is you got a capture the relic BG game!

I wonder if they are going to push back the Jester Festival since everything is broken on PC. I was looking forward to that.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

They changed the BG queue options again last Monday (on PC, console players may have to wait another week), so all the BG types are back and equally likely.

That should be cool if and when it works right.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

So once you're at a somewhat high level and have the fighters/mage/undaunted lines all maxed is there any reason to do the dailies for them? It doesn't seem worth the xp/gold for the effort. Am I missing something?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Fighters/mages give you a cheap motif, if you haven't completed it and don't want to shop guild traders for it, but otherwise not really.

The undaunted pledges give you keys which you can use to get undaunted shoulders from random boxes, so yes there are reasons to do pledges. The undaunted delve daily gives trash though, so that one you can forget if you've leveled the skill line.

Good point on the pledges. I was thinking of the delves. Didn't know about the motifs. Thanks!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I'm on xbox and yesterday or so the active dolmen in a zone started pulsating on my map. Did they just add this or has it always done that and I have never ever noticed it? I feel like I'm going crazy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

They added it back in November.

Wow. It's nuts I've never noticed that.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

It'll be my first Jester and Jubilee so I'm looking forward to it. Plus the Caldwell cat which might be the 1st thing I buy.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Hope you've got bank space or a good trading guild, because Jubilee will dump you full of style pages, and if you don't have ESO+ it'll also dump you full of mats.

There might be a free trial of the game which would be a good time to make a personal guild bank if you don't have one.

You mean dupe style pages? Those probably won't sell for much during the event, right? I have ESO+ so bring on the mats. I've become part of two pretty good trading guilds somehow, but I've barely dabbled in selling stuff. I want to do more of it, tho.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

valuum posted:

I mean, look at this glorious beast

(so close to skipping the timg)

e: VVV Love makes you do craazy things

Needs to be posted again.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Something that may be obvious to some people but wasn't to me:

a guild buddy clued me in that dungeon drops are bound to account and not to character.

Now I started grinding sets for my baby dps character on my healer, and it's way easier / faster.

As long as your baby dps character is at least CP160!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Doctor Zero posted:

I have a bunch I want to get rid of. I just cannot bring myself to destroy them. :negative:

I'll check the guild vendors. thanks.

Are you on Xbox because I'd be happy to take them off your hands?

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Welp! I've become obsessed with collecting that stuff. This festival is great.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

SplitSoul posted:

(ignore the staff, gonna rework this guy into dual sabers)

Mad scientist dude looks like someone from an entirely different game. Good work on all of these!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Does anyone know how the loot drops work for the festival? Like what motifs are included? Do super rare ones drop or is it just stuff you can buy in a guild store for a couple thousand gold? I got one that claimed it came "from the rarest of chests in Vvardenfell" but I haven't been there yet and don't know if the game is mocking me or not.

I've also gotten what could be described as "enough" spider legs.

Doctor Zero posted:

Here’s my Main. Bosmer Warden - Loolea. Yeah I know it’s a standard costume but it looks perfect on her so I never change it. She’s also the shortest the sliders will go. I’ve been playing variations of her in MMOs since launch EQ.

She also likes to participate in events first-hand.

Loolea owns.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Nearly all motifs can drop except:
The ones only available as full books (1-9 common, 10 Imperial, 11-14 Purples books, 37 Ebony from writ vouchers)
Militant Ordinator (only buyable with AP in cyro), Soul Shriven (quest)
Event motifs (31. Skinchanger, 42. Hollowjack, 63. Dremora)
All antiquities motifs
28. Ra Gada, 80. Shield of Senchal 81. New Moon Priest just because.

So yes, trader value is irrelevant. Buyant Armiger (I guess that's what you got) or Dro-m'Athra are just as likely to drop as Draugr.

Here's a full list:
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/601872/complete-anniversary-jubilee-motif-list-2022-edition/p1

Holy crap that seems like a pretty sweet deal.

edit: Sweet I got the head Buyant Armiger. It looks rad.

1glitch0 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 10, 2022

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

Snowy posted:

My move lately is all sliders to the right, then mess with the face a little. Big belly, big butt, big hands and feet. It makes you realize how few chunky characters you see.

A few months ago I saw someone in Davon's Watch who looked exactly like Pam from Archer. Name was Pam Sploosh or something and she was in her underwear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I think there could be some fun with more sets of different numbers of pieces.

As for the card game:

They said an average game would take about 20 minutes which seems way, way too long. Also each player has 90 seconds (!) to make a move. Hence the game taking like 20 minutes. I can see them cutting that down to 30 seconds a move real quickly.