Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

If you're in guilds you can teleport to a guild member who is online and it takes you to the nearest wayshrine for free.
If not you can teleport to any of your houses for free (you should have at least one of the free apartments) though it's an extra loading screen this way. The Vulkhel Guard apartment is right near a wayshrine, the Rimmen one is even better if you have that DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

Also I don’t use echoing vigor because it’s on the assault skill tree and I can’t be arsed to PVP.
You don't need to do any PVP to get it now. Just go to Cyrodill, do the intro quest which is just talking to some NPCs in the base and firing a couple of practice assault weapons and that should be enough AP to get Vigor.
Edit: Unless you mean the morph? I think you can still get enough for that too without any PVP.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Alucard posted:

Finally starting to get into the game a bit after I picked up most of the basic expansions, any recommendations for a first time player? I know I can go through any of the content without fear of level issues, but I figured I'd start with the morrowind content then shift over to skyrim.

Only other thing - if I want to do any dark brotherhood content is that a different set of dlc or did getting this version include what I need? I started as a nightblade and have heard that some of the dark brotherhood content helps me do my sneaky stabby stealy that I appreciate so much in normal elder scrolls games
That version got you all the major expansions. It did not get you all the DLC. In particular it does not get you the Dark Brotherhood DLC. ESO+ does get you access to the rest of the content, or you can buy it piecemeal. An ESO+ free trial also lets you play that content and unlock skill lines, but you just missed one last month so that's a ways away.
The zone DLC you're missing is:
Dark Brotherhood
Thieves Guild
Orsinium
(Those three can be gotten in a bundle together)
Murkmire
Clockwork City (pairs with Summerset and Morrowind)
Dragonhold (pairs with Elsweyr)
Markarth (pairs with Skyrim)

There's also a bunch of dungeon DLC.

So your options are a) get ESO+ for temporary access to all the content b) Buy crowns with real money to buy them (ESO+ comes with crowns so this is probably not the best idea, at least wait for a sale if you do this). c) Get enough gold to trade the gold for crowns from other players (price is high at the moment) or d) wait for an ESO+ trial.

The Blade of Woe, which I assume is what you heard about, is cool but it's more useful for making your own fun as an assassin. It's not really helpful in actually doing content (outside of the DB quests) or making your character sneakier.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

nessin posted:

One new thing that has to be called out is you need access to a transmutation station to use the set collection system (or at least to create gear that you've gotten collected). Which is only accessible via Clockwork City or buying an home furnishing from the store. At least I don't know of any other ways to get one, there may be an alternative out there.
You can buy it with 1250 writ vouchers or from a guild vendor for about a million gold as well. A lot of guild halls have it, though. The goon guild hall has it.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mordiceius posted:

- I saw there are four "classes." These are picked at character start, I assume? You can't swap classes? I'm leaning toward tank. For my MMO past - I originally only played a healer (priest, and then paladin) when I played and raided in WoW from 2005-2010. I started playing FFXIV in 2013 and played a healer (white mage and then astrologian) up until about 2017 when I switched to tank (Dark Knight) and haven't looked back since.

- Within the four classes, how much variance is there within each class? Can you do everything as every class (though certain are better than others)?
There are 6 classes, 4 base + 2 more you can buy or which may be included based on what you buy. You cannot switch classes. You can make 8 characters (up to 18 if you buy more slots), so you can easily make one or more characters of each class. Classes have different skill lines, but there are a lot of useful non-class skills and every class can play every role. Some may be a bit better or easier than others, but unless you're doing top level endgame content you can make whatever class/race combo do whichever role you want.

quote:

- What is the split between PVP and PvE focus? I don't really give a gently caress about PvP. I never cared too much for PvP and WoW and barely ever touched PvP in FFXIV (because MMO pvp is generally bad).
You don't need to touch PvP at all. There are a few useful skills that you need to PvP for, but you can ignore them, or do just a little bit in order to access them. There's one PvP zone, one PvPvE zone and battlegrounds which are 4v4v4 short (15 min max) arenas. They're all separate things, and each is pretty separate from the rest of the game.

quote:

- How solo-friendly is this? I don't mind grouping for dungeons or anything like that, but just in my general leveling/questing gameplay, how is solo-friendly is it?
Very. Except for some dungeons and explicit group content you can solo everything. Top level players can solo a lot of the dungeons that are meant for groups, even.

quote:

- Is the endgame vertical or horizontal progression?
Mostly horizontal. Level scaling actually makes the entire game mostly horizontal. Pre level 50 you get skill points and attribute points on a per character basis, which mostly guides where you want the character to focus. Post level 50 is account wide progression with extra special points that lower ability costs or raise power, but don't fundamentally alter what you can do. Gear stops leveling pretty early in this system, so once you get to that level you can wear max gear. There's a new system now that lets you reconstruct gear you've found at lower levels at max level.

quote:

- Cost wise - there's the premium sub, which seems cool and good and all, but what's the initial up front costs? Is there one package that contains all the expansions? A base game and expansions are piecemeal?
Content is: Base Game, Chapters, DLC zones, Dungeons.
Base game includes a lot of zones, and a bunch of dungeons.
When you buy the base game you get the base plus maybe some chapters depending on what you buy.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/306130/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online/
Standard edition is base plus morrowind (I think this includes one other class, Warden)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1205430/The_Elder_Scrolls_Online__Greymoor/
The Elder Scrolls Online - Greymoor gets you base plus all the chapters (Greymoor, Elsweyr, Summerset and Morrowind) This should include both extra classes (Warden and Necromancer). The collector's edition just adds cosmetic stuff.

Chapters are basically zones with more content than DLC zones plus something extra (the a class each for Morrowind and Elswyr, a skill line each for Summerset and Greymoor)

DLC Zones and extra Dungeons are all bought piecemeal and not included with any base game version. They're bought with the ingame currency crowns. They're quite expensive though you can trade gold for them in game (other players are buying them with cash for your gold). You can buy the chapters and the missing class piecemeal too if you don't buy them when you buy the base game.

If you sub you get access to all of the above except the latest chapter, sub comes with crowns, a little more than needed for one dungeon, a little less than needed for one zone, the non-current chapters cost the same as two dungeons.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mordiceius posted:

So... if I read this correct, the best value currently would be to buy "The Elder Scrolls Online - Greymoor" for $20
Yes

quote:

and I would have basically all the content in the game (currently)
Not quite.

quote:

that I could play endlessly?
yes

quote:

And then if I like it I could add a sub eventually?
Yes.

If you buy the $20 Greymoor you get base plus the 4 chapters, plus the two extra classes.
This is 22 PvE zones +1 PvP zone, +1 PvPvE zone, plus the 4 zones from the chapters.

You would still be missing 7 DLC crown store only zones. I have all these without having subbed by having bought them with gold from people.

There are similarly a few more dungeons that again are crown store only but the vast majority are main game accessible.

So no it doesn't get you *everything* but I'd say it gets you more than enough. If you decide you want access to the rest you can either sub or buy them with money or with in game gold depending on what you prefer. That $20 edition is more than enough for months of playing and if you decide to stick with the game you'll know what your preferred method of accessing the rest of the content is at that point.

Sub gets you the following:
1650 crowns
Access to DLC you haven't bought.
A craftbag that makes inventory management easier for crafting mats.
Double bank inventory that isn't really necessary at all.
Increased cap on what you can put in houses, and some other nice to have I guess but totally forgettable stuff.

You don't need the sub to play anything you've bought. I've never subbed and never will. They do have free trials every 4-6 months for a few days so I've seen what the sub is like. DLC access and the craftbag are the main reasons people sub. The craftbag is nice, inventory management can be quite a pain, ironically more at the beginning than later. It's workable if you prioritize upgrading your personal and bank inventory and either ignore a bunch of mats, sell them, or make alts solely for the purpose. You can also make a personal guild bank for an hour of your time when there's a free trial of the game by making 9 accounts and having them join a guild you make. This has helped me a lot. Now that all my characters are at max gear level inventory management is surprisingly easy even without a sub. If you value time over money the sub is probably worth it, otherwise it isn't really. If you don't sub I strongly recommend upgrading your inventories as soon as you can as often as you can. You can also upgrade inventory with horse training, it's long term though, only once a day but it adds up.

Mordiceius posted:

Oh, I was just basing things off this -

You can totally sorc tank as well, though it is the least convenient option.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Nov 30, 2020

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ineptitude posted:

If i have played on EU so far, will i have to start completely from scratch if i swap to US?
Will i at least get my champion points carried over, since they are account wide?
Nothing in game carries over, not even DLC bought with crowns. The ESO+ sub carries over and chapters bought with cash (not crowns).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Battlegrounds gets you quite a few if you're willing to do them.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Guzwar posted:

PC. I should probably get at least one mod at some point, yeah.
Get the lazy writ crafter mod for the daily writs, at least.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, right! So THAT'S what those guild traders are for. Thanks for that - will do!
By the way, speaking of odd vendors etc, what's the deal with bankers? I noticed I could "buy" one for my house, as well as find them in towns etc...so what, judging from the wiki it seems to let me store items and the like. Can I then retrieve them from any banker in the world, or only certain ones? And is it free, or pricey? Not sure what it'd be useful for, really. Especially since you don't lose anything when you die
Bank: Starts with 60 slots, you get a free upgrade, on reaching level 16 with your first character, to 70. You can buy increasingly more expensive upgrades up to 240: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Banks
Bank inventory is the same at every banker and is shared between all your characters. It's useful to transfer between characters and because eventually you'll have too much stuff to store on your person.

The banker you can buy for you house is super expensive (real money or 1-2 million gold in a trade with someone else paying real money) and is purely a convenience thing, it's the exact same bank inventory as you can access from any world banker.

Bankers can also be used to browse guild banks or sell things in guilds you're in, the house banker doesn't let you do those things.

Major Isoor posted:

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what's a good means of accumulating money for newbies? (I'm level six) I've only managed to get around 600, from exploring and completing minor quests
Gold is level scaled, and not evenly, so even getting to level 20 or 25 will make a big difference. The loot you find in the world is also worth more as you level. That said, selling things on guild stores is much more profitable than quest gold, though daily quests, especially the crafting writs, are a nice quick way to get daily gold. I've made my money mostly through daily writs on multiple characters and the hirelings bringing me mats every day.

SplitSoul posted:

The quickest way is stealing, but it requires the Thieves Guild DLC and can get pretty tedious in the long run, as there's limits on how many items you can fence per day and increasing them requires levelling the skill line. Stolen goods come in different rarities, so maximising your daily haul means discarding whites, but naturally it will take longer to accumulate the daily allotment going only for greens and above. Or you can just fill your inventory with a few runs around the ships at the Daggerfall Docks, which are conveniently free of nosy guards and NPCs, and then spend the rest of your time playing the actual game.
Stealing does not require the Thieves Guild DLC. The only advantage the Thieves Guild DLC gives is that when you level up the skill it has a passive that lets your bounty decay much faster. Don't get me wrong, this is incredibly useful, but it's far from necessary, especially if you're cautious about where you're stealing. It's more useful if you're pickpocketing or murdering or trying to steal in busy places. If you're just trying to steal for profit then there are plenty of places with no guards and minimal witnesses where you can mostly avoid a bounty in the first place, and if you steal as the last thing you do for the day any normal size bounty should be gone by the next time you log in.

The price of stolen objects is fixed, so it's a very good way to make money at low level if you don't want to sell on guild stores, less good at higher levels. Though as you level up you legerdemain skill you get a better proportion of the higher quality loot (white is 40, green is 100, blue is 250, purple 1500). If you're going to steal put one skill point in Trafficker, it raises how many items you can sell per day from 50 to 110. The other upgrades aren't worth a skill point since they only increase the limit by 10 each.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jan 7, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Major Isoor posted:

Thanks for that - great info! Speaking of the thieves guild DLC, how's the Dark Brotherhood? Is that good for cash, too? And how high-risk is it, bounty-wise? Seems like it could potentially backfire and make life harder sometimes, for a low-level like me
Dark Brotherhood skill line has a passive that lowers the bounty for killing people. Also bounty deprecates by time, only the amount scales, so being low level isn't any more dangerous, you have less money but your bounties are lower. So if a level 5 gets caught stealing their bounty would be 8, while a level 50's bounty would be 100, but both would take 6 minutes to disappear (these numbers aren't accurate but roughly like that). Also DB gives you the Blade of Woe which lets you kill most NPCs with a single click, and you get no bounty if no one sees you. So killing people, if you're careful, with the blade of woe isn't too risky.

As for whether it's profitable, I don't think so. You get to steal one thing off a dead body and it's the same kind of stuff you can steal from chests. From a thieving perspective the best thing about it is that if you find those places (ships, manors, etc) with sparse NPCs and no guards, you can murder the relevant people first and then not worry about whether they see you, but it's not a big deal, they're generally not too hard to avoid if you're willing to wait a little bit for them to move away.

I haven't done much DB, so maybe there's other stuff with it that I'm missing. I know there's a passive which gets you a free something every day which is a couple hundred gold worth either selling to a vendor or on a guild store but I haven't gotten that on any characters.

That's not to say it's not worth getting for other reasons, there's a combo pack of 3 for the price of 2 with Thieves guild, DB and Orisinium which goes on sale for half off from time to time. And they're all included in a sub if you're doing that.

For reference in terms of earning gold in game:
An hour of thieving can get you 4000-15000 gold if you find a good place to do it, of which there are a number.
Doing the 7 daily writs, which on PC takes maybe 5 minutes if you have everything you need which you won't at the start but isn't hard to get once you start, gives 4200 at level 50, 2800 at level 25, 2100 at level 13, 1400 at level 6. Here's the gold reward table to see how it scales per level.
Mat farming for an hour can get you 30000-50000 in mats, but you have to a) find a loop that is reasonably efficient and doesn't have others taking the mats, b) you have to sell things through a guild and c) it's tedious and boring.

Thieving rewards are instanced, so while it's less profitable per minute than mat farming you're not competing with other players for the loot so it's more consistent. Writs are very profitable per time spent, but you can only do 6 or 7(if you have summerset) per character per day, so there's a hard cap.

All of that said, getting gold that way isn't very necessary for questing or just playing the game, there's not much you actually need to buy. It is necessary for end game stuff, which unfortunately for you housing mostly falls into. Houses beyond the starter apartments are expensive, and most furnishings are expensive.

Also, since your original post mentioned the NPC merchants, note that there's very little that you should buy from them instead of buying from a guild store. The blue enchanting runes and the style materials for crafting armor/weapons are the only things that are regularly cheaper to buy from them vs guild stores. Sometimes a few furnishing plans are cheaper from them, but usually guild stores are the better bet, also NPC merchants only sell basic stuff.

Oh, also this: There are daily rewards for logging in and this month the 21st reward is 100,000. So if you login on 21 days, and claim the rewards each day, you'll get 100,000 gold on the 21st day. So even if you don't play every day, take 3 minutes to login and claim the daily reward.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Hakarne posted:

I dipped my toe back into this and I may or may not keep going. Is there a trade guild I can join without any minimum weekly sale amounts or anything? I seem to have been booted from everything except the goon guild... understandably as I haven't been logged in for at least a year or so
Yeah, there are a bunch. Search the guild finder, read the fine print. Also apply with whichever character has the most achievement points because I think some of them look at that as a proxy for "does this person know what a trade guild is and will they be around in a week." Try to get one with a base game trader and not in an outlaw refuge. You're unlikely to find one in the main hubs, but you should be able to find some in main cities in the other zones.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

a pale ghost posted:

Can you not open doors to adjoining areas when a guard is after you? I stole a sword and got trapped in the shop with a guard who wailed on me
No. The one exception is the outlaws refuge. Always be careful when stealing inside. If it's a big enough place like a palace you might be able to lose the guard for long enough to be able to open a door.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

a pale ghost posted:

Is there any sort of endgame for thieving?
If you have the Thieves guild DLC there are some repeatable missions that kind of function as a thieving end game. I'm not sure the occasional motif drops truly put it on the same level as the PvE or PvP endgames. Outside the DLC, I don't think so. All fully leveling the Legerdemain skill line does is raise the drop quality, and not by that much. I guess if you like pick-pocketing you can make your own endgame of pickpocketing nobles in Vvardenfell for rare motifs, and there are zones with rare furnishing plans that fetch a pretty penny, but it's all more RNG based than skill based.

If I'm missing something I'd love to know because thieving is fun, but I found it ultimately not that rewarding contentwise.

DoriDori240 posted:

Yes, but it requires you to PVP on a non-faction locked server.
Do you mean stuff like this? https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/431762/stealing-scrolls-with-spy-characters

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

a pale ghost posted:

I wasn't aware there were servers, I don't even remember choosing one
They're called campaigns in game. When you go to cyro you choose from three or four campaigns. One (or a couple I dunno) are alliance locked, meaning you can only get in with a character from that alliance. The non locked ones you can go in with a character of one alliance, then log out and log in with another character from another alliance.

None of this applies to BGs.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Doctor Zero posted:

fake edit: while trying to look this up I see that leads expire after 30 days?? Is that correct? That's extremely dumb.
You get leads even if you don't have Greymoor, and therefore can't do anything with them, so I'm pretty sure this is an attempt at pressuring people to buy the expansion.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

ESO+ free trial for a week. Fill up that craftbag, and get your Thieve's Guild and Dark Brotherhood skill lines unlocked.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Datamine says next chapter is Blackwood, not Skingrad as previously speculated. The actual announcement is in like 5 hours.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MH Knights posted:

Is there a decent summary/write-up of the presentation somewhere?
They said they're posting things tomorrow, but I think these are the key points:

New chapter is Blackwoods, between cyro and shadowfen. No new skills or classes, big feature is companions who will help everywhere except PVP, maybe, there was a lot of hedging and handwaving about how exactly they'll work or how strong they'll be.

Indriks replaced by a floating pet rock that morphs into things: a skin, a personality, a mount and a house.

CP gear cap is still 160, but overall cap increased to 3600 and system changed with a mix of always active passives and slotted passives and like 90 things to spend points on and it's coming in the next major update (in a month or two for live, but on PTS tomorrow so I guess theory crafting will come around soon enough). It's a cap increase, not a rescale, so fun grinding for everyone, but hopefully it won't be so bad. Supposedly a lot of it is more flavour than power so that people can get fully powered characters even if not near the cap.

Something about armor passives being changed or added to so that heavy/med/light have more differentiation.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Wait, so they moved Major Gallop from Rapid Maneuvers to a passive skill?

If I'm reading that right this essentially means horsies go fast for everyone with a single skill point. If so that's great. If I'm reading it wrong and it's only on the same condition as the rest of Continuous Attack (10 minutes after you capture a Lumber Mill, Farm, Mine, or Keep) then people are going to complain sooo much.

Also houses are now direct one way wayshrines, as opposed to one way wayshrines with an extra loading screen.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Fast mounts for everyone, it does work permanently and everywhere!

Also, possibly the most underrated thing in there:

quote:

Reduced load times when moving between zones.
I don't know how load times usually compare between PTS and live, but this was quite noticeable for me, much less than half the time. Within zone load times were pretty similar to live, so I hope this is real.

CP: Some of the prereq chains don't make much sense, but there are some incredibly powerful things in there. I have no clue if it's balanced well, but it is very much a conceptual improvement over the current system.

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jan 28, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Is this event worth messing with at all?
If you don't like PVP, go to cyrodill, do the intro quest, take a scouting mission, run out with a horse, click the button write a report, then run into enemy players so they kill you and you teleport back to the base.
That's like 10 minutes and gets you 2 of 3 daily tickets, which is enough for the pet rock fragments and the first morph thing.

If PVP frustrates you don't bother with Imperial city. You will die repeatedly while trying to do the quests.

If you have multiple characters and have never PVPed do the cyro thing with a different character each day, and then by the end you'll have enough alliance rank that you'll be able to get the perma fast horse passive skill when the next patch hits in a month.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Alright thanks for the tips. I just never really engaged in pvp in this game so I wasn't sure. I waited like 30mins in queue to get into a fight and then did a few intro missions, until Sheogoroth showed up in the base and I didn't know doing his quest takes you out so I just quit for the night instead of waiting another half hour to actually play again. RIP!
There are different instances you can choose for PVP. If you're just going in for the event it doesn't matter which one you're going into, so just look through them and pick the one that doesn't have a lock for your alliance and you won't have to queue for more than a minute.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Aceofblue posted:

I don't have enough skill points yet to really just go ham on putting things on my bars and testing things out yet (without paying for a skill respec each time).

I'm not good enough at this to offer feedback on those or any builds, but:

I'll say if you're on PC you can download the PTS build which is a test build of the game where nothing stays, and play around with changes there. You can make a new character that is max level and has access to any gear so you can see which things make a difference and maybe even try different classes you may be curious about.

Also, there are changes to the CP system coming in two weeks that will change the power curve. Top players are complaining about nerfs and how it increases the grind, but for you I think it'll raise the floor and help out a bit.

Also

quote:

I'm just in a total mishmash of like level 49-50 and CP 50 to 160 gear
I hope at least your weapons are 160, because yeah that'll make a difference. You should get a matching set or two, any kind of matching set at 160 will be a boost even if it's not a particularly good one.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

DoriDori240 posted:

With the new CP update, just want to signal boost this addon, as it is incredible:

Trastion posted:

I wish they would look at the mod community and see things like this and incorporate it into the actual game. I also play on PS and wish we had a LOT of the stuff that the PC crowd gets via Mods.
I absolutely agree in general, but in this particular case if they do that they may as well make everything in the green tree passive, which they should.

Most likely though, they'll just break it so the add on doesn't work.
For example:

quote:

Between PTS and live ZOS has implemented a hidden 15-second cooldown on swapping CP's!!!, I am therefore going to have to completely rewrite the addon to get around this cooldown as best as I can. My apologies

Considering how many convenience add-ons there are that they don't break it's pretty clear this is intentional. Doesn't affect me for now anyway, though, since I don't have enough CP to have more than 4 slottables.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

g0del posted:

constantly screwing around with my "ride fast" abilities sucks,
But this was unambiguously improved. Forget rapid maneuvers, put a point in continuous attack, now horsey go fast always without wasting a skill slot.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

atomicgeek posted:

This is driving me insane, and maybe somebody knows the answer. If not, well, I'll just knuckle down and disable my addons one at a time to find the culprit. This UI element appeared on my screen in the last couple of days:

I haven't added any addons recently, but ofc with the patch, a lot of them have updated. I'm trying to figure out how to disable the drat thing and having no luck. If anyone recognizes it, I'd love to know what addon it's part of.

Altholic is the cause. There's a setting to disable the checklist. Also it doesn't work because it gets stuck calculating your champion points, but if you're willing to spend a minute editing a text file you can get it working again.
https://www.esoui.com/downloads/info2140-LeosAltholic.html#comments

Basically just put -- on the lines mentioned in the post (not the top post, a couple of posts down.)

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Mr Hootington posted:

I like the CP change but the slottable CP skills are just a big gently caress you. Make them all passive and the system is good.
I wouldn't even mind the slottable aspect if the interface wasn't such complete trash. Stars are unlabeled without hovering, neither are your slotted stars, then, unlike skills, dragging and dropping isn't enough, you have to confirm your slotting as if you were changing CP allocation.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Trastion posted:

Is slotting CP skills going to be time consuming thing you have to constantly do or something? Or is it only going to be the try-hards that need to switch all the time between PVE & PVP?

I'm on PS5 so I haven't seen any of this stuff yet. I assumed it would be something you set once and then don't mess with unless you need to switch all your skills and stuff anyways.
For the combat skills it's only something you'll do if you're switching roles or PVE vs PVP, or a real "this dungeon needs these bonuses" tryhard but the green tree which is the non-combat tree is a bit annoying in that there's a bunch of useful things that should be available but only if you slot.

That said, you have to be pretty high CP to have enough slottables to need managing in the first place, and depending on how you play there's probably a primary slotting that you can keep on most of the time, especially if you have other characters.

I think this is the list of green tree slottables (keep in mind many have prereqs, so you can't get them without high CP or pathing directly to them, so some combinations require really high CP.)

Always useful:
Sustaining shadows (sneak cost) [I've never found sneak cost to be an issue, but it is a strong reduction]
Steed's Blessing (speed) [walking speed boost is nice]

Maybe:
Treasure Hunter (better chest loot) [nice if you loot chests]
Gifted Rider (increase horse speed) [10% is nice, but if you've maxed your horse and use the new 30% passive for a skill point this is an easy miss]
War Mount (no horse stamina) [Super expensive and I'd consider this useless]

In combat:
Liquid Efficiency (small chance of not consuming a potion) [I think this is 10%, nice bonus if you use a lot of potions]

Only on use:
Rationer (longer food duration, only necessary on consumption) [food already lasts pretty long with the skill points, but this is not bad]
Plentiful Harvest + Master Gatherer (mat harvesting) [always nice if you gather]
Meticulous Disassembly (better refining) [only really need it on one character]
Fade Away (useless bounty bonus)
Cutpurse's Art (pickpocketing) [good if you pickpocket]
Shadowstrike (Blade of Woeing) [good if you're using the Blade]
Infamous (fence selling) [good if you're fencing]
Friends in Low places (garbage bounty reduction)
Reel Technique+Angler (fishing) [I don't fish also you need a lot of CP just to reach these, they sound nice]
Homemaker (10% furnishing plan bonus)
Professional Upkeep (merchant repair cost)

Add-ons on PC let you slot these on demand, but even without that I think a bunch of these are garbage or only useful for specific playstyles.
I'm running PH+MG, Treasure hunter and Steed's Blessing and that feels like a good always on set for overland. In dungeons/trials I'd switch the two mat gathering ones for Liquid Efficiency and sustaining shadows, if I wasn't on PC I might put Rationer on even though it's only needed once an hour at most. That's a bit annoying, and I don't know how cumbersome the interface will be on a console.

The rest are very situational and not so strong. I've never repaired at a merchant, but I know some do and it's a big bonus if you do. The furnishing plans one seems pretty niche and probably going to be a victim of not being worth slotting and unslotting. Pickpocketing isn't a thing you do casually, so if you're doing that slotting shadowstrike, cutpurse and infamous and sustaining shadows would be smart, but it'd be slot when you're going to do that, then switch when you're done. The bounty/heat ones seem like garbage to me, just wasting points as prereqs, bounty/heat melts away with the TG skills and these CP slottables are laughably weak in comparison (like 9 minutes bounty reduction once a day and heat takes 5 seconds less to disappear). The mount ones are theoretically good, but not necessary or worth micromanaging.

It's something they could definitely have done better, but I don't think it's a gamebreaker. I think there's probably 4 viable setups: overland general running around, dungeons and trials where you need potions and food buffs, sneaking and stealing, and fishing. Those are pretty distinct and you'll need a lot of CP to have more than two of those available, so not too bad to switch when you enter a dungeon or go on a stealing spree or want to fish.

Meticulous disassembly is the annoying one, but the difference between 3/3 in the refining skill and 3/3+MD is not huge, so either you're a player who doesn't care to much and it's not worth switching, or you're a player who cares and you'll have a dedicated refiner/disassembler character and slot it only on them permanently.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Shredder posted:

Any benefit to buying the base game in the ESO store vs steam? I assume you can't cross-buy DLC and poo poo
You can buy DLC from bethesda or elsewhere and activate onto your steam version of the game (through the bethesda page). Most DLC is crown store, and you can buy crowns from bethesda or through steam, same with the sub.

The only difference is how you launch, you have to buy the base game how you want to launch. If you buy the base game twice you can link the two and the launch either way.

Lima posted:

Steam users used to have problems launching the game. Dunno if it's still an issue or if it could return in the future :shrug:
It's only an issue in that if steam's authorization server goes down then you can't launch if you only own through steam. In the past year it has happened once for a couple of hours.

So: Buy on steam, can buy DLC/crowns/sub on steam or through bethesda (or 3rd party), but because of the double login, if steam's auth server goes down you're locked out, might happen once or twice a year for an hour or two.

Buy through bethesda, can buy DLC/crowns/sub through bethesda (or 3rd party) [but not steam] but you're not dependent on steam to login.

I don't regret having gotten it through steam, since I always run steam.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

kirbysuperstar posted:

GMG has a sale on - what edition of Greymore or Blackwood do I need to buy if I only have the base game and want the other expansions? It's not especially clear.
https://www.greenmangaming.com/games/the-elder-scrolls-online-greymoor-pc/
Greymoor standard edition is what you want.

Collectors edition just adds a mount and and some extra cosmetics, not actual content.

The upgrade is only that specific expansion, the non-upgrade linked above includes Summerset, Elsewyr and Greymoor.

Blackwood is the upcoming expansion, and is not on sale. Even if you actually want it now you're better off buying the above and then buying the Blackwood upgrade, though the only new thing it brings besides the new zone is companions, so you're probably better off waiting on Blackwood until later in the year when it has a bigger discount.

Also Gamesplanet seems to have a lower price: https://us.gamesplanet.com/game/the-elder-scrolls-online-greymoor-download--1036-17

Peaceful Anarchy fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 8, 2021

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

MarcusSA posted:

So I guess my question is if I get the grey moor stuff what does that give me VS the paid subscription? I’m a little fuzzy on exactly how their system works.
Base Purchase: Base Game (23? Zones)+Morrowind
Greymoor: Base Game (23? Zones)+Morrowind+Summerset+Elsweyr+Greymoor
Those are the Chapters. Chapters are bigger zones with bigger stories and some extra thing:
Morrowind adds Warden Class
Summerset adds Jewelry crafting
Elsweyr adds Necromancer class
Greymoor adds Antiquities

Beyond that are a bunch of zones of varying size and quality. All are in the subscription but can be bought individually (for crowns only):
Orsinium: The biggest of the DLC zones
Thieves Guild: Self contained adds a thieving skill line
Dark Brotherhood: Self Contained, adds a Dark Brotherhood skill line
Clockwork City: Part of the Morrowind/Summerset storyline, probably the most visually unique zone
Murkmire: Self contained, Argonian zone.
Southern Elsewyr: Conclusion of the Elsewyr chapter
Markarth: Conclusion of the Greymoor chapter

Then there's a bunch of Dungeon DLC also all in the subscription, also buyable individually for crowns.

Paid subscription also gets you a bottomless crafting bag for crafting materials which seems to be the biggest draw for most people, and the monetary equivalent in crowns that you can use to buy the above DLC or cosmetics, plus a few minor other things.

You can trade in game gold for crowns which may or may not be worthwhile depending on how you value each.

Sky Shadowing posted:

If you think this is a game you want to stick with, you might consider buying Blackwood Standard Edition (NOT upgrade), which will give you all Chapters now, I believe, and Blackwood when it comes out.
The price difference between Blackwood upgrade and Blackwood Standard edition is bigger than the current sale price of Greymoor. Better off buying Greymoor and buying Blackwood upgrade separately, whether now, before June for the pre-order bonus, or later in the year with a discount.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Howard Beale posted:

Any NA Goon guilds currently around? I've got a free guild slot and might as well get some use out of it.
There's one, not very active in terms of actually doing stuff together, but there are a few of us there. Post a username and someone will invite you.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Are guilds per character or per account?
Per account, limit of 5.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The guilds and glory DLC pack is 50% off at 2000 crowns. It contains Orisinium, Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild and while it may be debatable whether those are the 3 best non-chapter DLCs, as a combo pack and 50% off it's the closest to a must have DLC in the game.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Saul Kain posted:

Was thinking about casually playing this game. Is a magicka sorc useful for anything. I think the one character I have is a 20 something high elf sorc.
Yes, they're good for spellcasting DPS. I find their power curve while leveling a bit weird where they're strong early, then dip for a bit as you become squishier but don't quite have the skills to make up for it, then they get strong again. There's a good variety of ways you can build them, too.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Today was going to be the start of an ESO+ free trial but it was pulled back for some technical reason. So that should be coming soon.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

a pale ghost posted:

I just bought a second outfit slot and learned it's just for that character. Feel kind of ripped off
Yeah, pretty ridiculous. You can ask for your crowns back and explain that it wasn't clear in the store description.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

The other PVP are not 3v3v3. Cyrodiil is a big open world fort assault. I haven't played it much so I don't know much about what the actual PVP is like (other than reading people complain about lag and ball groups) but what little I've seen feels very different from battlegrounds. The other is Imperial city which is street or dungeon fights against whoever shows up, with AI enemies and bosses interspersed all over. Sometimes you're 1V1 against someone you find, sometimes you join a group and roll over those you find, sometimes a group rolls over you, sometimes there are bigger group battles. As a primarily PvE player I've only experienced it during events and find it kinda frustrating, but I can see how it could be fun.

You can spec for both though unless you're trying to be the very best at one or the other, and while the skill reset cost can be kinda steep, the morph reset cost isn't, so as long as you have enough skill points to get the base skills for everything and only switch morphs on a respec then you'll be fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Cretin90 posted:

I’m thinking about playing a tank (argonian dk) to keep the group safe and reading a few horror stories about how high community expectations are from tanks, let alone from a new player tank.
"Community expectations" in this game seems very dependent on the subcommunity. Assuming the Xbox community is similar to PC, PUG expectations are pretty forgiving and there are a wide variety of guilds who I assume all have different expectations. As long as you're making an effort and willing to listen you'll be fine. Tanks have the quickest dungeon finder queues so I don't think people can be too picky for PUGs.