Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Man I love watching J'onn wreck people. Nice and solid episode before we enter the long wasteland of April. With all of that said I really hope we get some actual drama and challenge in the Alex and Maggie relationship. Now obviously given the profile of the show and the message it sends that could be a challenge, I don't want them doing a Willow/Tara style poo poo show but an actual argument between the two that isn't immediately resolved with them calling each other great and supportive would be welcome at this point.

It's been a weirdly uneven season so far, they've not had too many out and out awful episodes but it feels like they've been bouncing from storyline to storyline every 3-4 episodes and it's never quite felt like it's all connected together properly. But hey there's a Supergirl show on TV and it's pretty drat good so take what you can get I suppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'm a little behind the live broadcast but Maggie laying down some truth was exactly what her and Alex needed in terms of watchability. It's not some pointless argument for the sake of drama but a natural point that feels like it'd come up in their relationship.

Edit: I guess extra-judicial mind wipes are cool now, we'll be sending aliens to the Pipeline any day now.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 2, 2017

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Just caught up with this weeks episode, it was a fun ride and the show certainly knows the tone it wants to take. That said all I could think about with regards to Cat's speech was that she's just encouraged a city full of people to get straight up loving butchered. I mean you can invade earth, one-shot Air Force One, teleport across the galaxy but ooooooh poo poo they pushed over a chain link fence!

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I was going to write up some big effort post here but I feel like this inevitably happens with a show that has a message like Supergirl does. That's not saying that they shouldn't go forward and do what they want because it's ultimately the story they're telling, but you're going to run into people who conflate "has a message I appreciate" with "this show supports me and as such should reflect what I think".

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'd really love if we could do a CW season opener without the hero wondering if they should be pure hero or pure civilian. I mean I know it's the classic conflict at the heart of all of these stories but man I think they've done every twist on it possible. Hopefully this is them getting it over and done with early.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Wow I had like zero expectations for this episode after seeing the preview but this was actually really good. You folks are right, they loving nailed the casting for the young Danvers.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I know it's super cheap to complain about but how exactly were those IV's running into Supergirl working at the end there? They just packing kryptonite needles now as part of DEO gear?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

Man, I've really been enjoying this Reign storyline.

Odette Annable is killing it but I feel they've gotten really really lucky with the actress they've cast for Ruby. The interplay between the two of them is awesome and sells a lot of the tragedy we're supposed to be feeling as a single mother turns into a complete monster.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So why did that camera at CatCo have a loving readout for SpO2? Good to know that Reign isn't getting hypoxic though.

Edit: Holy poo poo Streaky!

Edit 2: Nice licensed music usage. Also nice to see Kara moving on from the whole hardcore "Supergirl is all there is" crap.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 16, 2018

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

I have many issues with the astrophysics, physics and math in this episode.

I'm building a working theory that writers don't do any research...

Yeah I mean forget the throwing the Fort into FTL thing (see there just so happened to be a boom tube and then...) the whole communications aspect didn't make much sense either. I can buy that they've got some sort of FTL comms mojo between the Legion ship and all the crap they've surely recovered over the years, but the bouncing off Voyager 2 stuff just doesn't really jive. Plus the orbital mechanics involved with the plunge into the sun were just straight hosed. At the same time, hey it's got radiation that targets dudes exclusively so it's a pretty loving weird part of space, or this is some sort of comic-book TV show where you make poo poo up I guess?

As to the apparent nerfing of Saturn girl? I'm pretty sure they can't have her being too overpowered for plot purposes as well as thematic ones; she's already replaced Kara in Mon-El's life and she's 100% chill with the whole situation and isn't being lovely about it. Having her use her actual range of abilities is probably going to push her into Mary Sue territory and alienate that portion of the audience that are way too deep into their shipping.

Regardless of all that crap, I loved this episode. The Alex and Ruby side plot should have been just the worst but the talent of the performers involved saved the whole thing, which is a minor miracle when you've got a character that age.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Anyone else getting the feeling that towards the end of the season Lena is going to advocate using Ruby against Reign in some capacity? Ruby is obviously going to get involved with the climax of this season and having Lena flirt more with her Luthor side seems like it has to go somewhere.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Dementia storylines always hit me hard. :smith:
I can very much see why they opened with wacky fun karaoke to balance that out. David Harewood and Carl Lumbly are so drat good that it makes it hit that much harder as well.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
That Jor-El quote was pretty good.

Edit: Really really strong episode but that song at the end just didn’t work

J33uk fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 24, 2018

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
They always seem to overstuff the end of the season with this show. Argo City is a cool idea but it feels utterly underdeveloped, much like the Daxamite invasion at the end of last season. Kara's been reunited with her mother and just found out that hundreds (thousands?) of her people have survived and they've just done nothing that compelling with it. It's not like we're at Arrow or Flash levels of not being able to wrap things up properly but it's a little disheartening to see it happen again. Despite all of that we did get three evil witches effectively cackling around a cauldron and doing magic spells in this episode so it's not all bad.

Edit: It's cheap to bring it up but hey they've gone all non-lethal now, did you see Alex shooting that cool energy net? Wait it didn't work? gently caress it, grab the kryptonite .45 ammo, we ain't loving around.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jun 12, 2018

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Chokes McGee posted:

Wynn is going to get so pissed at himself for that dude dying he’s gonna invent something he regrets. Computo, Braniac, OMAC, something.

Man with the whole surveillance/digital privacy times we live in you could do a real loving good Brother Eye story. We know they like mining current events for parallels

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Klungar posted:

Arrow already did a OMAC/Brother Eye story. Felicity helped create it with a group of hacktivists while in college. Her ex-boyfriend has used it for nefarious purposes to torment the team on more than one occasion.

Oh I’ve seen all of Arrow. They should go further, full on evil AI

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I was thinking the same thing about the witches stepping through and suddenly being powered up. In the same episode where they explicitly point out it’s the sunlight that juices them up for the whole sun lamp plot. Reign at this point I’m just writing off as being magic.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So what’s the money on them announcing episode 1 is titled “Red Daughter” at Comic-con?

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Mortanis posted:

No idea if Superman is supposed to be off planet still visiting Erica Durance or not, but I'm trying to imagine President Tron showing up to grill Superman the same way about who he "really" is.

Superman isn't even part of the DEO and he's doing his thing. Seems like Kara could keep doing hers as well.

Trying to understand the political structure of this universe is wild. A full on Daxamite alien invasion fleet happned; They got 99% of the way to killing the President by splashing Air Force One, blasted skyscrapers and created internment camps in the streets to the point where the Callista Flockhart has to go on TV to tell people resist and rise up... And the DEO is still this relatively tiny operation.

There was a literal attempt at the end of humanity and the response was "eh maybe a little more oversight?" I think that's why I find the thrust of the story they're trying to tell is good but the execution is really lacking. I'm concerned about how they might deal with a Russian Supergirl for the same reasons. That said I'm glad they fixed gun violence by making sure that a Government agency has sole access to magic alien guns that don't kill quite as hard.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

nooneofconsequence posted:

How is ersatz Superman better than the real deal?

Because he's minimizing the collateral damage. It feels like a kinda pointed shot at Man Of Steell

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

A Fancy Hat posted:

Slowed down Deegan's reality rewriting to the point that Superman could catch up to him before presumably being erased or rewritten himself.

Also a very good Superman: The Movie reference.

Sure there's the part of my head going "Mach 7 isn't even that fast and I'm fairly sure Barry runs faster than that weekly..." but there's also the part where yo they did the Superman Movie thing and it was cooooool.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I admire what they're trying to do with the show this season but the show just can't carry it. That Mad World sequence was embarrassing.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Holy wow, that was some terrible CG

I giggle every time they say Miss Tessmacher

Yeah they've had some questionable CG before but that was outright baaaaaad. That said this felt like a breath of fresh air, I was always a little worried about them trying to take on contemporary politics in such a "timely" fashion because that last time they tried that was the end of Season 2 with the Daxamite Invasion. They were so desperate to do a "Resistance" story line (people taking to the streets etc.) to tap into how angry they were and it fell so horribly flat. It's always well intentioned with show but the execution is always half baked when they try that stuff.

But hey we've got two months left in the season and things look promising. Which based on the last two years means this thing is about to sail off a loving cliff.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
It's frustrating that the show can nail something as well as the scenes with J'onn with his Dad, but then produce the Jimmy and his sister PTSD discussion which just thuds so loving hard. It's the same issue I've raised before, it's well intentioned pointing out that even Jimmy is going to deal with consequences from the levels of crazy poo poo happening, but the execution is just so straight on and lacking in any subtlety or nuance.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Interesting article about David Harewood and mental health here.
https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2019-05-07/david-harewood-psychotic-breakdown-bbc2-documentary/amp/

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Oh cool now Kara sounds like a 60 year old lamenting how kids are looking at their drat phones all the time. I mean I get it but it's another one of those issues that I don't trust the show to handle. Especially with one of the key scenes in the last finale being everyone looking at their phones to see her very important news story. Perhaps it's only good when people stare at their phones when they're staring at her content.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I know I'm echoing what's already been said but my god Cryer elevates this stuff amazingly. Dude just gets what Lex should be.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
The politics of this show are always very well intentioned but yeah the execution has been all over the place. The season 2 final arc with the whole "resist" theme with people taking to the streets to fight was probably the first sign that they don't exactly handle it very well.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

The Lord Bude posted:

I still want Kara to show up every once in a while on S&L. But I agree that’s about it. This show looks like an amateur production next to S&L.

I love the optimism of the show, their willingness to engage on social issues (even if they pretty often fall into the Arrow style easy solution trap and holy poo poo everything about the end of Season 2 has aged brutally) but yeah the last two seasons have just been so rough to watch. I understand all the factors involved, the budget situation clearly isn't great, you've had cast availability issues and obviously COVID is loving everything up, but the end product just leaves me feeling kinda sad at this point. I hope they can finish strong but my expectations are pretty heavily tempered.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I mean I know it seems a little on the nose with the totem stuff but this season feels full on magical realism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Good Luck Everyone. Let's hope they at least stick the landing.