Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Sounds like Negan's gonna feel pretty stupid when he finds out... :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tenzarin posted:

Gasoline apparently goes stale or something. Never mind how they still have gas and clean cars showing the logos.

I wonder how much hay you could make now that FTWD has confirmed that the World Ended in 2010, finding 2011-2017 model cars put there for product placement. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

UmOk posted:

I think this is why the show has lost me. First couple seasons had all these cool characters that were all different and interesting. Now everyone is a super bad rear end that slaughters zombies by the hundreds with pocket knives. Everyone is Rick, and Rick is psychotic.

Well you'd hope that they'd have gotten some skills over the past few years of living in the zombie apocalypse...

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

happyhippy posted:

What I miss from the recent TWD is coming across places that were once hold out places for others that failed.
Like the golf club, or the houses where the zombies scratched their way through the garage walls to get in.
Or the sleeping bag zombies in the office Daryl/Carol finds.

Needs more of those imo.

Well now that they have a home base in Alexandria, they aren't exploring as much. There are of course explorer teams sent out from Alexandria, but they aren't followed because we're focused more on domestic drama. Of course that could all change this season, who knows?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Rick watches Negan bash Glenn's head in, and then realizes he was just imagining it. Negan then is about to really swing, and Strand walks up and shoots Negan in the face.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I was wondering why they wouldn't just up and leave after Negan lets them go back to Alexandria, just pack up and go back to GA or Utah or something, especially since that was the Plan B that Rick had left Gabriel with.

Then Negan took Daryl hostage and whelp.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Annointed posted:

Wow good job following the comic and killing off a character on borrowed time and the one who died in this episode. I am certainly impressed at how you killed the only asian character of the main cast.

I know, he should totally have had character armor to keep up proper representation of minorities. Pretty shitlordy of those white guys in charge. Probably Kirkman is a Trump supporter.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think the real hook this season is when we find out Negan's backstory. If they can humanize him like they did The Governor, it'll make what Kirkman says about " you'd have been rooting for him" become true.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Serf posted:

I stopped watching the show after season 5, but since it is literally all anyone wants to talk about at work I binged through season 6 and caught up.

Pretty good, I'd say. Although they're lucky they got JDM to play Negan because without his charisma and charm, the character would be utterly laughable. I almost lost it when he brought Rick back and did the whole "anybody got a pen?" thing where Trevor from GTA answers like an enthusiastic dog. It all came off as (in-universe) one big thing they'd rehearsed and practiced. Dollars to donuts this Negan guy has a notebook where he scribbles all this poo poo down in at night.

I would pay money to see a flashback to the in universe rehearsals for the whistling. :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Stickarts posted:

Do zombies lactate? Also asking for a friend.

I see you're not caught up on Z Nation... :allears:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The TV IV › The Walking Dead Season Seven - This is Ezekiel. He...does his own thing

:haw:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Feeding walkers to the pigs before Negan's guys eat the pigs is about on the same level as a fry cook getting his revenge by rubbing his dick on an rear end in a top hat customer's burger.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yeah I couldn't tell what that photo was.

It doesn't look like anything to me.

Oh wait wrong thread

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Vanderdeath posted:

The one reason I remembered the diabetic sister was because Negan was right; Sherry's sister was really, really attractive.

:eng101: "Super-hot."

screamin and creamin posted:

So this Negan guy surrounds himself by desperate armed guys that he did terrible things to and who have nothing whatsoever to lose by shooting him while he's essentially defenseless against them, got it.

My impression was that working dictatorships have clearly defined in- and out groups, and that the main guy is surrounded by fiercely loyal armed bodyguards at all times or similar.

Yeah I don't understand that part either. He has a bat. And everyone around him, even his most closest, personal lieutenants, are still guys he treats like poo poo, constantly tests, and plays mind games with. I could understand if he had some sort of inner circle of best bros who prop him up, but literally everyone would be better off personally if he was gone. :shrug:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Blow posted:

I have EASY STREET stuck in my head.

I watched the last episode somewhat drugfucked last night. It took about 3 hours 'cos I had to keep rewinding it. So I kept replaying Daryl's misery. And re-watched it again this morning.

I went to sleep with Easy Street in my head, and woke up with it. I've been trying to flush it out with other tunes, but it's loving locked in.

What's your name?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

My only big question is how did Negan even get the first guy to join him? You'd think he'd start with someone tough and intimidating, like himself, but someone like that would probably straight-up kill him and take his poo poo if Negan didn't do it first. If it was a former Rick, then they probably would never be 100% loyal to him and would either run away or stab him in the back.

I just don't get how he even got any kind of "inner circle" to begin with, especially since the show's only taken place over the course of a few years since the start of the outbreak.

I don't know if they ever get into it in the comic. I'm on the fence if I want them to show the "Secret Origins of Negan--REVEALED!!" because if they humanize him like The Governor it'll take away from the existence of Negan as a Force of Nature.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

Clearly everybody fell in line when he drove by their camps in an ice cream van blasting Easy Street.

I don't even think he's punishing Daryl, he just really loves that song and thinks Daryl would like it.

That would be the best move. Like Negan's blasting 80s new wave at Darryl thinking he's a redneck who would hate it and he's all "noooo, not more Soft Cell!!!" while secretly grooving.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I know it's a cool idea on the one hand to have a season long antagonist for the first time in awhile, and it's cool for that guy to be Negan, but it's gonna be a real drag slogging through 12 or so more episodes (including a mid season break) of watching Our Heroes be mopey, beaten down betas.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Again, the big question is why not just run or fight? I mean Alexandria still has it's big steel walls and they had there huge arsenal. I know they are outnumbered but they could have blown away negan and a bunch of his dudes.... I just think the way they have done this slave to Negan plot is not that believable.

That I don't get at all, because before Rick left he told Gabriel the plan to evacuate everyone and meet somewhere. So that was on the table. They could just pile into a bunch of cars and get the gently caress out and go to back to Georgia or Nebraska or something. No way in hell Negan's guys will follow them across the country.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

They're also splitting every episode into 1 per crew. So we have a Maggie ep next week. Then we'll probably check back in with Darryl for an episode. Then we'll jump back to the Kingdom to see how Carol and Morgan are doing. Then A plot with the main group in Alexandria--probably Rosita gets some bullets and takes a shot at Negan--CRISIS MIDSEASON FINALE SOMEONE WILL DIE! Then back for another 8 episodes split between each group where little happens until finally after things are at their lowest everyone bands together to fight Negan. End of season.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I gotta wonder about The Kingdom--how did they get the deal where Negan didn't walk in swinging his dick and cowing the populace? Nobody there even knows about the deal. Does Ezekiel really have that much juice?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

The real reason he got the deal is Negan probably said I will kill all of you if you don't pay half and Ezekiel immediately said ok. You guys forget that the reason Rick got the raw end of the deal is because they took out an entire base of their guys. I get the feeling that no other community has done that or even close to that.

Yeah, deep down Negan is probably making GBS threads his pants about Rick and realizes he has somewhat of a tiger by the tail here. As badass as Negan is, he has to have some inkling Rick and his group are serious post apoc operators who are on a different level from any of the local yokels. If he doesn't realize it now, he might really get it when he watches the tape of Crazy Murder Beard Rick and the others confessing how they crossed state lines on a murder spree that took out multiple well organized, well armed communities of psychopaths and cannibals.

He's really trying hard to break Rick and keep him down, but he's gotta worry about if he truly has, and if Rick can just overwhelm him. I do think that's why he took the guns, and I think Coral was just the excuse he used for a plan he already had.

magpie posted:

I made the point in the last thread that people are comparing this to Mad Men when the should just switch off their brain and compare it to 24 but what's more fun than endlessly debating if Glen can assume the size of a Tim Hortorns Coffee cup under a dumpster or who set the quarry on fire?

One way I'd compare this to Mad Men is I think Rick is a lot like Don Draper. He's on some sort of Life Journey where he's trying to learn stuff about who he is and what he should do in the world, but he keeps backsliding into bad habits and we have no idea where he'll end up. Rick can't decide if he wants to be a crazy hardass badass leader or a farmer who knuckles under and so he flip flops back and forth. Maybe in the end Rick will create greatest Coke commercial of all time.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

britishbornandbread posted:

I loved the slow burn of Shane turning into a madman. Rick's ongoing helplessness was good, too.

The final fight at the end of S2 was intense.

Yeah again sorry for enjoying it. If it's any consolation the resolution of Terminus in ONE loving EPISODE was offensively terrible.

I think my personal perception of Shane was colored by the circumstances of the time, ie he was operating an a more advanced apocalypse level but came off like an rear end in a top hat in the Pollyanna days of S1 and 2.. I think I'd like to do a rewatch of the early series to see how Shane looks now, knowing what we know about how far the world goes with poo poo like Terminus, The Governor, Negan, etc.

I'd be willing to bet Shane looks a lot better in hindsight.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

King Vidiot posted:

You guys are making a lot of assumptions here, like that they'd have to "make" Darryl eat dog food. :v:

"This is bullshit man, Merle always used to make us Purina. I know this poo poo is Alpo."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > The Walking Dead S7 - Be quiet, I'm talking to Jesus!

54 40 or gently caress posted:

everyone that's owned this watch has died, here you go Enid

"I could give this to my unborn child, but hey why don't you take it random girl I barely know!" :haw:

Orange Red Bull posted:

I am awfully curious to see exactly where Negan does live and what his setup is like

From what I hear it's Easy Street.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Super Aggro Crag posted:

I assume it would matter even less on old carb'd cars. My car only takes 91 or 93 so that might be an issue.

And they do seem to gravitate towards older cars in this show. Not always, but they are starting to make a point of running older cars. They're easier to maintain without computers as well. Falling Skies did this a lot, and you see it in Z Nation as well.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

JossiRossi posted:

Also, oh poo poo a society of women who don't need no man!

Beaten by Z Nation AGAIN!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

No the point is to split up the main cast and have as few expensive actors as possible per episode. They have so many small groups of people to cover its ridiculous now. We'll be seeing Rick like once every 5 episodes now.

This seems to be the case. I mean poo poo, I pointed out weeks ago that they were gonna cycle through individual stories--but even I'd forgotten about Tara and Heath going away and thought they'd be back to Daryl or Carol/Morgan by now. And now of course since Coral and Jesus have left the group, they get their own episode next week. :downs: Hooray for not advancing the plot!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

galenanorth posted:

They could have skipped all the Mexican-standoff-without-a-gun scenes and just fully explained the backstory of the village at the dinner table, if they needed exposition. Also, all the long scenes like the opening where they called a walker a "bobber" were twice as long as they needed to be. All the dialog concerning the woman that "betrayed" the community to help Tara was really repetitive. It's not that there's "too much character development"; it's that it's redundant character development. 80% of "you'd better not tell the community" could have been canned and we'd have gotten the point. This episode could have been half of its length. The only the scenes that didn't need editing for time were the ones with Heath and Tara or at the bridge.

I didn't mind the episode per se. I thought the opening was intriguing, with new characters we'd never met. Meeting a new community was interesting too. What's a drag is it didn't advance the overall arc of Rick and Co get their mojo back and defeat Negan. It was particularly a slap in the face seeing Previouslys with them being badass and speedrunning through the Savior satellite station.

I think part of the problem is that the producers get these high concept ideas of "OK, let's set something up and we'll build it up over a long time and it will be totally cool!" but it drags out and falls flat. Glenn not dying at the dumpster was another example. Maybe it's because half of the producers are comic book guys (Kirkman, Gimple, Alpert) and one is a makeup artist (Nicotero) and they don't get pacing as much as an experienced tv showrunner would. They have Gale Ann Hurd who's produced a shitload of iconic stuff, but it's all films so she probably doesn't get episodic tv either.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Senor Tron posted:

That's one of the worst things about the fact they keep using the backwoods of Georgia for every single filming location, it's really easy to forget that they are meant to be right next door to Washington DC.

If they are intentionally avoiding the city and built up areas then at least mention that. Make it a plot point that they are getting increasingly desperate for supplies but also think it's too risky to head into the more built up areas due to herds or some other such reason.

The amount of travelling through woods and country roads is really starting to take the piss though. I mean look at the area this is all roughly taking place in:

It stands out heaps considering the amount of time they spent in urban Atlanta.

To be fair "Alexandria" isn't the actual city/town of Alexandria, it's a planned community near to Washington, but they don't say how near.

But yeah, I felt like the whole "girl looking at a map with a line drawn to Washington" was kinda a big tease. Ultimately this show doesn't have the budget to effectively pull off a romp through Z-torn Washington DC, which is the real reason they'll never go there. Which is too bad, because it would be rad as hell to go into the White House and the Pentagon and poo poo. Of course they'd be teeming with zombies so that might make reconning the Oval Office or raiding the Smithsonian a bit hard.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

vyst posted:

I want Negan to be a kindergarten teacher

High school drama teacher.

It would explain all his amateur theatrics, coordinated whistling which was clearly rehearsed, etc. :v:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

When Negan was talking to Coral I almost felt, for a brief moment, he was letting his guard down to show his true self. I wonder if he'll keep Coral around as someone he can be sincere with in private and take the mask off.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL

"Everyone has somebody, Carl and Michonne have Rick, Aaron has Eric, Eugene...knows things..."

:laugh:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

DarklyDreaming posted:

Tara's about to do something more reckless than Rosita's one bullet assassination attempt :ohdear:

The best thing about these last few episodes it's it's a race as to see which stupid plan is the stupidest. You have:

--Rosita's One Bullet

--Commando Carl

--Michonne's Car Jacking

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bored posted:

Damnit. Someone gave m. Night some more money.

The twist is that it really is 23 different clone guys.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The sad thing is that Spencer may have been on to something. Nobody has just tried to be cool with Negan and say "Look, you know what, I'm cool with you" and go with his craziness and not be intimidated. If he hadn't shot his wad with the Rick stuff, he might have actually had a very different relationship with Negan than anyone else, and perhaps capitalized on that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Orange Red Bull posted:

whatcha gonna do rick

Grimace a lot and seethe.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Caper posted:

It truly is...A Planet of the Apes

You'll never make a monkey out of meeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001