Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Now you don't have to suck meat from an exoskeleton!

Dr Pepper posted:

This isn't actually true.

The first command does up to five hits depending on how high his defense is. And getting up to the 5 hit threshold is really easy, Wall, Protect, and one use of the second Command and you're there with a mere 275 base DEF. With a full five hits it's better then Saint's Cross.

Let's! Be! Pedantic!

"Better" is subjective, in this case specifically subjective on the basis of how much Defense the enemy has. Saint Cross is two 170 potency hits for a total of 340 potency and WoL's attack command is up to five 54 potency hits for a total of 240 total potency. You can break 20K damage, which Saint Cross cannot, with the ATK command provided the enemy's DEF allows for it, otherwise Saint Cross would do more damage. That said, I've gotten competitive, useable damage from Cecil's lovely 2x79 DEF command on Paladin Force enough times that I reckon using WoL's attack command is good enough that you can let someone else bring the Saint Cross if someone else could.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I kinda want to pull on this last OS banner for another shot at the Onion Gauntlets, but is there enough other good stuff to get excited about or would that just be a chase pull?

"Excited"? No, not by a long shot. Other than the Gauntlets, which truly are a game-changer, you mainly pull on this if whiffing on the Gauntlets would still serve some purpose such as shoring up your I, II or XIII synergy for CMs or if you're desperate for an ATK/MAG buff, went deep on the XIV banner and came up short on Deployment Tactics but got enough out of it that more pulls would be too risky. On the bright side, Lustrous Shield isn't terrible and I synergy is rare as balls, Flame Fossil and Physician's Staff give you a pair of XIII CM workhorse SBs and Gungnir gives you a solid buff on a character that's glued to your II CM teams by virtue of having Support 5 anyway. Even Bomb Core is useful in its native realm, though on a considerably less pivotal character in a realm chock full of 'em. On the downside, Soulrender is strictly for I CMs and those come around about once a year, Gabranth's Hauberk is for those with dire XII synergy only and Eagletalon shows up on an overall more focused banner in just a few days. I would only pull on this if nothing was a dupe and my synergy for the represented realms was abysmal.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

I caught a glimpse of the Ninja future on the U+, and it seems pretty good. Thancred, who is a pretty bad magical ninja, took a no-synergy getup of Desch's Sword, Shura Gloves and Gigas Armlet to the Isgebind fight and managed to get quad-nines on both Smoldering Fire hits with just Ley Lines. I did have Hardened Assassin on but I mean, when wouldn't I have that on? Seems that when in doubt, ignoring defensive stats is the way to go.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

But Sabin's OSB. Does it drop The Train. IS THE TRAIN FINALLY ABOUT TO LEAVE THE STATION.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

ohmygosh it says Suplex :flashfap:

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

How?

Why?

Why me!?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

W.T. Fits posted:

2/11. Defender (FFT) (Dupe) and Zidane's Vest.

So if I have a character that has both an Enwind SB and an Imperil Wind SB, what's the optimal order to fire those off in, or does it matter?

Off the top of my head math, if you're building up two bars before using them then I would fire off the Enwind first so your Imperil Wind (which I assume is Stellar Circle 5) has the +80% bonus Enwind grants SBs, you'd get more damage from that than you would the +20% Imperil's weakness gives you... but the problem I'm seeing here is, if that's your game plan, how are you taking advantage of your Imperil and BSB at all? How do you build up to two bars fast enough for that combo and then abuse having Enwind on an Imperiled enemy? Please report with findings because my sense of it is that being your own Imperiler is not feasible.

Anyway, since everyone who was excited about their Lucky Draw pull already posted, I might as well get mine out of my system: 1/11 Ehrgeiz. That thing looks like his BSB fist. That's hosed up! It should not be a red glove anymore, I thought I hit paydirt for a second there but alas, it was not so. Silver lining: it's my fourth SB for VIII and I was planning on grabbing either Zell's or Sabin's level 99 RM for Refia anyway so now I have a good excuse to do it. Also realm synergy and all that blah blah blah. Still, though, that's a pretty big crap out and my worst yield on a Lucky Draw banner in quite some time.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

victrix posted:

Small optimization query, is Lifesiphon or Enelement boosted <attack> better for break gauge? Wondering if I should use LS or Banishing Strike for Minfilia once she has enholy active.

I'm assuming Saint Cross/most two hit abilities are better than LS by default?

Good thing you checked with us because that's incorrect! Actions generate a fixed amount of gauge that is not modified by amount of hits. A regular ability generates 50 gauge, an ability hitting an elemental weakness generates 90, Lifesiphon generates 150 and Wrath generates 180. There are some edge case exceptions, like Faris' BSB commands generating 60, but very few others I can recall off the top of my head, if there even are any. I reckon your problem right now is that the hitters you're bringing right now are just not heavy enough. Cecil and Minfilia are tough, solid hitters, but I don't think this is the fight for them.

Cape Cod Crab Chip fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 19, 2017

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Luck is back to normal for me: after three quality Bursts out of five pulls during the winter Fest, a hard crash and bomb on the Dungeon Lucky banner and my first ever Burst off a dollar pull on the Summoner banner (Keeper's Tome, my first Tyro relic to boot!) I got my patented "good, solid CM shoring up but not the item/s that would hit the spot, vague feeling of disappointment" draw. First pull was Kaiser and Venetian Shields, a decent pull by any standard, Kaiser Shield was a dupe but that was a risk I was willing to take and Venetian Shield is for Agrias and my feelings on Agrias are a matter of record. Second pull was two Mythril Guns and Healing Staff, another decent pull that pretty much puts my CM needs on lock for a long time but also drains much of the value from the rest of the banner since Ovelia is now "complete", Lambent Hat and Luminous Robe essentially being trash to me. On the one hand, better that I walk away with something tangible after 100 Mythril rather than the 150 to 200 I was originally willing to blow on this and give chase to Saintly Excalibur or Agriascalibur somewhere else where whiffing isn't practically guaranteed to be pointless. On the other hand, one relic away from Complete Agrias and no Orlando BSB :qq:

On the topic of Mustadio, I guess my beef with him is that outside of CMs (where he will do much work, no bout adoubt it) I don't know how to kit him so that he's a contender for A-team slots. Investing in Machinist hones is unlikely given my broken hoarder brain so I have to somehow ramp up to Heart Shot using Support or Celerity abilities since it's unlikely that he rates one of the two starter gauge RMs. If he had Support 5 he could be the team breaker and I could live with the Penta Break being a Weak phase special but as it is, he'd be grabbing the off-Breaker role of sorts and I'm just not sure that rates a party slot. I guess we'll see.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Global has had a few cases where it's thrown together unique or exclusive special banners. The Golden Coliseum event-themed banners were unique to Global, for example, whether they were bad or not, and I believe we started getting realm lucky draws before JP did. While I don't think we ought to assume anything about the Anniversary, it could be absolutely identical (minus the obligatory festival banner reshuffling of course) or it could be completely different, with the only shared commonality being that there are five fest banners, there's definitely no reason to assume the BSB lucky draw got moved ahead of schedule. It was almost definitely a Black Friday-exclusive event.

In other news, I ran the event MP fights with someone packing Orlandeau's OSB and BSB both and it was nice being gobsmacked by BSB entry numbers and effects rather than burst commands for the first time in a while.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

The game was released on March 26th which pretty much puts it an even three months after the winter spectacular. How the festivities will overlap with that date is up in the air but I would assume anywhere from March 16th to April 6th or so to be possible dates when the Anniversary is happening.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Cosmic Afro posted:

I got a Bismark dupe and Zell's BSB.

EHhhhhhhhhhhhn? How's Zell's BSB?

Zell's BSB is insane, congrats on what is probably the second best draw on the banner.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Oh HORSEshit Paladin Cecil came in third. No loving way.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Combo posted:

OR, if he just started, like really just started, it might make more sense to reroll and pull again until he gets a healer bsb.

I think I agree with that. If your account is brand new and you haven't pulled on the III/IX/T Lucky Draw banner, and you don't mind stomaching a reroll, it's about the best time to bite that bullet. Past midnight PST tonight will be too late.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Here are the numbers at level 99 for what are probably the top three healers in Global right now, per Enlir:

Vanille:

5525 HP, 105 DEF, 167 RES

Eiko:

5135 HP, 97 DEF, 194 RES

Y'shtola:

5525 HP, 108 DEF, 176 RES

There's certainly a difference but I don't know that "made of glass" is fair for a difference of ten DEF and 400 HP when compared to Vanille, not even touching her surprisingly sturdy RES stat. I mean, no offense to your friend but my non-99, non-dived Eiko has survived every Apoc I've taken her to that wasn't a failure.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

oy gevalt

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Pretty good! The part I'm happiest about is that none of these are dupes. Hope's BSB is somewhat from a bygone era by now, and not in an element I'm particularly lacking in options in, but Reno and Golbez are solid gimmicks. Except now I have two of the BSBs on Banner 3 :qq: I'm pretty sure I'm still going for it, I skipped both previous Raines banners and even with me having Zeromus Shard, Shura Gloves and Fire Lash this has the better side consolation prizes of all the banners it's shown up on thus far, but why's this gotta be so drat difficult!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

The good: Orlandeau's SSB. I may have his OSB already but this is AOE and this game utterly refuses to give me magic BSBs so I have to make do with what I get and Orlandeau is a good man. The bad: Greg's OSB. A dupe Greg OSB, even!

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Zonko_T.M. posted:

What's the deal with ultimate ++ goods mimic gimmick? Am I supposed to bring the spells he casts and cast them on him? Is there any way to mitigate the damage without pissing him off?

No, the spell mimic gimmick is just that, a gimmick. It's there to honor Gogo's mime origins and as a side challenge for those who might care to do it that way. The regular way to do the fight is to get an action in before he casts Flare, at which point he "enrages" and behaves like any other 180 difficulty boss.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Hogama posted:

Well, it'll make the Hastega last longer!
*slide whistle*

It won't even do that, that's the saddest part.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Hogama posted:

"zero throttle"

Motion for that concept to be named "Null Throttle'.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

While there's no reason to suspect the Lucky Draws will change, don't expect the 30-pull; we didn't get the guaranteed 5-myth OSB in last festival so I don't see why we'd get a free 30-draw in the next one.

If we do get it, let it be a pleasant surprise instead of something you're relying on.

I get that excessive pessimism is your default state/gimmick and it isn't necessarily wrong but that's pretty selective invocation of precedent, there. We didn't get the 5 Mythril OSB pull, true, but the last event we got was around New Year's in Japan and while I don't know if that had anything to do with the event necessarily, the last fest we had was a generic seasonal celebration. The 30 pull I think can be more likened to the free anniversary pull which we did in fact get. It's just semantics and everything is subject to change so yes, don't count on the 30-pull, but I also kinda feel saying we probably won't get it by likening it to the OSB pull is kind of flimsy.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

No.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got his ssb, how should I be using it?

I don't have it so this is just derived from general game knowledge but the instruction manual is pretty straightforward: slap Ace Striker on him, get him a full Legend Dive if possible, instant Lifesiphon three times, Gladiolus Link, Lifesiphon with your instant turn, keep the instant party noncharges coming. Shortening or skipping the ATB charge altogether is basically stacking another layer of Haste on your team, it's really strong.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Mirror image is PBlink.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I keep trying to talk myself out of a banner 1 pull because I already have the onion stuff but I also want the earth damage and II synergy... Ahhh... Someone tell me what to do so I am less responsible for the outcome

A smarter person and better player than me once said not to fret pulls, they'll be terrible and never give you what you want so why not just spend? Same difference in the end.

Please note I have over 400 Mythril so I'm kind of a big ol' hypocrite there.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

So I don't think this game wants me to have OK BSB ever. I broke down and threw down 3000 gems on the selection banner... and it coughed up Rapha USB. Also Echo SSB and Cyan SSB but I don't think I care about those anywhere near as much, for obvious reasons. Given that my Earth damage is Rydia BSB and Celes with BSB2 toting Gaia's Cross, I'd be crazy not to go for Maria BSB even if I don't get OK BSB next lucky, which I won't, right? There's not enough edge cases where OK BSB is the better choice that I'd pass up on Maria here?

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

There are the dreams you let yourself have when you see three discos on the pull, then there's the brutal reality when they flip over.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Lion does lean pretty heavily into the damage half of the Vaan-style Damage/Breaker mold. While I certainly wouldn't recommend actually bringing Vaan to Magicites if you have actual options, he was able to contribute for me just by virtue of still being decent NE damage after all this time. I don't know what kind of damage USB Setzer can expect to push out but I would be surprised if it was higher than, say, 75% of Vaan's expected output? With that said, he's going to be an all-star on any content they let breaks work on so it's your call whether you want someone who will shine in MP and the occasional superboss.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

rabidsquid posted:

so how much mithril is good to save for ffta and ff9, like 300?

Alright, so, here's the big secret about the FFTA-1 banner: there are, in my opinion, five items on it that are "big" for the current and upcoming meta, namely Ramza USB, BSB2 and LMR and Marche USB and LMR. And of these five, four (Ramza BSB2, Ramza LMR, Marche USB and Marche LMR) all showed up together, all four of them, twice more, once on the Alma-1 banner, better known as the home of Orlandeau's USB and LMR, and once on the first banner for the 3rd Anniversary celebrations in JP. At the very least, we'll get all four of these items showing up together on the Alma banner for sure. The anniversary banner is a less safe bet but evidently, where Ramza BSB2 and Marche USB go, their LMRs follow. Unless you're specifically shooting for Agrias or Meliadoul items because you like them and want stuff for them, anyone who's after a modern-compliant Ramza and wants Marche's stuff but is not too concerned with it happening right away could actually be advised to stop if they grab Ramza's USB.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Servaetes posted:

So if you have shout, chant, and history's truth you'd argue I should give the banner a pass?

I mean, you probably "want" Ramza BSB2 because it's a straight up better Shout and his LMR is a massive QOL thing that's not half bad for speed purposes either but unless you want Perfect Support Boy Ramza RIGHT NOW, if you have his USB, the six-pack of Orlandeau USB/LMR, Ramza BSB2/LMR and Marche USB/LMR is probably a better place to go after his newest things since Orlandeau USB is yet another real deal type of thing. Also, as much as it grieves me to even mention, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that Onion Knight's physical USB actually becomes the gold standard for Hastega physical team fixing just a short month and change later. For Ramza USB havers, the only thing FFTA-1 has that Alma-1 doesn't is Agrias and Meliadoul items. Ask yourself how much you want that first and foremost, because Ramza and Marche's stuff comes back not all that long later, maybe even twice, and there's some stormy weather ahead on the Shout-like front.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Edward is surprisingly great now. I use him as a secondary buffer/Entruster in Magicites and he's putting in work with just his SSB2. Stacking MAG/MND and Quickcast 3 on someone who can feed bits of his own gauge to other party members goes a long way. You even have the USB so you kind of have the ultimate MAG-buffing character. Once we get the stacking MAG songs next Bra*Bra event (not the one in thirty minutes, sadly) you will have your choice of opening with USB and then your pick of Wrath, Entrust, Allegro con Moto and stacking MAG song, depending. No one else can do this, hell, when it comes to buffing MAG for a party no one else even comes close.

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Wind and fire are 2 magic hits (and ninja magic has a crazy low softcap, you basically have to try *not* to hit it) that ignore resistance, the others are 2-4 physical attacks that don't ignore any defenses. They are much, much worse,

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cape Cod Crab Chip
Feb 20, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Scott, Steiner,

You know they say that all abilities are created equal, but you look at Flare Strike and you look at Omega Drive and you can see that statement is not true. See, normally if you go one on one in a DPS competition, you got a 50/50 chance of winning. But Omega Drive is a numbers freak and it's not normal. So it got a 25%, AT BEST, at out-DPS Omega Strike. Then you add Cloud USB to the mix, Flare Strike's chances of winning drastic go down. See the 3 way, at Magicite, Flare Strike got a 35% chance of doublecasting, but Omega Drive, Omega Drive got a 66 and 2/3 chance of breaking the damage cap, because Barrage KNOWS it can't beat Omega Drive and it's not even gonna try!

So Flare Strike, you take your 35% doublecast chance, minus Omega Strike's damage cap break chance and you got an 8 1/3 chance of winning at Magicite. But then you take Omega Drive's 75% chance of breaking the damage cap, if they was to go one on one, and then add 66 2/3 per cents, it's got 141 2/3 chance of winning at Magicite. See Delita, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Magicite.

• Locked thread