Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

PhysicsFrenzy posted:

Haste Mage + Y'shtola's Wall + Terror + Celes BSB + Raines' BSB + BSB RW to throw on the haste mage (and potentially Terra) to use when they're not buffing and you've got yourself a mage meta.

Thanks this makes sense. Looks like it's FFXIV then since Alph's is almost Cid Raines-tier plus Papalymo's super sheepsong will fill in the haste requirement. Plus all the other fantastic equipment on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Have those of you who completed the roulette prizes been refreshing stamina? I still need a bunch and have only spent 120 stamina elsewhere which seems pretty minimal.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
4x11:

(4th) Thyrus
2x Curtana
Alph coat
Omnirod

Fml

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Is Curtana still going to be an upgrade over level 99, partially sphered up Paladin Cecil - considering both are using +holy weapons and armour?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
All my trinity relics are spread over so many characters (Celes with 30/30, Ramza with haste/atk, Yshtola with wall / healer bsb elsewhere) it really limits my options for this torment dungeon.

Went with two healers and got down to the third pig before one respawned and I realized they all gotta die at the same time, gently caress

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Beat the first torment boss. Paladin Cecil again mvps with his great aoe damage. Two healers may have been overkill but I was nervous going into this without a healer BSB. My party for reference:

Celes - BSB, tornado strike, snowspell strike
Paladin Cecil - BSB, gaia cross, magic lure
Faris - BSB, -magic dance, full break dance
Vanille - BSB, curaga, shellga. Spent most of her time doing nothing with three full bars
Garnet - SSB, curaja, maduin
RW: wall

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
D250 down on my second try. Gotta say one of the most difficult fights so far and had to really play it slowly. Looking forward to a single target Torment fight now...

Party:

Celes BSB
Cecil BSB
Faris BSB
Eiko BSB
Y'shtola SS2 / Aetherial Pulse

Cecil just taunted and spammed Paladin Force, Celes was there to buff him and hit the medal requirements. Faris gets a notable mention for being both a great aoe debuffer and doing decent damage. Also did the hit and run thing for the first time and holy poo poo is that terrible.

acumen fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 3, 2017

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Just make it a 6* WHM or something already, it's the one dumb p2w rng feature in an otherwise half decent phone game.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

OSBs may not be as useful or as good as BSBs over time but holy poo poo does it feel good slamming a nuke down for 100k

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Just make a spreadsheet on google docs to keep track of your equipment (or spells, orbs, whatever).

I have a physical and magic team "favourite" that I update any time I get an upgrade. Haven't really felt the need for anything further.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
MC3s aren't an emergency consumable though, they're permanent increases in power. The only reason to not use them is if you have no good SB equipment which is highly unlikely at that point. Even then, pop em on you favourite characters - this is literally Final Fantasy Dream Team: The Game.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
This is why you just host the party, pubbies are so bad. Also why do they all have Cloud's OSB?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah I was thinking about making a similar list and this gave me the motivation. I don't give a poo poo about my vanilla 5* or shared SB equipment (or most things under SSB really). What I want to be keeping track of are my top BSB/OSB, hastegas, medicas, imperils/attaches, etc.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Benthalus posted:

Unless you're a bitter vet getting hosed by the recent banners who's been playing since week one, because otherwise the game would be trivial.

Seriously, a single BSB and no OSBs out of 8 pulls on OSB fest and FFXIV-1 is really poor luck.

I got one OSB (Terra) and one BSB (Minfilia) out of 11 10-pulls during OSBfest + FFXIV

Edit: wait that's wrong. 3 BSBs. Still.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
D200 Bart's pretty hard. Remember to save a wall cast for right after he dispells. Even so he dishes out a ton of damage unless your party is on the ball in getting mitigation back up.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Wow this apoc fight is kinda bullshit. Got him down to 25% health with everyone in top shape, then suddenly he decides to dispel and haste and spam humongous AoE 3 times in a row before anyone can get in action in at all. Literally killed half of the team from full health, not sure what exactly is supposed to be done about that?

you save a wall cast (hopefully someone on your team is smart enough to do the same with a medica... preferably Y'Shtola's or Vanille's BSB) for when he dispels. He's pretty easy if you're prepared for it, quite hard if you're not.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Elephant Ambush posted:

This Warmech U++ is ridiculously unfair bullshit. Full Break, Power Breakdown, and Arc's physical blink SB apparently isn't enough. :mad:

Full break and a breakdown aren't usually enough for any U++. Try protectga/shellga/wall?

Geocities Homepage King posted:

Multi-player stories.

Y'shtola turn 1: protectga
Y'shtola turn 2: Aetherial Pulse.

:psyduck:

I was with a Tyro whose OSB landed for a whopping 4000 damage.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

MikeSevigny posted:

I've had good luck with pubbies until now, but nobody's prepared for that dispel so far. I'm taking Celes along because she absorbs pretty much everything for the first third of the fight but nobody seems to take advantage. Thinking of switching out my swiftspell-spamming Onion Knight for something else, I'd take a healing burst if I had one. Maybe Faris + burst + breakdowns for debuffs? My 13 synergy stinks, I have both of Snow's SSBs and that's about it.

I've noticed there's a lack of people bringing supports/wall (lots of Vanille BSB at least) in this fight so I just went straight up Ramza/Y'Shtola (+shout/wall) on my winning run. Everyone was at full hp going into the dispel and I followed up with a wall asap right after, the other Y'Shtola followed suit with an Asylum after I walled. Even still it went pretty close since our best dps was Lightning OSBing for 30kish. The other Y'Shtola guy had a Paladin Cecil set up with magic lure and that seemed to help a little too.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I've beaten apoc Bart a few times now and you'll probably increase your likelihood of winning drastically if you just bring your own waller and bsb medica and pop them as soon as he hits his dispel.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Prav posted:

i just came back from the u+ cid mission and, uh, let me tell you, without a healing burst 1k AoE damage per turn at 650 speed adds up fast. even with Highwind, going with a shout RW instead of wall was completely out of the question.

healing bursts are an absolutely massive step up in power

You're totally right. Eiko and Vanille's BSBs are carrying me through all current content despite having now-mediocre offensive BSBs (best are Celes, Kain, Paladin Cecil).

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I beat apoc bart by leading the raid and being picky about participants

This is always the first thing I do in order to actually get the completion. Afterwards I join games to help out all the dumb OSB Cloud pubbies.

I see a lot of people in the thread complaining that they always join poo poo teams. Create your own and save yourself the humongous headache. This also lets you get away with bringing your own dream dps combo since you can just boot everyone until you get a OK/Ramza/Y'Shtola/Krile/whatever on your team. That being said I've resigned myself to just run Ramza/Y'Shtola from here on out since no one likes to support or buff. Multiplayer when it works is super rad but like every other game can be a real slog with dummies.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Google Sheets works like a pared-down Excel, although you don't really need to do anything fancy with it. Just fill out a grid logically for what you need and colour-code to taste? There's not a whole lot to it.

Here's my current one (inspired by Varance), denoting all OSBs, BSBs, and any SB/SSB with haste, medicas, attach/imperil, or boost/faith:

acumen fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Jan 15, 2017

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I was having issues too until I just RWed a Vanille BSB and popped it after the first Climhazard.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Johnny Aztec posted:

What is this Anniversary Event people keep mentioning? What is it going to contain?

It's the next quarterly festival that also coincides on the second year anniversary of the game's global release, sometime towards the end of March. IIRC it's something like: the usual set of 5 big draws (featuring OSBs and USBs), plus three half-price, one-time lucky draws, a special select banner (aka Ultros select banner with equipment the JP folks voted on) with a free 11-pull (and 50 mythril each afterwards), and some more stuff. Also 50 free mythril from a dungeon.

Ultros select in JP was:

Bartz, Terra, Cloud, Tidus OSB
OK, Paladin Cecil, Y'Shtola, Aerith BSB
Ramza's Shout, Celes' Indomitable Blade, Krile's Sheep Song SSBs

If it's the same then it's a pretty great banner if you don't have many of those. If they let us vote on BSBs as well and we throw on Cid Raines or Alphinaud or whatever instead of Aerith and Paladin Cecil it'll be amazing.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

I needed FF8 synergy so bad and have had piss poor luck on draws lately. This was nice :unsmith:

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Wait, does Exeter's effect stack with full break(down)?

Also what's the multiplier on Zidane's OSB? Will that work in multiplayer too?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Schwartzcough posted:

The SSB is a bad SB nobody wants, and Curtana is a dupe. It's not even a useful dupe since I have full weapon synergy in XIV and already have a rosetta'd 5*+ holy sword. I am unreasonably disappointed in continuing to fail to draw any of the grand prize relics of the last many months, including but not limited to BSBs for: Zell, Refia, Kain, Onion Knight, Eiko, Vanille, Y'shtola, Alphinaud, Cid Raines, Quistis, Maria, and Papalymo. Oh, forgot Ashe and Vaan's BSBs, those are great too. It's getting real drat frustrating.

You can't really say this when you have 500 mythril just sitting there. I mean, of those I have Eiko, Vanille, and Kain's BSBs and 500 mythril ago my best relic was probably Agrias' Cleansing Strike.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

FeralWraith posted:

Going by this https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/5otptj/relic_in_nightmare_summon_2_relic_draw_assuming/, there are 40 relics up for grabs in the Summoner Nightmare banner. I have 12 of them currently:
- Arc's Elder Staff
- Krile's Fire Lash
- Terra's Tiara
- Aerith's Wizer Rod and Wizard Staff
- Rinoa's Cardinal
- Garnet's Wizard Rod
- Eiko's Fairy Flute
- Yuna's Tiny Bee
- Ashe's Stoneblade
- Hope's Eagletalon
- Alphinaud's Evoker's Doublet

They're mostly SSB and Tiny Bee-tier, but I have Aerith's BSB and Hope's OSB.

Currently I have zero offensive magical BSBs. My only interests are the BSBs and OSBs, with Yuna's and Garnet's SSB2s being the only decent consolation prizes I see. Do I take my one shot here to try and nab one, or look at the odds, scream, and run away back toward a Tactics Banner 1 pull? Personally, I'm thinking the latter. (Although now that I think about it, it would be prudent to look up future magic-focused banners.)

I have 8 of those. My mage BSBs suck and I'd love Terra's tiara to go with her OSB or any of the big hitters (Alph, Ashe, etc). My X synergy is awful too and there's quite a few relics on there for that realm. This is probably my last pull until the 2nd anniversary shitshow.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
So far I've beaten all the torments just by stacking break effects and defense while relying on one character to do all the damage. I also use two healers (Yshtola for wall and Vanille with her burst).

This time I just spammed Terra's lovely water BSB command and turtled. Piggies I used a physical team.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I don't really use Minfilia normally but she's been great for MP so far due to her versatility. With her SSB, BSB and fantastic skill set she can cover respectable damage, full support, guts, proshellga, boostga, and even pinch healing to a minor extent. Really helps for joining random teams not knowing what others are bringing since it's easier to switch two skills around than add/equip a whole different character.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Hope BSB and a dupe Eiko BSB. I'm really short on mage BSBs so okay I guess.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
If you combine them that's a pretty solid Tyro/Alphinaud stat stick at least.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
For my levelling party I have them equipped standard (with four +exp RMs) and saved under favourites. When I'm grinding dailies optimize works great for all my synergy equipment.

I'm long past being able to auto-battle the highest difficulty dailies though I guess?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
This game really doesn't want me to have a mage team.

It does however enable my physical A team. Welcome aboard OSB Orlandu.

Two things: do OSBs crit and is it best to just lifesiphon x3, OSB rinse repeat?

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is Deployment Tactics even worth using if I also have Alphinaud's BSB? I've been playing around with it and it seems like I'd almost always be better off just chain-spamming his BSB 1 command instead, at least against single targets. But honestly, it seems like his BSB would be the way to go for multi-target fights too, since then I could use it to spam summons or something instead. I guess maybe a multi-target fight where there's absurd amounts of AoE getting flung around might be the exception?

I was kinda excited to pull it at first, but it's starting to feel like one of those Iga Blade moments where it would be awesome if I didn't have Alph's BSB, but since I do, it just doesn't quite justify itself.

Radiant Shield does some good work in MP.

The atk/mag buff can be handy if you have no other options or need it for the realm. BSB will still be better most of the time but it just gives you that much more flexibility and should cement him a spot on your A Team. I use Ramza for shout almost all the time but every now and then Tailwind is needed in a pinch or I need to interrupt a boss for a medal with his Throw Stone SB. Just more tools in the toolbox.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Beasteh posted:

Ah yes, a pub Ultima 200 without any form of haste or boost, and the lone Vanille healer decides that casting her 2-hit holy command 1 is more beneficial than healing the party that's getting ripped to shreds by ultima :thumbsup:

This is why you always bring a healer

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Oh great, wiser rod again.

E: nm I guess only the top 3 make the banner?

acumen fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Mar 9, 2017

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
1/11 OK gauntlets, just what I wanted/needed :getin:

Is it all that necessary to be stacking a 50% atk buff with a 30/30 buff? I have shout/Minfilia's SSB for one and now OK/Celes BSB for the other.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Cowcaster posted:

necessary? no it's not necessary per se

Like I'm currently running TGC/OSB, Firion/BSB, Minfilia/BSB/SSB, OK/BSB, Vanille/BSB. Would I just be better off replacing Minfilia with another DPS like Terra/OSB or Kain/BSB?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Hm, I can manage 450+ attack (+bursts) even with neutral synergy. Might still keep Minfilia anyway since guts is useful and between her, Orlandu, Firion, and OK there's some serious skill coverage.

My mage meta is fairly mediocre otherwise since my only decent damage is Terra's OSB.

• Locked thread