Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Apologies for being a picker of nits, but Senya's last name is "Tirall".

Edit: And here's a referral link, if anybody wants to use one: http://www.swtor.com/r/38xkst

prefect fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Oct 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Penny Arcade doesn't actually do research on the stuff they draw cartoons about? :monocle:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I said come in! posted:

Probably not, but it was still funny.

Guess I'm just defensive, probably because I've been enjoying the game so much since I came back. :blush:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

KittyEmpress posted:

I remember landing on Hoth on my SW and every mob in the first area was red, because I hadn't been doing FPs or Heroics and I was like 5 levels below Hoth's 'starting' level... so I went and did a bunch of space missions, a ton of pvping, and grinded my way to where I could actually continue my story. It was terrible.

I also got murdered on Hoth, because my Operative had snuck around all the enemies on previous planets, so I was several levels below what I was supposed to be. :saddowns:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

I've started playing this (yeah it was the trailer) and I'm doing Sith Inquisitor/Sorcerer. I've noticed that when I smash Force Lightning, I can then instantly cast Chain Lightning, which normally has a casting time. This mechanic is not explained anywhere I can find and if the buttons weren't next to each other on my bar I wouldn't have noticed. Is there anywhere that can give me some details about this, like what other powers have this synergy? Am I supposed to be setting up combo chains or something?

This is one of the down sides of the simpler/faster leveling. You gain levels so quickly and you don't have to train most abilities that you'll miss ones that are in your class tree. I'm pretty sure the instant-cast chain lightning is from one of these:

(This picture is out of date, but you get the idea.)

I find it extremely educational to look at it once in a while and mouse over each ability so that I actually have more of a clue as to what's going on.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

There are tons of in game tutorials, and the skill trees explicitly explain the perks. They even made it so if a skill is buffed it flashes and is highlighted.

What more would you like to see?

When you gain a level where one of those passive buffs kicks in, it says something like "Trained ability Something" on the middle of the screen, but it fades away super-fast, and it isn't in the chat window, so it's very easy to miss.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

True, but if you view through the "skill tree" tutorial or whatever it's called it explains the skills, passives and actives.

Right, that's why I advise people to look at it every once in a while. I never used to, and had very little awareness of what was going on.

Levels come pretty fast; if you don't look around, you could miss them.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ponuh posted:

Seems reasonable that no one would know what they're doing in FP since the game otherwise basically plays itself. I just hit 30 and I have about 12 more buttons than i actually need to kill anything, and this is even with disabling the healing skills on my companion. After about a day and a half I'm basically just sticking it out for the story at this point. They've made some extremely weird choices with this game.

I was doing a Sith Assassin yesterday and trying out Hatred, because I'd never done it before. It just kept adding buttons and abilities that seemed important enough to use, and I was thoroughly overwhelmed. (I figure any ability that's mentioned in the skill tree is important enough that I should try to use it regularly.) It was demoralizing.

Then I switched to Darkness, and wow the graphics and effects are sooo much cooler than they are for Combat Shadows. :swoon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

Is there an essential chain leading from the end of class story chapters to KOTFE?

e.g. I remember Makeb being pointless garbage that should be skipped.

It's worth doing Makeb twice, first as a Republic character, then as an Imperial character. Then you can forget it exists, unless you want to give yourself fear-of-heights nightmares and spend a couple hours trying to get a datacron.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

I hate Qyzen.

I find his voice unpleasant and his attitude towards Wookiee-hunting to be disgusting.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Magmarashi posted:

Every conversation with Skadge should have ended with the option to replace his entire head with a flurry of hot plasma.

He really shouldn't have survived the initial meeting.

Although I will admit he can be funny as a companion. I wanted to get the 1000-kills-with-companion achievement, so I had him running around behind me as a medic, asking if I was going to cry like a little baby because I got injured.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Turbl posted:

The Shadow of Revan stuff and Ziost is worth doing at least once since they setup some characters and motivations for the KOTFE story.

Makeb is alright but I don't think you miss out on anything important by skipping it.

In retrospect, I kind of wish I were around for the Hutt expansion, because there's a lot of interesting stuff going on. You've got macrobinoculars and the digging UFO and the Dread Masters are all over the place. It feels like there's more happening that intertwines. Although people probably prefer the Big Thing Happening in general.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

sassassin posted:

I picked up that dread seed questline which had a lot of digging and a level with a lot of jumping on boxes. Does it not go anywhere in the end?

There's a Heroic-4 mission at the end that I've had sitting on two of my characters for ages now. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

EdEddnEddy posted:

Also I had bit of a LOL in my first Flashpoint, I got the superbot companion killed and I have no idea how. I thought that thing was supposed to be nigh invulnerable for Solo Flashpoints?

I don't know if I've seen the droid get killed, but it's definitely gotten knocked off the platform in the Shae Vizsla flashpoint.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hulk Smash! posted:

There's a bit of flavor text with all companions that were previously with the PC. It's pretty minor though. With Vette, there's a bit more if you were in a relationship with her prior to KOTEE.

I loved it when my Agent encountered Kaliyo on Zakuul.

Kaliyo: No way! Where have you been?
Theron: You two know each other?
Agent: She was my wife.

Really good line reading on that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Generally, getting to level 3 requires more experience and time than getting to level 2 did. Is that curve also going to exist for these command ranks? :ohdear:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Will War Hero color crystals turn into Hawkeye or Eviscerating versions?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

They are becoming Mastery crystals.

Here's a question I keep forgetting to ask: does anyone ever use Indestructible crystals? Should tanks use them, or is that only needed when you're a raider?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Bilirubin posted:

Everything I have ever heard about Evercrack makes me so glad I never had the desire to try it

Read about Fansy the Bard and tell me you wouldn't want to at least take a look: http://www.notaddicted.com/fansythefamous.php

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

They are becoming Mastery crystals.

I need to start piling up money before this is widely known; war hero crystals are some of the cheapest on the GTN, and some colors I don't have are available that way.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

I wouldn't splurge too much. Most people don't augment Mastery anymore so Power/Crit will still be the crystals of choice for DPS/Heals.

Yeah, but if I want to run around with a red-black crystal, this is the only way I'm going to get one. :D

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

neurotic posted:

has it been confirmed that we won't be able to progress any DvL achievements once the event is over? Basically what I'm asking is if I start a bunch of new characters during the event, can I complete the level 50 achievements after the event is over (but the characters were still created during the event, and so will have the DvL flag set) to complete the final tier?

If it were possible to get achievements and rewards after the event is over, then it's not really over, is it?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

neurotic posted:

But it isn't the same with every event. During Bounty Contract Week, bounties exist that don't exist otherwise. During the Rhakghoul event, an area that doesn't normally exist in the game is turned on. The DvL achievements state things like this: "Defeat 50 Gree Droids with any character created during the Dark vs Light event." See the difference?

Somebody has asked this on the official forums, so if there's going to be an official answer, it will be there: http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=9082267&postcount=2526

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

madstrike posted:

Noob question 1: so with the super xp bonus going on, i'm leveling way too fast for the pace of the 'normal' progression line so i'm pretty much only doing "main story" quests and other "pink" ones.

So my question is, are those other "pink" ones required for anything or can i just ignore them and focus only on the main story? What i mean by other is: after Coruscant, i went to Taris (Republic side) i think and besides the main story quest there, a few others showed up (deal with some Torluka, some medical thingie, corrupt guy running a camp,etc).

Those are the planetary story quests. They're not mandatory, but they do get locked off once you start KOTFE. You can do them any time up until them. Other than that, they're not really special, except that they link together to form a chain story.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

EdEddnEddy posted:

So outside of the pink/purple stuff for the main story, once you start KOTFE, can you come back and play whatever gold colored quest is left at any time?

Yep. Although the planetary story quests have some quality goodness in them, so I wouldn't just recommend everybody skip them. You'll never get to be a Black Bisector that way. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

madstrike posted:

Is there a list of these "maybe you shouldn't miss this questline for cool rewards" ?

If you're looking for titles, you probably want this: http://dulfy.net/2013/02/07/swtor-titles-guide/

Those are the only "cool rewards" I can think of offhand.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

One crate per hour without even poopsocking? Dang I ain't mad about that! Give me some fresh rewards once per hour! I mean compare that to once per week now if you're lucky?

Yeah, "one thing per hour" is much, much more generous than I'd thought possible. Feel much better about this now.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

rantmo posted:

Speaking of the game being alt-friendly, do I have to join the Guild on each character individually? Because I'm a bit of an altoholic and that seems like a pain for the people I will keep asking for Guild joining.

Get used to it. :D (I personally only ask for invites if there are at least two other guild members online. This means most of my Republic alts are guildless. :()

My alts have gotten out of control recently; I'm trying to put together a plan to figure out how many I should actually have. :spergin:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm thinking maybe one character for each tank/heal advanced class on both Republic and Empire. Then for those classes, one of each of the DPS specs, but one Republic and one Empire. Haven't worked out a plan for dealing with the all-DPS advanced classes yet. :spergin:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Magmarashi posted:

LS Warrior has to be the best story in the entire game because you spend it making Jedi so goddamn mad at how much better you are than them they go DS

Agent story is the best, LS SW is second best because of this, JK is third because you get to be Space Captain America and punch Space Hitler. (Also, you get to be such a good Space Captain America that you can convince bad guys to switch sides.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

M_Sinistrari posted:

For how much Legacy gear I have, I wish they'd have a special storage for it or be able to toss it all into Collections just to let us free up more storage space.

I've spent hours going through the stuff you get from KOTFE crates, de-duping and vendoring extra stuff, and it takes up way too much time and effort. Those really should have gone into collections.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Can't link it since I'm at work, but they just announced -

Warzone comms and crystals being converted to credits with 5.0

Warzone grants becoming bind on pickup tomorrow

Dammit. I was planning to buy a set of the 204 PVP gear for my JK, because it looks so good. Could be a long night tonight.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Everybody remember to always choose the LS options so we get the cool companion.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I said come in! posted:

I don't understand Hypercrates, why can't I just buy what I want individually? :/ I only want the pets and mounts.

Every time I get another XP boost that I'll never use, I shake my fist in anger at the SWTOR gods. :doom:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Proud Christian Mom posted:

so do Courting gifts work on anyone? all my space-baes just shrug when i give them one

I think Doc likes them. He probably regifts them to his ladyfriends.

Actual useful information:
http://dulfy.net/2015/10/21/swtor-fallen-empire-companion-influences-guide/

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Captain Oblivious posted:

It's almost as though this game is being developed by a skeleton crew in order to extract maximum profit for a bare minimum of effort :v:

Didn't they fire something like 200 people immediately after launch? It's felt understaffed from the beginning; I'm pretty happy that it's still here at all. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

Crystal/Comm conversion rates!

1 Warzone Commendation = 50 Credits
1 Common Crystal = 500 credits
1 Glowing Crystal = 1,000 credits
1 Radiant Crystal = 1,500 credits

And here I was feeling pretty good after pooling all my WZ comms and coming out with 25K. :(

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Berke Negri posted:

I will say this is one thing that never made sense to me about Zakuul segments is its all very cinematic and instanced and then when you're in the swamp or the city you see everyone running around with your companion you have out at the moment in tow. Maybe they planned on dailies, or something? It doesn't really mesh with most of the other KOTFE content and it doesn't serve any purpose at all. Having redone KOTFE recently it wasn't as jarring at launch when there would be dozens of other players in your instance right when it released but still.

I'll admit it doesn't make sense, but I've always enjoyed getting to see that I'm not the only person playing the game. I tell myself it's a concession to the idea that you're playing something MMOish.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cythereal posted:

I'm not sure I buy that. If I had to point to anyone as a dev favorite it would be some combination of Senya, Valkorion, Arcann, or Vaylin.

I don't think it's Arcann. He's looked like a clown almost from the beginning. An immensely powerful clown, but a clown nonetheless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Cythereal posted:

I'm not sure there's some dissonance going on between how the writers want players to perceive Arcann and the general perception of Arcann as a bumbler. Same goes for Valkorion and Vaylin - I personally can't take any of them seriously as villains, but the story clearly wants me to.

Valkorion doesn't respect Arcann, either. During your initial meeting with the big V, he tells Arcann he has no ambition, only jealousy. (Could be misquoting the specifics there.) And before the fight at the Scion hangout, he says "beware the snake who thinks himself a dragon". (Again, probably an imprecise quote.) Arcann seems like a petulant child with waaayyyy too much power.

• Locked thread