Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Post score from the last thread. I think I win.

Yes. "Win".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Nerd Of Prey posted:

There's tactical mode, which can be done at any level with a partial group, a badly-geared group, an all-DPS group, or whatever sad collection of random dudes the group finder throws at you, with clickable healing nodes for when the going gets rough.
I would argue that depending on the random selection of keyboard mashers that you get, tactical is not always that easy. The number of people who ignore AOE, kolto stations, telegraphed moves, and other boss mechanics never ceases to amaze me. And that doesn't include attacking cc'd enemies and the old standby of fighting the strongest mob first and ignoring trash mob.

No I haven't been doing the FP master part of DvsL, why do you ask?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Tactical FPs are considerably more difficult than hard mode flashpoints, if only because you'll never get a healer or tank. Almost every single tactical I've had we haven't been able to clear until someone quits and we can summon a healing companion in their place.

SWTOR: A game where NPC's are more efficient then actual live players.

Put that on the back of the box.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Cart Mountain posted:

Last year I subbed for a few months around KOTFE's release. I burned myself out leveling every class to 50, but I stopped at 50 for all of the classes. I'm looking to jump back in to experience all the main 50-65 story content for the first time; is there a preferred path or guide I can follow?

If you haven't seen anything post-class story it goes something like this IIRC

Ilum
Makeb
Oricon
Czerka
Prelude to Shadow of Revan
Shadow of Revan
Ziost
KOTFE

The breadcrumb for Ilum starts on your ship. There's a terminal near the holoprojector with the mission.

With 2x XP you'll hit 65 waayyyy before the end of that chain though.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

sassassin posted:

Is there an essential chain leading from the end of class story chapters to KOTFE?

e.g. I remember Makeb being pointless garbage that should be skipped.

Look up two posts above the one I quoted. I listed the post-story chain for someone else.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Captain Oblivious posted:

I know class stories are basically dead and gone, but I hope that with Vette apparently being a major party member tin KOTEE that she at least has different dialogue to reflect her background with the Warrior.

There's a bit of flavor text with all companions that were previously with the PC. It's pretty minor though. With Vette, there's a bit more if you were in a relationship with her prior to KOTEE.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

I don't know that you can. I believe the only romances you can begin in KOTFE are Lana and Theron.

You can also try flirting with Senya and Satele but that doesn't work so well

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Maybe it's because I don't raid but that doesn't seem that different than now. It's still random what you get and raids are still the fastest way to the good stuff. My understanding is that no one that's serious about raiding really buys anything with comms so those going away is not a big deal and crafted gear is still sub-par.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

But it's going back to a 1.0 like RNG based system. You get a box with a random piece of gear based on your Advanced Class - so you could get two set piece belts. Anyone who remembers warzone Champion gearing can tell you how awful it was.

And if what the thread is saying is true, no more getting a piece of gear on one alt (like an unassembled piece) and transferring it to an alt, since the gear is advanced class based.

I guess it will depend on how fast you level galactic command and how often you get rewards for it.

Hm. OK. Hopefully the rate you gain points is high enough and the ability to disintegrate useless items for more points will help mitigate that.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

madstrike posted:

No no, i meant: when i go to the guild screen, 3 panels show up with that info. No guild browser or list or whatever.

So was wondering if there's a required level to join a guild?

As long as you're not F2P (and it sounds like you're not) you can whisper someone and get an invite from level 1.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

rantmo posted:

Speaking of the game being alt-friendly, do I have to join the Guild on each character individually? Because I'm a bit of an altoholic and that seems like a pain for the people I will keep asking for Guild joining.

Yes. There's no function to invite by legacy. Keep asking to join on all you alts.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Sort of. They are +25% to base XP, so it's 225% XP if you use one.

They're not really necessary to level but hey, if you've got em, use em. :)

Yes, 2x XP + XP boost + guild boost + DvL +50% XP armor = hillarious.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

I think I'm actually going to level to 70 doing heroics before I start KOTET, since you get GC points for doing the chapters, and you don't get GC points til 70.

Yeah but you also get GC points for doing heroics. I guess it's going to be a matter of which gets you more to see the "best" order to level.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

DrunkenGarbageCan posted:

I really, really want to give Bioware money because I loving love Star Wars but they make it really hard with how awful the Hypercrates are...the last one gave me 8 copies of the same Indestructible crystal and zero gold or platinum items. The Grand Chance Cubes do nothing for me since I have hundreds of millions of credits and am 100% on mounts, color crystals, emotes, weapons, toys, decos, and pets minus the time card ones. The armors have been fairly meh recently as well, the Secret Agent set was the first must have for me since the Sith Recluse set. I'm not a big fan of the Zakuul aesthetic.

Out of curiosity, what would make hypercrates attractive to you? With that amount of space-cash, wouldn't you just buy everything you like off the GTN anyway?

I'm not even sure what would do it for me. Maybe if they upped the chance for gold/platinums? I "only" have ~200 million and it's very rare that a whole hypercrate does anything for me. I usually buy items piecemeal off the GTN.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Oct 27, 2016

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

I would also replace one of the Hypercrate packs with a guaranteed gold/platinum (from that pack) item/armor set that would permanently bind when you claim it.
I like this. That'd be cool.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Prices on grade 6 gifts are dropping like a rock. I listed a bunch right when the announcement came out at 130k each (cheapest price) and there's already some for 50k. :(

Sucker. I sold all my grade 5 and 6 stacks last week for over 15 mil :D

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Dunno-Lars posted:

The most got to be the crate o matic or what they are named. No idea on price though.

If you count illegal things, some random grey item is probably the most expensive from back when people duped insane amounts of money and tried to launder it throuh the GTN.

I've bought crate-o-matics to flip for under 25 million on JC. They're not that expensive. Inflation is pretty rampant right now though. I had 5 million a year ago and now have over 200 mil without really trying just by buying low, selling high.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

If your goal is leveling quick, stealth may not be a good idea. With double XP, trash mobs actually give a fair amount of XP, not to mention they're usually a bonus objective in flashpoints or Heroics.

Yeah, I would actually suggest a class with fair/good AOE with 2x XP going on. Put your companion on DPS and go to town.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm not sure on the drop odds for it, but going from the posts on the official forums, there's people buying 3-4 hypercrates at a go and not seeing a single pike. Lot of people are clamoring for it or a version of it to be cartel market only.

I believe that Medullah's saber is the regular version at 175 mil... There isn't a single pike on the GTN right now. Pike (and saber) are part of the next pack too so hopefully we may see more available then?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Sombrerotron posted:

God bless the first world for copious amounts of spare time to waste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNpSuHcM0A8

:staredog:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Is there anyone who will not be participating in the contest who would like to judge it with me?

Sure

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Edit - Well Hulk Smash!, I'm still getting a fair amount for dumping my crystals into companion gifts.

Yeah, I was going to do that as well but, well, I'm really lazy. I've been dumping crafting mats though, while the prices are still high.

I'm at the point of having most of what I want though, so more credits has become like a clicker phone game. Just make the numbers go up with no real reason in sight.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

rantmo posted:

I call this costume, my first ever character and I haven't figured out anything about this alleged dye system but I still ended up looking pretty cool even if the helmet's colors don't quite work with the rest of it.

You might know but, just in case, there's a "unify colors" button on the character sheet. You access it by clicking the little chest armor icon on the bottom right. It will match every piece you are wearing to your chestpiece's color scheme. Your helmet would become black/red.

E: Although maybe that's not available if you're F2P?

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Nov 5, 2016

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Of course historically "Early Access" has been more of an "Open Beta" since there is almost always bugs or enormous lag the first few days (Rishi Meat Tree, :911:)

"Rishi Meat Tree" would make for a good username.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

In the meantime I've put 80 hours into Tyranny in the last two weeks.
:cheers: I'm on my 3rd playthrough

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Finished KOTET. I found it a stronger entry than KOTFE overall, even if the corridors full of trash enemies were still there (but to a lesser extent than before). Without any XP buff or using the XP armor, I hit 70 at the start of chapter VII.

Mild chapter III spoiler about a bug I had: When you have to blow up the power generators to prevent the bomb from destroying the Gravestone, the game sometimes warped me to the center of the destroyed generators - forcing me to use /stuck, which is on a cooldown. When the whole mission's on a timer, that doesn't work out so well. Had to repeat it about 20 times until I got lucky

End of KOTET with a SW spoiler: All in all it was a cool journey for my SW to go from generic Sith thug, to Wrath, to Emperor and it felt like a natural progression. I'm not sure how that's going to feel on, say, a Smuggler or a trooper.

End results spoiler:Bye bye, Koth, Senya, SCORPIO, and Torian. You won't be missed and I still have your holograms for decorations :v:

I'm not sure that I like the grindy aspects of command points but I guess I'm not the audience for that mechanic anyway.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Late KOTET spoilers:

Telltale Games: You must choose!
Me: I caaaaaaaaan't :smith:
KOTET: You must ch-
Me: Kill Torian.

Yeah, really. That wasn't much of a hard choice.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Everyone can invite on both sides, we changed it when they upped the member limit to 1,000.

On a side note, I've only had two Uprisings pop for me. Done and Dusted is simple, 10 minutes worth of work. Crimson Fang...who the hell thought this was a doable thing with 4 DPS? The first boss is MEGA damage even if you properly dodge his shots, and the two droid bosses are seriously impossible if you don't have a healer. The only time I've gotten past them was when I was in a tank, healer, 2 DPS "tactical" group, and the healer STILL had to run over the healing stations to keep the tank up.

I had the same problem with the last boss pair in Inferno. 4 DPS couldn't keep up and - I don't know if this part was design or a bug but - the kolto stations did not appear again once used. So, if we used them all and died, the next time around we had to try without any kolto stations.

Hulk Smash! fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 8, 2016

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Explosions posted:

Hey, so I just started playing this a bit ago (with the thread's referral code, so I guess maybe you'll get Space Bucks?) as a Sith Warrior, and man... I mean, I enjoyed force choking droids, watching them gasp for robot air as much as anyone, but that story is just not doing it for me. So, before I commit to a second playthrough, two questions:

A) If I try Imperial Agent, is it going to be fun space opera spy adventure or is it going to be a lot of shadowy people tenting their hands and announcing that all is going according to plan? I'm not crapping on the latter, it's just, I have no interest in Star Wars's mysticism and ancient lore and I have trouble caring about "Lord Nefario seeks a seat in Darth Atrocious's star chamber." I just like the space ships and laser fights.

B) It was hard not to notice all the red glowy cave entrances a dozen feet from my green glowy Sith Warrior cave entrances - if I play another Imperial, will it be exactly the same game with a different framing story before I go fight through the same places? If I play Republic, I know they get the same planets, but will the settings feel particularly different? It was also hard not to notice that as a Sith Warrior I spent an awful lot of time murdering other Imperials.

Bounty Hunter is probably the Imperial side story with the least mysticism but Agent is, by most accounts, a much better story.

BHs are cooler than Agents though. :colbert:

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

They say the dark side corrupts, but drat

Alas, it was short-lived. From the patch notes:

"Bipedal mounts are no longer causing female characters’ bodies to distort."

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

So, hey, if you're a new or returning player. Click this here referral link and get some free stuff to make life easier as a F2P/Preferred and/or 500cc if you subscribe.

I assure you there's no reason at all that I'm sharing my link this month only. Special offer*. Act now!

*Offer void in parts of Guam.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

Sort of. You only have to do "Story" quests - which are class story and planetary storyline. These are highlighted as "purple" and give you essentially 6x the XP they used to. You can skip the Planetary storylines and supplement with something else, like PvP or Heroics. The good news is you never outlevel a planet with level sync, so everything gives you good XP.

This is actually true for F2P and Preferred as well, however Subscribers get on average 20% more XP from everything so F2P just has to work a bit harder for their XP. Joining a guild gives you a 5-10% XP boost, and you are given +25% XP boosts pretty liberally through the storyline.

Do you get the storyline XP boosts as F2P/Preferred though? It feels like it's something that they would gate behind subscribing and just dangle them in front of you as "hey, you could have got these too if only you just gave us some money"

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

:(

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

A Curvy Goonette posted:

So if I request a level 60 or 65 char can I still go back and do their story quests? Or will having all the companions right off the bat screw that up?

If you start a character at 60 or 65 with a level-up token, it assumes you finished your class story and puts you at the beginning of KOTFE and KOTET respectively. You can't go back and do the class quests.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Why's he wearing clothes?

Naked Hutt Jedi is so much better.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Aleth posted:

That all looks very, very good. There'll still be whining about it though.

Wouldn't be a MMO if there wasn't

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Perhaps instead of contests we could save everbody some time and just give stuff to Sombrerotron in exchange for videos?

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

M_Sinistrari posted:

Is anyone having trouble with today's patch? I keep getting a notice about an unspecified error happening and to try again.

It's not just you

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Nipponophile posted:

Long story short: SWTOR isn't a very good MMO.

It's an OK to pretty good single player RPG though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Bilirubin posted:

Plus its fun to play dev/dressup with Barbie's Dream House
That's the real reason.

• Locked thread