Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah the P2P is generally ok for Duel and Brawl but goodness gracious does it dump all over Dominion.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OctaMurk posted:

Warlord headbutt spam and Peacekeeper stabs have got to be the most cancerous bullshit

My favorite thing about the Nobushi is that she just shits on Peacekeepers that are used to just going full-auto without any regards to circumstance.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

OctaMurk posted:

unlock the in-game characters with about 10-15 hours of gameplay apiece.

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gay Horney posted:

I audibly sighed when you posted begging like a complete bitch for a beta key like it was lifesaving medicine early on itt. What a surprise I skip to the end of the thread and you're still here, being blatantly wrong and posting about posting. You make every loving thread you post in so, so much worse.

Bonus points: I never saw that post until you quoted it. I've had that idiot on my ignore list for months. I don't know or care what he posts about me but apparently he still takes pot shots.

Zaphod: I've made it clear in the past that I have no desire to interact with you. Please do not direct posts towards me. I don't see them (unless quoted obv).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

I'm glad of it.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Keegers posted:

Is 2v2 fun? I never tried it over the beta. Just assumed it was 1v1 but you have a chance of someone getting an assist called in

2v2 is just 1v1 but with lots of rage about E-HONOR.

Which is not to say that's a bad thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

this game is all about honorable face to face duels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVUh0MldXDQ

Interesting, didn't know that you could survive what is normally a lethal drop as long you plunge attack somebody!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TwingeCrag posted:

I am torn as to which platform to buy this game for. I'm pretty sold the gameplay,so that's not really an issue. I experienced minor frame drops when I was playing on PS4, but from what I hear the general consensus is that the console community lingers much longer than the one on PC. But if it's equitable I'd rather play on PC with an xbone controller for that sweet 60+fps and better networking.

You basically spelled it out for yourself as both of your assertions are correct. The PC will have the better FPS and possibly connections, but the console will absolutely have a bigger community for longer. It's a value judgement that only you can make.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Perestroika posted:

For reference, recruiting a new character costs 500 steel (the ingame currency), while fulfilling a single daily quest gives you 300 steel, on top of regular rewards from finishing games. So you can unlock the entire roster in rather short order if you want to.

I would not take it for granted that the steel values in the demo will necessarily be the same as release. Both the amount of steel that things cost and how easily steel is earned may change.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kamikaze Raider posted:

I haven't heard anything about the values being different for release. Where did you hear that they could be?

There hasn't been a statement. I'm not even saying that it will be the case, just that it could be. I do find it very likely that it will be the case however, and I have two reasons to believe it.

1) It is common for demos/"betas" to change or reduce unlock requirements. This is because they want players to experiment with things that the limited time frame would not allow them to unlock otherwise. Take the Star Wars: Battlefront beta for example. In the release version of the game the Jump Pack didn't unlock until like level 15 or something (and the beta capped at level 5). However just for the beta they changed it so that the Jump Pack unlocked at level 3. This is because the jump pack is fun and they wanted people to use it. They wanted it to be shown on streams. So they changed it. Ubisoft certainly did not want this weekend long beta to be nothing but Infinite Vanguard Combat, so it would make sense they would make unlocking heroes very easy.

2) The pricing doesn't add up. Heroes in the beta were either 100 or 500 steel. But costumes range between 1500 and 3000 steel. Taunts and executions are more like 5000 steel. This doesn't jive to me. If you take a look at MOBAs for example, they usually have hefty price tags in to unlock heroes, with skins and other customization options being the lesser cost. I suspect that in this beta the cost of costumes/taunts/executions were unchanged from what release will be, but that the heroes themselves were heavily discounted because otherwise people wouldn't unlock them during the limited time frame of the beta. And yes, you could play them anyway but if we are being realistic people just don't want to play a character as much is they can't customize them.

Additionally, the very numbers of 100 or 500 steel are suspect because they are too small. So small that they are pointless. If it is that easy to unlock them then everyone will have every character unlocked within a week. You might as well not require them to be unlocked at all. The barrier is so small that it will be pointless, which makes me believe it is not the real barrier.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 30, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
We shall see! I'm just making a casual prediction. My point is really just that I would caution against assuming that the current numbers are set in stone. They may be the same at release, or they very well may not.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The warlord is a top tier head to head combatant.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CountingWizard posted:

I don't understand why this fighting system wasn't used for some sort of musou game or roaming armies mount and blade style game. Instead we get boring "matches". Not that there is anything wrong with 1v1; it is perfect for honing technique.

Honor and Blade.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The game has a pretty good ability to spot join sessions in progress. Imagine playing in some kind of adventure mode and having other players invade by taking the place of NPCs, and that these encounters would heavily influence the Faction War.

Wow!!! :eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hard posted:

Doesn't look like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh1-YxNJxXQ

It seems, however, that there will be the elimination mode. AKA 4v4 TDM.

I wonder why they call them different modes when really it's duels with different numbers of players involved.

"Four modes" makes better advertising than "two modes"!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hard posted:

To be fair the Open Beta version was probably ready even before the last closed beta ever happened. While i'm sure players' concerns are heard and taken into consideration, any major change takes time.

Yeah, anything that pops out during the open beta or at release isn't a reaction, just what was already there. I'm just really hoping that they are holding in their pocket at least one other significant game mode that we haven't heard about yet (not the campaign).

I'm also VERY interested to see if the netcode/p2p/WHATEVER is improved by the open beta. Dominion was the only mode that was really suffering, but it was suffering bad for me and many others. Lots of disconnects and dead games. If that is fixed in the open beta I will greatly improve my confidence in the product.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 31, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Hard posted:

That was fast :P For Honor was made in the same building as Siege yes and I have a quite lot of ''friends'' who've worked on it but I was in no way involved in this projet.

If anything I'm contract-bound to not say anything that would diminish my employer and I'm hellbent on respecting NDAs but aside from that, I genuinely like this game that's why i'm posting here in the first place.

As the Lead Programmer for For Honor can you please nerf Orochi?

tia

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I hope they include a changelog of whatever balancing is done.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I have a great anti-cheat device it's called the XBONE.

Actually like 90% of the reason I own a console is just for games that are at risk of cheating/low pop.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Keegers posted:

Cheating isn't even that rampant in PC games with good antihacker systems. Like CSGO with their prime matchmaking.

Yeah but the key there is the word "good". A lot of games have poor anti-cheat. Some don't have really have any.

I've had very little experience with online Ubisoft games (none, basically) but if I a lot of other people are worried I take that as a bad omen. If I had to guess on a scale from Blizzard (10) to From Software (0) I'd probably say they are around the rating of an EA(4-6).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Yeah see if the recent Ubisoft releases have had problems then I'd say it's reasonable for people to worry the same thing may happen here (because it probably will).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I don't think anyone is freaking out?

If I get the game it will be on console so I'm not worried about cheats. I think most of the others are just playing the angle "better wait and see, don't buy at release because cheats may be a problem" which is very reasonable imo. Especially when the developer has recent history with cheats being a problem.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
How many cheaters is "too many" cheaters is very subjective. I don't think anyone should be telling other people how often encountering a cheater is too much. For some people one cheater in a week is too much. For others they may have to see several in the same day to find it a big problem. Both point of views are ok.

Whatever the actual frequency of cheating, many people have decided there were too many cheaters in Siege. I can promise you they did not make this determination randomly. People do not randomly descend on specific games en masse and declare it vulnerable to hacks. And if a recent release by the same company did not meet their standards for cheat protection, how can anyone blame them for being wary of the next?

I've never played Siege, but I know it had an issue with cheats. I know this with certainty. And not because I read it here, but because I can read it anywhere. If just a few posters, or hell, the whole of the SA thread believed the game to have a cheat problem... well you could still explain that as a Thread Think. But anywhere on the internet where games are discussed there is talk of the issues Siege had with cheaters. That does not happen on accident. It does not happen because only tiny minority were affected. It happens for a reason, and it is valid when discussing Ubisoft games, especially as it is so recent.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Feb 1, 2017

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

7c Nickel posted:

Hello, please produce a female raider dakimakura kthnx.

:eyepop:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

7c Nickel posted:

I like a woman who can sweep me up in her arms (and throw me off a cliff).

For Honor: Powerful Norwegian Women vs. Scrawny Non-Aryans.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Well, that settles it then!!!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gimbal lock posted:

There's a lot of misunderstandings about the nature of how the peer to peer part of the communication between the pool of players is being used by the game. If everything was entirely peer to peer it might have been a lot easier to do cheaty stuff, but a lot of permissions are happening server side.
Things'll get a lot clearer on release.

As for auto blocking scripts though, yeah that might be a lot harder to stop 100%. Basically anything with plausible deniability. I'm talking mostly about overtly cheaty stuff like ridiculous stats or speed hacking.

It is good to know that highly overt cheating, which nobody was really worried about, is what you were talking about. Almost as comforting as knowing that artificial inputs like auto dodge/parry/whatever, which is much more likely and difficult to detect, is apparently not what you were talking about!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Two heroes... but three factions!!!

Which one will be left out? :ohdear:

e: it better not be the Glorious Handsome Samurai!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
For Honor 2018: Four kinds of Samurai and Knights, twenty kinds of Viking.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
MYSTERY

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

rap music posted:

there's poo poo i should add to the op but my god im lazy

Eh don't bother. The open beta and release are both real soon. Might as well just tidy it up then.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I demand an investigation of the missing Orochi scabbard.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Are "bad hombres" from Viking lands responsible???

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The Faction War probably solidifies a three faction system.

What is more likely is that they do the Extremely Obvious Thing and take advantage of the cataclysm present in the lore. Oh look, after this here volcano storm or whatever, survivors from Not Rome have made it to our lands! They have joined forces with the Knights faction. Meanwhile, the Not Egyptians have thrown in their lot with the Samurai!

Stuff like that.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Captain Oblivious posted:

That's functionally equally good, and I'm down with that.

Yeah, should be good. It comes with the added advantage of not requiring them to commit to a full four characters just to add in new peeps. They can just make two Romans if they want, or even just one. It enables fluid additions to the rosters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
I have to say that I'm extremely please dwith the season pass + general DLC plan.

Anyone who was listening to me before (>0 people???) know that I was skeptical of this game's value compared to the price point. But I was assessing that value based on the assumption that, as per most AAA games now, that after my $60 purchase of the game I would face an additional hurdle of "buy the season pass or be treated like a second class citizen". I've never played Siege so I wasn't familiar with the model at all. This setup is actually extremely cool and good. And coming from games like Star Wars: Battlefront, where the season pass content fractures the player base and basically makes the base game owners feel like assholes, it's a breath of fresh air. It's basically a model that says "you should probably buy the pass if you have less time than money. But if you plan to play a lot then it's up to you bro. Buy it or not you'll be ok!" And I love that. Giving everyone access to content for earn-able currency is good. Giving everyone the new maps and modes is GOOD. It is something that I'm not used to seeing among big name productions. The fact that I'm not really pressured into the season pass (and it's not an unofficial Must Buy) is really nice, and it significantly alters how I assess the game's value.

This basically clears my concern as to the game's content:price ratio. My other big remaining concern is that during the closed beta I experienced big connection problems during Dominion, as did the people I was playing with. If they clear that up during the open beta then I have to say this will be one HOT game for 2017. I'm eagerly awaiting to open beta to see if this is the case.

p.s. Represent Samurai errday.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Feb 3, 2017