Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Yer pretty dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

The fighting game guy in me really wishes I could record the dummy actions and just have it play against me. So many situations I keep wanting to test out but they are a bit hard to force in a normal match.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I dl'ed the pc beta as well(normally on ps4) to try out the keyboard/mouse controls and I will say its not as bad as I feared. I still consider playing on a controller superior however kb+m is not bad at all.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Buschmaki posted:

Kensei can dodge into you, grab you and then slam you into a wall and get off an unblockable that takes off half of your health. it feels very cool to do.

Dashing guardbreaks are super strong and only 2.5 characters have them*. Kensi can forward dash into break, raider can forward&side dash into breaks, and warden can ghetto do it by dash->shoulder->shoulder cancel into guardbreak(making it slower than kensei/raider).

Also fun warden fact: Once you start mixing shoulder bash into your strings and people dodge to left/right as its somewhat obvious, do keep in mind one of the properties of a guardbreak is complete tracking. So if they dodge in any direction but immediately away from you, your shoulder canceled into guardbreak will catch.

*Except for Shugoki/lawbringer/valkyrie, maybe? Have no idea on their moves.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 10, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

doh looks like 1v1 matching currently busted on ps4 :(

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hornbuckle and Blaze from mk2 RETURN

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

ahhh I am getting salty because I am now in the "I TECHED THAT" phase. Everytime I think I am 100% sure what the guard break tech window is, I apparently am wrong, and you can't afford to miss a guardbreak tech against the peacekeeper army out there because that poo poo takes like 1/3rd of your life.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Also hot reminder: Remember to turn on toggle lock so you don't constantly have to hold on to your lockon while fighting. It should be that way by default but it isn't so :shrug:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

So I just executed someone and mid execution, the game suddenly swapped our positions and I got executed instead :psyduck:

Turnabout is fair play!!

Earlier I had a grappled with the raider grab, and he just sorta fell out and landed while I kept running :shrug:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ok now that's pretty dope. Now I am gonna have to spend some time thinking up emblems.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Zzulu posted:

What am I doing wrong with the peacekeeper? I'll guardbreak someone, stab them ONCE and then that's it

How do I get my full 3 stabs in?

The tutorial says I have to "time the stabs right" but I don't know what that means. Time it to what

You need to press the button to stab again after the first stab completes in full(then once again for the second stab). It's one of those things where once you get the timing you basically won't botch it ever again.

As an aside I also did up a little walkthrough guide for the Kensei:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJqT9JEvQvU

If you've already been playing the class for a bit probably not going to teach you anything you don't already know but for people who haven't played him yet maybe it will help you out.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

fadam posted:

I know its early so its all bullshit, but what's everyone's top/bottom three?

Right now I have Orochi, Peace Keeper and Nobushi as the best and Kensei, Raider and Conqueror as the worst.

All subject to change and in my opinion but(and this is strictly for 1v1, unknown about team games):

Warden and Peacekeeper seem to have an edge on everyone else, and berserker just seems like crap compared to the peacekeeper while fufilling the same assassin role. Everyone else in the middle.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

I can land the guard counter everytime in the practice mode but against a player it barely ever works, even when I know its coming. Its getting frustrating because I have no clue what I'm doing wrong.

Just the timing is very precise. Practicing it against the dummy who has the same rhythm is different than doing it against a player who mixes things up and is unpredictable.

That said do keep in mind there is a visual timer as to when to parry. When the indicator turns red, when your parry window is active it will then start flashing red very briefly on top of that.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I will say the most frustrating class for me to fight is the Orochi. I don't think its the strongest(as I think thats warden/peacekeeper) but their loving sidestep dodge attack is flustering to say the best as its a bit too good at what it does. Hard to block on reaction(let alone parry), can't use guard break to get around it because its an attack, and worst of all is when you are playing a slower class even when you call the direction of the dodge and do a side heavy attack in that direction, it can still miss a fair portion of the time :argh:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Bah to that too old for competitive games

When you get old is when you are just starting to get good :getin:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Captain Oblivious posted:

I wouldn't.

This game is about the multiplayer, and it sure as poo poo isn't about history in any way.

uhh I remember when Harald hardrada attacked Nobunagas castle in japan and Joan of arc was waiting in hiding.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm probably the only person really excited to play the Shoguki.

I just wanna be a fat man hitting people with a big club.

Its the class I am looking forward to the most by a long margin. Between this and last beta I just wanna loving play him already :argh:

To keep productive I did up another vid guide on the nobushi this time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZMfMrV3Bvk

As last one, if you already put time into the class not really gonna teach you anything you don't know(probably) but should be decent if you just learning/haven't really played the class yet.

*ed*

^^^^^
Lawbringer looks loving dope.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 12, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Panzeh posted:

The game really needs to give you a better indication of when someone's coming up from behind to tackle or chop you because you have no way of looking around without losing your blocking. I can wreck people in 4v4 but when I have to deal with getting absolutely destroyed from behind because I have no blocking that way, i'm not really sure what to do about it. When you're actually in the thick of it with two people you can kinda work it and the game tries to give you a break with revenge mode(which should not be available in 2v2 or 1v1), still results in a lot of frustration.

Look at your minimap, its there for a reason.

Also keep in mind to block people who you are not locked on to you don't need to actively guard them. If you locked on to one dude, and another dude to your right just leave your guard resting on the right and it will autoblock every single move the other guy makes. Only change your block to actively block the guy you are facing when the attack comes.

For me against most people in 2v1's its basically a free win as the intruding party just mindlessly attacks and gives me free revenge, the smarter thing to do if you are coming in on a fight in progress is to be doing guardbreaks and other stuff as to not fill their revenge bar.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

:stare:

Uh that's a pretty good trick.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Captain Beans posted:

How is it even possible to generate enough meter in a 1v1 to get revenge?

I've purposely tried to do it and never even got close even in testing custom match 1v1 with a friend.

Gotten it twice

first time no loving idea honestly. Second time foe got it by me botching a death from above attack so I am assuming surviving the fall to the 2nd level gives a decent bonus to revenge.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Captain Oblivious posted:

Just seems to be an outcome of who's playing in what time zones.

Last night the Samurai were kicking the living hell out of everyone.

When NA goes to bed EU takes over, and I think its a fairly safe assumption Knights are most popular there.

At least going by that faction war website thing I saw through facebook, Canada is almost all Viking :black101:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Mercedes posted:

I'm having For Honor withdrawals. Anyone else having For Honor withdrawals? Is there a meeting with coffee and cookies I can go to?

I actually am, spending this time youtubing videos about samurai and vikings. Turns out these guys existed outside of videogames!!

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

panda clue posted:

so he got trolled in a fighting game by someone better than him and made an inflammatory video complaining about it?

Dudes offense was completely uninspired outside of the odd feint into grab attempt. I watched the whole thing and then he actually starts getting the orochi's zone attack working as every class has one attack that is effectively unseeable(with high stam cost) ahead of time unless you hard read it, then dude just leaves his guard resting on the side the zone attack hits and it gets blocked and hes like "oh doesn't work either".

babby complain is moral of story.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

My friends Shugoki and Valkyrie, what mysteries do you hold, why do I have to wait another day to find out :f5:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Alkydere posted:

Damnit, want to play this now. Didn't realize you could use your zone attack just in 1-on-1 fights to gently caress with people.

Zone attacks are really really good in duels as they usually got something going for it big time. Like for the Warden and the Warlord they are ultra fast effectively unseeable attacks. Raider has the famous unblockable, Kensei is a giant fuckoff armoured aoe move which is fantastic against the faster classes as they just have to hold still while its happening and so on.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Dang valkyrie moveset looks cool shugoki insta kill is cool I just wanna freaking play again :f5:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Anddd thats why I play console.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

FunkMonkey posted:

The best I can say is that Lawbringer embodies "slow and steady wins the race." It is not an aggressive attacker, and playing it that way is problematic. I've already won a few matches just by countering and slowly chipping away with quick burst combos punctuated by shoves to maintain distance/control. I know that's not exciting for most people, but it's been working decently for me so far. It'll take a lot of practice to really get into a good groove for it, though.

So lawbringer is Zangief/Hugo. Slow pace with a lot of bullying people around.

I saw some footage of valkyrie gameplay finally and it made me sad cause it was mashy poo poo and I didn't actually glean anything from it :(

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Songbearer posted:

My 'blem for the full launch:

Given the lack of visibility, I had to step up and make it chunkier as opposed to my beta one:

I think it looks nicer though.

Thats pretty

im art retarded so im prob just gonna put a bunch of sticks together and make it saints row colours :sigh:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

I just beat the campaign and its the richest most well thought out plot ever with a compelling villain whose reasons are well explained.

Yer lucky I like multiplayer For Honor!!!

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Been playing the campaign. It's not totally awful? A bit cliche but better than I expected.

Its not the worst, Appolyon is actually kinda cool just her thought process is never really explained or expounded on. She's some kinda war grandma.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Anyone know if it's possible to change characters mid-campaign? I started up the Viking chapter, but don't really like the lady raider's VO.

Not as far as I know, whoever you pick (very briefly) will show up in the others campaigns as well.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Zzulu posted:

pretty crazy that you mastered the combat system in a day, personally I haven't even mastered one class yet

Yeah anyone who even remotely thinks they have "solved" combat this early on has no idea what they are talking about.

Although speaking of solving combat, time to start counting frame startups for moves cause I am sick and need help.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Tenasscity posted:

This game is p much a fighting game with swords that's better than Soul Caliber. (gently caress pressing a button to block. )

That's like saying you are tired of seeing the same characters and stages in one of those.

Man ryu vs ken again?? I mean its good for 25 years and all but i duno 1v1 just not much going on ya know!!??

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Ok I am tired out of my mind which may be effecting this, but for the Valkyrie the shield tackle cancel it says you can hit r1 to cancel it into that leaping brad pitt troy strike, or square to guardbreak cancel it and I just can't get it working for the life of me for either of them.

*ed*

course as I write it i figure one part of it out, so has to be shield tackle full charge to cancel into leaping spear, but still can't figure out the guard break portion.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 15, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Grahh I love everything about the valkyrie but the damage ouput is so low, shes so stam hungry on everything :argh:

*ed*

There play raider again back in my safe space where everything works, and everyone rushes in after you purposely whiff heavy attack and go right into unblockable :getin:

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Feb 16, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Dreylad posted:

Any tips on the timing of the shield tackle to guard break? The Pouncing Thrust is easy to cancel in to but I'm having trouble with the other.

For valk, I literally can't do it maybe its bugged?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Darkmoon2k posted:

Was this spreadsheet posted?

Anyway, it's some damage numbers for all the classes. My precious Valkyrie's damage is stupidly low, as we thought.

Actually was just about to post that. Looks like valk is just lowest damage in the game overall, on top of having the low health pool of the assassins.

1500 posted:

it is not bugged, I have done it. in game sorry will fill in

You have to hold GB for a sec and then click it fast again.

I still have no idea on the timing, I am doing what you say and still nothing. Gotta keep at it I guess.

Evil Canadian fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Feb 16, 2017

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

1500 posted:

So you can hold that stance before letting it go, so wait a sec in that stance then release and push GB again fast. All that happens is it knocks them down.

There will be an odd animation stutter, letting you know it worked.

Oh that's not what we were talking about. In the movelist it says you can cancel that knockdown into a guardbreak and that's what we are having trouble with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Dreylad posted:

Oh cool you can Shield Tackle into Spear Sweep if you really want to burn your stamina.

Yeah between valk and nobushi the two "toolbox" characters, off 'bushis unblockable you get guaranteed bleed setup(which then triggers their passive) and you get a whopping guaranteed top heavy off their guardbreak to boot. Despite them both having a zillion options valk seems a bit more in the poor house. So far the big gameplan I have with valk is "before I do this, do I have full stamina?" to get anything real.