Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Raptors are going to get swept in the Conference Finals again and be terrible for the first month because of injuries but BASKETBALL IS BACK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I mean, for years of being abjectly terrible, they maybe - maybe - have 1 star if everything breaks (or doesn't break) right in Embiid, a solid if unspectacular Saric and one of Noel or Okafor who are both deeply flawed.

I agree with the idea behind the Process, but I don't think it's unfair to say that it hasn't exactly produced incredible results.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Jota posted:

Ben Simmons RIP

I tried to only focus on people who have actually played!

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Obviously nobody is too worried because of the play of 2016-2017 National Basketball Association Most Valuable Player winner DeMar DeRozan, but DeMarre Carroll looks straight-up cooked.

Forget the laughable finishing at the rim or the disappearance of his 3-point shot; the dude cannot play defense anymore, period. He can't stay in front of anyone, is constantly getting back-cut, and whether it's the lingering knee injury or permanent damage I am glad to see Dwane Casey bench him in favour of Ross and Powell.

One day the Raptors will have a versatile wing defender that can knock down open shots. That day is not today, and we still have two more years of this.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

milk milk lemonade posted:

Was Carrol really ever any good? I'm asking honestly, he always seems to be getting owned when I watch him play.

There were definitely arguments to be had over how much of his success in Atlanta was system versus ability and the Raptors have tried to get him to expand his offensive game which I think was a mistake from the start, but his defense was always good and he has had decent to good 3PT% in regular minutes.

Now his shot looks mechanically busted and he can't play a lick of D against even average players. It's bad.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Home is where 32 wins are.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
As a Raptors fan I'm as cautiously optimistic as anyone else, but DeRozan looks to have genuinely tweaked the details of his game and there are other factors as well; the staff/players are working hard to make sure he gets to the spots on the floor he's murderous from, some the supporting cast like Ross are taking some of the heat off of him by being threats themselves, and Casey is finally staggering DeRozan & Lowry's minutes to ensure one of them is on the floor at all times so DeMar gets to roast opposing bench players more often.

Do I think he will average 34PPG on 52% shooting for the season? I do not. But I think it'll be closer to 30 than 25, and I think it'll be closer to 50% than 45%.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

BWV posted:

As a Raptors fan I am fatalistically pessimistic and certain this is a long con by the cosmos to get me super excited about the team's chances as a contender only to see them lose in the first round when Demar shoots 20% on 30 FGA.

That said, it's real fun to watch so I'm just going to go with it.

Don't get excited until Kyle Lowry can hit a 3.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

MourningView posted:

The season is like a month old maybe give it a bit before assuming that Wiggins is actually a good outside shooter now

No, DeMar DeRozan is an MVP candidate, Andrew Wiggins is taking The Leap, the Boston Celtics are poo poo, and Joel Embiid would be the best player in the world if he could only play 36 mpg.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
No they won't.

This is the Giant Inflatable Raptor God's punishment for hubris. Second best team in the East? Not on GIRG's watch.

https://twitter.com/TAMacKenzie/status/791435014638538753

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Watching Phil Jackson's career arc from being heralded as a basketball sage to dismissed and disgraced old white man ranting and raving about orthodoxy has been one of the delights of my life as a fan of the NBA.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Speaking of LaVine and Anthony Randolph a couple pages back: it always amazes me when we can clearly see who the best athletes in the NBA are. Like, basketball players are the top 1 percent of the top 1 percent of human beings when it comes to athleticism and THEN there's a top 1 percent of THOSE guys.

Who are some of the best athletes (not players or skilled individuals, just strictly athletes) of the last 20 years or so? Off the top of my head I can think of Vince, LaVine, Aaron Gordon, Gerald Green.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I have decided that the Raptors will be trading for Cousins and the package will be Valanciunas, Powell, Wright, Poeltl, Clippers 2017 first, Raptors 2017 and 2019 firsts for Boogie and whatever flotsam.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I avoided posting last night because I was so mad but I'm STILL MAD.

How - HOW - can referees go back and decide that in an alternate reality where everything happens the same except the clock is magically different that it wouldn't matter? Should Terrence Ross have known that the Kings' clock person was terrible at their job and adjusted his play accordingly on the fly? The clock DID start before the ball got to Ross anyway, so even the NBA Officials' travesty of an explanation is fatally flawed.

You can't review a play and retroactively assign fouls, travels, etc so how can you go back and arbitrarily decide temporal reality after the play has happened?

I hope Casey/Ujiri file a protest. I have no illusions that they'll win because the NBA is not going to admit they were wrong, and even if they did it's not like they're going to fly out to Sacramento and play the last 2.4 (SHOULD HAVE BEEN 3.4) seconds of a game.

Clocks start late literally all the time, especially when there's home cooking. How can the Toronto Raptors lose a game because of a Sacramento Kings employee's error?

I
HAVE
GRIEVANCES

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

attackmole posted:

I'd like to thank the Blazers bench for making me feel less bad about Terrence Ross's contract.

You should not feel bad about Terrence Ross's contract. Terrence Ross's contract is Very Good.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Sacramento should trade Rudy Gay because every team that trades Rudy Gay gets better immediately and makes the playoffs against all odds.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
At least we can all agree that macarons are well-marketed and pretty-looking trash

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Macarons - the terrible French crumbly tasteless poo poo sandwiches - are the Jeff Green of foods.

They look great so they must be great, right? They just need the right situation! Wait, why are they still loving terrible in all these colours and flavour combinations? But just imagine if macarons could defend across three positions, play a slashing game and shoot threes?

THEY CANT THEY ARE JUST BAD STOP SPENDING MILLIONS OF DOLLARS AND TRADING FIRST ROUND PICKS FOR MACARONS

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Well the Heat's season is over, so

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Dana Barros was never a bad player or anything but his one outlier All-Star year where he shot like 45% from three on 5 attempts a game was so weird.

(second best outlier season in NBA history to Mike James' lone year as a Raptor)

roundmidnight fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Dec 5, 2016

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Speaking of Rose, the Knicks announcers were saying how Rose said he thinks he can be better than his MVP season, that he used to play "too fast" and now he feels like he is much smarter. It made me laugh and feel good to know that deep down he knows he's terrible now and it's never coming back.

(Derrick Rose is a rapist)

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Masai, just trade the farm for Millsap or Cousins or whoever. Mortgage the entire future, trade all the young guys, leave the draft barren for a half-decade. I just want to try to have even a 25% chance at beating the Cavs.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Bebe has good pick and roll instincts and can move quickly for a dude his size so he's a decent man defender but his help defense is really bad. He has no offensive game to speak of aside from garbageman type stuff but he has decent touch around the basket and surprisingly good chemistry with Lowry. He's basically a rookie big man, so you can't judge him yet.

However he's also one of the nicest and most honest human beings ever so he is completely unhateable even when he does something stupid on the court.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Coming soon to a poster in a high school guidance counselor's office near you.

(c) 2016 Me7o: The World's First Digital Athlete

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Melo is a probably part of the reason why Porzingis is as successful as he is right now, though.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
The Celtics are poo poo, all hail Norman Powell, Kyle Lowry is the best guard in the East.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Metapod posted:

I can't wait till the boogie wall super duo

Yeah that pairing would win a solid 45 games

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Tae posted:

in what conference

good point

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Terrence Ross is all the flexibility off the bench you need, baby.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
I like reasonable player assessments and all but honestly if you say people are "inexplicably" excited about Myles Turner and comparing him to Bobby Portis maybe you need a nap.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Doltos posted:

Thank you! Guy looks so stiff in the post and on pick and rolls. He's got an ok shot but he's nothing compared to KAT or Zingis right now

Guy Not as Good as Generational Players, Guy is Bad

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Dirk isn't leaving Dallas barring some kind of catastrophe. He'll either retire or play out the contract. Even if the Mavs want to tank, they can do it by managing Dirk's minutes and resting him (and, honestly, he's probably not good enough anymore to significantly affect the outcome of a season anymore)

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Honestly if this leads to more [TEAM X] cut [PLAYER Y] and now he's killing it on [TEAM Z] situations, I'm all for it.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Not playing Noel is the Most Stupid thing you could do, because he's going to be gone for like a second rounder. I'd be pissed if I was him, too, being a contract year and all, but it's the NBA so SOMEBODY is gonna give him $60m.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
The reason why Steph Curry is shook is because Kyle Lowry stole all his skill, FYI

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Kemba is actually probably the best PG in the east this season but he only started being the best this very season and it's fan voting and he plays on Charlotte so he might get in on coach vote but not fan vote probably

Kemba Walker is not better than Kyle Lowry.

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Lockback posted:

What wonderful things we used to think in our youth. Davis is right around 28/11/2.5.

This is so loving dark, my God, what a find.

(Hornets posters, give me some ideas)

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

Whoops! Pelicans!

I'll check that out for sure!

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010
Time to trade the loving farm Masai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roundmidnight
Jul 9, 2010

STILL BETTER THAN WHATEVER TEAM YOU WORK FOR

(dealwithitdemarderozansunglasseswhileclankingajumper.gif)

• Locked thread