Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

EvanTH posted:

https://theringer.com/lebron-is-still-painting-his-masterpiece-bdad85037eb0

I could sorta agree that The Block is kind of his first really truly Iconic single moment. Something that'll get replayed for decades. Ray Allen's shot was the biggest moment from his previous finals wins

LBJ has had many signature moments. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ4GA3GB3Wk

The most common signature LBJ moment is him sitting on the sidelines at the ASG with a reporter asking him if he'll do the dunk contest next year. It happens every year.

:lol:

tanglewood1420 posted:

When will whoever it was that ran the preseason survey (sorry, can't remember which wonderful poster it was) release the results?

Hopefully within two weeks. Poll is now closed. 107 total responses so that was good and most ever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The Panthers went 15-1 and swept through the NFC but now have the 2nd worst record in the league, and the NFC itself hasn't had a lot of continuity as far as the front runners. The best odds any team got before the season was 8:1. The best odds for any NHL team this year were 9:1. Going into last year's playoffs, the best odds any team got were 7:1. The best teams in MLB flip frequently and the playoffs are always a total crapshoot. The best odds any team got before the season were 10:1.

A team going 15-1 one season and then starting a season 1-5 is not parity. That's chaos and unpredictability. Parity, by definition, means teams having the same amount of talent and teams having a 50/50 shot to win a game AKA teams all hovering around 8-8, 7-9, 9-7 records in the NFL. This just doesn't happen. The NBA playoff teams are very hard to predict as well going into the season. In three years and over 200 tries here nobody has guessed the eight east playoff teams correctly.

Continuity, predictability and parity are different things. There is confusion here because I have seen articles conflate the three as if each team getting a turn in the playoffs proves equality. Some articles I've read equate parity with fairness and fairness with whatever arbitrary/superficial idea pops into the sportswriters head as being fair. e.g. the NBA has had six different champions in the last seven seasons. That is not parity.

Flip a coin sixteen times and see how often you go 15-1.

You are correct that the MLB playoffs are a crapshoot (not parity) and that's due to the nature of the game more than teams having an equal level of talent. The MLB is insane as it's not uncommon for the team with the best run differential and/or SRS to miss the playoffs entirely.

2014 Oakland A's had the highest run differential and SRS and missed the MLB playoffs. Imagine GSW missing the playoffs last year because they lost a ton of games by one point. That's what happens in baseball.

The nature of baseball/football make actual performance more unhinged from wins and losses compared to basketball/hockey. I looked at the colleration between MOV and wins in the big four sports in some seasons over the last twenty years. They were hovering around these averages in each season I checked:

NBA .97
NHL .95
MLB .92
NFL .91

The NBA has had near perfect correlation some years. .9 is good but it definitely leaves room for a great NFL/MLB team to be unlucky and open the door for a weak team. Creating a false sense of parity.

The spirit of Byron Scott lives on.

Sharparoni posted:

The NBA is a cool league, my dudes, and even though the Warriors are going to go 96-0, we can all still enjoy random Jazz-Hornets games, probably. Please enjoy the Timberwolves

You mean 98-0.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ghost Dog posted:

an mvp in his prime joining a historically good team has almost certainly never happened in any major american sport? i can't think of anything in basketball or football but maybe im wrong. i dont know what the nba could do to prevent it but it seems less routine than you are making it out to be

We're in uncharted waters as KD to the 2017 Warriors is like putting David Robinson or Shaq on the 1997 Bulls but these are close:

-1982 76ers lost in the finals and then Moses Malone joined the team.

-1970 Bucks with a dominant KAJ gets Oscar Robertson the next year.

-1968 Lakers lost in the finals and then Wilt Chamberlain joined the team.

Doing this to Dan Gilbert over and over:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4FO-M6XxSc

tanglewood1420 posted:

This time last year people were talking up New Orleans as a possible four or five seed, Davis as an outside MVP candidate and how he's going to win multiple MVPs and be the face of the league for the next decade. And now it's like he's all of a sudden an afterthought.

His lack of the 3P shot is going to hurt going forward.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

straight up brolic posted:

The problem is that Jordan's shot over Russell is literally the only truly "iconic" moment in NBA history. Everything else pales in comparison including this block which was amazing and incredible

Bird and Havlicek famously stole balls for Boston in the playoffs. Or are you writing those off as undue Boston homerism?

Ghost Dog posted:

durant joining the warriors doesnt make then any more of a superteam it just made their competition worse. imagine being a player as good as durant and your major contribution to the team you are on is that you arent on another team jfc

Durant joining does make them more powerful. Replacing Harrison Barnes with Durant is big. Curry, Klay and Durant can decide between themselves some games to cruise more and take the night off. This will allow them to retain stamina.

I know a lot thought I was joking about championship hunger but it's a real thing and Durant has been accruing it.

Tae posted:

Why watch, I heard it's already over

If the GSW don't win in 2017 I fear for what big signing they pull off during the summer.

Metapod posted:

When will you start releasing the poll results

Hopefully within two weeks.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Should be 97-1 at that point

Congratulations to GSW finishing 97-5 on the season.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Link me to the poll again I have to take it please

Rick posted:

Zogo can I change my vote for rookie PER leader to Jamal Murray?

The poll is officially set in stone now that the season has started.

straight up brolic posted:

I just really don't think it occupy's the same real estate in people's mind that Jordan's shot does. This is not me saying "nothing incredible" ever happened, it's just that nothing will ever be as iconic in the media and our minds as the Jordan shot. It's what I imagine most people reflexively think about when they hear the words clutch gene. It is omnipresent. Every other legendary play requires some kind of prompting, it's not the platonic ideal of the game itself.

Definitely seems like a generational/era thing.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

:wtf: Warriors. They didn't lose a home game until April last season. Congratulations to the Spurs 2017 champions. :rip: Warriors.

Fire Mike Brown into the sun. KD must need more hunger.

I am feeling good about picking Kawhi to lead in WS this year.

Dejan Bimble posted:

When I say this I don't want to sound like I'm having an insight, but I do think that's why people like the NFL. The general randomness makes it a good TV show, like a soap opera where characters randomly are killed off or revealed to be twins, things just happen, the ball is a silly shape, there are a ton of guys who are allowed to slam into each other but only from some directions and hold but only at certain points, it's really an absurd accretion of rules that leads to wild variance

With the NFL the scale is much larger and that appeals to some too.

A lot of peoples favorite sports are what they grew up watching due to friends/relatives. And also it's reinforced a lot if the local team is elite. I know I wouldn't have watched nearly as much 1990s basketball if the Bulls were trash.

Niwrad posted:

So things haven't changed.

Derrick Rose has sucked for years now. He comes in to the season out of shape, never learns the actual offense, and constantly tells people he's still elite and everything is going to fall into place at any moment. His first few years here were a blast but I'm so glad he's gone.

17 points on 17 shots and 2 FTAs. Vintage Rose.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

RaySmuckles posted:

nah, he can stay retired. the man is a legend. a god. but retirement is the best thing for him and the team.

He could come back to pass Stockton in career WS.

Henchman of Santa posted:

lol the Sixers AND the Lakers are both on national TV tonight.

Somebody is trying to accelerate the death of traditional TV.

Jack's Flow posted:

Yeah, I hope people did not expect them to start 20-0 or whatever.

Of course they did.

Time to watch Jazz-Blazers.

I wanted a 35-0 start.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

-No NBA/ABA champion has opened the season with a 29 point loss.

-Kawhi accrued .4 WS last night. .4 is Rose's WS total for all of last season.

-Durant's regular season 20+ point streak continues:

code:
Player 			First 		Last 		Games
Wilt Chamberlain	1961-10-19	1963-01-19	126
Wilt Chamberlain	1963-02-26	1964-03-18	92
Oscar Robertson		1963-03-13	1964-10-20	82
Connie Hawkins		1967-12-31	1969-03-14	76
Michael Jordan		1987-12-29	1988-12-06	72
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1971-11-21	1972-11-08	71
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1970-02-06	1971-01-20	70
Michael Jordan		1990-11-24	1991-04-19	69
Kevin Durant		2015-11-23	2016-10-25	65
More than halfway to Wilt's record.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 26, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Brow put up 50/16/5 with 7 steals and 4 blocks. Mother of god.

Of course they lost because their starting point guard is Tim Frazier but whatever

46.5 GmSc on opening night is good. Only 1990 Jordan with a 51.2 has done higher (since 1984).

R.D. Mangles posted:

it will be funny to me if they still can't beat this lovely-rear end dyfunctional bulls team

Bulls 8-0 in last two seasons against them. :hfive:

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

There's no way he can know all that at this point. He's bluffing.

Niwrad posted:

I'm pretty pumped that I got to watch the Cubs win a WS game tonight and get to see the 3 alphas in person tomorrow night. Truly a great time to be a Chicago fan.

-Durant joining the Warriors.
-Cubs winning a WS game.
-Embiid playing an NBA game.

Going by this trajectory...

-Trump wins in a few weeks and has HRC arrested live on TV.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

It wasn't that long ago that players were allowed to jump into the stands, attack fans and then go back into the game like nothing happened. If RW did that now he'd be sued and suspended for the year.

Tae posted:

Butler, Wade, Rondo, and MCW combined for 10/15 3-point shooting

(Also they out-rebounded the Celtics 55-36)

Bulls Alpha quadrumvirate with a historic debut. 81 more games of this!

a new study bible! posted:

Yeah Philly isn't and won't be good for years still. It's also a pretty damning statement on the game that the only way to contend for a title is to at least win a superstar in the lottery.

NBA is still cool though.

Lakers are not subject to that general rule.

Why is that damning?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Papercut posted:

It was and his strategy was perfectly legitimate. Philly has a much better chance of being a top-4 seed in the next few years than bad teams who chased mediocre trade and free agency targets and are still just bad, like Sacramento or Phoenix.

The Kings and Suns play in a tougher conference but even if they were moved to the East I'm not seeing any strong evidence of them jumping to the top of the conference.

All this 76ers hype is insane now that Embiid has played (and lost) one game. Let's not forget they had a -10 SRS last year. It'll be hard for any players to turn that around quickly.

a new study bible! posted:

The NBA has always been that way though so it doesn't matter unless they created a cool system for distributing draft picks. Give the championship winner pick 30, the worst team in the league pick 29, the championship runner up pick 28, second worse 27, and so on.

Some sort of bell curve model where the teams that are right on the cusp of the playoffs get the best picks would be cool and rad. It would also force the worst teams to get better in free agency before they could start getting decent picks. Maybe that would kill all the small market teams, but it wouldn't be different from how it currently is.

That will consign the worst NBA teams to be awful for eternity and assure no FAs will want to sign there either.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Here are some of the results from the 107 voters. I should post more results within the next two weeks.

code:
Which team finishes with the best record?

Votes	Percentage
Warriors	95	88.8%
Spurs 		8	7.5%
Cavaliers	3	2.8%
Celtics		1	0.9%

Which team finishes with the worst record?

Votes	Percentage
Nets		48	45.0%
76ers		25	23.4%
Lakers		12	11.2%
Heat		6	5.6%
Suns		6	5.6%
Kings		5	4.7%
Bulls		1	0.9%
Magic		1	0.9%
Thunder		1	0.9%
Timberwolves	1	0.9%
Wizards		1	0.9%

Which team will have the largest win swing this season?

Votes	Percentage
Timberwolves	47	44.0%
76ers		16	15.0%
Jazz		9	8.4%
Knicks		8	7.5%
Pelicans	8	7.5%
Lakers		3	2.8%
Rockets		3	2.8%
Bucks		2	1.9%
Celtics		1	0.9%
Clippers	1	0.9%
Grizzlies	1	0.9%
Hornets		1	0.9%
Kings		1	0.9%
Magic		1	0.9%
Nuggets		1	0.9%
Pacers		1	0.9%
Pistons		1	0.9%
Thunder		1	0.9%
Trail Blazers	1	0.9%

Which team will have the largest loss swing this season?

Votes	Percentage

Heat		45	42.1%
Thunder		27	25.2%
Hawks		5	4.7%
Spurs		5	4.7%
Bulls		3	2.8%
Grizzlies	3	2.8%
Warriors	3	2.8%
Mavericks	2	1.9%
Pacers		2	1.9%
Raptors		2	1.9%
Trail Blazers	2	1.9%
76ers		1	0.9%
Bucks		1	0.9%
Celtics		1	0.9%
Jazz		1	0.9%
Knicks		1	0.9%
Magic		1	0.9%
Pelicans	1	0.9%
Wizards		1	0.9%

LeBron James will play in the 2017 NBA finals (seven consecutive seasons):

Votes	Percentage
Agree		98	91.6%  (exact same % as last year)
Disagree	9	8.4%

Stephen Curry will win the 2017 Kia MVP award (three consecutive seasons):

Votes	Percentage
Agree		7	6.5%
Disagree	100	93.5%

Joel Embiid will log at least 1,500 minutes this season:

Votes	Percentage
Agree		69	64.5%
Disagree	38	35.5%

The Warriors will win 70 or more games this season:

Votes	Percentage
Agree		21	19.6%
Disagree	86	80.4%

Dexo posted:

KD has reached a new never before seen level of shookness. And it's only game one :laffo:

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/791858809249509376

code:
Kevin Durant is shook:

Votes	Percentage
Agree		  107	100%
Disagree	    0   0%

Zogo fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Oct 28, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The rare 50+ point triple double:

code:
Player			Date	PTS/REB/AST
Elgin Baylor 	    12/13/61	52/25/10
Richie Guerin 	     2/25/62 	50/11/13
Elgin Baylor        12/15/62 	50/15/11
Wilt Chamberlain     2/13/63 	51/29/11
Wilt Chamberlain     3/18/68 	53/32/14
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar  1/19/75 	50/15/11
Russell Westbrook   10/28/16 	51/13/10

Niwrad posted:

Does KD think people are giving him poo poo for not working hard enough? I thought it was for being a bitch and joining the team that beat him in the playoffs.

If he reads everything then he's got hundreds of faults that the Internet says he must fix ASAP.

GmSc of 39.7+ in back to back games. Only Michael Jordan, David Robinson, Charles Barkley and Antawn Jamison have done that since 1984.

Lockback posted:

I would way rather be in the 76ers shoes than the Suns, probably more than Orlando.

Charlotte looks like they'll be a decent enough playoff team but probably never a contender

so it depends on how you'd value that.

"Probably never a contender" does cover 85-90% of teams in a given year. Even if we open it up to a five or ten year interval going forward/backward it still covers the vast majority of the league.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tae posted:

McDermit lead the Bulls in minutes at 27.

I suspected the Pacers were gonna be bad at defense, I didn't expect them to be that bad.

The Bulls were supposed to be trash. Now they're trying to start the season 3-0 for the first time since 1997.

Strawberry Panda posted:

Is McBuckets an Alpha?

It's looking that way.

Please Eat A Vegetable posted:

At the 3 alphas game, watching the Cubs game.
Woop woop!

I want to see Dwyane Wade hit a HR for the Cubs.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Strawberry Panda posted:

What's Buddy Hield's chuck status?

#4 chucker in the whole league. Trailing only Langston Galloway, Dario Saric and Jeff Teague.

So far Damian Lillard, DeMarcus Cousins, Kawhi Leonard and Anthony Davis are the elite scorers.

Kawhi is 28/28 through three games from the FT line. Since 1964 only two have started better:

code:
Player		Season	FT	FTA
Kiki Vandeweghe	1984-85	31	31
Kevin Martin	2010-11	30	30
Kawhi Leonard	2016-17	28	28

Spacebump posted:

Today I learned this crazy guy still makes videos.
This is his reaction the Rockets loss.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22GlEPlbv3I

I'd watch ESPN more if it was like this.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Bird had a few seasons that were comparable and played much better defense than either one.

If you put 2016 Curry and his shooting into the 1980s NBA his team might go 80-2 and sportscasters, gov't agencies would be saying he was an alien or a USSR biogenetic experiment that escaped the lab.

milk milk lemonade posted:

Curry had an excellent season and is an amazing player. my point (not joking in the slightest) is that Irving had a better series than Curry by every metric.

There are a ton of metrics. Curry was better in a lot of them than Kyrie.

...I feel like seven games is pretty decisive.

Seven games is not much really. I wouldn't draw serious conclusions from anything less than twenty games.

Playoff series of 1, 3, 5 or 7 games (and 9 many years back) have been the pro sports standard in the US for so long that it's accepted.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Lockback posted:

You absolutely have to not count Wilt in these conversations, otherwise there is no reason to have these conversations.

Wilt had bad FT shooting throughout his whole career. If he had average (or even below average) FT shooting he would've completely broken up the 1960s Celtics dynasty. But he had awful FT shooting so his teams lost a ton of close games with him shooting like DeAndre Jordan.

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Someone (Zogo) estimate what Wilt's PER would've been in his 3 best seasons if they counted blocks and he averaged 8.8 a game for that time period.

There's no good way to do that as there's so many missing pieces to the modern PER formula when applied to the 1960s. Steals, turnovers, ORBs, DRBs are all missing from the individual and league level. The 1960s was the era of statistical inflation as teams were playing at a ridiculous pace as well. If we had exact data a lot of value stats would be deflated.

If we just magically added individual blocks and league blocks to the 1960s it's safe to assume his PER would go up.

PER = (1 / MP) * (3P + (2/3) * AST + (2 - (2/3) - (0.5 * (lg_AST / lg_FG)) / (2 * (lg_FG / lg_FT)) * (team_AST / team_FG)) * FG + (FT * 0.5 * (1 + (1 - (team_AST / team_FG)) + (2/3) * (team_AST / team_FG))) - lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * TOV - lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB * (FGA - FG) - lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * 0.44 * (0.44 + (0.56 * lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB)) * (FTA - FT) + lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * (1 - lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB) * (TRB - ORB) + lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB * ORB + lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * STL + lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA) * lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB * BLK - PF * ((lg_FT / lg_PF) - 0.44 * (lg_FTA / lg_PF) * lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA))) * (lg_Pace / team_Pace) * (15 / lg_aPER)

lg_TOV and lg_ORB is all over the PER formula and we don't have those for the 1960s.

Now if you took a modern day elite player (who already was leading the league in PER) and gave him 700+ blocks in a season his PER would go up ~6-8 points.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

R.D. Mangles posted:

i didn't know that i was waiting all of my life for Stacey King in the Three Alphas Era

You scared a lot of Bulls fans. Bulls first 3-0 season in twenty years. Bulls +53 through three games. Second best start in franchise history.

#wayofwade

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Until someone like Rick Mahorn-esque mofo crushed him into Bolivia. I'm also not sure how well he'd handle the hand checking that he doesn't have to deal with today.

Checking would be relegated to irrelevance when he's launching 3P shots from 25-30 feet out. Nobody in the 1980s was close to doing anything like that.

1989 Seattle and 1988 Boston were the two greatest 3P teams of the entire decade. 2016 Curry was 3x as strong as either of those entire teams from 3P range. In Bird's 1984-86 prime every single team was bad from 3P land.

R.D. Mangles posted:

stacey king just came out against the "three alphas" nickname because it detracts from players like Taj Gibson and Michael Carter-Williams

e: "The Bulls are all alphas"

-Stacey King

He stole my answer.

Name the metrics.

Curry had better numbers in TS%, eFG%, ORB%, DRB%, TRB%, AST%.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bashez posted:

Am I the only one that thinks that the Bulls are going to be okay as long as Wade holds up?

Have there been any big surprises so far? Everything has seemed pretty predictable right down to Derrick Rose giving fans hope he's back before he totally tanks the team.

I have a little faith in the Bulls to improve upon last year. In 43 minutes Bulls new star Isaiah Canaan has reached .4 WS. The same amount that Rose had all of last season.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is chicken/egg. People would stationary check all the time on the perimeter, but that wasn't something that began at 22'-23'. They let poo poo go everywhere after half court.

You're assuming he'd be allowed to get to that range to the same degree that he is today. He'd still be a great shooter, but that signature super side step move doesn't have the same effectiveness when refs allow a defender's hand to grab/push/guide.

You are mythologizing 1980s defense into something it wasn't. It's reminiscent of 1960s guys belittling Jordan in the 1990s like he wouldn't do well back in the 1960s because they'd injure him and play more physically. Yes, Jordan would've struggled in the era where no guards dunked and the elite guards were dribbling using only their dominant hand. I still remember seeing some of these old curmudgeons come on TV talking about how their era was supreme. Back then Youtube wasn't around so many people fell for it. They called MJ a "hotdog" and threatened physical violence against him! Now in 2016 we have Youtube and we know they were lying.

I've seen plenty of 1980s games and think Curry would be fine. We're talking about an era where the average team attempted two 3P shots per game @ 25%. Early 1980s teams didn't even have a concept of 3P shot defense. I've seen footage of "good shooters" of the time standing at the 3P line and the opposing team is giving them a wide open shot every possession. Humorously, the shooter usually didn't even consider taking the shot. The 3P shot was regarded as a major gamble and a vice/bad habit well into the 1990s unlike today's NBA where it's a virtue and some have carte blanche.

When Reggie Miller and other 3P shooters from the 80s and 90s wanted to shoot them they were able to. In game 1 of the 1992 NBA finals Jordan shot 6/9 from 3 and people thought he was a demigod. Completely pedestrian numbers today for some.

Even in the mid-1990s when great 3P guys were emerging the average transition D was mediocre. Any time Pippen wanted to take a pull up 3 it was there for him. Curry would be feasting on that on a nightly basis. The D has improved significantly in that area in the last twenty years as back then teams were more into getting offensive rebounds.

Here's Rex Chapman in the vaunted handcheck era against the BEST team of the 1990s and #1 DRtg team that season. Launching threes against two of the best perimeter defenders of the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-4xwcxo9gk

A career night for Chapman and a mere glimpse of what Curry would look like frequently in the 1990s. It'd be even more embarrassing if we put Curry back into the early 1980s when the elite scoring PGs/SGs of the time were putting up these intimidating numbers:

code:
Year	Player		Tm	3P	3PA	3P%
1986	Sidney Moncrief	 MIL	33	103	0.32
1986	Magic Johnson	 LAL	10	43	0.233
1986	Rolando Blackman DAL	4	29	0.138
1985	Michael Jordan	 CHI	9	52	0.173
1985	Magic Johnson	 LAL	7	37	0.189
1985	Derek Smith	 LAC	3	19	0.158
1984	Rolando Blackman DAL	1	11	0.091
1984	Andrew Toney	 PHI	12	38	0.316
1984	Sidney Moncrief	 MIL	5	18	0.278
1984	Magic Johnson	 LAL	6	29	0.207
1983	Sidney Moncrief	 MIL	1	10	0.1
1983	Magic Johnson	 LAL	0	21	0
1983	George Gervin	 SAS	12	33	0.364
1983	Jim Paxson	 POR	4	25	0.16
1982	George Gervin	 SAS	10	36	0.278
1982	Sidney Moncrief	 MIL	1	14	0.071
1982	Magic Johnson	 LAL	6	29	0.207
1981	David Thompson	 DEN	10	39	0.256
1981	Otis Birdsong	 KCK	10	35	0.286
1981	Billy Knight	 IND	3	19	0.158
1981	George Gervin	 SAS	9	35	0.257
1980	George Gervin	 SAS	32	102	0.314
1980	Paul Westphal	 PHO	26	93	0.28
1980	Magic Johnson	 LAL	7	31	0.226
1980	Reggie Theus	 CHI	28	105	0.267
1980	James Silas	 SAS	0	4	0

Total			249	1010	0.246

2016	Curry			402	886	0.454
:eyepop:

PS Guards were generally smaller in the 1980s and 1990s as well.

Pro sports evolution and increasing global competition (without NBA team growth) dictates that today's players are assuredly more skilled and competent than those playing 30+ years back. This primacy is another aspect in Curry's favor. Some might think Bird/McHale or Magic/Kareem would be winning titles today but I'm skeptical. Some may also think modern guys are just soft and not fit to play in the 1980s.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Technology continues to embarrass our NBA stars:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nd-Scottie.html

That's loving incredible. I didn't look at the advanced stats because I didn't think this was possible on a cursory glance of their stats.

Irving had a higher ORTG and lower DRTG though :colbert:

Yea, Kyrie and LBJ easily had higher GmSc's than anyone on the Warriors last year.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

pylb posted:

What happens to the Process nickname when he moves to another team?

'The Transprocess.'

Dexo posted:

Nevermind disregard that I got tricked by Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Mr1738/status/793879017774456832

"Free college tuition for all diaper dandy's!" -Dick Vitale

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Great time to be a Bulls fan. 3-0 Bulls with an SRS of 20 way ahead of the entire league. Jimmy Butler has an ORtg of 150.

Shipping Rose/Noah to NYC and importing Wade was a good idea.

Water_polo_player_shooting_a_medicine_ball_in_an_NBA_game.mp4

RASHIBA WALLACE posted:

So how do we feel about the Cleveland Indians potentially blowing a 3–1 series lead in the finals. Is this karma for LeBron's Halloween party? A sure sign that the Cavs will miss the playoffs this year? Discuss

I'm apathetic on baseball wins/losses.

Wasn't that long ago the Yankees blew a 3-0 lead against Boston.

Declan MacManus posted:

Patty Mills is cool and good though

+71 this year. Leading the entire NBA just ahead of +63 Dewayne Dedmon.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Shear Modulus posted:

Is Kobe's the most "mainstream" jersey you'd see people wearing whereever or would that he Curry or LeBron these days? Or still MJ

I've seen more Curry jerseys in the Chicagoland area than anything else during the last two years.

Curl_like_smoke posted:

I watched the first episode of Any Given Wednesday and it was just Charles Barkley complaining about how weak and watered-down the NBA is and how none of these guys would've been able to compete in his day. I'm sure they thought Barkley would be funny and wacky but instead he was just bitter and angry, which is a really bad way to start off a brand new show. It'd be like starting a political talk show and having the first guest be my dad.

It's a coping mechanism. He'd be less bitter/angry if he won a ring. Now he has to hilariously rationalize that he'd be dominating 2016 NBA with his 25% 3P%.

EvanTH posted:

edit: I love small sample sizes

Tonight the +16 SRS Bulls face the -13 Knicks. #1 vs. #30 rank. Bulls primed for a 30 point win.

Carlosologist posted:

What's the record for most FGA? Russ will get close to that

63 in Wilt's 100 point game.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

pepperchomp posted:

Also is it just me, or is does Reggie Miller have the biggest hard on for Golden State?

Klay/Curry/Durant are three disciples of Reggie Miller's game. He probably wishes he was out there with them.

predicto posted:

:perfect:

someone else on this board is as old as poo poo, not just me hooray

What is it?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Phil is so smart, he understands knick fan psychology perfectly. He satisfied them with fake star power, fake new york grit, and various odds and ends that will make games compelling enough to watch but will ultimately result in a decent pick. He's doing a good job at stealth tanking, he's too smart for it to be anything else.

This seems believable.

IcePhoenix posted:

Also, random question for Zogobot: how common is it for a team to lose three of four games when they had a 15+ point lead at some point in all of them?

I'd guess that's not too common at all.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Ray Allen retired. Top 15 scorer and best 3P shooter of all-time. Curry will probably take title from him in 2018 though. Korver may pass him too eventually.

:barf:

I wanted to see LBJs face during the tenth inning but they didn't show that.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kevin Durant has scored 20+ points in seventy straight games. Not much of a consolation prize if the Warriors continue with trash defense and losing games though.

Gobias Ind. posted:

If the Raptors broadcast is to be believed, Demar DeRozan is the first player to score 30+ in his team's first 5 games since...Michael Jordan :monocle:

Yes, since 1964 these guys have done 30+ in each of the first five.

code:
Player 		Season 	
Oscar Robertson 1965-66	
Rick Barry	1966-67	
Tiny Archibald  1972-73	
Marques Johnson	1978-79	
Adrian Dantley	1980-81	
Michael Jordan	1986-87	
Demar DeRozan	2016-17
These guys did 30+ in each of the first six:

code:
Player 		Season 	
Oscar Robertson 1965-66
Marques Johnson	1978-79	
Michael Jordan	1986-87	
Wilt started the 1959-60 and 1962-63 seasons with streaks of 8 straight 30+ games. It's pretty safe to assume that that's the record.

ROFLburger posted:

jesus the new NBA site is a piece of poo poo

All major sports leagues are making their sites so hideous and hard to use so that people might considering turning their TVs on.

Tae posted:

John Wall is resting on back2back games until further notice.

Didn't the league say there's less b2b this year than ever before? So are teams just maximizing their days or something since there's so few?

Lazy millennials or something...

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Marques Johnson seems mostly forgotten. Jordan stole his MJ nickname and 99.9% of people will think of Magic when they see the name "M. Johnson" on a stat sheet.

Props Department posted:

It's really sad that his wife was killed in OKC because they fired him for no good reason. But I guess there's no second guessing these things

Basically yes. Although if we want to be cosmically thorough we have to acknowledge the theoretical possibility of something worse happening if he'd stayed. e.g. Everyday whole vanloads of people are killed by drunk drivers etc.

A lot of people think they know the exact future. Nobody does.

EvanTH posted:

Zogoputer can you bring up the stats on roster continuity from one season to the next and how it seems to affect the performance of the best teams? thank you

I've posted a lot of different RC stats so I'm not sure which ones you mean exactly. Generally, as RC% goes down the WP% goes down as well.

Here's a list of champions and their RC%:

code:
Season	Team	Roster Continuity
2015-16 CLE	84%
2014-15	GSW	80%
2013-14	SAS	83%
2012-13	MIA	82%
2011-12	MIA	79%
2010-11	DAL	79%
2009-10	LAL	87%
2008-09	LAL	95%
2007-08	BOS	50%
2006-07	SAS	84%
2005-06	MIA	49%
2004-05	SAS	76%
2003-04	DET	78%
2002-03	SAS	81%
2001-02	LAL	79%
2000-01	LAL	72%
1999-00	LAL	69%
1998-99	SAS	71%
1997-98	CHI	92%
1996-97	CHI	97%
1995-96	CHI	81%
1994-95	HOU	78%
1993-94	HOU	84%
1992-93	CHI	86%
1991-92	CHI	96%
1990-91	CHI	89%
1989-90	DET	95%
1988-89	DET	92%
1987-88	LAL	96%
1986-87	LAL	86%
1985-86	BOS	80%
1984-85	LAL	98%
1983-84	BOS	85%
1982-83	PHI	66%
1981-82	LAL	83%
1980-81	BOS	79%
1979-80	LAL	61%
1978-79	SEA	79%
1977-78	WSB	75%
1976-77	POR	47%
1975-76	BOS	79%
1974-75	GSW	63%
1973-74	BOS	98%
1972-73	NYK	94%
1971-72	LAL	85%
1970-71	MIL	62%
1969-70	NYK	92%
1968-69	BOS	88%
1967-68	BOS	89%
1966-67	PHI	87%
1965-66	BOS	88%
1964-65	BOS	91%
1963-64	BOS	90%
1962-63	BOS	84%
1961-62	BOS	94%
1960-61	BOS	94%
1959-60	BOS	93%
1958-59	BOS	89%
1957-58	STL	89%
1956-57	BOS	61%
1955-56	PHW	75%
1954-55	SYR	68%
1953-54	MNL	87%
1952-53	MNL	84%

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tae posted:

I just noticed the Rockets are like 17th in pace. Which is....weird? Is that the slowest D'antoni's team has been?

2010 Knicks ranked 8th.

If the Cavaliers win sixteen playoff games then LBJ should win Finals MVP too.

So, I found a quiz on Sporcle about foreign-born players in the NBA. I scrolled down to the comments and I found this. Thought you guys might appreciate it.

http://www.sports-reference.com/blog/2011/12/blessed-kwan-zaa-from-sports-reference/

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tae posted:

So I mentioned that the NBA as a whole are doing conference rematches really soon, and I don't really get it?

I thought they've done this before. I believe the Bulls played the same team closely in the 1990s.

Spacebump posted:

With the state of the Mavs :negative: being what it is, I need to adopt a team (preferably eastern conference.) Normally, I would revert to my #2 team but the Pelicans are also having a difficult season. Somebody sell me on their team with playoff hopes.

Cleveland Cavaliers or if you want disappointment pick one of the other fourteen.

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am extremely bummed that the actually three alphas are good and owning everyone era lasted exactly three games

I wanted a couple months of Bulls pseudo-domination. Three games came and went very quickly.

edit: DeMar DeRozan only scored 23 points. The streak is over.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Nov 7, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Tae posted:

John Wall is the all-time wizards assist leader in his 6th year.

1. Wes Unseld* 3822
2. John Wall 3819
3. Rod Strickland 2712
4. Kevin Porter 2593
5. Kevin Loughery 2363
6. Gilbert Arenas 2046
7. Frank Johnson 1961
8. Michael Adams 1844
9. Darrell Walker 1707
10. Phil Chenier 1688

Which says more about the wizards and passing....

code:
			Turnovers
1. 	John Wall 	1611
2. 	Juwan Howard 	1389
3. 	Gilbert Arenas 	1239
4. 	Jeff Ruland 	1176
5. 	Jeff Malone 	1029
6. 	Rod Strickland 	948
7. 	Bernard King 	941
8. 	Greg Ballard 	935
9. 	Elvin Hayes 	868
10. 	Caron Butler 	829
He's going to be the TOV champion for a long time.

Tae posted:

Curry is bad
Draymond is bad
Thompson is bad
Durant is bad

Literally the only warrior that hasn't been called bad is Ian Clark because no one knows who he is

edit: Here's an argument, how about replacing either an elite 3+D guy and a stretch 4/5 elite defender that passes like a point guard are both very hard to replace

Really all 400+ players aren't that great. I'm confident there will be some 7.5 foot tall guy with LBJs skills, Durant's FT shooting and Curry's 3P shooting within the next fifty years.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

13/17. That's 22 3NP in a single game. Highest ever.

Rest of team went 3/18.

Now that the Mavericks are bad he's reminding me more of his old self.

Spacebump posted:

This picture didn't get enough love.

If Trump wins and the Cavaliers win the 2017 title. A preview of their White House visit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZCzHYMEIeo

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

1995 Dana Barros does have the third best shooting PG season ever. Behind 2015 and 2016 Curry.

euphronius posted:

Rod Strickland is still the best Washington pg ever

Most of the stats point to Gilbert Arenas as #1.

kiimo posted:

Kentucky fans ripped us for a year straight for comparing him to Hakeem.

DO YOU SEE IT NOW ASSHOLES

I'm waiting for a quadruple double.

Libertine posted:

Why are the Pacers so bad? I kind of expected them to be Top 4/5 in the East; however, they have a pretty poo poo record and point differential. Their schedule so far hasn't been insanely difficult either so.

I haven't seen them play yet this season, I'm genuinely curious what the deal is.

They don't have the greatest roster continuity from last year.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Papercut posted:

Lillard has been finishing MUCH better at the rim this year than any previous year. Here's a graphic. Early of course, but it's still been really nice to see.

2015-16

2016-17

He's also currently 3rd in the league in free throw attempts and makes. He's playing his mind out (on offense at least!). It's fun to watch.

Lillard is the #1 scorer this year.

Justise Winslow is the #409 scorer.

EvanTH posted:

"how dare you"

"vote for me I'm better than the other guy"

Leading up to the 1828 election Andrew Jackson was calling John Quincy Adams a "pimp" because he was offering virgins to a visiting Russian czar. Andrew Jackson won.

The US Presidents 1 - 43:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbdFUMToAJo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4C_F3-VbI-E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NokpNOkuSYY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6VQo1YjTOw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GHLdn4Fw70
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH7OqCBYfHQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxDqOH6H4FQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIYvSeVKyCs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hzRZLOQif0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEhlc-P13Jk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FjQvAPgmPA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ta5iLw3q-A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPGu0ORwCjQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjekTEJ6JPM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAqF-cqEbFk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRqtJ1dcQ7o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4w_CRMUY1I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgT9qopK-VU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjw7HTdhrdA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85AgydJebA0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFpD8W8mLNY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0cvGCVHg2w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPewRrReWWc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz53CYwBtPo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyUOWLj05c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2z1svlX9ZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBpfih7w4B8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ePxP6LPun4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLOhByiwdfE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dj83LepYg-4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUkBE-OCHIU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuRsKiruKAE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ccG6PTxh9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3xJXijOpQs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-buCRVmqYvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmjiHY8AULg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzUILIqRNdo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2irhQfv-f0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuvwdT4BMQY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7R7XpH1696Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xISTJMkEd4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPR4YNFR6as
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hGr4BLoMcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyopUOGiv0U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmthG8l3q-s

Papercut posted:

"Talk to my wife, I'm not allowed to talk about politics anymore." gently caress the gently caress off, Tom Brady.

gently caress yes, it's NBA season and and basketball is wonderful.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Durant scored 18 points tonight. That ends his streak of 20+ point games:

code:
Player 			First 		Last 		Games
Wilt Chamberlain	1961-10-19	1963-01-19	126
Wilt Chamberlain	1963-02-26	1964-03-18	92
Oscar Robertson		1963-03-13	1964-10-20	82
Connie Hawkins		1967-12-31	1969-03-14	76
Michael Jordan		1987-12-29	1988-12-06	72
Kevin Durant		2015-11-23	2016-11-09	72
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1971-11-21	1972-11-08	71
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar	1970-02-06	1971-01-20	70
Michael Jordan		1990-11-24	1991-04-19	69
Just two more points and he would've had the longest streak since the 1960s. Shook once again.

Smellyhead posted:

Demar Derozan question, has any guard ever scored this many points in this few games with this few 3 pointers made?
I feel like the fact that he's doing all of this from his "inefficient"mid-range game is the most incredible part of his current run.

Since 1984 only 1987 Michael Jordan has.

Death By The Blues posted:

Also, if I was Lebron, gently caress playing for Cleveland, bring Ohio a championship and they do this? Or well any black athlete playing in a state that voted for Trump.

James Harden, Kawhi Leonard, Anthony Davis please report to Chicago, IL. Russell Westbrook, LeBron James, Dwight Howard please report to Minneapolis, MN.

Bashez posted:

The Clippers look like the absolute best team in the league. I would have considered last year the first year of the trio being in their prime. People don't seem to realize that you'd prefer one guy too old and the other two just right rather than one guy just right and the other two too young. I'm glad they didn't blow it up because last year they didn't get to show who they were. They're there now and I think they can make some noise. I think CP is the best PG ever and this may be the year he can get that ring to get ring groupies to pay attention to how good he actually is.

They're also right in the RC% sweet spot of ~80% with the right amount of new vs. old player minutes.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

humpthewind posted:

Could someone explain RC% please?

Roster continuity is the percentage of regular season minutes played by a teams players who were on the roster the previous season. http://www.basketball-reference.com/friv/continuity.cgi

NBA champions usually are around 80%. As an example these six guys were on the 2015 and 2016 Knicks teams:

code:
2016 Knicks
Player		  MP	MP%
Carmelo Anthony	  2530	0.127745519
Cleanthony Early  154	0.007775814
Jose Calderon	  2024	0.102196415
Lance Thomas	  1313	0.06629639
Langston Galloway 2033	0.102650846
Lou Amundson	  204	0.010300429
Team Total	  19805	
MP / Team Total = MP%
The sum of MP% = roster continuity

So you add the MP% together and their roster continuity = 0.416965413

There is also something called roster stability which IMO is generally more accurate in that it takes into account the percentage of minutes the players played the previous season as well. Roster continuity will consider a guy who played 100 minutes one season and then 1,500 minutes the next season as being the same contribution. Roster stability does not. Usually it's not a big issue as players average minutes don't fluctuate wildly but if you have a couple star players miss significant minutes in one season it can be significant.

code:
Player		MP	MP%
2015 Knicks
Carmelo Anthony	  1428	0.07192143
Cleanthony Early  647	0.03258625
Jose Calderon	  1270	0.063963737
Lance Thomas	  1040	0.052379753
Langston Galloway 1457	0.07338202
Lou Amundson	  858	0.043213296
Team Total	  19855	
So you take the sum of MP% for both years and divide by two: (0.416965413 + 0.337446487) / 2 = roster stability of 0.37720595

In this case roster continuity and roster stability are close. 42% and 38%.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 11, 2016

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

The Warriors are the first team in NBA history to have four different players hit four three-pointers in the same game.

Durant/Curry have a good shot at becoming only the third pair of NBA/ABA teammates to be #1 and #2 in scoring (they're #2 and #3 now):

code:
Player		Pos	NP	Tm
Oscar Robertson	PG	266.52	CIN
Jerry Lucas	PF	206.12	CIN

Player		Pos	NP	Tm
Neil Johnston	C	126.88	PHW
Paul Arizin	SF	52.28	PHW
CIN and PHW were both great offensive teams but had terrible defenses.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think anyone who stayed on the Harrions Barnes will be good bandwagon deserves plaudits. He looked like a loving useless awful player in the last two sets of playoffs.

Hand Knit posted:

Demar's gotta have the best learning tool in recent NBA history. We reached "this is the best he's gonna be" with him like four to five years ago, but he's found a way to get better every year since then.

Writing off young players prematurely is one of the stubborn pastimes of fandom.

It's been done to everyone except the guys who were near MVP-level as rookies (a very short list).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Niwrad posted:

I'm wondering if he'd be better to have than Rondo.

Knicks haven't even gotten to the best part where he milks minor injuries for weeks.

The good thing about Rondo is that he doesn't demand to shoot sixteen times per game. Rondo knows to stop after a certain point.

code:
Date		FG	FGA
10/27/2016	1	9
11/4/2016	2	10
11/9/2016	2	10
11/12/2016	0	6

Niwrad posted:

It has to be Gar not wanting to look bad by admitting he hosed up yet another 1st round pick. It's too bad because I think sending Portis to Hoffman Estates would help.

I guess Grant will hang around the team too since Horace is the assistant GM. Too many roster spots wasted on nepotism and ego.

You'd think they could sign MJs kids.

Metapod posted:

Young teams don't win

They're not super young so I wouldn't be shocked. Although only two people picked them as playoff material in the poll.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

CP3 has started the season so strongly that he's jumped into the #1 WS/48 of all-time slot:

code:
Rank 	Player 			WS/48
1. 	Chris Paul 		.2511
2. 	Michael Jordan 		.2505
3. 	David Robinson 		.2502
4. 	Wilt Chamberlain 	.2480
5. 	Neil Johnston 		.2413
6. 	LeBron James 		.2402
7. 	Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 	.2284
8. 	Magic Johnson	 	.2249
9. 	Charles Barkley 	.2163
10. 	Kevin Durant 		.2148
Curry, Thompson, Durant all scored 29+ points last night. That's not too common.

IcePhoenix posted:

I saw that yesterday and I still want to know where that drat music is from

Gremins 2: The New Batch on the NES:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAbSoFUBsMk

Some of my favorite 8-bit NES music.

Batman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTHHh9EB53A

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEA8cievfUE

The Legend of Zelda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHIQTyBaGhw

That channel has a ton.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Wasn't Antoine Walker actually pretty good?

Pretty good at shooting his teams out of any game. He has a career TS% of 48% which is awful for his era.

He was the worst NBA shooter in 1997 and 2003.

Zogo fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Nov 14, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Batch #2 of the poll:

code:
Name the rookie WS and/or PER leader:

Votes	Percentage
Joel Embiid	     35		33.0%
Brandon Ingram	     22		20.7%
Kris Dunn	     11		10.4%
Ben Simmons	     10		9.4%
Buddy Hield	     7		6.6%
Domantas Sabonis     5		4.7%
Dragan Bender	     4		3.7%
Jaylen Brown	     3		2.8%
Dario Saric	     2		1.8%
Marquese Chriss      1		0.94%
Dejounte Murray      1		0.94%
Jakob Poeltl	     1		0.94%
Denzel Valentine     1		0.94%
Dorian Finney-Smith  1		0.94%
Taurean Prince       1		0.94%
Tyler Ulis	     1		0.94%

Name the overall WS and/or PER leader:

Votes	Percentage
Russell Westbrook    30		28.0%
LeBron James         24		22.4%
Stephen Curry        11		10.3%
Kawhi Leonard	     11		10.3%
Kevin Durant	     10		9.3%
Anthony Davis	     7		6.5%
James Harden	     4		3.7%
Karl-Anthony Towns   4		3.7%
Paul George	     2		1.8%
Kwame Brown	     1		0.94%
Joel Embiid	     1		0.94%
Kyrie Irving	     1		0.94%
Damian Lillard	     1		0.94%

Select the eight Eastern Conference playoff teams:

Votes	Percentage
Cavaliers	106	99.1%
Raptors		106	99.1%
Celtics		105	98.1%
Pistons		96	89.7%
Hawks		87	82.1%
Pacers		81	75.7%
Hornets		68	63.6%
Wizards		64	59.8%
Bulls		45	42.1%
Knicks		30	28.0%
Bucks		29	27.1%
Magic		24	22.4%
Heat		14	13.1%
76ers		1	0.94%
Nets		0	0%

Select the eight Western Conference playoff teams:

Votes	Percentage
Warriors	107	100%
Spurs		105	98.1%
Clippers	104	97.2%
Thunder		90	84.1%
Trail Blazers	84	78.5%
Grizzlies	75	70.1%
Rockets		75	70.1%
Jazz		72	67.3%
Timberwolves	61	57.0%
Mavericks	49	45.8%
Pelicans	26	24.3%
Kings		2	1.87%
Lakers		2	1.87%
Nuggets		2	1.87%
Suns		2	1.87%

Select the ECF loser:

Votes	Percentage
Celtics		65	60.8%
Raptors		20	18.7%
Cavaliers	7	6.5%
Pacers		5	4.7%
Bulls		3	2.8%
Pistons		3	2.8%
76ers		2	1.87%
Bucks		1	0.93%
Hawks		1	0.93%

Select the WCF loser:

Votes	Percentage
Clippers	38	35.5%
Spurs		31	29.0%
Warriors	22	20.6%
Thunder		10	9.4%
Rockets		2	1.87%
Trail Blazers	2	1.87%
Grizzlies	1	0.93%
Jazz		1	0.93%

Select the Finals loser:

Votes	Percentage
Cavaliers	67	62.6%
Warriors	23	21.5%
Spurs		7	6.5%
Celtics		3	2.8%
Thunder		3	2.8%
Clippers	1	0.93%
Hornets		1	0.93%
Pacers		1	0.93%
Raptors		1	0.93%

Select the Finals winner:

Votes	Percentage
Warriors	57	53.3%
Cavaliers	31	29.0%
Spurs		8	7.5%
Thunder		6	5.6%
Celtics		1	0.93%
Clippers	1	0.93%
Knicks		1	0.93%
Raptors		1	0.93%
Wizards		1	0.93%
The SAS hivemind is off to a catastrophic start.

-The current WS leader is CP3.
-Rodney McGruder is the current rookie WS guy.
-The current rookie PER leader is Malcolm Brogdon. (Embiid's is higher but he's not going to qualify at his current minute rate).

0 for 214 :doh:

Batch #3 coming later this year.

IcePhoenix posted:

I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree.

Lockback posted:

It's TS%/eFG% of 45%. That's not great, but its hardly awful. I agree its not in his best interest but if he hit 1 more 3 we'd be celebrating that line and it wouldn't change the game outcome.

Cool Buff Man posted:

I think 45% ts/efg is indeed bad, he didn't make that extra 3 and it's irrelevant whether or not it means they would have won but what do I know

3/10 from 3P range in a single game is within acceptable range. 3/10 per game over the course of a season is 246/820 and that's awful. That'd be the worst ever.

Boosh! posted:

What happened to Justise Winslow?

He has a good chance of being this years worst shooter. Ish Smith may get in the way of that though.

• Locked thread