Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Serephina posted:

Also what up with the two copies of Antaeus in the OP's pic?

Big Lord and Punished "Curare" Antaeus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Prism posted:

See, I told you I couldn't spell Hep.

What's the origin of the name of the lorocyproca anyhow? I know a lot of them are just arbitrary; is that one of them?

Not sure, maybe it's the same source that named neqoxecs.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

hito posted:

Gonna make a team with a team discord to just hang out and shoot the poo poo. Low pressure team because this tournament is right during the end of the release cycle for my job (and I'm hosting a friend from out of state this first weekend). Only requirement that you hang out in Discord while you're playing because this is a team about complaining.

Sloth, let me know if you want a spot

Slow And Salty
Team captain: hito

1. Jase
2. LordSloth?

I'm almost done setting up a general Gooncrawl Discord because I was bored (in the process of turning tiles into emotes at the moment) if you just want to add a channel there. Server/General text channel: https://discord.gg/3JEyRYg

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Rev up your o+tab keys, tournament's starting in ~10 minutes!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Haifisch posted:

* * * dinnae die * * *

Dwarf and Grunt? Pretty good combo if it is.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Won my TrCK, although this was ridiculous:
code:
15 caustic shrikes (Depths:4)
I encountered all of them at once. I have no idea how many packs spawned together to do that, but that was a loving neverending encounter of pain and misery.

jerkstoresup posted:

We have the best teams, don't we folks?

Sure do :allears:

IronicDongz posted:

I'm sorry I basically haven't been contributing so far, this has been... a really unfortunate time for a tourny for me

No big deal; the tournament's just a fun side thing anyway, not anything serious. Hope everything is okay/turns out okay for you!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

taqueso posted:

e: hmm, interesting corruption in the rPois listing of the dump

That would be your browser failing to convert the ASCII code for the infinity symbol, since you died while petrified :eng101:

You had a bunch of tools available to survive even without curing teleportitis (Haste, read tele, wand of heal wounds, fan of gales, sack of spiders, etc.). Next time you end up somewhere bad, I would recommend stopping to think about your plan of action to survive (especially on Zot:5, where you should go hog wild on any stocked consumables since there is little else to do at that point).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FulsomFrank posted:

As a melee ant man, how bad is the amulet of air's InAcc malus? Will this kill me?

In the early-mid game, it will make things more difficult but not impossible with good tactics. Once you have your weapon to min-delay, the benefits will definitely outweigh the downsides. Definitely hold off if you are struggling to deal with black mamba or spriggans.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Pearl dragons are horseshit that shouldn't be spawning in Depths. If they are able to, at least make the breath like any other dragon instead of an undodgable AOE fireball that leaves clouds, all of which are of an irresistable (except for AC) damage type and even more incredibly dangerous if you happen to be playing the wrong species. :salt:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

done. (you dodged it 2-3 times before it hit you, actually!)

there are plenty of other monsters that will have no mercy on players still using Summon Ice Beast and Lightning Spire in Depths. salt aside, i'm not extremely sold on your complaints here.

I guess I didn't notice because I was too busy making GBS threads my pants.

There was no real base to my complaint there, so don't take it too seriously. I was just being salty for losing a Nemelex choice that late to a monster that specifically targets my species and that I've never seen actually appear in Depths before (as Internet Kraken pointed out, though, it was probably only appearing due to a rare vault anyway). I probably would have been just as salty to Mennas camping a set of stairs, to be honest. I was actually in Depths to get more experience to get Tornado online because I had enough defenses and the lightning spire and ice beasts were actually enough to chip away at hordes while I tanked it all.

I do feel that the breath being both a heavy impact and AOE effect is a little harsh if they have a chance of appearing in 3 rune games for undead species.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Bug report?: I'm getting really hungry from Wrath of Trog activating, did that (and *Rage items) get missed in the voluntary vs involuntary berserk hunger cost patch?

E: Nevermind, I must have just gotten conveniently hungry 3 times in a row as the berserk activated, it doesn't seem to be happening now.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 13, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Allow Dith shadow to attack diagonally and reach.

Why was only attacking orthogonally a thing it was deliberately designed to do before now :lol:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PleasingFungus posted:

begging the question
Sorry, I read this line and the commit name and assumed:
code:
return dist < 2 || (dist <= 2 && you.reach_range() != REACH_NONE);
I guess I should blame Crawlcode instead, then?

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Prism posted:

I give up.

How do you do Shoals as someone who breathes and doesn't fly? Now that I can't stand on doors to not get killed by water nymphs my success rate with non-Gargoyles is unpleasantly low (though I haven't really played any significant amount since the last tournament, which isn't helping). What are the tricks? There's got to be something I'm missing, because I can't believe that one of the four Lair areas is just this much harder than Swamp/Spider/Snake.

I'm sure it's not too bad if you're a good player, but I have like four lifetime wins in versions more recent than 0.10 and I'm just not, so whenever I see Shoals I just kind of sigh and expect to die, even if I put it off.

Shoals is still the most awful Lair branch to get, even if you are 'good'. Some tricks:
-A lot of Shoals enemies are weaker inland vs near the water, so drag them over to even footing
-Don't be afraid to use consumables/god powers when you see something that you don't know if you can deal, like water nymphs or merfolk avatars
-Leave Shoals:4 for later as long as possible, always. It is so much more dangerous than any other Lair branch ending by a mile
-Always let enemies come to you, don't reveal more spaces moving to them (good advice for the rest of the game as well)

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Carados posted:

I auto explored while over water with a potion of flying and it just didn't move and drained me to zero. 0 skills lair is fun!

At least you didn't drown!

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Found the (+8 antimagic *Rage battleaxe) Wrath of Trog on my VS with no axe levels or crosstrains.

I... I don't know. :ohdear:

Also, amulet of faith on Usk is hilarious.

Even though you're dead, a word of warning that Wrath of Trog *Rage is special cased to go off on a 50% chance for every melee attack. You WILL go berserk every fight, without exception.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

tote up a bags posted:

Nevermind, hosed up in Tomb. GOOD poo poo gently caress CRAWL

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

God drat Troll Monks are just laughable. I've tried tabbing through before but it really just works straight out of the box for trolls...

Yep, right up until it quickly stops, then starts up again when you find good dragon scales.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Carcer posted:

I walked down some stairs, saw Nikola. Before I could react he chain lightning'd me for about 80 hp and then chain lightning'd me again for the remaining 50 before I could go back up, killing me.

Enemies with lightning damage are rare but holy poo poo they will slaughter you if you can't get away.

edit: JFC he can hit up to 256 with a single cast!

That's specifically Nikola; most other elec using enemies are high damage but pretty predictable in how much they can do in a turn. Never fight him without rElec or a potion of resistance. If you don't have either, you can risk it with summon butterflies/loads of summons or undead to try to mitigate the chain lightning bounces until you kill him (but you should only do this if he's blocking the only way you can go and you have no alternative routes left).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

crawl is goddamn impossible to play on a small screen

It's possible, but you have to play console. I don't know if the app on the Google Play store has updated to the most recent version yet.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

hito posted:

++++++.... seems way too low for a Spriggan with 18 DEX and 15 Stealth. Did the values for how much stealth is in each plus change or something?

Species and forms lost their stealth modifiers because the info was hidden.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

tote up a bags posted:

Having juuust finished my first 15 runer... what's the benefit of treeform in Tomb?

It's a way to become immune to negative energy and torment on demand, at the cost of losing stairdancing. If you are a spellcaster or Makhleb or TSO worshippers it's pretty good at speeding things up, but you have to be drat well sure you can actually survive until the potion wears off.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Carcer posted:

Which inevitably drags you into Sigmund's line of sight as the little bastard dances away from you.

I hold Tab when I see Sigmund too.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

FR: 1 HP species

Oh wait, that's Felids :v:

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I'm guessing this is a fixedart!

code:
L - the +10 broad axe of Okawaru's Pride (weapon) {chop, rPois rF+ rC+ rN+}

Nope, random!

Here's a list of fixedarts, though I'm not sure if the wiki is fully up to date.

Edit: Usually a good way to identify a fixedart is that it will have it's own unique description, and most of them also usually do something unique that can't be found on normal items. Likewise, all fixedarts are immediately identified upon sight (with the exception of the Robe of Misfortune, which looks like a normal robe and is a sick joke).

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Dec 1, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Shinino Kage posted:

Yes, but if you're playing a race/class combo that is horrible with a certain weapon-type, it's horrible to not have at least basic weaponry scale up. Again, I'm not talking "Oh, I should have a super-arte great sword on D1 every game".

I'm saying that I should see at least mid-tier base weapons by the time I hit Lair IMO.

I think you can find most mid tier weapons if you go to Orc, which is around Lair. Orc warriors, knights, and warlords have a lot of common mid tier weapon variety.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Shinino Kage posted:

Orc is generally after Lair, tho, going by the 'order' thing in IRC of D1-10, Lair, D11-12, Orc, D13-14, S et al.

The 'order' is a good guide, but it is created for standard luck under the assumption that the number one priority for you at that moment is to gain as much experience for as little risk as possible. It's important to recognize when to deviate from it due to something else taking priority. For example, if you're in Lair and still using a hand axe, maybe take a quick stop at Orc and burn some god powers/evocable/consumables to scrape up something better.

Also, answering your suggestion earlier about starting weapon quality, the only backgrounds with improved starting weapons are Fi and Gl. This is because the other parts of their kit (shield/scale mail, throwing nets) are nowhere near good enough to make up for only having melee as an option, since Fi will usually ditch their shield for a two-handed and Gl can't just throw nets whenever due to the mulch rate. Without those upgraded weapons, there would be no reason to pick either over a Mo/Zealot/hybrid book backgrounds. Giving everyone these upgraded weapons would necessitate giving Fi/Gl an even higher tier, leading to a power creep.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 1, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Captain Monkey posted:

There are about a dozen ways to improve the Fi and Gl start that aren't 'give them the next damage tier weapon'.

Care to throw out some examples? Maybe it can change and everyone can become consistent then!

PleasingFungus posted:

m&f weapons are much better for 'pure melee' characters, especially those not following gifting gods, since the great mace is by far the most common top-end melee weapon.

Great maces are also severely underwhelming. I find Polearms offer a smoother upgrade transition than M&F thanks to the large amount of enemies that use them (bardiches are often the one "Don't Count On It" tier weapon that I can actually count on finding without a gifting god, at least by Vaults), along with reaching being very useful.

Battleaxes are also dirt common and pretty comparable to great maces if you have a god who can help you take advantage of cleaving.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Poison Mushroom posted:

How to play SBl:

Are you a Kiku Stabber?

If not, did you find an elec quickblade?

If not, did you cross train into LBl?

No? Then get hosed.

You forgot "Are you a vine stalker?"

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

I think the crown should be special cased to allow Antennae 3 characters to wear it.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Obfuscation posted:

As a GrBe, what do I do about Jorgrun who is camping on the other side of the Depts stairs? He can shatter me for 100+ damage so I'd rather not fight him but I have to go down those stairs eventually. I guess I just need to blind teleport away but that's risky as hell.
Turn on flight and then berserk for the speed and extra HP if you are still worried.
E:fb

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Just rationalize it that Rupert could have destroyed you even without Paralyse. Still a good play unless you really want his weapon.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

dpeg posted:

If you get standard English to adopt four more letters, then *of course* Crawl inventories would grow by those four letters. I'll point that in an alternative history where German was the dominating language, you'd enjoy 30 item inventories, thanks to äöüß. Bitte sehr, gern geschehen!

Can we adopt kanji instead, then?

E: 紫の = potion of mutation

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I'm thinking of running a troll of Jiyva because that sounds super fun. Should I start out with an earlier god? Any advice for gods that help early on but have pretty survivable punishments?

I've heard Fedhas is good for this sort of thing, but I don't have good experience with it because I don't use Fedhas if I can help it. I would advise you to have a good plan to survive to Slime:5 if you are dead set on Jiyva, because that may be the sole altar that game.

Alternatively, if you don't care about winrate or start scumming, keep trying faded altars until you get a Jiyva start (or find an early Jiyva altar/Slime temple).

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Obfuscation posted:

Darn, I wanted to make an unarmed demonspawn. I even got monstrous on my first try! But then I found a +12 elec dagger on D4 and my plan is ruined. Thanks Crawl.

Use the dagger while training UC, swap over when the dagger isn't doing it anymore. You can even still drop points into Short Blades early on to reduce the attack delay without losing that much experience in the long run.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

If you aren't making hello.jpg out of your shops, I don't know why you are even playing Gozag.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

My only Orc Jesus win was to just be buff enough to beat everything by myself and let my orcs spawn and die around me. Whenever I needed to escape, I used them as meatshields to buy me time to tele or climb the stairs. When some of them got lucky to get names, I gave them my bad randarts (and eventually, Firestarter).

I tried recalling on the entrance while escaping with the Orb, but nobody came. I may not have been a very good Orc Jesus.

E:
code:
86356 | Zot:5    | Your ally Argrim died
 86356 | Zot:5    | Your ally Bogwik died
 86361 | Zot:5    | Your ally Herok died
 86362 | Zot:5    | Your ally Bogward died
 86363 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 86370 | Zot:5    | Your ally Warrok died
 86374 | Zot:5    | Your ally Boderik died
 86374 | Zot:5    | Your ally Olfrun died

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Dec 9, 2016

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

The reason I want to switch is because I want a god that can make up for me being crazy weak. Fedhas was doing that till I ran out of fruit but I guess I'm stuck with him now

Fedhas summons oklobs and wandering mushrooms around you (and the oklobs can fire through the wandering mushrooms), and occasionally creates spores from corpses.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Obfuscation posted:

Centaurs are basically just minotaurs that run fast and kobold is a spriggan without an eating disorder, please remove

Got those somewhat wrong: the centaurs are the worse spriggans (and so are felids, but I like felids better than spriggans because I despise spriggans), and kobolds are shittier trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Remove all Tolkien referenced player species. Get rid of humans, elves, dwarves, trolls, halflings, orcs, vampires, ogres (mentioned in a single line in The Hobbit), tengu (too close to eagles imo), vine stalkers (same thing with ents), demigods (kind of the Maiar), felids and octopodes (there are cats and octopodes I'm sure).

• Locked thread