Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Araganzar posted:

To me, this is a strong argument both for relevance/usefulness. It also encourages branching out, using less "optimal" spells, trying ones you wouldn't ordinarily cast. It's a real bummer to play a caster sometimes when you feel like you have to save levels for "core" spells since you have no innate ones. With this mechanic, I try a lot of new spells, my game has more variety, and I when I find a new book I am encouraged to memorize a spell I have room for rather than feeling frustrated.

I agree with this - even including some of the ones in starting books, I'm a bit more tempted to skip those for a more boring game now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Wolfechu posted:

That should catch 99% of it, I think there's the odd time where Xom goes "Catch!" or similar and the word doesn't appear in the message. I'll give it a go and see. Thanks!

Given Xom effects are captured in the log, though, it feels like there should be a more elegant solution than brute-forcing mentions of their name. Like there's an event name covering them all that the game could pause on.

code:
fmm := force_more_message
stop := runrest_stop_message

: if you.god() == "Xom" then
stop += god:. 
: end

: if you.god() == "Xom" then
fmm += god:.
: end
This will only work properly if you save the game after taking Xom, unless you are a CK.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

The choices were removed because it was hard to balance.

Knight supremacy!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Had a few really boneheaded splats this tournament, including a 12-runer in Tar. This last one, a Felid EE of Sif Muna, died to a typo - tried to aim a blink scroll, target wasn't in range, then thought I was re-aiming it but instead took a step and died.

New Sif is definitely neat but I wasn't able to champion her, around 32k turns after reaching 5*. Not sure how much of that is just resting so much due to being weak, there were certainly a few times I was using the recover MP ability to kill tough foes.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Done for the tournament, with 3 wins and a 12-rune splat. Our team played all random characters, which was great fun but not for every time - it makes it too hard to get good streaks, and basically impossible to get nchoices. In addition to that one I had a lot of splats of winnable characters, including this last attempt at a 2-streak: an MfSu of Kiku that went into shoals looking for a dtrident to brand. Some merfolks hit me down to 3hp, so I blinked away and then tried to walk to nearest stairs near unexplored territory and got promptly killed by a tomahawk. After so many good plays dealing with earlier troubles, it just takes one slipup. Shouldn't crawl when sleepy but there wasn't much time left to finish.

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/hyperrchandra/morgue-hyperrchandra-20161120-102930.txt (yes, I died with acq. the plan was to use it on weapon if I had to flee Shoals, or gold if not as there were a lot of random useful things to buy. better would have been to just get gold, the weapon situation was OK enough and Shoals basically always has dtridents).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

ZeeToo posted:

God, it's weird playing a character with an AC under 35 and a base weapon damage under 15.

Speaking of low base damage, I was surprised to find a +9 hand axe {flame} to be better than a +6 demon whip of slashing with Uskayaw against groups. I used the hand axe through most of swamp/spider/elf, hoping to find a broad axe at some point (using Ignorance, so the battle/execs I've found are useless).

e: died from trying to be cute instead of just berserking with my handaxe. Corroded, confused, frozen, burned, all at once.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Nov 25, 2016

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

E Equals MC Hammer posted:

I could throw scroll brands at it until it is electric, maybe.

TSO won't like it no matter the brand, for being a demon whip. Just use your 6* power to bless it into a Scourge which will be very good against all enemies and completely bonkers against demons/undead.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

paper bag with a face posted:

Is there a list of spells anywhere that tells me if they're good or bad? I feel like I have a lot of trouble starting spellcasters because I don't know what spells to pick up.

Until you know what you're doing with a specific combination, get everything in your starting book, in order. When you find a new book, utility spells (repel Missiles, Regeneration, Blink, Apportation, etc.) can be good but I'm generally not in a rush to get new killing methods (summons on a Conjurer). Only break that rule when your book isn't handling things due to resists/power (Wz for me - I can't always kill things in Lair with it - though I'd probably just support it with melee. FE and VM can have this happen more, hopefully you get some other conjuration if you're playing that style).

ZypherIM posted:

My problem with spellcasters usually involves never finding a new book that isn't opposite elements from what I have, or some branch of magic that isn't used at all for what I'm trying. Then on my melee no-magic style guys I could open a library. Someone better at spellcasters could probably put some useful stuff about what spells you should be wanting to use once you're hitting lair and that first monster difficulty spike. Maybe also how they dish out skill points.

If the spells are high enough level and share Conj or such, that can be a really good find. For example getting any non-fire Bolt on a Fire Elementalist. Yes it will take more training but it will mean there are fewer things you have to melee / avoid.

Skill advice will vary in specifics between games due to aptitudes, finds, etc. But a general appraoch for a HEFE or something: At the start of the game I like to get around 6 spellcasting and in my spell schools Less if the school is only used for a spell or two, such as Hexes on a Cj. This probably has you covered for everything except the last spell (Fireball), now you have to decide how much you want fireball vs fighting/dodging, or a weapon skill - if you found an enchanted weapon of any type it might be worth getting say 4-6 skill there, I'd also want to start on Dodging. If it's particularly good (say an electric long sword for the HE) you could get more melee, but probably I would prefer to make fireball more reliable, something like 10 conj/fire and then get Fighting and more Dodging.

When going into lair, think about the most common threats. Do you have a reasonable way to kill Spiny Frogs, herds of fat Ys, and hydrae? You can run from hydrae and break up packs of Ys but if you have to do both all the time it will get exhausting and if you are like me you will get frustrated when one trouble leads to another and end up doing something dumb. So the HEFE will use Conjure Flame to put monsters in trouble, then sticky flame and melee them. For both groups and hydrae, Fireball will also work but you have to watch for noise - try to run back towards known area some. You probably won't be able to fight hydrae toe-to-toe comfortably, even with a flaming scimitar. But you might be able to pillardance and remove heads slowly, if it comes to that (regen to full HP before each swing, and only risk this if your attacks are at 1.0 delay).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Poison Mushroom posted:

So much talk of weapon types getting shafted (:haw:) and nobody even mentions short blades?

Closely related: Long blades and 1-h polearms losing their stab bonuses was pretty annoying. Lbl at least gives you crosstraining now but it's not worth bothering to swap for lower quality stabs. Using either type was a nice bonus with Ru or Zin, for example.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

For NaIE (or most IE) I'd start with focus Ice, train Spellcasting, until Freeze is at full power. Pick up all the spells, train their non-ice schools a bit - probably Ice Beast before Icicle.

Use poison spit as mentioned, and on D:1 especially spit at things and then step away until it's back. Yes you will get hit some, but less than if you stand there and punch them or whatever.

Fitzy Fitz posted:

You'll have an easier time starting as a venom mage and then branching into ice magic, but if you want to start as IE... I don't know. I'm not good with that class.

I don't really like NaVM because you have limited options against early ice beasts or foes in rP armour, as running is hard (this also makes poison worse in general for Na). NaIE has some trouble with beasts too but Ozos or Ice Beast can help a lot. Though NaVM is probably a lot better now with the constant improvements to OTR.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I've found OCPA two games in a row now, and one of them was even a heavy armor caster with 30 str and 37 int, but I don't know how you could use that thing unless you're a Cheibro.

Really good on say HO/Gr of Veh too. I even used High Council alongside it (rip best hat). Finished with 28 str 37 int (prioritized str items more than usual because of the armour).

https://crawl.jorgrun.rocks/morgue/hyperrchandra/morgue-hyperrchandra-20161031-082058.txt

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

it's not like you won't get corroded but you'll get corroded a lot slower when it only goes through half the time

And more importantly you'll take a lot less damage from it.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Terrible news, everybody!

Ogres and High Elves have been removed :(

A dark, dark day for crawl.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

StoryTime posted:

Yes, Invo fighters are very fun. Pick something like a Hill Orc, and grab the first altar of a Invocations heavy god you see. Or just start as an Abyssal Knight, plenty of different characters work well with Lugonu.

HOMo and DsMo are good for this, now that monk doesn't force UC.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Nothing like finding the amulet "Redeaf" {Gourm rF+++ rC+++ Int-5 Dex+3} when resists are already good, so using harm over it. (Also I don't like getting Brainless from random neqoxec summons and such).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Goodpancakes posted:

Can you Wizmode on CAO or do I have to download a standalone?

You can if you're a dev (or server admin, presumably)!

Before I had my first win I used wizmode to look at some areas of the game and try out Tornado and such, it was nice to have the option. These days I occasionally use it to check weird interactions, if the first people I ask don't know the answer.

Is explore mode available online? (And how do you use it offline?)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

a day ago or so someone on tavern was talking about how losing these makes mummies awful, and said "Now mummies have only two gods viable on 15 rune games; Gozag and Nemelex."

What, did they forget Ru?

Nice win!

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Araganzar posted:

Let me change the subject by pointing out that even though PF hates ranged Crypt 3 clearly disapproves of my skill choices thus far and would REALLY like for me to give it a try:

How did I never think of manuals getting "!d" ? Thanks. My current (0.19) OgWn has found Sniper, Damnation, Piercer, and some fancy triplecrossbows but I'm already using rods as my ranged attack.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Mr. Lobe posted:

Hey is there a formula or something to determine how much STR and DEX affect melee and ranged attacks? I have no idea how much it means to gain a point of STR or DEX and by extension to compare, say, a +2 ring of slaying against a +6 ring of STR.

I don't know the formula, but generally value str at around half of slaying. Str/Dex affect damage/accuracy respectively, and in addition you might like a large ring of Str for raising your EV / Spell chances in armour. I'd basically always use a +6 Str over +2 slay.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Zarick posted:

I almost certainly could have prevented it, but I wasn't expecting Lom Lobon to both appear and cast glaciate four turns in a row.

Ouch, yeah, Lom is a mess. I had him show up on Zot:5 once, but Imprison worked nicely.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

euphronius posted:

Yeah. I as relying on Dispel undead and summons to kill rN+++s before that.

Yeah pain + Dispel Undead gets you through most things (pain also shreds Orb Guardians). For orbs you will need might or berserk, or just skip them but that's gotten harder in current versions. The unbranded demon trident is better for them, but again you really want might or berserk. Berserk can be risky itself, also.

I've used simulacra against orbs before but it seems to be a real gamble, sometimes they just all melt right away.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

kaaj posted:

As I've been training short blades, would you guys switch to using the glaive? And if yes - then what next? I've been only using short blades and light armour so far so I don't really know how the rest works. In the last game, I've been jumping between light armour and heavy one but that was mostly "I don't know what I'm doing" type of a thing.

You certainly could swap for that weapon at this point - it is really good - but also having that nice shield I probably wouldn't. Keep your eyes peeled for elec short blades, and using a scimitar or whip / demon whip is also an option if they're good. Do ID some of your potions/scrolls.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Allow purple meat to provide satiation. Not really sure why it doesn't.

So you don't have to purge yourself to eat the purple.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Scale its damage with HP missing instead of HP. So it still gets up to max when you get 271 hp....and 1 health.

Didn't Augmentation used to do this and it was awful? I've heard the same about sanguine armour but haven't had that yet (too many non-crawl games want playing).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

jerkstoresup posted:

Keep Barachian for BaBe and BaNe.

Also BaCK, and Baen (books). This doesn't make up for HEWn though BaGl comes close.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Ferrinus posted:

Why DID they take pounce away from Felids? Was it too strong? Does "too strong" really make sense for such a lovely species?

It made statueform good for them! (I think the real reason for removing jumping in general was weird behaviours depending on what enemies are where, especially ones you can't see - but cats have sinv)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

To make up for the fact that we only have one elf type and one dwarf type, the new races should be reflavored as dog dwarves and frog elves

Dogs do dig deeply, and frogs are sometimes found in the sludge...

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I like demigods and this post. They even lost stats when their stat growth got changed from sid/2 to choice/3, it'd be nice to have that compensated for with the apts. Playing gimmicky things like DgFi with ALL THE STR is fun, but for hybrid types using all three stats I don't think choice balances -4 total stats.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Belch.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Does blade hands no longer block wands? I remember actually using lichform for melee sometimes to avoid that penalty on a Kiku DsTm.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

LordSloth posted:

It is an exceptionally small school, however, and really needs some more variety. Perhaps something with a Necromancy or Summoning Element? Bloat Corpse Zombie

Maybe Corpse Rot should be Necro/Poison?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I just got my third rune for the first time since I came back to crawl, and I feel like this guy is strong enough to take on at least some, if not all, of the extended endgame. I haven't done it in literal years, though, so I would appreciate any advice I could get re: what to do with him. My thought was I could swap to TSO, run through crypt with an amulet of faith on to get his piety up to max, bless that antimagic quickblade into one of holy wrath so I can actually use it, then switch to Zin and get going into the endgame?

I'd either skip the TSO step, or convert a demon blade/whip instead. The AM quickblade is OK to support your bite and a holy quickblade is still bad at doing damage itself. Zin is great at handling things you don't want to fight - try to remember all of Recite/Imprison/Sanctuary as options in any difficult area, and use Vit liberally.

also, use the +6 dagger "Jellyslayer" {pierce, +Inv Dex+4} to stab big things and +inv.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Having the armour skill just give you more armour (similar to Dodging) isn't inherently a bad idea.

I don't know enough to say if making encumbrance purely a function of str and evp is, though.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

New zig spellset - all elements, no conj. (Ignition, Refrigeration, Shatter, Tornado).

Microcline posted:

What happens to removed spells/items in existing games when they're updated to a new version?

Generally the spells don't do anything but still take up spell slots and the items become useless or get replaced (if there was a clear replacement).

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Cicadalek posted:

I have a newb question. If you're starting as a conjurer or other class that has no weapon, is there a particular weapon type to look out for? obviously stuff with a good brand is best, but I don't know if a spear or dagger or hand axe is better with 0 weapon skill.

With 0 or very low weapon skill biggest weapons are generally best, but require knowing when it is and isn't safe to attack and give enemies double turns.

Type doesn't matter that much when you're not training them, just whatever you find first. That way you aren't risking extra curses, until you find some weapon that you like (quarterstaff, fast venom/pain/elec weapon, well-enchanted artefact, etc)

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

LaserShark posted:

I keep trying to get into this game, but after going down seven levels of hitting 'o', killing things, then hitting 'o' again it all feels very samey. Is there much variety other than getting down to the bottom, grabbing the MacGuffin, and climbing back out?

If not, you should get a win in the next half hour or so?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Roctavian posted:

What if cursed was just replaced with fragile? And poo poo like inacc just doesn't generate

You'd have to pickup duplicate rings/amulets, including in portal vaults, in any game in which you might worship Ashenzari later.

Decrepus posted:

If I'm not affected by stasis, and don't have any -Tele indication, what would cause my Tele to fail 3 times? The log just said some message about feeling stable and now I'm not teleporting anymore. I already hosed died so no rush.

Starting another teleport (they toggle). Were you in snake with naga using Teleport on you?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Jiyva stat shuffle?

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

I just found this randart -- Shield of the Sewer,: -Cast +Inv rPois Slay-3 and was pretty sad it wasn't a fixedart with a manhole cover sprite, with -Cast because it's really hard to carry because it's a manhole cover not a real shield.

Maybe we need good randarts like that one to spread to other games, similar to ghosts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Could he have had an MR item? I can't remember if monsters with MR items make the targetter lie or leak.

• Locked thread