Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I've never been happier about a non-yankees sports related victory than I am about the Cubs winning.

:unsmith:

Go cubbies, but just this year because the Yankees are gonna be good again next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also I cannot believe they didn't ever bench Rizzo!!!!!!!!

What happened to that terrible poster, anyway?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

I'm interested to see how they handle the offseason. I don't understand why people are so down on giving Fowler a long-term deal. Sure his days in CF might not last much longer but you can slot him into one of the corner outfield slots in a year or two. He has enough pop in the bat.

The team actually has some money coming off the books this year too. Coghlan ($4.8m), Cahill ($4.2m), Ross ($2.5m). So you could easily use some of that money to keep Fowler on a $15-$18m deal over the next few years.

I also think they'll pick up the option on Hammel (which is really affordable) and see what the market is for him. Not many pitchers available in free agency and you could probably nab a prospect or two that you like for him. Flip those for some bullpen help.

I doubt they pay Chapman big money. Same for someone like Jensen. I don't think Theo has ever gone out and spent huge money on his bullpen. They have some arms there already and can sort out the rest through the trade market without paying someone $20 million to come out of the pen.

probably because they have this young kid named Schwarber who literally cannot stand anywhere other than left field and Heyward who is on a long term deal.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Is Carl's Jr any good? We don't have that poo poo in Boston.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Theo has literally cemented his position as the greatest GM in the history of the sport, it doesn't matter what he does from now on. I'd imagine he keeps cashing those chicago checks for a bunch of years and then fucks off to make the Rockies or the Padres relevant or something.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Also this seems like a good time to remind everyone that, at one point, Theo Epstein fled Fenway Park in a Gorilla suit to avoid any media confrontation.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

That's fine but do the Cubs spend the money on the bullpen or more crazy Trump ads?

Decline Hammels Option, sign a SP who is not Jason Hammel and improve the Bullpen. Spending money for no reason is what bad teams do and the Cubs are officially not bad team anymore.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Niwrad posted:

If they wanted a SP they would have kept Hammel who is probably a better value than anyone on the market.

Spending money just to spend is bad. But letting good players go at positions you need and not replacing them would be worse.

Jason Hammel is a league average pitcher who is going to be 34. They can do extremely better than him in free agency.

Stealth edit: actually now that I'm looking at the pitching market, the best option is literally Jeremy Hellickson. Man the free agency crop is total garbage this year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bad boy in the boy band posted:

Dexter's and Hammel's money can be given to Jansen.

They don't have to take money from one place and move it to another. The Cubs are literally in Yankees/Dodgers value territory now. Just spend the drat money.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Legit shocked that britton is not in the Top 3.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spring Break My Heart posted:

WAR for relievers is low because the relievers are less valuable than other positions. Britton should not have received real Cy Young consideration (and he's at least out of the top 3 in a not particularly staggering year of candidates). Giving guys like Gagne the Cy Young should be seen along the same line as giving Juan Gonzalez the MVP.

As a person who firmly believes Zach Britton should have been the Cy Young winner:

a: Pitcher WAR is a bad stat for all pitchers, not just relievers.

b: Unlike the MVP, which has 'most valuable' right in the name, Cy Young is simply an award for the best pitcher in the league. Obviously how you judge this depends person to person, but this is why relievers winning Cy Young awards is not as crazy as a not very valuable player winning the MVP in 2016.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ego symphonic posted:

What makes you say this? Is this just fWAR or all types of pitcher WAR?

I suppose saying it's a bad stat is a bit hyperbolic. It's just not as useful as player WAR and is generally, in my eyes, does a bad job capturing who the best pitchers are.

Generally speaking, I think it rewards worse pitchers for pitching more innings than in should. This is a big deal, as it punishes a pitcher for playing on a team with a better bullpen.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

Apparently the Yankees have a lot of suitors for McCann, which surprises me. He'd still have to waive his NTC, but I would imagine that Cashman isn't just dangling him out there for salary relief.

If the Yankees can get anything remotely of value for him, then I'll be super happy. I'd imagine he waves his NTC pretty easily. The guy wants to play, and with Bird and Sanchez on the team, McCann is going to catch every 4 games and DH maybe.

e: I just remembered that Starlin Castro is going to still be our starting 2nd basemen :smith:

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 14, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Very surprised that Hellickson took the QO. He may not really be good, but the pitching market this offseason sucked, and someone probably would have thrown 5/85 at him

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Id imagine they would simply insert a compensatory pick round between 1 and 2. This move makes sense, it was really dumb to punish middling clubs for signing players.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

They should start setting off the dinger machine for strikeouts too, in honor of jose

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

That's also their combined fastball velocity

Reminder that Bartolo Colon has been an extremely effective pitcher the past few years throwing 89MPH fastballs 90% of the time.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Pussy Boss posted:

This has to be the worst bunch of free agent SPs like, ever, right? Jason Hammel, Charlie Morton, Ivan Nova, Rich "Blister" Hill and a couple of senior citizens. Jeez

Its the worst FA class in general in as long as I can remember. There are really only 6 or 7 bats worth a drat, a handful of relievers and then a bunch of reclamation projects.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Pancakes posted:

The Cardinals cackle madly with their nine potential starters:

Wainwright, Martinez, Wacha, Leake, Lynn, Reyes, Gonzales, Weaver, Garcia.

What are we bid for the sexy, sexy corpse of Jaime Garcia?

2 or 3 of those guys might be average!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Interesting trivia question:

Has an MVP ever recorded the final out of the world series before Bryant?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

New Concept Hole posted:

Posey caught strike three in 2012. :v:

strikeouts are attributed to the pitcher. Nice try!

By my eye it's happened twice before!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Rizzo recorded the final out

Not according to the baseball almanac!

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I can't believe Jacoby Ellsbury is going to be on my team for 4 more years.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

tadashi posted:

Twins have outrighted Trevor Plouffe. :fuckoff: I hope this means the new front office is going to burn the shack they inherited to the ground and lay the foundation for something new. It's going to be a weird off-season in Minneapolis. They've got a few pieces but literally all they've got is a few pieces.

They should be shopping Dozier so goddamn hard right now.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

Plouffe wasn't that bad the last few seasons. But this means that they're committing to either Sano or Polanco at third full time which is exactly what they should be doing.

I don't think I'd agree with something going "horribly wrong" if Dozier and Santana aren't traded, either.

This team isn't competing in the next two years and they sure as poo poo are not going to resign either of them. You definitely trade them now 99/100 times.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

He's 2000 hits away lmao. That's not how 'locks' work.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Inspector_666 posted:

I wonder if the Angels would trade Trout to the Yankees for Jacoby Ellsbury straight up.

(Also as somebody who drafted AP first round in their work league, I love/hate your new avatar.)

I mean, in my opinion they should.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Gleybar Torres is like 4 years away from the majors and only looks ok right now in A+ ball.

If you're a Cubs fan and you're mad about that trade I feel pretty safe calling you a complete idiot.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Cubs literally won a world series, what is wrong with you.

Torres has like a 15% chance, tops, at being a serviceable MLB player and you won the first goddamn world series in 108 years.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 22, 2016

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

B-b-b-b-but Torres could have helped the team conted!!!!*

*in the year 2021

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

We literally don't even know if Torres is going to play an MLB game ever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Like if you want to tell me you don't like that trade because Chapman is a shithead who beat his girlfriend then I'll listen to you, but hugging prospects is incredibly stupid, especially when:

a: Your team had a seemingly endless stream of prospects hit in the past 3 seasons
and
b: your team's potential payroll is approaching infinite.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mike_V posted:

If the Yankees end up re-signing Chapman, it's pretty hard to see how they don't 'win' the trade from their perspective. Both teams can win!

This guy gets it. Even if Torres because good, then the cubs still "win" It's not black and white.

Sure, in 5 years we may know who won "more" but something tells me literally no one is going to care about this trade then, even if Torres is an all star.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Gleyber Torres is going to hit a grand slam in the bottom of inning 15 in game 7 of the 2023 World Series which will pit the Cubs against the Yankees and I'll be around to quote this post forever.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Jerry Dipoto has more or less said he's good with the starting position players. He will probably obtain more pitching via trades, but who knows how much. This is the roster now:

C: Zunino / Ruiz
1B: Vogelbach / Valencia
2B: Cano
3B: Seager (the older one)
SS: Segura
OF: Leonys Martin / Guillermo Hereida / Seth Smith / Ben Gamel
DH: Cruz

A starting 1-2-3-4 of Segura, Seager, Cano and Cruz sounds amazing. Not sure if this is WS material, but maybe AL west winning material.

Starting pitching still looks weak, since it's Felix, Iwakuma, Paxton, Ariel Miranda and who the hell knows at 5. First 3 all had injury concerns last year.

Having CoFers and a first basemen that are going to OPS ~80 are not really avenues to winning. Their holes are ridiculously huge.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Intruder posted:

Speaking of the Cubs, when's the last time the team with the best record won the WS? I could look it up but :effort:

Well poo poo :(

In the past 20 years it has happened in:

1998: Yankees
2007: Red Sox
2009: Yankees
2013: Red Sox
2016: Chicago

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

It's kind of funny, if you google for information about this you see an article from journalists covering the the team with the best record every year.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Chexoid posted:

Howdy, being in the AL East sucks really bad.

Alternatively, when you're the Yankees it's pretty good.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Mets.... spent money?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

bawfuls posted:

Is this supposed to be good? This year the 20th best qualified 1B in baseball by wRC+ was Yonder Alonso with 88. #19 was Hosmer with 101. Those are not the kind of numbers you want from a 1B on a contending team.

Yeah, "Bottom 3rd in the league" is not exactly a great position to be in.

• Locked thread