Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Shockwave in the G1 show was a loser, but in the comics

Yeah, that's not even counting the current IDW run, where... Holy poo poo, he's one hell of a character! Starts off as a good guy, then is sentenced to have his hands and head (And thus his personality) replaced, builds up new hands, starts all original Shockwave "I am Cold Logic and that is why I am evil, because it's Logical", experiments with different forms of Energon (Seeding Earth and many other worlds), and, when he's finally chased down by the Dinobots? Learns he still has an emotion in his library...

...RAGE. (EDIT: For those curious what happens next, Transformers Spotlight: Shockwave.)

IDW Shockwave is a badass, marred only by the fact he's a big part of one of the dumber storylines they did (Not on par with Galvatron's part in the Infection crossover (Because hey, Zombie Crossovers are such a good loving idea... sideyes Marvel and IDW), but p. close)

JamieTheD fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 4, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

The new guys really didn't endear themselves to people too well did they?

Doesn't help that they've gotten a bit of a raw deal writing wise, even in the otherwise mostly good IDW run. Lemme see... Kup was a major part of that awful zombie crossover, got used as a puppet by Prowl (Who has moved up on my hatelist thanks to volumes 4-7), and, as of Vol. 7 (Three volumes behind on both series... I'm sad about that), isn't doing a heckuva lot. Wheelie... Kinda vanished, after genuinely being a badass for a bit, and having some good writing devoted to him. Maybe he got murdered at some point, but if he did, it was p. forgettable. And Hot-Rod... Hot-Rod has somehow managed to undergo character growth during this whole Lost Light business, and has somehow managed to dismiss it all utterly. I mean, as of Vol 7's end, he still gives out stupid badges with his face on.

Arcee is the... Better one of the lot, but is still someone they tried to "Fix" in an impressively bad way, and while they have grown as a character? That early stuff's probably going to hang over the character for a while.

It's slightly odd, actually. For all that the IDW comics have done some good and cool things with the franchise, the universe, they're still a comics company, they still occasionally gently caress up, and the G2 characters, for the most part, seem to get a lot more of that writing flak. When they haven't just mysteriously vanished or become background characters, that is.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Can't remember if G1 had holomatter avatars (Pretending to have a human to distract), but the IDW comics do, and... Megatron's never used one... Up till Volume 8 of More Than Meets The Eye.

:allears: Holy poo poo :allears:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

thetoughestbean posted:

Someone please explain to me how a race whose size, at smallest, is that of a car can pretend to be the size of a person.

And before someone else says it, yes, I understand that I am asking for logic in a series where big robot men turn into vehicles fight other big robot men who can turn into vehicles.

Okay, it's very simple: They have a holographic matter projector, which they can use to pretend they have human drivers (Which they used to pretend they were perfectly normal Earth vehicles on Earth), and they don't exploit it for any other purpose, say, for example, hiding themselves or distracting others or the like, unless either plot demands (As in that example, and the time Whirl murdered some Autobot analogues while drunk) or it's a background detail.

Usually, it represents their personality or function to some degree or other. Whirl is a very odd example of this working as intended.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Afriscipio posted:

What about '80s nostalgia - Gummi Bears by Platinum.

Dashing and daring, courageous and caring,
With, like, fifty combos on Gummiberry juice!

Yeah, Platinum would do well with a lot of those old school cartoons. I mean, imagine Jayce and the Wheeled Warriors, but all Platinum'd up... Or C.O.P.S (Dibs on B.P.Vess if that happens, though!)

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

TheDarkFlame posted:

This thread is like a glorious cavalcade of distilled off-the-wall crazy stupid things. Immediately relevant, Grimlock's vehicle mode is a loving dinosaur. That alone brings so many questions. How? Why? What kind of disguise does he think that is? Did he decide to replicate an animatronic dinosaur at a museum? Where did he get his penchant for wrestling moves? How does he fit a dinosaur around his person form? Why does he ever use his person form? What is the top speed of a brutal wrestling animatronic dinosaur anyway?

And then there's all the off-camera stupidity, the backissues and wikipages, a medic robot that turns into a single leg, a robot conscientious objector with a pet dog and a love of soap operas, and even the giant robot world outside transformers, where Space Mexico is a cactus sombrero, and there is even a giant Gundam Horse piloted by a horse what the gently caress

There is a very simple reason he uses his person form: IT HAS A FLAMING SWORD. Keep in mind, the universe has only gotten more glorious and crazy under the IDW helm, while simultaneously making more sense. That's the hilarious part about this... for all we're talking that it's silly, and weird, and hosed up, the most recent incarnations have actually done a good job in context, for the most part, of tying most of this crap together in a sensible package.

For example, why is Grimlock a dinosaur in IDW continuity? Because he turned up to Earth during the Ice Age, looked at the Mammoths and mammals, and said "gently caress this, where's the good combat forms for loving up that rear end in a top hat Shockwave who ruined our plans to get the gently caress away from Cybertron? Also, we need to cover ourselves with a fake skin so we don't energon overload from whatever the gently caress Shockwave's doing to this planet (Seeding it with rich Energon)"

Compare that to the Marvel/G1 continuity. There's a good reason Megas XLR had so much material to work with, and that's because SatAm cartoons and Mecha media have always been that much sillier. :haw:

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Coolguye posted:

I personally do not blame the man

I definitely do not blame anyone who chooses not to watch Excessive Jump Cuts, Explosions, and AMURRCA 4 (4? 5? I've lost count): Oh Yeah, There's Some Robots Too, I Guess.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

TheLastRoboKy posted:

"I guess the dark influence perverting Nova Prime's mission and impelling him towards acts of destruction and the devastation of all non-Cybertronian life was friendship after all!" does have an odd ring to it.

So long as it isn't weird interdimensional zombies, I think we're all good. It could be a big-rear end Quintesson nobody's ever heard of or something rather than what it most likely is (I AM... UNICRON...), but that, Friendship, and Sixshot are all preferable alternatives to the IDW continuity evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

Ooooh, I know exactly what that sequel hook means. Awwwwwh yeaaaah, want that Devastation sequel now!

• Locked thread