Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Torrannor posted:

Bringing in the Dragon Age guys might at least do the characters a lot of good, and gives me a bit of hope for Peebee. Remember in the Inquisition announcements where they said that Cassandra was a romantic at heart? Turns out that was true, but she is still an amazing character. ("Nothing should happen to her! She was falsely accused!") Same deal with Dorian, who was described as "dashing", but was actually pretty good as well. Not to mention that the overarching antagonist of Inquisition and Trespasser might just be the best antagonist that Bioware ever created (even before the Arishok, Jade Empire's villain, and Sovereign). So I'm just hoping that they bring some of the good things from the Dragon Age games over to Andromeda.

Is it uncool to say DA:I was actually a generally good game? (albiet with too many gather the random resources time wasters)

I liked it. gently caress 'em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Skippy McPants posted:

Every Bioware RPG has at least one total dub of an NPCs. Ever game gotta have its Jacob.

If Jacob didn't have a terrible skillset in ME2 I swear he would have seen more use. But when you recruit a Krogan shotgunner in the first act... well, yeah. Chalk that up to a design failing because Grunt was better in every way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Easy way to make Sera better: remove her annoying laugh. Then again as people said that may have been the point.

Made a pretty good archer which at the end of the day is all that really matters.

In a few months we can speculate who the dud character of ME4 will be. I just hope we have a Geth romance option.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't be silly.

The AI Waifu will also be DLC.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Torrannor posted:

You forgot the hunky gay Krogan!

Also probably DLC. I think we have the skeleton framework of a season pass going though!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Teron D Amun posted:

yep and you can earn those packs just from playing I bet

If it's like ME3 then definitely.

Just play a human engineer since those are unlocked from the start with the lightest pistol available. You're only there to spam powers anyway so the loot box gear grind is a non factor :v:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They'll just have hmm... gravity well gates or something that are basically relays in all but name.

That's probably what you're kicking a rock into during that recent trailer.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They won't be reapers, they'll be harvesters. Totally different honest!

The fan base will be fine with this just so long as one of them is a romance option.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A love triangle between the player character, a husk and a geth.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe the expedition to Andromeda was managed by the Dynamars Corporation.

Your heavy weapons will be baconizers.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope ME:A will finally have one of those floating jellyfish people (that I think we didn't see past ME:1?) as a romance interest.

Or a Collector. Actually especially a collector.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ME:A needs a ME:2 Zaeed stand in for a party member. Probably some Token Alien.

Oh and the new Mako needs an onboard AI which is a romance option for literal space car love.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Lt. Danger posted:

The geth were originally going to resurrect Shepard in ME2.

I think the idea kinda breaks down when you start to think of the actual details. Cerberus was the better choice.

Probably. That does sound interesting as hell though.

Would also explain why you're so unique instead of the eventual ME:3 answer of "just a corpse reanimated with reaper cybernetics and a VI brain". I mean you basically assumed that anyway but it was such a narrative flat note when you find out because it gets nothing more than a couple brief lines of dialogue after you interact with a computer terminal during a mission.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Drifter posted:

Nah man, you've got stockholm syndrome or whatever. DA2 was SO loving POORLY DONE that anything in that game that's not literally poo poo dribbling down your leg will seem fun or even enjoyable by comparison.

And looking back, you only THINK you remember liking it.

This. The "funny, snarky" Hawke conversation options were literally the only good part of that game and again, only by comparison to the rest of it.

DA:2 was a dumpster fire filled with old tires and medical waste. They're welcome to pinch the good bits of game design from DA:I and re-use them in ME:A though, so long as they sort out the pacing issues.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I formally accuse anyone in this thread who expresses positive feelings towards DA:2 as being full of poo poo.

It was and is a piece of poo poo cash in sequel that played badly and had a bad narrative. Fact.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Alain Post posted:

they really are going after the "mass effect 1 was the best one" crowd

Happy with that.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
*looks into crystal ball*

Okay it's a bit murky but this is what the spirits have told me. The main story missions are going to be quite good and well paced. The overall narrative will be "generally fine" whatever that means but there will be long droughts of collectathon side quests and running back and forth across large zones to encourage you to buy something called "shiner and faster version of starting vehicle DLC".

Because of the sheer quantity of filler you will have completely forgotten the previous main story mission by the time you reach the next one.

Dragon Age Effect.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope bottles of Tali sweat are on the loot tables as a homage to the old Bioware forums.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I sure hope ME:A has another unexplained annoying kid you are supposed to feel sentimental about for no explained reason whatsoever.

Kidding, Dragon Age: Effect will end with a battle on some flying space rocks and we won't get any proper narrative conclusion until the final DLC 6-12 months later.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The MSJ posted:

The new Prey 2, however, seems like a very Arkane game where they give you gimmicks and let you go nuts with it. In this case, it's "shapeshift into everything".

If it ends up being Space Dishonored I think people will generally be happy. My expectations are lower though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'm getting a serious space teenager vibe from Ryder in that last preview.

I wonder if there will be a mission where we have to take the gang to the space diner for space milkshakes and there is a dance off with our preppy rivals in the space parking lot.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Such a shortage of good party members in DA2. I wanted to kick everyone off a cliff except guard lady and sweaty crossbow dwarf. Then dive in after them to avoid seeing the same loving cave, house and coastal maps over and over.

Particularly sweaty dwarf because they put more effort into developing his character than the rest of the entire game. Never finished Act 2 and I'm never reinstalling that garbage product.

Also re: Merrill she is a literal crazy bad person blood mage with zero common sense who players only defend because "mah elf waifu".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Moola posted:

if you absolutely have to play DA2, this is the best way to play it

because at this point it seems like they might be building up to something interesting

and then Act 3 happens

Nothing happens in the first couple acts either.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

SgtSteel91 posted:

Let's remember Mass Effect 2 instead

What was your favorite Loyalty Mission?

Mine was A House Divided

Zaeed's when you go full renegade. ME2 was the best game for being a space rear end in a top hat.

Runner up would be Jack actually. The abandoned space child torture research facility presented backstory in a really good way.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

poisonpill posted:

Squad:

Male Human: The ex-cop. So he's gonna be kind of like a tough, streetwise dude who wanted adventure. Over the course of the game you can convince him not to be racist.
Female Human: Love interest. Antagonistic and challenges your choices until you pick the "nice" dialogue option to her three times.
Female Turian: She'll be tough and by-the-book and have almost no other defining characteristics.
Asari: Named "PeeBee", looks stupid. Gonna be peppy, young, eager to prove herself. Will hilariously activate one of the ancient alien artifacts due to excessive curiosity.
Krogan: Iron Bill or whatever. He'll be gruff and good in a fight but also sensitive and be all like "why can't people think of my people as more than just violent killers?" His loyalty mission will be negotiating peace between his clan and like some other one.

loving SPOILERS gawd.

You forgot substitute not-EDI AI thing that you can somehow gently caress, is also preorder DLC probably.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
They should have just given us what we all really wanted - a Buck Rogers skinned Mass Effect game.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Reclaimer posted:

LOL And even if you romanced her and are pretty much the sole remaining spot of light in the blackness, you go and fuckin' die. :smith:

Kelly should be a bonus easter egg in ME:A. You'd find her cargo container somehow intact in the wreckage of some crashed exploration spaceship after it was accidentally loaded as cargo. She is the only survivor on an otherwise unpopulated barren world.

You find her rocking back and forth in her tiny cargo box hovel lit only by a small flickering fire, talking to herself about how "Shepard will come. Shepard will come", completely broken by despair and isolation. Occasionally sobbing.

Shepard never comes.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

YA BOY ETHAN COUCH posted:

:hellyeah:

welcome to bone krew

"oh my god, someone else bought one. please play with me"

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Blastedhellscape posted:

Meer’s voice just doesn’t work for a lot of the Renegade options (somewhere I saw someone describe it as sounding like “The dad from the Brady Bunch trying to sound like a badass”), but if you play ManShep as an amiable boyscout it’s fine. He nails a lot of the sarcastic line too.

Also, for some weird reason, ManShep’s voice works really well if you give him the most grizzled face possible. It’s kind of strange, because in real life Meer’s kind of a pretty boy-looking fellow.

Agree completely. Meer sounded far too nice to be a renegade. You have to balance it out with a grizzled face like this one then it clicks:

You want to stick to darker skin tones to really bring out the terminator glowing bits. This femship is further along the renegade thing but the terminator bits look more painted on (which they are, the darker skin just blends it better).

Angry, bitter, tired femshep was the best one in ME2.

I was one of those crazy people who played through ME2 about a dozen times with a variety of characters. Only did a single run of ME3 and had no interest in a second playthrough outside of playing the Leviathan DLC which was ok.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

Literally all custom shepards look bad. The only good ones are the default ones

You could argue that for ME3 since the default heads for both versions were clearly using higher quality assets than what you could make custom ones with.

ME1 & 2? Nah, you can make plenty of good custom ones if that rocks your boat. The trick is to make them look angry because you should be mashing all those red buttons.

Anyway ME3 is the Robocop 3 of the series so we should just forget about it except as an object lesson of "do not".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Heavy Metal posted:

(Robocop 3 may be more watchable than Robocop 2 but I don't wanna split hairs/rewatch either of those. And I loves Peter Weller so that's saying something)

Peter split before Robocop 3 so you're totally good to go ahead and join the hate.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107978/fullcredits/

^Stop trying to make "pretty" shepards and just add on all the scars and heavy goth makeup you can.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The sexy alien's shirt comes off and oh god why is it's torso covered in mouths and why is the skin semi transparent :catstare:

Still waiting for the exosuit full of spiders BTW.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I actually just replayed the Collector Ship level in ME2. Such a well paced mission and the art & sound design still holds up very well.

Even though there isn't actually a clock or anything (to my knowledge) by the end you really feel that "gotta get out gently caress gently caress" urgency they were trying to instill.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I need to stop focusing on how much ME3 ruined the franchise for me because mmo-alike grinding for collectibles aside, DA:I had some pretty good story missions and I thought the climax was suitably dramatic with a satisfying conclusion.

So based on EA taking notes from that ME:A will probably be ok. Probably. Hopefully.

And if not gently caress it, at least we'll know for sure.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Zzulu posted:

DA:I had pretty boring characters, story and setting

Other than that, it was a pretty decent game

I just remember religious town you started in, mage castle with time travel, upgrade castle, palace party, grey warden cameo level with unnecessarily long bonus demon level and forest zone with elven ruins (which I think describes half the zones in the game).
I had no idea what any of the locations were actually called even when I was playing it - frankly I didn't care or think it was important.

The story missions were good and I enjoyed those. Wanted more really. The dragged out filler content out less so. If you could skip straight to each major plot section where poo poo actually happens without all the repetitive filler crap I think DA:I might be much improved. And waaaaay shorter.
Also I barely used half the party members and stuck to starter tank Cassandra, annoying elf archer because upgrading varric's crossbow was even more annoying, then I endlessly alternated between the two dude mages trying to figure out which was better and came up with no conclusion.

Then there were those mounts which were completely useless for any reason whatsoever except that one skippable side quest that required a mount.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Pattonesque posted:

people think this new character is going to be Sera in Space

a lot of people didn't like Sera

the character is to be despised on sight

Literally this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I've realised what it is that looks funny about that ME:A asari chick you'll have in the party.

It looks like a CGI version of someone cosplaying as an asari warrior. I can't explain it but that's my impression.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

ME3 multiplayer off-host had lots of weird issues, the Vanguard bug was just the most prominent.

Tons. It was pretty great when the networking was ok but usually Vanguard was too unreliable (you'd rubber band and glitch or die) and Infiltrator sniper headshots wouldn't reliably land either. Which was a pity because the Geth Infiltrator was amazing when the network gods smiled on you.

The best class that would always work even with massive lag and everything bugging out was the humble Human Engineer. You just power spammed from cover with auto aiming stuff and sent out drones. Reliable, easy but nowhere near as fun as the cloaking & minelaying Geth sniper.
(when it worked)

Firmly cemented my hate of P2P networking for FPS action games.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Illiterate Clitoris posted:

Never stop preordering, brave goons.

I preordered the collector's boxed edition of Duke Nukem Forever and still have the plastic bust of Duke himself on my shelf :dukedog:

It was the only good thing in the box. :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I thought the Architect was the best DA villain in the Origins DLC because the nature of his villainy was ambiguous and you could choose to work with him even over the objections of your token dwarf.

Plus creepy, articulate, interesting etc.