Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

Casey Hudson was quoted days before ME3 launched that there wasn't a 'press the button' choice at the end.

He was right, stop misrepresenting him!

There were three buttons at the end. Totally different. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I hope there are still bitter and twisted mass effect fans living in vain hope their sweet waifu tali will return so they can enjoy her rancid space suit sweat in ten years time from now.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Xander77 posted:

More importantly, they had to cut out most of the stuff that was supposed to give the primary antagonists some shred of personality.

Man, a gaming food thread would actually be pretty cool. Would give me the motivation to try out the bread recipe from Arcanum.

Try the bread recipe from Ultima 7 where you use a bucket of blood instead of a bucket of water to cook a loaf.

Then feed your human blood bread to that child soldier you recruit in the starting city. You're the avatar of virtue so it must be the correct thing to do.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

you know what else was rushed together in 18 months? Fallout: New Vegas. Makes you think

Look it's unfair to compare mass effect to actual good games, furthermore

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ditty bout my clitty posted:

The gamebryo engine is like ever more shiny tarp being wrapped around the same rotting maggot-ridden corpse.

A fancy suit on a rotting body that's spent a week floating face down getting nibbled by fishes and now washed up and the gulls are having a go at it.

But the suit isn't even all that fancy and the more time you spend looking at it the faster you realize it was one of those cheapo bargain bin 3 piece suit jobs that looks like plastic with stitching guaranteed to come undone.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Thanatosian posted:

Assuming I enjoyed the first three games quite a bit... Is Andromeda worth getting on sale for the singleplayer? Or am I better off pretending the series ended with 3?

Ask yourself this: "If this game didn't have Mass Effect in the prefix would I still want to play it?".

If you still want to play it go look for a copy under 10 bucks in some bargain bin.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

fruit on the bottom posted:

IIRC that's a problem with the engine, right? The same engine that EA mandates for all its games.

So expect that in all BioWare games from now on

All 2 remaining BioWare games that is.

Another Dragon Age and Anthem which will probably be the last products they squeeze out, grunting and straining, before EA decides the developer brand is sufficiently worthless to merit the Bullfrog & Westwood Studios treatment.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQaMQCVQkI4

I wish they'd stop making sequels to this tired old genre of Aladdins flying murder carpets as they reshape the land in furious battles with dragons and fortresses.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

"If you let Anthem kill us, you'll be killing these future babies!"

Send in Chief Bromden with a pillow and let's suffocate this sickness before it gets any worse than it already is.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I simply want to see people shoveling lime into the corpse trench where Bioware will end up, tossed atop the rotting remains of Bullfrog et al.

They haven't released anything objectively good this decade and it's all been coasting on past glory. That currency runs out.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I feel Mass Effect as an IP is pretty much spent. The only way to potentially revitalise would be to return to the content format & direction of the original game. Whether that be some sort of sequel or reimagining. Won't happen though.

After the Anthem flop and leadership / talent departure what cards they still have are riding all-in on DA4 (which may not even get finished). Then into the vault the IP goes, barring a miracle.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ainsley McTree posted:

let obsidian do it

If we're going to dream then I'd rather Obsidian made Tyranny 2. Only in full high budget, no expenses spared 3D.

Pattonesque posted:

Just not the outer worlds team

Also this.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I think what we've reached a general consensus on is we'd rather be playing actual good games made by other development teams.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I'd rather the Russian developers who made Everreach: Project Eden try their hand at the ME series than anyone still at Bioware.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

chaosapiant posted:

What’s this game? I’ve never heard of if.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/915670/Everreach_Project_Eden/

BTW I'm not endorsing it or anything. Nor have I played it. I was trying to make a comment to the effect of "I would rather trust a hundred different unknown indie dev teams to deliver if given the chance than I would trust Bioware".

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Torrannor posted:

I will buy this because I have no self control and love the Mass Effect series, just like I will buy Dragon Age 4.

My favorite part of ME:A was the bit where I discovered the space APC didn't have any weapons and needed a gear change to go up a gentle incline. What was yours?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

Turns out it was all the Quarians who died instead of the Geth, and the galaxy rejoiced.

Remember the Tali fans in ME:2 who would get her exiled from the fleet specifically so she would have nowhere else to go and would thus be forced to live on the Normandy with Shepard forever?

Peppridge Farms remembers.

The old Bioware forums before they submerged themselves fully into EA were a special brand of putrid but I sort of miss all those displays of public crazy.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ainsley McTree posted:

*6 months later*

"Everman, Ley, Holmes, and Watts resign from bioware under abrupt circumstances"

Nostradamus was reincarnated and this is the proof.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

Honestly more games should do the drakengard "different endings result in different sequels" thing

ME2 was fairly reactionary to your decisions in ME1 when you imported a save. ME3 was mostly a fountain of piss in this regard though.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
When it came out I played ME2 as a shellshocked psycho shepard and didn't hesitate to burn down the refinery with all the workers inside because "well Zaeed is on my fireteam and they aren't so...".

The fact you couldn't even begin to do stuff like that in ME3 or (lol) MEA is precisely why the latter installments were weaker narratively. Technically well I don't think we even need to go there.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

exquisite tea posted:

The Asari contracted some sort of genetic disease that morphed all their faces to be the same.

Their faces were all tired. From the sleep and everything.

*assumes T pose, spins 360 degrees and vanishes through ceiling*

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Dec 15, 2020

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

orange juche posted:

Gotta T pose first though

Now fixed!

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The old bioware forums were a general hive of scum and villainy on all sides, fans and creators alike.

Who else remembers the "what would tali sweat taste like?" thread? Once that topic has sunk in I want you to imagine what anyone would smell like if they lived in a fully enclosed suit 24/7 because I can only imagine the most disgusting everything barely kept in check with a flood of antiseptics.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
*Tali removes envirosuit for the first time in a decade*

*Male_Shep immediately collapses vomiting uncontrollably*

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
All the crew are Jacob, being slightly creeped out by the Fem_Shep coming on a bit too strong and looking for some way to escape the conversation.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
There was that official "alterantive appearance" DLC that gave Miranda & Jack actual good outfits. If I recall it was full body armor (actual armor) and a cyber-biker costume respectively.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I fully expect ME4 to look reasonably like ME1 but the characters & writing will be so off it may as well be something entirely different called Galactic Dinner Service in a game about a space diner.

We'll have mandatory_turian who alternates between ultra serious or jive, mandatory_krogan who sounds like dime store Marcus Fenix only nobody remembers who that is anymore, mandatory_asari who will be super ridiulously quirky funny joke girl haha who is also space university professor, then a couple of diverse_human whose settings will turned up to "cringe". Oh and token_self_insert_new_alien who is only in there because the new lead writer thought them up and forced their inclusion over all internal objections. Token_self_insert_new_alien will get more lines and cutscenes than any other squad mate but be mysteriously unpopular with the players.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
You can't re-use any assets from Andromeda in a good ME game because that would require still using the Frostbite engine instead of something actually suitable, like Unreal.

They'll be making it in the Forstbite engine.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kilus aof posted:

The end mission of Andromeda is just Mass Effect 1's end mission with some names changed.

Well that and a hundred times worse because it was reimagined by a high schooler using pencils who didn't do a single drawing class.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I can see the ending of MEA being pretty reasonable if you didn't play ME1 or ME2. Less said about the ending of ME3 the better.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I only respect video game writers who are creative enough to use things like traffic light colors for their endgame inspiration.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

kilus aof posted:

How that work out? One pre-fab structure and three things to scan on each planet. What can you do to make that better? Four pre-fab structures and 12 things to scan on each planet? And do that 100 times.

Original vision: Dynamic procedurally generated everything including worlds, enemy attacks, economy, etc etc.

Delivery: 3 prefabs and a single mission, nothing new to scan after the first or second map I mean planet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
ME1 at least let you feel like you were on some barren uncharted world. MEA didn't impact much of anything other than "at least they sort of tried, I guess".

Talent to bring it all together wasn't there and probably still isn't. Concept good, execution bad.