Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~
So swapping between the six classes on the fly looks a little weird. I wonder how that works. I was under the impression that you could just pick from a list of powers.

Is it more like a jobs system from a Final Fantasy game? Where you have to level up the classes to unlock more powers? That sounds like something really hard to balance between overpowered or spread too thin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

This was the best. After two full games of puffing the Prothean's and their tech up as some kind of Holy Grail, it all gets upended and their last survivor is like, "I'm just a shootman, I can't really help you do more than put bullets in things."

Liara's utter exasperation with him was good to.

He also explains that the Prothean being such an expansive empire meant that they acted like pretty much every other expansive empire in history, which was kind of nice to see.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Produces one of the best moments in the entire series.

I usually go orphan route each time myself, but I love the idea that a protagonist has a healthy, caring relationship with a parent who does not at any point get pulled into some meaningless death for cheap melodrama.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

chiasaur11 posted:

That's the funny thing about Kai Leng.

There's a bunch of that in the game already.

Thane talks about how lovely he is to lose to a dying drell. Bailey stops him by hacking the elevator. And Shepard spends the whole last encounter talking about how he's a whiny little loser.

I think a decent chunk of the writing team thought of him the same way the played does. It's just that it wasn't unanimous.

He still gets some obnoxious moments and his design was unforgivable, but I do agree that the characters, at least at the end, admitted what a pathetic little writer's pet he was.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

exquisite tea posted:

Miranda has a solid, complete arc in ME2 and then just kind of... shows up for ME3. You can see a lot of the logistical problems with attempting to write characters over the course of three games where their actions and even whether they're alive or dead are in question. Liara has the same thing going on in ME2 where the bulk of her character development comes in an intercessional DLC, and then she contributes almost nothing to driving the plot in ME3 besides repeatedly getting owned by Javik. Two characters who really should have had their arcs closed off in the second game, but because we have to bring everybody back for callback purposes, they're still around, asking Shepard to do stuff. Meanwhile Jack had a really nice resolution to her character, as did Mordin and Samara, so it's a mixed bag.

Agreed. In general I liked what the did with the returning characters, but some just didn't really go anywhere. Like Kasumi, Zaeed, Ashley (not Kaiden, because he kind of grew a personality), and especially Jacob who remained as boring as ever.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Perhaps one day Bioware will learn to adapt real human faces to create something that doesn't look like it was made of rejected silly putty.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Bioware said it was because Engineer's always been by far the least-played class in every game in the series.

In 3, it's a class with a hugely versatile toolkit. You have a power for every occasion and barely need a gun.

Yeah. The name makes you think it's all about debuff and hacks, but it's more of a classic mage than any Adept.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Tiny Deer posted:

As if that isn't already the case.

Do you think it's a coincidence all the Council races are bipeds with features the asari find fuckable? Is it a 'coincidence' the race that just happens to resemble the asari the most got a Council seat years ahead of less asari-esque species?!

Wake up, people! The only reason humanity didn't get genophaged was because the asari want our pinkish-brownish sexy women!! Humans are the token sexy alien race!

Creepy and accurate. We're the weird sex monsters mimicking the others. No wonder the others are kind of freaked out by us.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Skippy McPants posted:

Except that the NPCs in ME:A is better written and developed than those in ME: 1. Not that I'm saying the Andromeda cast is perfect, but the attachment people have to original ME crew was build over the span of three games. It's unfair to expect a similar degree of rapport after a single title. ME:A to DA:I is a better comparison, as they're both freshmen teams (minus Varric) and Inquisition makes a much better first impression.

Also, your examples are terrible. The IWD NPCs weren't even trying to be characters. They had no written lines of dialogue or memorable traits. And Minsc, while memorable, is mostly the result of his development during BG 2. In the first Baldur's Gate his character is a lot more sparse.

ME1 Garrus was extremely bland and Tali was a Wikipedia article on quarians.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

It's by far the worst entry in the series, including the badly rushed ME3. However it's not a terrible game and if not for its brand pedigree it would be a cautiously optimistic C+ from a new studio.

That's a long-winded way of saying 70.

From what I can tell, the gameplay overall seems improved, but the storyline, characters, and especially dialogue have taken a steep nosedive into straight up embarrassing territory.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

hard counter posted:

sure let me update the post to take out masterpiece and ambitious

it does look more right yeah but i'd want to bold very because there's a whole lot you have to nip out before you pull a solid 7/10 from that ghost child/kai leng/crucible/organosynthetic infested mess imho but i accept that exquisite tea sees something in it i don't, aside from the multiplayer and citadel dlc

really the most damning lesson of andromeda is how it it makes everything else bioware has done look that much better

Sadly true. DAII starts to look good compared to Andromeda's writing. Sure, it's not as offensive as ME3's pretentious ending or magical macguffin, but it's flatly worse overall.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually don't mind it with the Asari who wear them, because they're aliens after all. Maybe they have a harder tolerance for Vacuum/exotic atmosphere? :shrug:

It is completely stupid having the human characters running around a derelict Reaper in deep space with just a breathing mask though.

Jack walking in a toxic atmosphere wearing tattoos and a belt bra made more than a few scenes ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

So.. game .. bad?

Game not good, but not abysmal.