Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Geth are also like the single lore species you couldn't justify (along with the Awakened Collector I guess). Everyone else could feasibly have tagged along for shits and giggles but the Geth are literally at war with all the milky way species when they launched the initiative (especially since they 'attacked the Citadel' with Sovereign) and they would have 0 reason to cooperate if they did end up in Andromeda.

You could probably still have them as an enemy faction if you said they just sent out a ship to explore andromeda like one hundred years previous for some reason. But that'd be weird and kinda dumb.

On the other hand they did the Awakened Collector in ME3 along with the Cerberus dudes so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
The biggest stumbling block for adding things to multi is basically going to be if they exist as models in the game and can be repurposed like EDI/the Geth/Volus etc. I'm pretty sure the only things added to multi that never appeared in SP are the Collectors which were ported from ME2.

I'd expect a lot of random Andromedan races and more variations on confirmed species before we'll see old poo poo they need to make new models for. I mean, hell; the Drell model is just literally Thane, Volus is the generic Volus, Infil model is EDI etc.

Zore fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Feb 19, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

Ahhh yes, Mass Effect DLC.

For when you want to gently caress new aliens, but also get hosed by Bioware.

The only new thing you can gently caress in a ME3 DLC is James.

Drifter posted:

Why would they need story hooks to bring in extra characters if it's just for MP? The story hooks would be necessary for story dlc.

Because like ME3 the MP is tied into the story? Like... there's a bunch of lore and poo poo they tied into multi and from all indications they're doing that again.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

I always assumed the ME3 multiplayer was what I did as a single player during Citadel, except with real people instead of bots. Are there "story missions" in the multiplayer, or do they just tie it into the game through play points or some such?

You play as teams Hackett is dispatching to combat Cerberus/the Reapers/Reaper controlled Geth as part of the war effort. All the original multi maps show up as missions in Single player (Firebase White is a Cerberus lab Shepard raided, MP dudes are sent in as a strike team to do X as followup etc). It also effects the endings you can get in SP as the more missions you do the better the war goes so more war assets count towards the finale. Like on release you could only get the Shepard lives ending by playing a bunch of multi because they're weren't enough war assets in the base game alone. Hell you can retire a max level character and they become a permanent SP war asset like Jack or Kirrahe etc.

They've similarly said the Andromeda multi will be about teams doing things in locations Ryder scouted and you get SP bonuses for playing multi.

Zore fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 20, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Schubalts posted:

Hey man, you were only a blood relative of one romance option in Fates. :colbert:

Two, if you romanced said relative's child. :shepface:

Yeah, that doesn't really make it better since there are also 8 people who consider you a sibling (with 4 literally believing they're proposing/being proposed to by a blood sibling until you get a dead mom deus ex letter telling you you can bone since you're not directly related)

Also you can marry their 4 kids which is even more since you don't get deus ex mom letter so you're just marrying your niece/nephew :shepface:

Zore fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Feb 20, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

frajaq posted:

One of the skills is still unknown, have they talked about how to unlock these? Are some supposed to be secret?

There's no Tech armor so it could be that, its the only class specialty skill missing.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Bloody Pom posted:

I think Eej is specifically asking for a bolt action style rifle without a scope. Like a Space Mosin-Nagant rather than a Space Garand.

The closest is probably the Blood Pack Executor pistol with its single shot heat clips. I think its the only non-sniper rifle with that feature in ME3.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I would be very surprised if Andromeda permitted any reviews in advance of its release.

Uh they're literally coming out tomorrow so...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Jeza posted:

I mean, I sure hope their nod to Witcher 3 as a big influence is more than lip service, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm unsure if Bioware has the level of talent required to mimic what made W3 good without somehow making it kitsch and lowest common denominator. Like, nobody can play DA:I and not think that loving billions of hours have gone into this, buckets of polish and so on. Yet it feels like a shallow anachronism compared to Witcher 3. I started playing Witcher 3 two-thirds through DA:I. I was rather enjoying it, but the moment I played Witcher 3 I just dropped it and never came back. It was like a loving paradigm shift.

I will never understand what people see in the Witcher franchise. 3 is still the only game I've gotten a steam refund for because it was so loving bad.

The combat is atrocious, Geralt is like an over the top parody (he's super sexy and lives basically forever and all the women he meets just throw themselves at him but its cool because he's magically infertile) etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Didn't someone ask on twitter if the people in Andromeda had to deal with synthetic uprisings and got a flat no?

It was specifically that the Reapers were only a Milky Way thing and weren't in Andromeda.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Lt. Danger posted:

It would also be extremely creepy if posters described in detail how much they enjoyed hurting aliens and mercenaries and how much they are looking forward to discovering new kinds of bad guys to maim and kill.

That was like, half the thread around ME2.

People got really into the interrupts where you set dudes on fire, or where you stabbed that one merc engineer with the electric cattle prod etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Fried Watermelon posted:

Are the Dragon Age and Mass Effect universes linked

Yes. Lyrium is Element Zero.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kurieg posted:

And like the article says, you can boost your weight cap with an ability in the combat tree and there is no level cap.

So are there random encounters or are we in a 'theoretically there's no level cap, but there's only actually so much EXP in the game'.

I still remember ME1 taking like 2 and 1/2 playthroughs to hit 60 because there just wasn't enough EXP in the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Am i seriously the only one who sees reused assets here?

... yeah?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

That is not a robo-dino it's just a dino with robo-parts.

Anyway, trophies are up: https://www.exophase.com/game/mass-effect-andromeda-psn/trophies/

Well, at least we know what the special Tech power is now.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Alan Is More Upset posted:

It's a shame that I can name my character "Assface" in Fallout 4 and have it voiced but can't even change the text for the last name in ME:A.

"Look out weedWeedWEEDLORD69 it's a revenant shuttle!"

I mean, one character actually calls you by name in Fallout 4. Its a little different in Mass Effect.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

This might sound kind of "glass half-full" but I did spend a lot of time getting materials to craft armor and weapons for all of my companions in DA:I

And it was a pain to juggle weapons for companions in ME1 too

Maybe this isn't a bad thing?

Its probably the neatest way to handle it now that we've moved back to individual weapons and weapon drops instead of pre-placed unique unlocks. Its dumb, but honestly most way to handle it in this system are gonna be kludgey as gently caress.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kurieg posted:

There was a hidden 7th squadmate, whether it's still in the game or if it was that one Salarian that got axed hasn't come out yet.

The 7th wasn't the Salarian for what its worth. No guarantee they're still in though.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Mass Effect 3 is Aliens 3.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Norns posted:

The mass effect 3 ending was a dumpster fire and they deserved all the poo poo they got for it.

Nah.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

I really can't think of any worse subset of fans than an entrenched Nintendo only product.

I'm honestly unsure how you can say this when there are literally Witcher 3 fans in this very thread.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

When you guys say "it went too far" did people get killed over the ME3 ending or do you just mean they complained about it on the internet?

They started harassing people tangentially involved with the game in really creepy and uncomfortable ways.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

For example? Like they tweeted at them that the ending sucked or they tweeted at them that the ending sucked and I know where you live?

Like they threatened to rape female employees and sent pictures of her house.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Was Inquisition really supposed to be a MMO?

This keeps being brought up but is there evidence or just conjecture from the MMO style gameplay?

This is what people get that from

quote:

Speaking to GamesIndustry, BioWare’s Mark Darrah explained that when BioWare first started working with the Frostbite engine, it built a multiplayer prototype.

“We actually had a project code-named Blackfoot which was the first game we had that was looking at Frostbite. It was a Dragon Age game, multiplayer only, that was in development before Dragon Age 2 came out,” he said.

The tech BioWare built for this prototype was later recycled.

“That became the core of what became Dragon Age Inquisition, the techlines, more than any of the development, so we’ve actually been looking at this a long time,” Darrah continued.

It snowballed into 'Inquisition was originally an MMO!!!' because the internet plays telephone like anything else.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

I might be remembering it incorrectly it's been ages, but couldn't you kinda undo the genophage in ME1/2 then in ME3 they're like "it wasn't quite undone I guess, do you want to do it again?"

Also then I guess it didnt matter cause starchild blew up the Galaxy and paragon femshep became a reaper goddess.

No. You could save or destroy Maelon's research on the genophage but he wasn't curing it yet. And that does affect a few things in ME3 w/r/t the cure.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
People here fetishize ME2 to a really weird degree.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Who would have guessed a lot of people in a Mass Effect thread love the best game in the series? if 1 had better combat or 3 wasn't rushed this might be different but I get it.

2 was so restrictive though and had arguably the worst insanity in the series.

Making everything have shields or armor and then making shields and armor provide immunity from most of the fun powers was the worst. It also incentivized bringing along garbage squadmates by gimping the cool ones (see: Miranda v. Mordin). Also had a small selection of weapons and locked 3 classes to pistols only until 2/3rds of the way through the game. Or the all or nothing Paragon/renegade system which was at its absolute worst.

It did a lot of things right, but mechanically it is hard to go back and play.

Also loving locking Legion to endgame is inexcusable :colbert:

Zore fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Mar 14, 2017

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

FunkMonkey posted:

I also hated Solas but he had a permanent position in my late game group because he was the only healer I had.

... He wasn't a healer and literally every mage can do the barrier thing. You couldn't heal with magic in Inquisition, only with potions.

The best 'healing' was forging weapons for everyone with +armor on hit.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
Sera had an interesting philosophy, but would have worked much better as a recurring antagonist for the Inquisitor. Her personality and ethos doesn't mesh with what you're doing at all and having her work self-destructively against you as you accumulate power could have been interesting as she turns the common people against you.

Like, she works perfectly in that role and not at all as a normal companion.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

WanderingKid posted:

The gently caress? Anders is a literal terrorist.

A lot of Bioware companions are literal terrorists or worse tbf.

Like Zaeed, Morinth, Ya Zhen, Thane, Miranda...

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Merrill has healing spells I think too? or was healing locked behind one of the specializations? I can't remember how DA2 worked

She has the normal healing spells, not the Spirit Healing specialization that lets you revive etc.

Which is more than enough with potions for DA2.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
1) Its probably not a bug

2) The only part that really gets me is the eyes. The rest of the face stuff is honestly pretty whatever, but the eyes are bugfuck crazy and distracting in a really weird way.

:psyduck:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I gotta say, the engineer powers look really fun to combo with the jetpack in this multi stream.

I might play a tech character for once.

Like they're really leaning into the space wizard aesthetic with blasts of fire, lightning, ice etc.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Ainsley McTree posted:

Is there any chance this can be chalked up to everyone being low level with no gear yet?

Yeah, basic enemies definitely aren't taking an entire magazine on any of the streams I've seen.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Normandy bridge

Tempest bridge

I counted two 2-story environments within the Tempest as well. Some people said single-player MMO?

I do not understand how this indicative of a single-player MMO?

its... bigger therefore MMO?

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah, MMOGs tend to have very high 3rd-person cameras so environments have to be huge to accommodate the camera, and also potentially large groups of people. It's a style thing. But there's really no reason to have sections of your spaceship look like an airport lounge, from an aesthetic or gameplay perspective.

I mean, there are a lot of reasons to have it that way from an aesthetic perspective. Contrasting with the dark, cramped military environs of both Normandys is a bright and spacious Tempest which contrasts the two games.

:shrug: I mean, there are a lot of things wrong with the game. We don't need to be weird and nitpicky about stuff.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

If you have the time to invest in playing then there's nothing worth putting the Witcher 3 off for. You might be one the very small number of people that just isn't into it but it's seriously the best RPG on the market.

Its combat is atrocious though. Man it made me bounce off that game like nothing else

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Were you playing on mouse and keyboard? Just curious.

Yeah,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Kirios posted:

I didn't realize Giant Bomb made a video.

So I watched 20 minutes of the video.

Dude, stop defending this game. It doesn't look that good.

The Giant Bomb video made me realize 2 things.

1) the game looks pretty bad

2) Giant Bomb is full of loving idiots who I'm impressed can tie their goddamn shoes in the morning. Holy poo poo some of their play, and criticism, was insanely stupid even as they ignored actual real issues in front of their faces.

like goddamn.