Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Take me to Andromeda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Moola posted:

the combat in me1 is more interesting than in Inquisition

It's plodding if you don't quite understand the ins and outs of it, and just boring when you do.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm trying to import old ME2 saves to a new installation of ME2 (copy and paste). Some of them work fine, some don't (game crashes). Anything obvious I could be overlooking?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did Legion's Shepard-stalking aspect, that was in the early marketing materials, ever get clarified in some behind-the-scenes?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Did the console versions of ME2 have no indicators of cooldowns outside the ability wheel?

Cause I don't see any when playing with the PC controller mod (it's awesome that someone managed to enable support).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hannibal Smith posted:

After you use a power a couple of half-circles appear around your cross hairs and start moving together. That's the cool down. When they meet, you can use another ability.

Thanks a bunch totally missed it.

Lt. Danger posted:

Mass Effect 2 is very nearly the Platonic ideal of a video game.

Doesn't have a (stat preserving) helmet toggle, though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Could've sworn it did, under gameplay in options. Settings for on, off in conversations, and always off.

I would've sworn the same yesterday, but

I think they removed it after ME1, and brought it back in ME3.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alain Post posted:

I thought the helmet thing was in the armor kiosk thing in your cabin in ME2 but I might be mistaken.

You can take off your helmet, but you lose the associated buff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Reclaimer posted:

Not that I agree with that sentiment, buuut https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUydx57te9s - Mike Thornton's Greatest Hits

Obsidian should do a Telltale-style game. Or should have tried when it still had the resources.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Ebon Hawk was basically as big as a hub needs to be. The Normandy roll-call wasted too much time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I haven't been following coverage too closely. Has there been more than a few seconds of combat footage?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Zzulu posted:

They look weird because they're badly animated, which stands out further now that the faces are more realistic. I only saw bits of the new gameplay trailer but when the player character pulls the gun from the henchman it was just real bad. Completely dead eyes and stoic expression while the VA is all passionate and stuff. It's pretty clear dissonance

Still, this could still be improved for release but probably not unless they delay the game

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I think Hale also sold the renegade badass much better.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What's with the "meme game" accusations?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

Bioware's writing team has been infiltrated by lovely Joss Whedon knockoffs that layer their monkey cheese filth on top of the generally excellent and interesting work done by the lore and world building teams.

But nothing particular to Andromeda yet?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

No classes, so everyone can be vanguard! What's to nerf when everyone has the power?

I don't think that's how it'll work. You probably can't have all or even more than one or two of the (formerly) Class abilities at once.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Novaria was my favorite. But it's been ages since I played it, probably forgetting some stuff.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alain Post posted:

It's awesome that Mass Effect and Mass Effect 3 both have godawful first chapters, and Mass Effect 2's opening is loving incredible to make up for it

What's so great about ME2's opening? The miraculous resurrection is basically ignored for the rest of the game.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alain Post posted:

It just kind of immediately gets the gently caress going while immediately setting up short-term and long-term conflicts for Shepard while more importantly keeping the pace up. ME2 may be the best paced game ever made.

Pacing an open world game seems hard/impossible.

Lt. Danger posted:

It's a basic death-rebirth Campbellian trope so I'd've been surprised if Bioware didn't use it.

Also there are a bunch of dull conversations about Shepard's resurrection and Cerberus recruitment in ME3 specifically to address all the fans who moaned about it not popping up enough in ME2.

Didn't have to pop up as a dull conversation. Could of been more in the vein of what Overlord touched on.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A Buff Gay Dude posted:

they might have been using it for some other eventually unused plot point

That's what I always suspected.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Alain Post posted:

That would be more boring and probably require a long rear end intro with a lot of talking, and also wouldn't work with a Paragon Shepard.

Tbh, what they went with doesn't work great either.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Their crunch time is supposedly particularly exhausting.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

CDPR is an exception because they own GOG, which helps to sustain their own development in a way that other small European studios cannot do without the backing of a big publisher. Blizzard, Valve, et al. all get to do what they want to do because they have their own lucrative distribution service.

Pretty sure GOG is a rather small part of their revenue. Their general game distribution business is bigger (they were pioneers in Eastern Europe, very effective at competing w/ rampant software piracy by offering good value/quality localization), and at this point game development might eclipse even that.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

Have you considered that you just don't like traditional RPGs?

This as a defense of ME1's combat?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Is the combat better with a controller?I've only every played on pc, where it's loose and awkward af.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Moola posted:

me1 is a real dang good rpg

I have trouble stomaching it nowadays.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chomp8645 posted:

I'd have trouble stomaching most games made in 2007 nowadays.

I still enjoy plenty of older games.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Of games I can think of made back in 2007/2008, you could do worse than Mass Effect. A lot of the issues people have with it stem from the PC port just being a horribly unoptimized piece of crap.

When I do get to replaying ME1 (not for a while), I'm gonna try out the controller mod.

http://me3explorer.freeforums.org/me1-controller-support-power-wheel-t2036.html

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Wouldn't it be neat if Bioware games were more open to modding?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I don't remember the light side options being particularly stupid (but it's been a while). The dark side ones were cartoonishly evil, but that's fine for the setting.

ME1 had some actually proper evil Shepard choices didn't it? Before they moved Renegade more into the direction of rule bending badass.

Can't remember much besides turning Carth (little joke there) racist.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Android Blues posted:

In ME1 Renegade is consistently space racist, like all the racist options are Renegade and the Renegade path with Kaidan is turning him into a racist. It seems baffling that they thought players would be compelled by a good/racist duality, but they learned the lesson in future games.

Shithead Shepard should be a viable path!

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So, you want EA to buy out Obsidian. Thankfully, while Obsidian is still around, their talent is splitting off to make other studios, so even if Obsidian dies, its creative leads are still working.

Who's splitting off? Last Obsidian news I heard was that most of their MMO division was shutting down (which made up a very big part of their workforce)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Hank Morgan posted:

Zaeed lives.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mike the TV posted:

I got the itch to play ME1, so I bought it on Steam after having it on xbox years ago. I can't seem to figure out how to get Bring Down the Sky though. Is it even possible? Googling it feels like an archaeological dig through dead links to bioware redemption pages.

afair, it's much easier to do through Origin, and you can use your Steam CD key to redeem it on Origin. I did this some time ago.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Android Blues posted:

Despite the awkward trailer, I'm still so gosh darn excited for this game. I strongly suspect that even if it's flawed, there'll be enough really good stuff to make it enjoyable.

Even just DA:I with fun combat would be a decent time waster.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

"Wait. Why do you need to be an ultra-feared hardass to just.."

Kind of the problem with the entire Paragon/Renegade system.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

ME2 Vaunguard on insanity is not a good time.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

marshmallow creep posted:

Disagree, but I can understand why you would feel that way.

inflatable fish posted:

my first playthrough on insanity was with a vanguard and it was a cakewalk

I must be missing something, or you didn't use the main power very often (or used that shotgun reload glitch).

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Reclaimer posted:

Reave is a good bonus power that allows you to hang back sometimes, though it does involve hanging out with that Space Holden Caulfield motherfucker to get.

I always brought Jack for free warp ammo too and to set up biotic explosions on charging.

Followers die so quickly on insanity, but I was never great at managing them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Kingtheninja posted:

Are the ME all available on pc to play?

ME3 requires EA's Origin platform.