Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

DrNutt posted:

Yeah but in ME 1-3 you were Commander Shepard, a veteran military officer with a ton of experience. And you still got called Commander and Shepard most of the time. Imagine if you played those games and everybody shot their load when they met you and exclaimed "a Spectre! Oh gosh, we're saved!"

ME1 was the first modern RPG I played, and I remember walking out of Spectre induction and wondering why everyone was saying "COMMANDER SHEPARD, I NEED YOUR HELP" and "SPECTRE, THIS WAY" and whatever. You've got the Indian guy who wants his wife's body back, the crime boss lady who wants to take out the competition, Emily Wong waves you down multiple times, that's not to mention all the people who are all but yelling "GOSH I SURE NEED HELP TOO BAD THERE'S NOBODY AROUND" like Admiral Kahoku, the Elcor ambassador who has issues with the Consort, the maintenance people on Feros, etc.

So yeah the old games were like this too and if you don't think so, go replay them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
EDIT: I don't remember if you can get banned for fake comedy spoilers but not going to test to find out

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Here's a link to what he's probably talking about : http://bsn.boards.net/thread/5088/dun-somewhat-big-story-spoilers
^^^^ these may be massive spoilers or may not, I dunno, could be bullshit interpretation but click at your own risk goons

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Mar 17, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Codependent Poster posted:

Don't post major spoilers in a thread where the game isn't even out yet. Jesus Christ.

At least people aren't posting page after page of "GIVE UP THE SPOILERS" anymore so mission accomplished

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

2house2fly posted:

Why not just have a spoiler thread and a non-spoiler thread? IIRC that worked out very well last time...

Maybe once it unlocks because there really aren't any spoilers out yet. Maybe that forum I linked to has some but I didn't see any thread which seemed like someone figured out something really major like "Sovereign is a Reaper" or "The Collectors are Prothean" or something that tier of spoiler. It was all :speculate:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Comstar posted:

In ME1 you choose a back story that does say you were a goddamm hero for Humanity at some point. Something that ME:A seems to go out of it's way to make sure you weren't before it was thrust upon you, but everyone is still acting like you were.

Once I met a legit war hero who served in Desert Storm, and I asked him to place a bug in an air traffic control center. Then he helped settle an abortion dispute. He was quite the guy, no wonder they awarded him a Bronze Star.

then he cheated at a slot machine and was stripped of his medal.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Mar 17, 2017

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

guys mass effect one was really bad too

guys it was really bad

ten years ago, they made a bad game

it's okay for this game, made ten years later, to be the same

no i can't defend this game without bringing down the rest of the series

I'm not saying it's bad, but it's a trope of RPGs. Seriously go play The Witcher 3 without having people talk about how it's great that you're a Witcher because something needs killing. They're called sidequests.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

2house2fly posted:

KOTOR2's twist was better at the time, but every drat game breaks the fourth wall and lines up the disconnect between your gameplay actions and the story nowadays so it wouldn't have the same punch

The worst offender I've seen recently was (visual novel incoming) Virtue's Last Reward where Akane is talking to you, yes YOU, because you now control the PC. I mean it was a weird game but that was the icing on the cake.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Crabtree posted:

Nah, the ending was just a bogus way to conclude the Shepard games for a lot of folks that BioWare tried to fight and got even more burned by it. Andromeda so far is people laughing at what's there but still buying and rolling with it, some even liking it. If it gets even worse and the ending is like tied behind season pass bullshit though? Oh man, there is a good chance this could be worse than the ME3 ending slapfight.

Locking the Real Ending behind DLC is a Bioware tradition. Citadel, Arrival, Trespasser, Legacy, Witch Hunt, and Pinnacle Station.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

That's a Krogan Zaeed

:allears:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Fojar38 posted:

yeah that worried asian ryder owns

He looks like he woke up from that dream where it's final exam day and you forgot you signed up for the class and so haven't been going all semester.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Gul Du-kett :argh:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Walrus Pete posted:

To be fair the gifs are hilarious and the animations don't look any better in context, but shockingly that doesn't mean the game can't be fun :monocle:

No graphical glitches mean a game is bad. Proof:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
By the way I skipped the 500 pages between yesterday afternoon and this morning, did the goon who said "I just got spoilers and it retroactively ruined Mass Effect 1-3" ever pony up?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

They linked to stuff which was speculation based on spoilery things that happened in the trial section.

I think that was me trying to find anything which would make a goon so upset, and it was still stretching it.

When what really upset them was when goons stopped caring about that "The Persecution and Assassination of Bioware as Performed by the Inmates of the Asylum of Edmonton Under the Direction of the Mac de Walters" diatribe.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Serf posted:

The Initiative didn't leave fleeing the Reapers, which would have made a fuckload more sense, no they left because they just wanted to gently caress off to another galaxy because some human CEO thought it would be cool.

And that CEO's name? Armistan Banes.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I hear the lake on the Nexus is filled with fish.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Hulk Krogan posted:

I vaguely remember something from either ME2 or ME3 about the Krogans redirecting asteroids to use as interplanetary ballistic missiles when they were at war with the other council races - am I confusing that with some other half-baked sci fi thing?

No but famously The Moon is a Harsh Mistress used that, as well as Babylon 5 and probably who knows what else.

EDIT: and of course Bring Down The Sky

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Daztek posted:

You wake up from your coma as OtherRyder and the whole of ME:A was just a story your sibling told you

Tell us another story about the Ryder, grandpa

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Someone streaming the ME2 suicide mission on Twitch just picked Jacob for the vents because he volunteered :allears:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

I was wrong, he sent Mordin in the vents. :stonk:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Clawtopsy posted:

thats good

it was v dumb how ME2 punished new players by removing the best krogan

ftr i was asking about the witcher 3 not this garbage fire

Witcher 3 "technically" has an import state but the effects are so minor that I never even noticed them.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

gmq posted:

I'm also really liking the verticality of the game, jumping everywhere is awesome even if air a couple of meters above ground is radioactive apparently. :shobon:

Presumably you are outside the radiation shield thing.

Now the streamer picked Grunt to lead the second fire team. :allears:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
So apparently the embargo changed and now you can play on three planets? Ok then

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

marshmallow creep posted:

Note, when you have a quest to go find people in the desert, don't forget your car, because parts of the quest can be timed. :v:

And those save points :allears: though I'm not sure where I would have put one. Probably where you pick up the transmission. Maaaybe near the site.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Drifter posted:

Oh, I'm sorry, did somebody say they were here since '02? :smugbird:

If GMG had a sale for this game at $30 I'd snap it up. But lol at people paying $60 for a multiplayer game with lag up the rear end.

That Horizon's Dawn game looks great, but it's not on PC, so I can't check it out. Unless PSOnline has it for streaming?

I can see why people would want to buy a game, but a fair comparison may be Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (a flawed sequel in a very popular franchise.) That came out in August and has already been as low as $17 last month - on Steam, not a key reseller.

I can't see ME:A staying at $60 for any length of time because EA is going to want copies out the door before brand tarnishes, so people will buy multiplayer packs, etc. There are enough bad reviews that this game isn't going to sell like hotcakes at release, and it has pretty fierce competition with a lot of hot games that have come out recently (like Horizon Zero Dawn or Nier.)

The only reason to pay list is if you think this game is literally going to have The Witcher 3 levels of popularity and not need to go on sale because people are giving money to get something with a ton of GOTY press. You can think ME:A is fun and think it's garbage and I think everyone would agree that this is not going to be that game.

Spend a few months on that backlog and save $40, easy choice.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

obligatory how much did EA pay you (that's probably what he's yelling at his screen right now)

I miss the days when honest game publishers only had to buy call girls for game magazine editors to get them high review scores.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Can I name my female character "Man"?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
During the stream last night, Scott walked into Vetra's quarters and she was talking to her little sister who ~~totally thought Scott was cute~~ aka the same thing that happened in ME1 with Ashley.

Decius posted:

I'm pretty sure we will say the same thing about ME:A a year or two from now. Why do they force all this OW poo poo into these games? Because it's what's the big thing is currently? Didn't see them put lovely QTE when this was all the rage.

They started making this game 5 years ago because OW was a big thing and people were all about games that took hundreds of hours to complete even though most of that was driving your car/riding your horse/killing trash mobs/cookie cutter fetch quests.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Who's that on the far right? I can recognize all others. (Fourth from right is Ashley?)

Eva Core, the robot that Edi takes over

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm definitely naming my male character Dick.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Nelson Mandingo posted:

There is a ton of stuff that is intentionally in to contrast with ME1. Even the squadmates are clearly just opposite-day examples of the human squadmates in ME1. Cora and Liam are reverse Ashely and Kaidan for instance. Vetra is the turian who bends the rules. Peebee is the asari scientist who is scatterbrained compared to Liara's stolid characterization and so on.

Almost like they are there to write poetry, not repeat it.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Norns posted:

Might I suggest Banana?

Too close to Ivana

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bluegoon posted:

Legit question, in SA we have BEE quotas (race/gender levels etc), if you don't meet them you're hosed as a company, do they have employee race/gender quotas in Canada? I'm seeing all these people with absolute poo poo portfolios etc.

Close, Bioware has BAE quotas.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bluegoon posted:

poo poo, OK, can imagine the talent pool is only so big there, and those tax breaks probably applies only when hiring local? Maybe like you said, talent just kind of left.

Montreal made the multiplayer part of ME3. Did they make all of ME:A? I vaguely recall people being happy about this because "multiplayer was the best part of ME3."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Decius posted:

They are the development lead for it, yes. How much of it was done by other parts like Austin or Edmonton or other third party studios and contractors is of course unclear.

Are the opening credits like that Assassin's Creed game (was it Revelations?) that spent fifteen minutes listing all the studios involved in the creation of the game ("Ubisoft FYROM"), because that would be hilarious.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

eonwe posted:

i dont know all the organizational reasons or if it wad bad talent

i just think the game isnt great

Edmonton is the mother ship that made all the games people know and love. Austin did SWTOR.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

bluegoon posted:

OK so I haven't jammed the demo, can you play like in me3 with cover based shooting instead of flying around? My wife said she hates the super zooming and poo poo and with my new TV it's going to make her hurl.

Is there like a regular rear end cover shooting build?

Watching the stream yesterday, it doesn't even look like a cover shooter anymore. You're expected to zoom around and dodge. There looks to be some kind of shield spell/ability you can pick up but it's only temporary. Combined with a tight FOV and yeah it's hurl-inducing if that kind of stuff bothers you.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Mymla posted:

Is the infiltrator bullet time while scoped thing still in?

All bullet time stuff is gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Legs Benedict posted:

she's been an animator for about five years but it's easier to be a piece of poo poo and demean a woman for having a hobby if you're utnayan i think

Did she animate the staring lady?