Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My hot take is this game is gonna own like crazy and the MP will keep me busy for months again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Krogans are boring, I hope they're not in and BioWare instead made another race to be What If Orcs, But Too Much.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Eej posted:

Krogans own and the stupidest thing they did in ME1 was give you an option to kill Wrex because it prevented them from working the actual best character in the series into the main plot more.

Eh, individual Krogans in the games have been great, but the overall idea of the race is kind of boring. That's why I'm hoping there's just a few Krogans that stowed away or whatever, rather than having them be a big presence.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Peebee is probably short for PB-1138 because she spent most of her 100 Asari teenager years in juvie. Her light hearted attitude is a cover for the deep emotional trauma she experienced being beaten up and abused on the regular. Luckily Ryder is there to help her through this journey.

With his dick.

Also killing Wrex makes the first two games worse but makes the third game's Krogan plot way more interesting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
God drat it, I just realized I deleted ME3 from our PS3 to make room for Yakuza 5, and I want so badly to get in some rounds of MP. :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AriadneThread posted:

e: reaper cycle sounds like a very strange setting for your washing machine

ASSUMING DRYER CONTROL

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They should really tie the DA and ME games together by putting Iron Bull in. We know from Kasumi's loyalty mission that they take place in the same universe.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Kurieg posted:

The thing about Sera that pissed me of the most is the scene where she blackmails an elf inquisitor into renouncing their religion if they want to stay in a relationship

That was really bad, but I found Sera's party banter to be pretty good (depending on who else is with you, obviously)

Her accent was a mistake though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

AriadneThread posted:

god save us from comic book nerds and their lust for continuity

Rude.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Nods to other games don't really mean they're canonically in the same universe. Devs do that poo poo all the time.

Get this:

Nothing "really" means anything because these are made up stories!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I assume, or at least hope, that absolutely nobody in here is the Game Theory guy trying to make a claim as to the objective truth of whether two game series "really" take place in the same Universe. Good gravy, y'all.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CottonWolf posted:

They meant travelling around inside Andromeda, rather than getting there in the first place.

I assume they'll just say the Ark Ships can do "jumps" across relatively small distances.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moola posted:

there are good parts to me3 sp, but overall its flat and by the numbers

ME3 is 90% an extremely good game, hampered by being almost unbelievably easy, especially once you play any of the multiplayer.

"Shepard! It's a Banshee! Oh my God! ONE loving BANSHEEEEEE!"

e: And if you don't care about the story stuff in Citadel, it's also worth it for the Battle Arena because it's basically intense solo MP mode

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jack Trades posted:

This guy will make a great game, I bet.

Look, the French just have a weird sense of humor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Majestic posted:

Banshees would only sync kill in one of two modes though. They had their warping mode and their shooting mode, and only one had sync kills enabled. Once you knew that it wasn't so bad.

Yes it was. It was still so bad.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope the gay sex scenes in this are super explicit and make some people uncomfortable, I feel like we're about due for a new "video games are the devil" panic

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's kind of amazing that much of the best dialogue in ME3 was hidden away in NPC-to-NPC conversations that most people just ran past without listening to. I hope they bring that back. Inquisition didn't really have that happen often (at all?)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
What is this obsession with having aliens that look nothing like humans, who cares? This is a Star Trek style universe, everything is bipedal, why does it matter?

The only issue I'm seeing is that the Tekk look almost exactly like the Protheans, to the point that I'm pretty sure it will be revealed that they're the same species.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Thor-Stryker posted:

Aliens that don't look like humans are far more interesting than pansexual squidhead ladies.

I'm not saying I disagree, at all, I'm saying who the flip cares as long as the game and story are good.

And Hanar and Elcor? They're in the games so rarely I literally didn't think of them. There's all of one Hanar in the whole trilogy you ever see in person, you never actually interact with them and their main purpose for existing is for a really terrible joke told very slowly. Elcor I'll grant you look different from humans, but not that much - they still have two arms and two legs (or four legs, two of which look more like arms, whatever).

I'm just saying, some posting is starting to sound like the kind of people who bought Monster Manual 2 and unironically thought Modrons were awesome.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Zzulu posted:

Making sure players have empathy for the aliens is code for making sure the players want to put their penises into the aliens making sure it's generic enough that the design will work for a broader audience

I'm not saying that isn't true, I'm just saying who cares as long as it ends up good and that having weirdo races does literally nothing to increase or decrease the odds of the game being good. The ME series and Bioware in general are things that are expected to have a massive fan base. They stopped playing 2 hour long drunken sets in bars over a decade ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Infinity Gaia posted:

There's at least two or three. I remember at least one in 1 and two in 3. There were probably more in 1 that I'm forgetting, I always only remember the one with the stupid preaching sidequest that I hate because I usually don't have enough Paragon/Renegade points to complete it the ~best way~ on my first trip to the Citadel.

My gaming OCD hates that quest so loving much. It was hard to make myself specifically remember not to talk to him until I had a few missions done.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skippy McPants posted:

Much as I enjoyed the Normandy II, I kinda agree. Especially with the elevators, a whip-round with all your NPCs took way too long.

The castle in Inquisition was WAYYYYY bigger than the Normandy and had almost no loading screens so I think we're good

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crustashio posted:

Is any of the ME3 DLC actually worth it? About to start my replay of that but I haven't touched it since release.

Leviathan is really good. Citadel is a nice victory lap and has the combat room which is the only time combat in the singleplayer will challenge you.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Sweet jacket and haircut on that Jack

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

jfood posted:

I'm one of the six or seven people who played as an Engineer and while I love semi-autos, I loving hate scopes.

I've never understood why nobody picks Engineer, I think it's the second most fun behind Sentinel and those two are also imo the easiest, especially for 2. Incinerate, Overload and the Locust will solve every problem in the game quite quickly.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dexo posted:

Being hyper effective != being fun.

Being a Pingpong ball of death charging around a battlefield or being a biotic god >>> most tech powers.

Vanguard is the most fun in 3, I'll grant you that, but in 2 is too inconsistent on the higher (ie fun) difficulties.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm replaying the whole trilogy right now, but it's the first time I'm playing on PC.

ME1 on PC is legitimately a Good Game, no caveats required. The combat is a lot less rear end with M+KB.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SgtSteel91 posted:

So some new shots got released and I gotta say, this shot of Cora looks pretty good

She looks like Claire from House of Cards. Which is a good thing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cowcaster posted:

i know when i think bioware games i think "serviceable, competent ai companions"

The squadmate AI in 2 was pretty much perfect, I rarely had to pause the game and say "NO MIRANDA GODDAMN IT CAST OVERLOAD"

Then again every trilogy playthrough I do, I end up just doing all the work. I just did the fight at the end of recruiting Liara in ME1 and I forgot how absolutely braindead your guys are, they just stand there and let the Krogan kill them in the first 2 seconds of the fight even on Normal.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ub posted:

What if.... BioWare couldn't reuse any animations and had to make all new ones??

To be fair it probably saves a lot of money and only ridiculous people notice or care, I've played the games like 10 times each and I didn't notice until you dropped that truth bomb .gif up in here

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lycus posted:

As commerce areas go, the ME2 Citadel was as boring as possible. Stack of three rectangles and nothing interesting to look at.

ME1 had one town and it was pretty awesome.

ME2 had three towns. Omega was pretty awesome and fun to explore. Citadel was ridiculously bad, especially since you can see the "old" Citadel town from Anderson's window but you can't go shop there what the gently caress. Illium was as boring as Citadel, in fact a little moreso.

ME3 was back to one town, but this time Citadel was properly large and also changed frequently throughout the game, which made going back there not so bad.

The only reason ME2 gets a pass for boring towns is that you only have to visit each one like once, maybe twice if you're obsessive about buying everything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I look forward to once again playing and enjoying the gently caress out of a BioWare game while reading all the funny posts from people who have been mad at the company for literally over a decade but still keep playing their games and/or making GBS threads up their threads.

The cycle continues. :shepface:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I wore a Run-DMC shirt to work yesterday and my boss congratulated me for being politically aware. So, on the plus side, I get to wear what I want, on the unplus side, my boss is a loving moron.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Trast posted:

hoodie doesn't look hideously nerdy

Most illogical, Shepard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
My urge to always play a female character first is getting severely undermined by my urge to be as gay as possible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Mymla posted:

The first part of this sentence is the only actual bad sign for this game's quality I've seen.

Inquisition is seriously, stupidly huge so either they're pulling some kind of clever semantics where "zone" equals "whole planet including 5 story missions and 3 towns" or the amount of pointless emptiness will be kind of insane.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Good to see Marlon Quaye getting work.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

I'm having a Mandela Effect moment, I could have sworn that song was used for Dragon Age 2, a game which definitely could be accurately described as "the new poo poo".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SgtSteel91 posted:

I think DA2 was advertised as "Darker, Edgier, Sexier" at one point too

It was "Grimmer, bloodier, sexier", I remember that much because it's hard to forget someone seemingly equating blood and sex.

Groetgaffel posted:

Correct as you are about DA2 being poo poo, DA: O was The New poo poo, whilst DA2 had the Button = Awesome connection.
To be honest I don't remember a shred of DA: I marketing. Hell, I don't even remember buying it, I just realised I had it sitting in my Origin library at the start of January this year.

Inquisition marketing was insanely low-key, I bought it as soon as it came out but just about the only thing I knew was that you'd get to have a castle and you could date a fabulous Spanish man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's always weird when gamers post bad ad copy as if bad ad copy is not a thing that has existed for like 1000 years.

Somewhere I'm sure there's a website that aggregates all the hilarious things that record labels have said about their bands over the years. That stuff alone is so much worse than anything Bioware has written.