Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Regarding reparations, I think one of the biggest obstacles is the absurd attachment that people have to their tax dollars, even after they've sent their tax money to the government.

"Why should I have to pay black people for poo poo? I'm not descended from slave owners, etc." Well, good news: you won't have to! You're not being asked to write a check to Random Black Person for historical crimes, you're just sending taxes to the government like always, and the government is distributing some of those taxes in the form of reparations, whatever form that might take. It's not your money, it's not my money, it's the government's money, and the government essentially holds that money for the use and improvement of society, and it is our society as a whole that owes the black community for things like slavery and disenfranchisement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

A black baby fell into a gorilla enclosure and they shot the gorilla because they couldn't guarantee they could get to the baby before the gorilla noticed it, because in a "pick one" situation the human life is more important than the gorilla's life.

Then a lot of people got really mad that they "murdered" an innocent gorilla to save a baby who was lost by an "irresponsible mother" and all these coded words started getting thrown around and eventually it spawned this alt right "dicks out for harambe" thing. But the core of the issue is basically that these people think they should have let the baby die instead of the gorilla because it's that terrible mother's fault that the baby was in the cage. Cuz, you know, only black moms lose track of their kids at the zoo. No white child has ever zoomed around like a cracked out ping pong ball trying to see every aminal possible.

Wait, the kid that got into the enclosure was black? I don't remember that being mentioned in literally any of the news stories about it.

Yeah, I can see how that would turn the whole story pretty toxic.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

lol. White people claiming not to "get" "black names" is one of my favorite things. Especially when they're just deliberately obtuse. I know a guy who will literally insist on pronouncing names like "D'Anthony" as "Dan-thony" and it's like, what the gently caress point are you even trying to make? Sorry that black people aren't mired in conventional thinking when it comes to names, skyler aidyn jones.

Crazy white people, saying names they way they're spelled...?

If it's supposed to be pronounced like Dee-Anthony, it make more sense to spell it DeAnthony or something. It's not a matter of "the names are unconventional," it's that they are written in a way that doesn't really correspond with how they're pronounced. Other names that begin with D' use the apostrophe to indicate elision. On the other hand, doing it more than once after being corrected is a major rear end in a top hat move.

Beyoncé, on the other hand, it spelled exactly the way it's pronounced, and even uses an accent to clarify that pronunciation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

English isn't really the language I'd pick to try and die on the "rules of pronouncing words are consistent" hill. I can give you plenty of white as gently caress names that don't follow the same pronunciation rules as each other. Names and English both don't follow consistent rules, welcome to the language.

Yeah, but you really can't fault people for making the wrong assumption either way, can you?

EDIT: To summarize, names are weird and people will occasionally pronounce any name they aren't familiar with incorrectly. Not helpful either is the fact that many people will pronounce their names differently from other people who have the same name, or differently from how they would be pronounced in the language of origin. So, you're basically guaranteed to get it wrong occasionally. My surname is German in origin, but being Canadian a lot of people will pronounce it as French, but my family and I use a neutral English pronunciation most of the time. Not a big deal, when people mispronounce things they usually aren't doing it on purpose.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Nov 8, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Yeah but the original post you replied to was expressly about someone purposely saying it wrong and refusing to correct themselves.

Yeah, that's unacceptable, fully. There's no excuse to mispronounce a name after you've been told how the person whose name it is tells you how they prefer it to be pronounced. I missed that part originally.

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

PT6A I know you are pretty incurably Like This but you can be Like This in some other thread because all us black folk got rounded up in this ghetto and I'll be hosed if I'll let you pull your poo poo in either of the all of two threads we're allowed to post in now. You don't get to tell black people you know what's best for them.

For anyone who read the QCS thread, this is another good example of the borderline poo poo that's impossible to request mod action about without just drawing heat on yourself for being a crazy negro whining about poo poo for no reason.

Fair enough, sorry about that. I'll stop now.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Just wanted to say sorry, I should think more and talk out my rear end less.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Sorry for posting in this thread again*, but I just want to call this poo poo out because it's unbelievably loving stupid:

Grognan posted:

except for the poor ones, you dumb poo poo.

You fucks are a text search and replace from Freep.

If poor white people were the one white bracket that didn't vote for Trump, that's even more evidence that this election was about white supremacy and had nothing to do with economic anxiety. If it were economic anxiety causing people to vote for Trump, poor white people would've voted for Trump in greater numbers than rich white people but -- surprise! -- they didn't. Because the election was an endorsement of white supremacy.

* I've been thinking about how to make this post for the past few days, because I've had a lot to think about between my well-deserved callout and watching this election, and I just want to say: I'm sorry for what I said earlier, it was unacceptable. TB was right that I was and am a racist, even though I'm not proud of it, and I need to take responsibility for it, educate myself and stop being a racist. I also, along with all other white people, need to call out racism wherever I see it within my own community, which is something that I have not done enough of in my life. This election has shown me the end result of institutionalized and normalized racism, which I was either unable to see or willfully ignoring, and I want to change it within myself and within society. That being said, please, everyone: call me out in no uncertain terms if/when I say something racist. Yes, it hurt my feelings, but, gently caress it, my feelings needed to be hurt. EDIT: And, to be clear, I'm not saying this because I want, expect, or have a right to expect forgiveness for the lovely things I've said and done -- at this point I haven't done anything to earn it.

I'll shut up now.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Nov 11, 2016

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Yeah if he fucks with trade agreements like he promised his base he would, lots of cushy white collar jobs are going to evaporate.

On election night, I went over to the pub, and ran into a Texan acquaintance of mine who's working up here in Canada on a NAFTA visa, but he totally supported Trump! If Trump does what he says, this guy will presumably be kicked right the gently caress out, but I guess that doesn't matter to him, because he just didn't like Hillary.

And, yeah, having trade wars will mean protecting the American market against imports, but you'd have to be a drooling moron to not realize that it will also cause other countries to reciprocate and, suddenly, it's harder for American companies to export the products they produce. Lower demand for American products abroad will mean fewer jobs, of course, but why bother thinking about that side of things?

This brings us to the inescapable conclusion: the actions of the American electorate are not consistent with an election based around economic anxiety at all. Someone should make a chart similar to the "abortion chart" that shows that being anti-choice is more about punishing women for having sex, that shows that this election was indeed about maintaining white supremacy. The pieces all fit perfectly, and as much as I'm sure a lot of well-intentioned people want to ignore that, you can't. White America needs to own this. What happened to the mindset that gave us "gee golly, the Muslim community [that frequently speaks out against terrorism, if you ever bother to loving listen to them] needs to speak out against this sort of thing!" every time there's a terrorist attack committed by a Muslim? Meanwhile, this has happened due to a cancer in the white community that no one wants to address, and far too many white people are content to sit by and twiddle their thumbs, and talk about how it was really about WWC economic anxiety.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

negromancer posted:

Another huge problem is the overdiagnosis of intelligent black children (especially one far and above white children of comparable age) with ADD or ADHD because the rote learning material is slow and garbage, but if you're a genius white child they just pull you out of the system and give you all the things necessary to be a superstar.

White people literally cannot handle genius black kids because it breaks their worldview. My mom taught me that after multiple teachers tried to get me on meds, and I lasted a total of 3 weeks on Ritalin. The dirty secret is that it helps average people focus, but turns smart kids into zombies.

It was to the point where a white teacher at a private school outright told my mom I had to be cheating or there was something developmentally wrong with me because there's no way a black child can be that smart.

Jesus, that's hosed up.

Out of curiosity, how would you propose to solve this? I've heard a lot of criticism of gifted programs and the race/class/gender divide they usually exacerbate, and it always seems to end with "therefore, get rid of those programs" instead of "therefore, stop being racist and sexist assholes about admission to those programs." As a black person who was treated the way you were by the education system, do you think gifted programs are even salvageable? On one hand, I can see it being extremely hard to reform in a way that won't promote institutional racism, but on the other hand, when white people say that we need to get rid of those programs entirely it strikes me as a bit more of a "well, burn it all down if we have to let black kids in!"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

blackguy32 posted:

In other news, New Balance seems to be scrambling to try to cover up repair their image after a white supremacist group claimed them to be the shoes of white people.

Was that before or after they released a statement supporting Donald Trump and then tried to walk that back with uncommon urgency?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Koalas March posted:

Here's another thing I hate, whites/liberals/etc keep saying "We've gotten through everything, we'll get from this"

But what they don't understand or willfully ignore is that not all of us got through it. People were killed. And they will continue to be killed. Jut because the country "made it" and you exist doesn't mean that many people weren't lost.

There's been a huge spike in violence. There will still be violence. This streak of white supremacy will only fester until it's crushed. And it must be crushed.

Yeah, that's the line here in Canada too -- "nothing's really going to change for us anyway". Well, guess what? The civil war in Syria probably isn't going to materially change my life either, but I'm still free to express my displeasure at it and see what, if anything, I can do to lessen its effects or stop it.

I mean, yeah, I'm actually quite pleased that there's comparatively little chance of anything significantly impacting my life as a result of Trump's election compared to an American or particularly an American who's a minority, but that doesn't make it right to simply ignore it as a result.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

A perfect example of this is how many white people thought Rhianna's "Work" was just nonsense syllables. Saw one youtube teen covering it say "I wrote some real lyrics for Work!"

:psyduck: What do these people think when they're listening to a song that's in a language that's not even related to English? Or simply when they hear people speaking an entirely different language, for that matter?

Death Bot posted:

I grew up on white dad music, and spent a very long time thinking of vocals as basically another instrument rather than having much of a message. So much of it was either thinly veiled "I wanna bang" or nonsense words.

I can definitely see how someone who grew up hearing The Message (I didn't hear it until last year I think) or rap in general, where the content of the lyrics is a bit more of the formula, would have a different relationship to music than me, who heard the Beatles sing the incredible line "And when I touch you I feel happy inside"

There's plenty of white dad music that has a deeper message you can only appreciate by actually listening to the lyrics, even if it's still not socially conscious to the same degree as The Message (or maybe my White Dad was broken and listened to different music from most). You can choose to engage with a song on a superficial level, or choose to engage with it on a deeper level (if present). I would tend to agree with Lightning Knight's take on white privilege and how it affects that choice:

Lightning Knight posted:

As to privilege, I'm sure that, that notion, that underprivileged people of all kinds would pay more attention out of a justified suspicion, but I'd also argue that as somebody who is privileged, I for example could afford to just listen to songs by Beyonce and not look for any hidden meaning because if there was one I'm only going to appreciate it on an academic level. Her strong message on, say, black women should feel empowered and good by virtue of their black womanhood just isn't going to mean as much to me as, say, TB, because I have the privilege of not having to engage with that experience, ever, if I so choose.

And I would add that, when a person with privilege to actually critically listen to a song (or consider any work of art) made by someone without privilege, it's inherently going to be a "challenging" experience, for lack of a better word, because it will often remind of and confront that inequality. Since this is usually an uncomfortable experience for most privileged people, even if it can be rewarding, it doesn't surprise me terribly that it's often avoided by choice.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Dexo posted:

Also a song can have a whole different context based solely on where it falls in an artist's project

Formation's feels like a completely different song when it comes at the end of Lemonade compared to just hearing it as a single.

Ditto with "i" from Kendrick Lamar which in the context of his album hits waaaaay harder than the single.

Or in the context of the artist's life, or the historical context in which it was written, for example: David Bowie's Blackstar, Leonard Cohen's You Want It Darker, possibly Don Killuminati (though 2Pac presumably didn't know it would be his last album while writing it), Kortatu's song Desmond Tutu, etc.

Really, music is like any form of literature and failing to consider it in context means you're missing a whole bunch. And while arguably you're not missing much if you choose to listen to The Beatles or Nickelback in a very superficial way, it's certainly inconsiderate at the very least to reduce a work that was intended to have a strong message to just an assembly of pleasing sounds, and doubly so when it's a privileged group doing so to art created by people who are outside that group.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Just want to say this was a very good watch, and it cleared up some poo poo I never really understood from the black point of view. I think the real question is how you get the average white person to watch something like this and apply empathy and critical thought to what they see. How do you make sure this is seen by the people who need to see it the most?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Domestic Amuse posted:

Mad enough to spend $10 just to prove a lovely point.

I tried to bring poo poo like this to the attention of the admins in QCS, but just take a look at that thread and see how it turned out.

They run a business based on people spending $10 to prove a lovely point. What motivation do they have to crack down on it?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Why would that case bring an end to the death penalty? Is there anyone that actually feels sympathetic towards that piece of poo poo? If so, uh, the problems with racism in the States are continuing to blow my mind. There's always more and it's always worse.

I'm against the death penalty on principle and would like to see it abolished, but if it absolutely must exist, this is exactly the sort of person who most deserves to have it applied.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Here's my hot take: Latinx people who are white will eventually, probably soon, be accepted as white, and Latinx people who are black, mestizo, indigenous, or biracial will continue to be not-white and treated like poo poo.

Regarding the whole "whites are terrible" business, it's probably true way more often than not, so the whole "well NOT ALL [X]" reflex that comes up every time a privileged group is criticized is pretty tiring. Even white people who are generally opposed to racism usually only do it when it's convenient to them, and not when it would actually affect them negatively to do so (and I'm as guilty of this as anyone). If you're white, your ego should not be so fragile that you can't critically examine your own actions and attitudes without having a whiny breakdown. Imagine what would happen if you faced racial bias that actually made the faintest loving difference to your life, like non-white people do!

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Idia posted:

Americans actually don't work as hard as 1st gen immigrants. That work hard ethic dies down by 3rd generation within all racial groups...So your regular ol white Irish/Anglo/German America actually doesn't work that hard. They have it pretty easy.

Yeah, but for some reason pointing out that white people have it easier translates in some people's minds to "therefore, if you're white and successful, you did no work at all." I don't know why, I have no problem accepting that privilege and sheer dumb luck on a few occasions played a major role in me being where I am today. I've also worked hard along the way, but I sure as gently caress didn't get here by that alone.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

negromancer posted:

Of course they had nothing to do with BLM. Like...I'm not even sure how one assumes they do. I mean, by that logic can I assume every white person is in the KKK until otherwise proven?

I assume every person linking BLM to this incident is literally this person:

http://www.clickhole.com/blogpost/if-black-lives-matter-isnt-racist-hate-group-then--4610

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Guys, I'm like 95% sure hackbunny is being sarcastic. At least I really hope.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

biracial bear for uncut posted:

It's like the bullshit where a thousand black girls can get kidnapped and murdered without a peep but holy poo poo if a white girl goes missing is everyone going to hear about it for seven loving years.

I wish it were only seven years. The media is still going on and on about JonBenet or some poo poo, and that poo poo has to be like 2 decades old at this point...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

negromancer posted:

Almost 2 decades old. Meanwhile about 19,000 black girls have disappeared since then.

And I'm guessing a non-zero number of them could possibly benefit from media attention right now, instead of JonBenet who has been dead nearly 20 years and nothing anyone can do will change that.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Gringostar posted:

Older country music was absolutely ripped off from blues, but there have been some legit progress made by white artists (Willie Nelson is the big one) that have morphed it into something so different that you really can't say that anymore.

On the other hand, Willie Nelson made a reggae album. I love him, but let's not pretend he hasn't done some questionable poo poo.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Waterbed Wendy posted:

Sister Rosetta Tharpe is a favorite of mine. She was such an incredible badass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR2gR6SZC2M

Jesus, this is loving good. Thanks for introducing me to an artist I need to listen to. Clearly an influence on a lot of the music I love (or a super uncanny coincidence), and yet never acknowledged... hmm...

Regarding musical appropriation, what do people think about Paul Simon's Graceland, both in terms of appropriation and the fact that it involved travelling to South Africa during Apartheid? Personally, it's one of my favourite albums, and I think he at least tried, perhaps not as much as he could have, to credit the artists he worked with, but at the same time I can understand why it pissed a lot of people off -- and not unreasonably so.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Saying it wasn't about race would be more convincing if FAU hadn't mentioned his "history of bad posting" which I can only take to mean "posting while black," given the circumstances.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Taerkar posted:

Because apparently the worst thing you can do to someone is make them feel guilty about casual racism or any other issue.

I think part of the problem is that, discounting people who are racist and actually proud of it for the moment, there's been a lot of work done on making people realize that it's bad to be racist, and I think to a certain degree, people have really internalized that message. The problem is that there hasn't been equal effectiveness in actually explaining what racism is and how it works, at least on a societal level, so you end up with a lot of people who probably genuinely do believe it's very bad to be racist, but are unaware of the ways in which they have been and continue to be racist and reinforce white supremacy. Because of this, when you point out that they're doing something racist, it upsets them a great deal precisely because they've internalized the message that racism is bad and they don't want to confront the unpleasant truth that they've been doing bad things.

Getting people to be introspective enough to analyze and confront their own flaws is going to be a difficult problem, but going forward I think one way to address this in the next generation is to spend more time educating people, preferably while they're still quite young, on the actual processes of racism and white supremacy, instead of repeating the "racism is bad, m'kay" message and acting like that's the goal instead of the starting point.

EDIT: Sadly, I don't see a lot of hope for people that are just going to get angry and shut down when they're confronted with their own racism, but I'm quite sure that not addressing it is not a solution, so the best bet is probably to confront people and hope that some of them listen. I'd also suggest that "winning converts" away from racism probably has more significant implications on people of colour than simple electoral success, which is why this debate really shouldn't be framed in terms of "why Hillary lost and how we can fix that."

PT6A fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 13, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Taerkar posted:

I didn't even know about Mali until Civ IV. :sigh:

Southern education at its finest.

You never played Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego? You poor, deprived child.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Darth Walrus posted:

Car crash brain damage? Sure seems like it did a number on Kanye and Tila Tequila.

And Gary Busey!

Oh, and I just checked, and to no one's surprise, he's also a Trump supporter. I swear... something about Trump attracts the mentally unwell or something...

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

420 Gank Mid posted:

Who exactly says this?

The voices in his head, I assume.

Context: he's been pissing and moaning in the rural poverty thread about how we're not focused enough on the white working class since people keep insisting that black people have it even worse, all other things being equal. The distinction he fails to recognize is that no one in this thread has, at any point, claimed we can or should ignore the issues of global poverty to focus exclusively on the plight of people of colour in the United States.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Buschmaki posted:

My family thinks my uncle was murdered by correctional officers in prison dude. Saying that a thing isn't that bad doesn't mean that it is good, especially if it's not as good as you think.

There's that, and there's also the fact that I don't hear a bunch (or, indeed, any) black people in the US saying "gently caress starving people and refugees, pay attention to meeeeee and fix all of my problems first," like we currently do with all the people bemoaning the state of poor white men in the States. And, as was mentioned, those white people who are currently complaining about their lot have a gently caress sight more political influence on the government of the United States than any American does on what goes on in developing countries. And, as was also pointed out, even people in developing countries with a worse standard of living than the average black American enjoy certain benefits that black Americans do not -- such as not being disproportionately targeted by the police because of one's race.

It's really an entirely different situation in almost every way.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

A big flaming stink posted:

Crusty white dude, check.

Hotties (obviously young white women) in the center, check.

Uh..., ok let's put some super sanitized black guys on the fringes (no natural hair, suits) annddd done!

honestly I'm surprised they didn't put one of the black guys in military fatigues

You realize those aren't just two random black guys they picked to add diversity to the cover, right? Why would either of them be in fatigues?

EDIT: I mean, possibly they were picked at random from the pool of black, politically-involved media figures for the sake of diversity, but it would make no sense to dress them as soldiers in any case.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 19, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

In wypipo stay racist news, this week Very Famous and Wealthy Black Person Lebron James' house was spray painted with a racist slur (no prize for guessing which slur it was), and a noose was found inside the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History (just a few days after another noose was found on a tree outside the nearby Hirshhorn museum).

In case any white liberals still feel like we're living in a post-racial society.

And Bill Maher used the n-word on his show last night, but we already had a pretty good idea he was racist.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Hey did you know that as long as you're not white it's super cool and okay for you to say "friend of the family" all the time and you're allowed and no one can tell you not to. Also blacks shouldn't breed and they are responsible for all crime and deserve to live in poverty because they're all crackheads. But I'm not racist because I'm not white, got youuuuuuuu.

Yeah, one of my friends does this big time (Indo-Fijian, if it makes any difference), minus the last part about saying black people shouldn't breed or anything like that. I hesitate to call him on it because gently caress knows he's actually had to deal with racism, which he's told me about, and I haven't, but it still makes me a bit uncomfortable because it's not a thing he ought to do. How should I address that, as a white person? Is it my place to say something, or should I just leave it alone? I don't want to whitesplain to him, but on the other hand he still probably shouldn't be using the n-word to refer to himself or anyone else. What's the correct thing to do?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

While there's an inexcusable degree of White Saviour present in Game of Thrones, and many other problematic elements, there are also honest depictions of the brutality of slavery*, criticisms of "colorblindness"/"a rising tide lifts all ships" (if you read into it), and decent takedowns of sexism and toxic masculinity. So it's not 100% bad.

* I get why that's a very sensitive topic, but I think there's a value to making white people look at what it actually meant for people to be considered property -- it's not just "oh, they worked at a job they couldn't choose to quit and didn't get paid," which is quite bad enough, but also, "they got raped and beaten and killed and maimed and torn away from their family and friends at a whim." That's what slavery was. That's the stuff they don't tell you in school, at least not in those words. EDIT: And while I'm sure it's a very unpleasant reminder of the crimes committed against people whose ancestors suffered those things, in a lot of cases it's whitey's first actual exposure to what that poo poo must have been like. They need a scroll at the bottom saying "Hey, white guys? Yeah, that's what your ancestors did to people of colour -- that's why, just maybe, reparations aren't some liberal plot to gently caress you over."

PT6A fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 20, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

stone cold posted:

but seriously grum writes a lot of rape and pedophilic rape

What's especially weird is that the showrunners took some scenes that were consensual* in the books and turned them into violent rape, like there wasn't already enough rape. That was pretty hosed up.

*EDIT: Yeah, one of those wasn't consensual, it just wasn't violent. The show made it also violent in addition to not being consensual, I misspoke.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 20, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

stone cold posted:

The one "interesting," thing wrt your post, pt6a, was like, the stuff with Daenerys and Khal Drogo was already super gross, but wasn't she even younger in the books?

Well, in one way it was a lot more gross and in another way it was less gross. She was younger, but on the other hand it wasn't physically violent, so it's hard to measure if one is "worse" than the other. I don't know you can really rank violent, physical rape as better or worse than statutory rape, because both are very bad in their own ways and if you start down that path, it leads to weird poo poo like "oh, well why didn't she resist him?" I don't mean to defend GRRM's weirdness, I just found it odd that the show made it also extremely violent in addition to being a situation where she couldn't meaningfully consent.

The other scene was when Jaime raped Cersei in the sept, and in the book it was totally consensual, disgusting incest. Again -- it's plenty weird and disturbing as is, why also make it violent? That's on the showrunners.

EDIT: It was wrong of me to call the first one "consensual" when I meant "not violent", I'll own that.

PT6A fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 20, 2017

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

SardonicTyrant posted:

Shine on, you crazy dino?

Good, but then the dino must integrate the stupid but iconic prism thingy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Forceholy posted:

Wait, Taylor Swift's nickname is The White Devil? Fucks sake.

I don't think it's official, but it fits.

• Locked thread